Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re: I can't stand Missouri

Started by Dr. Starcs, February 16, 2013, 09:10:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

99toLife

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 16, 2013, 03:21:44 pm
I love sitting near the blue hairs that are reciting stats like the sporting news were sitting in front of them.

It's scary, Card fans at the game know and remember everything from all time concerning Cardinal baseball.

McKdaddy

I enjoy games at Boston as well. Fans aren't as fatalistic as before '04, but still a load of fun to watch games at Fenway.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

tusksincolorado

Quote from: 99toLife on February 16, 2013, 03:24:05 pm
It's scary, Card fans at the game know and remember everything from all time concerning Cardinal baseball.

Its easy when you have something worth remembering.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 16, 2013, 03:24:55 pm
I enjoy games at Boston as well. Fans aren't as fatalistic as before '04, but still a load of fun to watch games at Fenway.

Best Drunks in baseball!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ucahogfan

Quote from: bsking on February 16, 2013, 03:04:08 pm
Say Stan Musial wasn't a top 10 player of all time and you'll get punched in the throat.
Remember what happened when you said Pujols would go down as a better player than Stan the Man?

bsking

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 16, 2013, 06:42:57 pm
Remember what happened when you said Pujols would go down as a better player than Stan the Man?

Yeah, Cards fans are very protective, I'll give them that.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 16, 2013, 06:42:57 pm

Shoot, at one point in time (until Jan '12, when AP signed w/ the Angels), it looked like a probability that AP would end up the greater Cardinal.

ucahogfan

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 17, 2013, 06:25:33 am
Shoot, at one point in time (until Jan '12, when AP signed w/ the Angels), it looked like a probability that AP would end up the greater Cardinal.
Shhh, don't say that.  Now that Pujols is an Angel, he is a traitor and the worst Cardinal ever!

pigture perfect

The difference between Collegiate teams and professional teams, are that the professional teams tend to be regional in their fanbases. You can tell I'm a Cards fan by my avatar, but nobody will doubt than I'm a Razorback fan as well. I would say that more people hate Texas than Missouri and yet we are still covered up with Dallas Cowboy stuff. If your want hate Missouri, go ahead. You're only hurting yourself if you hate the Cardinals. :-)
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

February 17, 2013, 02:37:05 pm #59 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:53:01 pm by McKdaddy
Quote from: pigture perfect on February 17, 2013, 09:21:53 am
The difference between Collegiate teams and professional teams, are that the professional teams tend to be regional in their fanbases. You can tell I'm a Cards fan by my avatar, but nobody will doubt than I'm a Razorback fan as well. I would say that more people hate Texas than Missouri and yet we are still covered up with Dallas Cowboy stuff. If your want hate Missouri, go ahead. You're only hurting yourself if you hate the Cardinals. :-)

You can tell I'm a Cards fan by my avatar also. 

McKdaddy

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 17, 2013, 08:45:01 am
Shhh, don't say that.  Now that Pujols is an Angel, he is a traitor and the worst Cardinal ever!

I was down in the dumps when Pujols left. I understood his position and I understood Mo and ownership's position. But I didn't like hearing those fans call him a traitor for leaving. I understand the fans not liking it, obviously, but I don't turn 180-degrees on players just because they took higher dollars elsewhere. The Cards did what was right for them, as did Pujols. No hard feelings, IMO.

No different than how Wiscy or Mizzou or A&M or KU fans acted when jilted by their coaches for another job. Hog fans will act that way also when a popular coach voluntarily leaves.

bsking

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 17, 2013, 02:42:24 pm
I was down in the dumps when Pujols left. I understood his position and I understood Mo and ownership's position. But I didn't like hearing those fans call him a traitor for leaving. I understand the fans not liking it, obviously, but I don't turn 180-degrees on players just because they took higher dollars elsewhere. The Cards did what was right for them, as did Pujols. No hard feelings, IMO.

No different than how Wiscy or Mizzou or A&M or KU fans acted when jilted by their coaches for another job. Hog fans will act that way also when a popular coach voluntarily leaves.

You are the 1%.

McKdaddy

February 17, 2013, 05:08:28 pm #62 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:32:52 pm by McKdaddy
Quote from: bsking on February 17, 2013, 03:34:41 pm
You are the 1%.

I've heard Card fans like you are speaking of, but not in the 99% range. Without being too biased, I'd estimate it at 70% call him traitor and 30% share a view similar to mine.

