Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Players gone, players returning in 2018

Started by redleg, June 15, 2017, 08:28:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

So.....who is gone for sure, and who is coming to The Hill, or coming back to The Hill, for the 2018 season?
Blaine Knight will be back.
Bonfield is coming back.
Spanberger is gone.

Who else? Help me out here.
WPS!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

jry04

June 15, 2017, 08:41:06 am #1 Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:44:36 am by jry04
Quote from: redleg on June 15, 2017, 08:28:45 am
So.....who is gone for sure, and who is coming to The Hill, or coming back to The Hill, for the 2018 season?
Blaine Knight will be back.
Bonfield is coming back.
Spanberger is gone.

Who else? Help me out here.
WPS!
Spanberger, Stephan, Arledge, Alberius, Chadwick, and Taco are all gone.

Bonfield, Shaddy, and Knight are all back.

Out of our every day lineup, we return 7 of our 9 hitters. On the mound, we will return Knight, McKinney (maybe), Campbell, Reindl, Kopps, Murphy, Cronin, and Lee as our top pitchers. We will lose a few guys off the current roster due to be asking to look elsewhere because they are buried on the depth chart. Probably a position player or two and a few pitchers who were not going to factor in.

The following recruits were top 500 prospects off the top of my head. If I miss any others, then feel free to add to the list. They should all be making it to campus.
OF Cole Turney (ranked as high as #17 high school recruit in the country. Top 200 MLB draft prospect. LOTS of power from the left hand side)
RHP/SS Bryce Bonnin (Top 75 MLB Draft Prospect, very good high school bat, but throws mid 90s on the mound with a plus slider)
RHP Jackson Rutledge (Top 150 MLB Draft Prospect, about 6'8" and throws low to mid 90s with sink)
LHP Hunter Milligan (Top 500 MLB Draft Prospect)
C Casey Opitz (Top 400 MLB Draft Prospect)

Obviously we have other guys who will be valuable to the team in the recruiting class, but these were the guys we were really worried about potentially losing that appear to be coming to campus.

rzrbkman

Gosser, the backup catcher completed his Eligibility.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 08:41:06 am
Spanberger, Stephan, Arledge, Alberius, Chadwick, and Taco are all gone.

Bonfield, Shaddy, and Knight are all back.

Out of our every day lineup, we return 7 of our 9 hitters. On the mound, we will return Knight, McKinney (maybe), Campbell, Reindl, Kopps, Murphy, Cronin, and Lee as our top pitchers. We will lose a few guys off the current roster due to be asking to look elsewhere because they are buried on the depth chart. Probably a position player or two and a few pitchers who were not going to factor in.

The following recruits were top 500 prospects off the top of my head. If I miss any others, then feel free to add to the list. They should all be making it to campus.
OF Cole Turney (ranked as high as #17 high school recruit in the country. Top 200 MLB draft prospect. LOTS of power from the left hand side)
RHP/SS Bryce Bonnin (Top 75 MLB Draft Prospect, very good high school bat, but throws mid 90s on the mound with a plus slider)
LHP Jackson Rutledge (Top 150 MLB Draft Prospect, about 6'8" and throws low to mid 90s with sink)
RHP Hunter Milligan (Top 500 MLB Draft Prospect)

Obviously we have other guys who will be valuable to the team in the recruiting class, but these were the guys we were really worried about potentially losing that appear to be coming to campus.

I believe Milligan is LH.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 08:41:06 am
LHP Jackson Rutledge (Top 150 MLB Draft Prospect, about 6'8" and throws low to mid 90s with sink)
RHP Hunter Milligan (Top 500 MLB Draft Prospect)

It should be said that we have a prospect or two (as does everyone) every year who comes in rated highly in this top group that never really works out

jry04

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 15, 2017, 10:33:00 am
I believe Milligan is LH.
You are right, and Rutledge is RHP. I got the two flipped.
Quote from: dotnet on June 15, 2017, 10:34:12 am
It should be said that we have a prospect or two (as does everyone) every year who comes in rated highly in this top group that never really works out
No doubt, and this class won't be any different. We will also have a player or two off the radar that end up performing like a top 500 prospect, but were an afterthought when we got them.

