Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re: I can't stand Missouri

Started by Dr. Starcs, February 16, 2013, 09:10:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

Those same fans are also St Louis Cardinals fans. Yet, thousands of arkansans claim them as "their" team. Never understood that one either.

Papples

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 16, 2013, 09:10:26 am
Those same fans are also St Louis Cardinals fans. Yet, thousands of arkansans claim them as "their" team. Never understood that one either.
Real Arkansans follow Razorbacks baseball, not overpriced MLB teams.

LZH

The Travelers used to be the AA affiliate for the Cards.  I'm pretty sure this is it.

HogsGoneWild

I'm one of the biggest hog fans there is and I'm also one of the biggest cardinal fans there is, I've lived in Arkansas my whole life so I don't see how that makes me less an arkansan???

norforkian

Cardinal fans both in Ark and Miz suck.  Hate them all

cardsNhogs

Well I can't either but I love my cardinals an can't stand Mizzu.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 16, 2013, 09:30:04 am
The Travelers used to be the AA affiliate for the Cards.  I'm pretty sure this is it.
Has nothing to do with it for me. Grandpa was huge cardinals fan and been going to Busch stadium since a child.

LZH

Good friend of mine was a scout the the Cards, and like him, most of the die-hard fans I think of are older than me (45).  Goes back to the MMQB thread about radio games.  They grew up listening to the Cardinals on AM radio and coupled with the Travs being affiliates they adopted them as their own.

PonderinHog

Dr. Starcs

I just don't get all the cardinal love from folks around here. Other than the people who strictly follow them back to their traveler days I guess.

Funny how we have the royals that are much closer to us, yet because they suck nobody loves them. Or at least they aren't as in your face as cards fans.

dgfclt

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 16, 2013, 10:10:51 am
I just don't get all the cardinal love from folks around here. Other than the people who strictly follow them back to their traveler days I guess.

Funny how we have the royals that are much closer to us, yet because they suck nobody loves them. Or at least they aren't as in your face as cards fans.

The Cardinal love goes back a few generations.  That is from the Travelers and more importantly there not being another MLB team south of St. Louis for a very very long time.  KMOX could be heard very clearly in Arkansas so most heard the games on the radio and became fans. 

The Royals do not have a national presence at all. The Cardinals do.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 16, 2013, 10:10:51 am

I never have understood the loyalty of Cardinal fans in Arkansas either.  Both my grandfathers were from northeast Arkansas and both were huge Cardinal fans.  I was a Royals fan for years and years, but got to where the constant losing sucked the fun out of being a fan.

LZH

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 16, 2013, 10:16:00 am
I never have understood the loyalty of Cardinal fans in Arkansas either.  Both my grandfathers were from northeast Arkansas and both were huge Cardinal fans.  I was a Royals fan for years and years, but got to where the constant losing sucked the fun out of being a fan.

I actually became a Braves fan back when we first got cable TV in SEArk and WTBS in Atlanta showed games all the time.  I can only say that there are a ton of Cardinal fans around here and they are crazier than the die-hard Cowboy fans.

Jborohog09

The amount of Cardinal fans here in Jonesboro is nauseating, they never shut up about them.  If you tell them you're not a fan then they act like you just ran over their dog and are the scum of the Earth.

60 Minutes of Hell

I fail to see how being a Cards fan adversely affects one's ability to root for the diamond hogs.  In the 90's I was all about the Jazz and the Pacers, but when it came to college ball there was no question.  After your pro radar whiffs beyond a certain radius, geographic proximity really isn't all that relevant.
What a fool I used to be.

Papples

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 16, 2013, 09:51:20 am
Well I can't either but I love my cardinals an can't stand Mizzu.
Unless you live in Missouri, they're not "your" Cardinals.  If you don't live Missouri, you're really no different than someone in India wearing a Yankees shirt and claiming to be a Yankees fan.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most of these Arkansas Cardinals fans are also Dallas Cowboys fans.  Frontrunners.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Papples on February 16, 2013, 10:31:34 am
Unless you live in Missouri, they're not "your" Cardinals.  If you don't live Missouri, you're really no different than someone in India wearing a Yankees shirt and claiming to be a Yankees fan.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most of these Arkansas Cardinals fans are also Dallas Cowboys fans.  Frontrunners.
So please, all knowing one, which professional baseball team may I root for, now that I can no longer pull for the Cardinals?

LZH

Where do you live?

60 Minutes of Hell

Unless you live in Missouri, they're not "your" Cardinals.