I'm in a Cards club in Tulsa. We did a poll after he left asking if you felt like he was a traitor (or words like that) or if you felt like he should move on for that phat paycheck from the Angels. The result was something like 61 or 62% voted traitor and the balance said he was right to grab that check. The minority didn't like that he went elsewhere but could rationalize it.

Again, no different behavior than most other jilted fanbases.

Sure I wished he'd have stayed in StL for less money than the Angels were coming at him with, but he had given the Cards a sweetheart deal the previous contract. He felt like the organization disrespected him with their offer. But if Pujols were to leave, going to the AL made the most sense to so he can DH here-and-there (and likely over the last 2-4 years of that 10-year deal), since his body has been showing some signs of wearing down. Signing him for what he wanted would have been tough on the Cards' mid-market payroll. Factoring the economics of it, I wanted the Cards to be disciplined in their offers to Pujols. But in my heart I always wanted him to stay. The night before he signed w/ the Angels, it was being reported he was going to re-sign w/ the Cards. I was happy and worried at the same time. Worried about the Cards strapping themselves financially to a player exhibiting some slowing down. But happy that "my Musial" was staying in town. The next morning we learned that news was false, as he signed the astronomical Angels' deal. My emotions did a 180 -- I was now relieved from a practical and economical standpoint, but very sad.

I can't blame him for taking that deal.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 16, 2013, 09:10:26 am
Those same fans are also St Louis Cardinals fans. Yet, thousands of Arkansans claim them as "their" team. Never understood that one either.

For us older folks our grandparents , parents and us grew up listening to Cardinal Baseball on the Air and via the Gazette and Democrate papers.   It was the only baseball on Radio or later TV in the State.  They marketed themselves heavily in the state since the days of the Dean Brothers and the Gas house gang.  I have been a Cards fan all my life and it was the only Pro baseball except for the Travellers in LR.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ray Piggers

February 21, 2013, 12:24:07 am #64 Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:57:33 am by TaylorAlderson
Who gives a crap where you're from. If you're a fan of a team, you're a fan of a team. This is just about the dumbest discussion ever. Not to say the guys in this thread are dumb, but as for a topic of discussion? Really?

I'm an Arkansan in Southern California and I love MY ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

...Deal with it. ;)

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

McKdaddy

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on February 21, 2013, 12:24:07 am
Who gives a crap where you're from. If you're a fan of a team, you're a fan of a team. This is just about the dumbest discussion ever. Not to say the guys in this thread are dumb, but as for a topic of discussion? Really?

I'm an Arkansan in Southern California and I love MY ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

...Deal with it. ;)

+1

The Boar War

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 16, 2013, 01:43:09 pm
So much for good ole american ingenuity and thinking for yourself.

Look, I get the folks who have roots in Missouri, but calling them "your cards" just cause daddy and grandpa did and you live in Arkansas is kinda sad. You think those cards fans/players up there give a rip about you?  They couldn't care less if you are a fan of theirs or not. Fact is, you (we) live in Arkansas.

I'm guessing you think the Razorbacks care about you?  They don't.

Quote from: Papples on February 16, 2013, 09:29:42 am
Real Arkansans follow Razorbacks baseball, not overpriced MLB teams.

Yeah.  You certainly couldn't follow both.  I'm always torn when the Razorbacks play the Cardinals.

GreenwayTigerHog

Wow some of you guys are huge dripping vags... can't claim is team is "yours" if you are from out of state? Cards fans are too good of fans & too knowledgeable about the teams history?

Arctic Hog

I loved going to Ray Winder field as a kid back in the late '70's.  I had a baseball signed by many of the players that I kept for many years.  Some of the names on the ball were John Littlefield, Jim Riggleman, Dave Bialas, Glenn Brummer, Manny Castillo, Brett Houser, and Frank Hunsaker.  Those are the names I can recall anyway.  I can remember how much I enjoyed sitting in the stands keeping score.  Those are the things that shaped me as a Cardinals fan.

PorcineSublime

I have never been a Cardinals fan, but I did love listening to Jack Buck on hot summer nights. The man made you feel like you were right there in the stands. Was a huge KC fan in HS, then was cub fan for most of my adulthood. A few years back, I decided I should branch out and get an AL team, went with the Twins since my wife is from MN. Man can I pick a winner. Might as well become a fan of the Raiders and the Bobcats.  8)

BTW, back in the day, the farm system was not as controlled by MLB as it is now and many teams had lots of farm teams. I have been told that St Louis had a lower level farm team in Fort Smith that I think played at Andrews Field. 
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.