Knot2brite

I would not be surprised that by the end of the summer that some of the players from last years team are in other uniforms for next season
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 15, 2017, 05:44:26 pm
I would not be surprised that by the end of the summer that some of the players from last years team are in other uniforms for next season

Always happens. Especially when players DVH was expecting to lose to the draft end up returning. Have to gamble. Numbers always work themselves out.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

tennesseehogwild

Guess who's back?
Shaddy's back!
Shaddy's back...Shaddy's back... Shaddy's back...Shaddy's back.

billmontgomery10

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on June 16, 2017, 06:45:02 pm
Guess who's back?
Shaddy's back!
Shaddy's back...Shaddy's back... Shaddy's back...Shaddy's back.

Yup, no team wanted to take him. He's going to have a battle on his hands next year to find a starting position with the incoming talent and the maturation of Williams at second base. One thing is for sure, he better get in to a summer program and work on his defensive skills at 2b and also learn how to bunt.

Scott7703

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on June 18, 2017, 02:32:23 pm
Yup, no team wanted to take him. He's going to have a battle on his hands next year to find a starting position with the incoming talent and the maturation of Williams at second base. One thing is for sure, he better get in to a summer program and work on his defensive skills at 2b and also learn how to bunt.

He is going to start unless he is hurt, in trouble, or not eligible.

jry04

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on June 18, 2017, 02:32:23 pm
Shaddy is the starting 2B barring injury. According to DVH last week, Williams isn't even 2nd at 2B. Kenley or Burch is. If I had to put money down on whether Williams is here or not next year I would say he is gone. With that said, I hope he is able to return.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 18, 2017, 04:45:58 pm
Shaddy is the starting 2B barring injury. According to DVH last week, Williams isn't even 2nd at 2B. Kenley or Burch is. If I had to put money down on whether Williams is here or not next year I would say he is gone. With that said, I hope he is able to return.

That isn't counting any incoming freshman either

Tejano Jawg

So the notion that C-Span coming back unless he was drafted high was just a fantasy? Or was he gone anyway?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Maddhog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on June 19, 2017, 10:27:03 am
So the notion that C-Span coming back unless he was drafted high was just a fantasy? Or was he gone anyway?

He has no more eligibility.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Supermark101

Quote from: Paul Westerhawg on June 18, 2017, 03:20:30 pm
Jaxon Williams ain't starting at second base next season. I'm baffled by the talk on here about his supposed maturation. Where in the hell is this nonsense coming from? Van Horn specifically said he has a very long way to go. He can't hit.

BUT can he bunt?

Grizzlyfan

Big Nasty 34

SPAL

Quote from: Paul Westerhawg on June 18, 2017, 03:20:30 pm
Jaxon Williams ain't starting at second base next season. I'm baffled by the talk on here about his supposed maturation. Where in the hell is this nonsense coming from? Van Horn specifically said he has a very long way to go. He can't hit.

I've seen very few people saying anything about Williams. Outside of the one guy in this thread, very few people even think he will be here bext year. I didn't even have him starting with Shaddy leaving..... certainly not now.

SPAL

Actually, it's silly to be baffled by one guys comment. It's silly to get that upset over another's opinion. I'm baffled by the fact that people get that upset over a message board post. I don't see that kind of attitude around here often.

dotnet

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on June 19, 2017, 10:27:03 am

It was always a fantasy.  I don't know anyone with experience watching these things who really thought there was a chance he would come back.

I think some people assumed he would be a second round pick after he went nuts at the SECT, and that may have skewed some expectations. 

Maddhog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 19, 2017, 11:04:09 am
Didn't he just play 3 seasons?

I was thinking a played a year of JUCO.  Sorry.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

HogFansReunited

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 19, 2017, 11:23:30 am
I've seen very few people saying anything about Williams. Outside of the one guy in this thread, very few people even think he will be here bext year. I didn't even have him starting with Shaddy leaving..... certainly not now.

I honestly liked what I saw from Williams. Hell, I remember him batting at .500 at the beginning of the season and I didn't notice any defensive weaknesses either. I agree that there is no way he will start with Shaddy coming back though.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

dotnet

Quote from: HogFansReunited on June 19, 2017, 12:47:06 pm
I honestly liked what I saw from Williams. Hell, I remember him batting at .500 at the beginning of the season and I didn't notice any defensive weaknesses either. I agree that there is no way he will start with Shaddy coming back though.