So..because I live in Austin, I should be sporting burnt orange?  I would type a longer and more hateful response, but the thought of that hypothetical has made me nauseous.
What a fool I used to be.

secfan30

Only watch Razorback Baseball, love the Cowboys. When I was growing up I hated everything Texas, but on Sunday the Cowboys were one of 2 games I could watch. my mom being from Dallas and when I visited Dallas I met more Hog fans than anything else made me like them and forgive them for being from Texas.

I hate idiots and their idiot generalizations.

tusksincolorado

KMOX usually is all that needs to be stated. Very similar to the old KAAY that was based in LR. KMOX reached all the way to Denver and several surrounding States. So Fans were made by listening to the "Gas House Gang", Dizzy and Paul Dean, Stan "The Man" Musial, Bob Gibson and many other Summer heroes. The Cards also have won the most World Series Titles of any National League Club, and are 2nd only to the Yankees in All-Time Titles. 

Then, as far as my Father and his Brothers, the Cardinals were the only team West of the Mississippi for years until the Dodgers moved from Brooklyn. Baseball was "America's Game", before, during, and after WWII. My Dad would hardly every speak of his time in Europe, except for "his Buddies, and how Joe could hit that ball during their wait for the Invasion of Normandy. I also remember when my Dad took me to the Original Busch the year it opened. Fortunately I was able to relive that moment when I took my Son to Busch 2 inaugural season in 06' for the series against the Dodgers after the All-Star break, which was a 4 game sweep by the Cards. That was a magical season, and moment for both of us!

So yeah, there's alot of "Old" Cardinal fans in this part of the Country. And yeah, there are many reasons why we are passionate.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

LZH

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 16, 2013, 10:40:18 am
Where do you live?
Quote from: trent on February 16, 2013, 10:44:43 am
So..because I live in Austin, I should be sporting burnt orange?  I would type a longer and more hateful response, but the thought of that hypothetical has made me nauseous.
Quote from: secfan30 on February 16, 2013, 10:48:33 am
Only watch Razorback Baseball, love the Cowboys. When I was growing up I hated everything Texas, but on Sunday the Cowboys were one of 2 games I could watch. my mom being from Dallas and when I visited Dallas I met more Hog fans than anything else made me like them and forgive them for being from Texas.

I hate idiots and their idiot generalizations.

** Les crickets..... **

The_Iceman

popcornhog

Quote from: Papples on February 16, 2013, 09:29:42 am
Real Arkansans follow Razorbacks baseball, not overpriced MLB teams.

I follow both. I guess I'm a false Arkansan?
WPS

AKT

[/quote

I think AA cardinals is Springfield. AA angels are travelers.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Jborohog09 on February 16, 2013, 10:24:24 am
The amount of Cardinal fans here in Jonesboro is nauseating, they never shut up about them.  If you tell them you're not a fan then they act like you just ran over their dog and are the scum of the Earth.

Well folks in that part of the country are pretty loyal to a team that was a little over 2 hour drive away, established team for decades, constantly on the radio,.....oh and a WINNER!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: AKT on February 16, 2013, 11:05:45 am
[/quote

USE TO BE.

secfan30

[/quote

The Travelers were the Cards offiliate from 1966-2000 is wht I believe he was getting at.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: norforkian on February 16, 2013, 09:43:25 am
Cardinal fans both in Ark and Miz suck.  Hate them all

CUBBIE Fan....UHH?

C        ompletely
U        less
B        y
S        eptember!

3kgthog

Key word in his post being USED to be.

I'm a Cards fan because that was the only team on TV where I grew up in Arkansas and a Cards game was the first baseball game my parents took me to as a kid. It should be noted that I'm not a Cowboys fan, but I do hold Diamond Hog season tickets. I guess I'm only half a real Arkansan.

AKT

I see.  As a rangers fan I remember going to a travelers game when I was a kid and rooting against them.

McKdaddy

I was a born and raised Cards fan, as was my dad and grandpa. First MLB team west of the mississippi, so a lot of people adopted them that aren't in MO.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: Jborohog09 on February 16, 2013, 10:24:24 am

Well, are you?

cardsNhogs

I live 10 minutes from Missouri and work in Missouri. My cardinals.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 16, 2013, 10:56:55 am
KMOX usually is all that needs to be stated. Very similar to the old KAAY that was based in LR. KMOX reached all the way to Denver and several surrounding States. So Fans were made by listening to the "Gas House Gang", Dizzy and Paul Dean, Stan "The Man" Musial, Bob Gibson and many other Summer heroes. The Cards also have won the most World Series Titles of any National League Club, and are 2nd only to the Yankees in All-Time Titles. 

