Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diamond Hogs: Less Power, More Speed in 2018

Started by Mike Irwin, June 12, 2017, 08:03:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

SPAL

We still have power. It's not all or nothing. We still have some thumpers but I hope we do become a team that hits gap to gap.

ThisTeetsTaken

I don't expect "small ball" to make a return to Fayetteville anytime soon.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

BroyledNutts

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 12, 2017, 09:54:16 pm
I don't expect "small ball" to make a return to Fayetteville anytime soon.   

Oh I hope not. My ulcers can't take a return to hoping 3 runs will be enough ...

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 12, 2017, 10:19:24 pm
Oh I hope not. My ulcers can't take a return to hoping 3 runs will be enough ...

Small ball is for the 8th and 9th inning.  Otherwise you just giving yourself an out.

WizardofhOgZ

Speaking of small ball, how ironic was it that Arkansas - who epitomized that term in the BBCORE bat era - couldn't bunt worth a damn this past season. 

We didn't bunt often, but when we attempted to, it was as if our guys never heard of the concept until they stepped up to the plate and tried it.  We were terrible bunting.  Didn't matter whether the player was a freshman or a 3rd year guy.

I don't want us to return to that style of ball, to the extent we used to use it.  Now that the minor league balls have balanced out the power game a little better, I don't think we will.  But I do hope that we're better at bunting, when the situation calls for it.

SPAL

We didn't have the pitching depth to play small ball. I like components of small ball. I like situational hitting. You have to be able to have productive outs, lay down a bunt, squeeze, get the sac fly. We didn't have that when we needed it. We popped up or struck out when a lot of times, a ground ball out orvsac fly would have scored.

People hear small ball and they automatically assume bunt....small ball is stealing bases, hitting and running, and situational hitting more than bunts.

We needed some of that this year and didn't have it and I hope we see more of it next season.

billmontgomery10

The Hogs have wasted a lot of scoring opportunities because of an inability to bunt or hit and run or steal bases. Until the Hogs add that to their reptoire they will never win a national championship. DVH used to love the squeeze play, hit and rum etc. now everyone is trying to hit a home run and swing for the fences. How many times did we have the sacks loaded or guys on second and third with none out or one out and the Hogs couldn't hit the ball out of the infield or strike out? Way too often. Every player on the team should be able to execute a bunt, period. The squeeze and the hit and run are devastating weapons.

Kevin

2nd & 3rd no outs, with 3,4,5 in the batting order coming up, and don't score, was a real killer vs mo state in the last game.
2 strikeouts, & a pop up.

two ground balls to second, would have given us the lead.

situational hitting, as got to improve.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dotnet

Bonfield read this article and thought to himself... "more speed?... I'll see about that", and decided to come back

BroyledNutts

Quote from: dotnet on June 14, 2017, 04:44:38 pm
Bonfield read this article and thought to himself..."more speed?... Less power? I'll see about that"[/b][/b], and decided to come back

FIFY

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Kevin on June 14, 2017, 05:07:36 am
2nd & 3rd no outs, with 3,4,5 in the batting order coming up, and don't score, was a real killer vs mo state in the last game.
2 strikeouts, & a pop up.

two ground balls to second, would have given us the lead.

situational hitting, as got to improve.
I'm not sure what happened there.  I wonder what the players were told to do by CTV.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Stewhog 11

Based off the players that are for sure leaving (the seniors and CSpan) we are only losing 24 HRs from this year, returning 59. That alone would've been good enough for T-3rd in the SEC.