He hit below 250 on the year, and almost all of those at bats were against weak OOC opponents. 

His fielding percentage was closer to Shaddy than anyone else's.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: dotnet on June 19, 2017, 02:35:07 pm
He hit below 250 on the year, and almost all of those at bats were against weak OOC opponents. 

His fielding percentage was closer to Shaddy than anyone else's.

I know this, I was just pointing out that he showed some promise.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

hogman64

Quote from: HogFansReunited on June 19, 2017, 07:11:24 pm

actually he really didn't once he was hitting off of better pitching.....he has a long way to go, not impossible but hard to see him being a regular in the SEC...

CJ HOG

Quote from: HogFansReunited on June 19, 2017, 07:11:24 pm
I'm with you HFR, I thought early on he showed some promise as well and then fizzled out. I figured he at least had the potential to make the jump by next season. Now I'd be surprised to see him back after DVH's comments and the apparent upcoming logjam to make this roster next year. We'll find out soon enough I reckon.

Youngsta71701

So when will we know the grand total of players coming back and new signees coming in?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

dotnet

bulldog04

Jaxon Williams will be attending Howard CC per his twitter

Scott7703

Quote from: bulldog04 on June 22, 2017, 10:33:17 am
Jaxon Williams will be attending Howard CC per his twitter

Won't be the last player we lose. The negative to having draft eligible guys return.

jry04

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 22, 2017, 09:57:24 pm

Won't be the last player we lose. The negative to having draft eligible guys return.
And when you are already buried on the projected depth chart entering the offseason. Could he have improved? Sure, and I think he would have. However, straight from DVH's mouth, before we ever knew Shaddy was returning it sounded like Williams would be 3rd on the depth chart at 2B.

Scott7703

Quote from: jry04 on June 23, 2017, 10:28:32 am
And when you are already buried on the projected depth chart entering the offseason. Could he have improved? Sure, and I think he would have. However, straight from DVH's mouth, before we ever knew Shaddy was returning it sounded like Williams would be 3rd on the depth chart at 2B.

How we could expect Burch to contribute more than Williams after the season each had is unreal to me.

Paul Westerhawg

He just did not have the hit tool needed to be an everyday guy. The defense was always going to be an issue, but this was all about his lack of ability with the bat. I wish him nothing but the absolute best, but this was the least surprising development anyone could have imagined.

hogfan14

DVH said Heiss and Krull are transferring to juco

imisswarrenlinn

Hey all. Haven't been on hogville in forever (see years), but baseball discussion is slim to none elsewhere. Everyone just wants to gripe about Bielema and do "predict the number of wins for the football season" threads. I wondered if anyone had any insight following the Van Horn press conference today. Specifically that the recruiting class will likely only include 13 guys. We had commits from 23. Add Bolden and subtract the three that signed and that leaves us with 21. So 8 guys are going to Juco. Bonds announced he is going to Juco. Any idea on the other 7? He also mentioned 5 RHP coming in next year. Two of those are Bonnin and Rutledge. Four more are committed (Ziegenbein, Kelly, Ramage, Vermillion). Unless he is counting a position player as a RHP, you have to think 1 of those isn't going to make it to campus.

So beyond the first 6, I don't have a clue??
1. Turney, 2. Rutledge, 3. Bonnin, 4. Bolden, 5. Opitz, 6. Milligan, 7-13???
Prettiest little girl ever I saw, stood on the banks of the Arkansas. Her eyes were wild and her stare was mean. She's the prettiest d@mn girl ever I seen.

ricepig

Quote from: imisswarrenlinn on June 28, 2017, 12:51:57 pm
Hey all. Haven't been on hogville in forever (see years), but baseball discussion is slim to none elsewhere. Everyone just wants to gripe about Bielema and do "predict the number of wins for the football season" threads. I wondered if anyone had any insight following the Van Horn press conference today. Specifically that the recruiting class will likely only include 13 guys. We had commits from 23. Add Bolden and subtract the three that signed and that leaves us with 21. So 8 guys are going to Juco. Bonds announced he is going to Juco. Any idea on the other 7? He also mentioned 5 RHP coming in next year. Two of those are Bonnin and Rutledge. Four more are committed (Ziegenbein, Kelly, Ramage, Vermillion). Unless he is counting a position player as a RHP, you have to think 1 of those isn't going to make it to campus.