Then, as far as my Father and his Brothers, the Cardinals were the only team West of the Mississippi for years until the Dodgers moved from Brooklyn. Baseball was "America's Game", before, during, and after WWII. My Dad would hardly every speak of his time in Europe, except for "his Buddies, and how Joe could hit that ball during their wait for the Invasion of Normandy. I also remember when my Dad took me to the Original Busch the year it opened. Fortunately I was able to relive that moment when I took my Son to Busch 2 inaugural season in 06' for the series against the Dodgers after the All-Star break, which was a 4 game sweep by the Cards. That was a magical season, and moment for both of us!

So yeah, there's alot of "Old" Cardinal fans in this part of the Country. And yeah, there are many reasons why we are passionate.
This

Break & Run

Good God!  This thread is about ARKANSAS versus Missouri in BASKETBALL...

Not the Cards or who your favorite MLB team is.  Goodness.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

discombobulationist

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 16, 2013, 09:54:16 am
Has nothing to do with it for me. Grandpa was huge cardinals fan and been going to Busch stadium since a child.

ditto
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pm
ISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: The Mafia on February 16, 2013, 11:49:48 am
Good God!  This thread is about ARKANSAS versus Missouri in BASKETBALL...

Not the Cards or who your favorite MLB team is.  Goodness.

NO....THIS IS THE NORTH VS. THE SOUTH!    ;)

McKdaddy

My grandpa was a Cards fan before becoming a Hog fan. My dad raised me the same as his dad raised him. There are as many pics of me as a toddler and little kid w/ Cards gear on as with Hogs gear.

My dad introduced me to and raised me to love 2 of my most treasured things: Cards and Hogs.

#MyCards

Dr. Starcs

So much for good ole american ingenuity and thinking for yourself.

Look, I get the folks who have roots in Missouri, but calling them "your cards" just cause daddy and grandpa did and you live in Arkansas is kinda sad. You think those cards fans/players up there give a rip about you?  They couldn't care less if you are a fan of theirs or not. Fact is, you (we) live in Arkansas.

LZH

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 16, 2013, 01:43:09 pm

Look, I get the folks who have roots in Missouri, but calling them "your cards" just cause daddy and grandpa did and you live in Arkansas is kinda sad. You think those cards fans/players up there give a rip about you?  They couldn't care less if you are a fan of theirs or not. Fact is, you (we) live in Arkansas.

They do if they watch them on TV, buy their apparel, etc.  You think the Hog fans in Dallas, Memphis, and Tulsa don't matter to the UofA or it's 'home' fans?

Dr. Starcs

Yes, but those hogs fan 99% of the time are either from Arkansas or went to school here.

I would venture to guess that 99% of cards fans living in Arkansas have no tie to Missouri other than "well my dad was a cards fan and his daddy was too".

McKdaddy

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 16, 2013, 01:43:09 pm

Doesn't matter where I live (not in Arkansas). They're in my heart, part of my mind and soul.

#MyCards

LZH

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 16, 2013, 02:29:56 pm
Yes, but those hogs fan 99% of the time are either from Arkansas or went to school here.

I would venture to guess that 99% of cards fans living in Arkansas have no tie to Missouri other than "well my dad was a cards fan and his daddy was too".

That may be, actually it probably is, but the fact remains that sports are not a regional activity anymore.  I guarantee these teams are damn glad to have the sales and support from anywhere.

If a guy from Ohio logged in here today and said "hey guys, I've been following your team lately and have become a fan...is it OK with you if I hang out here on Hogville as I watch the game?"   -   you don't think he'd be welcomed?

McKdaddy

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 16, 2013, 02:29:56 pm

Maybe it's just a bond b/t my father and I. I'm not saddened by it or embarrassed. It is our bond. It is something we celebrate or anguish over together. It's a bond we cherish and appreciate. I love talking Cards baseball w/ my dad. It's our thing.

Science Fiction Greg

Believe it or not, people can choose to be a fan of whatever team they want to without anyone else's permission.

What a weird thread.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Jborohog09

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 16, 2013, 11:22:38 am
Well, are you?

haha, nope.  I don't dislike the Cardinals, just their fans around here. 

bsking

I've spent a lot of time around a lot of fanbases but I have never seen an MLB fanbase with a more homer crowd.  Not entirely sure why, but 4/5 Cards fans are so delusional about their team that you can't have a conversation.

Say Stan Musial wasn't a top 10 player of all time and you'll get punched in the throat.

99toLife

Quote from: bsking on February 16, 2013, 03:04:08 pm
I've spent a lot of time around a lot of fanbases but I have never seen an MLB fanbase with a more homer crowd.  Not entirely sure why, but 4/5 Cards fans are so delusional about their team that you can't have a conversation.

Say Stan Musial wasn't a top 10 player of all time and you'll get punched in the throat.

By a 75 year old blue haired old lady.

McKdaddy

I love sitting near the blue hairs that are reciting stats like the sporting news were sitting in front of them.