Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Duke of Earl" Weaver dead at 82

Started by jbcarol, January 19, 2013, 10:32:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Earl Weaver, the fiery Hall of Fame manager who won 1,480 games with the Baltimore Orioles, has died, the team says. He was 82.

QuoteWeaver took the Orioles into the World Series four times over 17 seasons but won only one title, in 1970. His .583 winning percentage ranks fifth among managers who served 10 or more seasons in the 20th century.

"He was an intense competitor and smart as a whip when it comes to figuring out ways to beat you," said Davey Johnson, who played under Weaver in the minor leagues and with the Orioles from 1965 to 1972.

Weaver was a salty-tongued manager who preferred to wait for a three-run homer rather than manufacture a run with a stolen base or a bunt. While some baseball purists argued that strategy, no one could dispute the results.

Weaver had a reputation as a winner, but umpires knew him as a hothead...

Photo: Rob Carr/AP
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

pigture perfect

I loved Earl Weaver. Baseball would be much more fun with more managers like him and Billy Martin around.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

dhornjr1

He died on an Orioles fantasy cruise. Sad.

As an aside, my dad almost ran Weaver, Howard Cosell, and Al Michaels down like dogs in 1983. We were driving down the street between the old Marriott Hotel and Busch II getting ready to pull into the hotel's parking garage.

My dad exclaimed, "Hell, there's Cosell!" and almost swerved into them. They had their yellow ABC Sports jackets on. For you younger cats, ABC had Monday Night Baseball back then. The Cardinals were playing the Phillies.

Two days later, Whitey Herzog traded Keith Hernandez for a pile of bear scat and the Cardinals didn't win another World Series for 23 years. I'll never forget the outcry in Busch Stadium when the trade was announced on the message board.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. The Hernandez trade still burns my ass.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Root66

Quote from: dhornjr1 on January 19, 2013, 04:15:53 pm
He died on an Orioles fantasy cruise. Sad.

As an aside, my dad almost ran Weaver, Howard Cosell, and Al Michaels down like dogs in 1983. We were driving down the street between the old Marriott Hotel and Busch II getting ready to pull into the hotel's parking garage.

My dad exclaimed, "Hell, there's Cosell!" and almost swerved into them. They had their yellow ABC Sports jackets on. For you younger cats, ABC had Monday Night Baseball back then. The Cardinals were playing the Phillies.

Two days later, Whitey Herzog traded Keith Hernandez for a pile of bear scat and the Cardinals didn't win another World Series for 23 years. I'll never forget the outcry in Busch Stadium when the trade was announced on the message board.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. The Hernandez trade still burns my ass.

Not in the record books they didn't but they did for a fact kick Kansas City's ass except for this...

[attachment deleted by admin]