Martin is coming for sure.

rolyat_2008

DVH mentioned 10 by name in the press conference.

Martin
Kjerstad
Bonnin
Turney
Rutledge
Milligan
Vermillion
Ramage
Bolden
Opitz

SPAL

Glad to have you. We like (love) talking baseball and we have an awesome group here to discuss it. We talk anything from summer ball to the minor leagues to the show. We love the hogs. I hope you stick around and add to and enjoy the discussion.

I see your question has already been answered, I just wanted to thank you for dropping by.

imisswarrenlinn

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on June 28, 2017, 02:41:23 pm

Martin
Kjerstad
Bonnin
Turney
Rutledge
Milligan
Vermillion
Ramage
Bolden
Opitz

Didn't catch that - so if we hold him to the 5 RHP comment, one would assume that Kelly and Ziegenbein are Juco bound, huh?
Prettiest little girl ever I saw, stood on the banks of the Arkansas. Her eyes were wild and her stare was mean. She's the prettiest d@mn girl ever I seen.

Pig Papi

Quote from: imisswarrenlinn on June 28, 2017, 03:19:42 pm
Didn't catch that - so if we hold him to the 5 RHP comment, one would assume that Kelly and Ziegenbein are Juco bound, huh?
[/
Quote from: rolyat_2008 on June 28, 2017, 02:41:23 pm

Martin
Kjerstad
Bonnin
Turney
Rutledge
Milligan
Vermillion
Ramage
Bolden
Opitz

I have 14 total names for apparently 13 spots.  In addition to the 10 above I have....

Alerick Soularie
Ben McClain
Easton Murrell
Jacob Nesbitt

rolyat_2008

Quote from: imisswarrenlinn on June 28, 2017, 03:19:42 pm
Not sure if he's counting Bonnin as RHP or two way player.

Nesbit, Murrell, Kelly or Hooper seem like the four names for final three spots to hit 13.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 28, 2017, 03:23:59 pm
I have 14 total names for apparently 13 spots.  In addition to the 10 above I have....

Alerick Soularie
Ben McClain
Easton Murrell
Jacob Nesbitt
Murrell and Nesbit are the only two of those I see because DVH mentioned 3 INF and those two plus Martin are three.

Also said OF going to JUCO to get playing time with Bonfield returning. I expect that to be Soularie but could be Hooper or both.

Pig Papi

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on June 28, 2017, 03:57:12 pm
Not sure if he's counting Bonnin as RHP or two way player.

Nesbit, Murrell, Kelly or Hooper seem like the four names for final three spots to hit 13.

Hooper and Kelly are JUCO

Of the 4....Soularie, McClain, Murrell, Nesbit  only Soularie does not have something like "Razorback signee" as part of his Twitter profile although they all do on Instagram.

ricepig

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 28, 2017, 04:02:49 pm

Of the 4....Soularie, McClain, Murrell, Nesbit  only Soularie does not have something like "Razorback signee" as part of his Twitter profile although they all do on Instagram.

Yeah, some were surprised we got a commit from a 2020 from Cabot, "after the way the other Cabot player was treated". I'm not sure what that was to mean, except college baseball is a tough racket, few scholarships and lots of egos, haha.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 28, 2017, 04:02:49 pm

What do you know about these other names:

Brady Disher, Ryan Drake, Derek Ripp, Trey Ziegenbein

Also did McClain ever sign or is he only a commit?

PintailKiller

Any word on Dylan Thompson.  I figure he is gone since he redshirted this year, but have not even seen him mentioned.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

dotnet

Just from the type of recruits these guys were, I would be very surprised if Nesbit was not part of the 13.  I would like to think Soulaire will make it as well.

Disclaimer - I'd say the same thing about Hooper and someone mentioned hes going juco. 

bulldog04

dotnet