Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gave Richardson

Started by parallaxpig, March 28, 2017, 07:40:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

Was awarded full schollie so who did we lose?
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

East TN HAWG

I believe Antwine was placed on scholarship last year. 

ricepig

Nobody, we were holding it out for Pagano, he said he isn't coming, so Richardson goes on scholarship. We still have to lose 4-5 scholarship guys in order to enroll everyone this summer. Look for several transfer announcements after spring ball.

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on March 28, 2017, 07:49:07 am
Nobody, we were holding it out for Pagano, he said he isn't coming, so Richardson goes on scholarship. We still have to lose 4-5 scholarship guys in order to enroll everyone this summer. Look for several transfer announcements after spring ball.

Thx......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

parallaxpig

ricepig.....everything still looking good for Jeremy Patton to make summer 1.

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 28, 2017, 07:55:56 am
ricepig.....everything still looking good for Jeremy Patton to make summer 1.

As far as I know.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on March 28, 2017, 07:49:07 am
You would think that is what the Tea Leaves are saying. Numbers say a couple more bodies have to leave, or some scholarships have to be rescinded, and I do believe Antwine provided a scholarship reduction.

rljjr

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 28, 2017, 10:05:44 am
You would think that is what the Tea Leaves are saying. Numbers say a couple more bodies have to leave, or some scholarships have to be rescinded, and I do believe Antwine provided a scholarship reduction.

He's still going to school on scholarship, or so i believe.

ricepig

Quote from: rljjr on March 28, 2017, 10:50:25 am
He's still going to school on scholarship, or so i believe.

It's not a football related scholarship, though.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 28, 2017, 10:05:44 am

4 more minimum have to leave/transfer.

HogFoo

wasn't it on twitter yesterday that 2 kids were leaving the team.. One was antwine, and the other was I think it was Mcclure?  or whatever his name is. He was gonna play WR , he had played pro baseball and the article said that he was just wore out on sports.  So he was quitting.  I saw Dudley tweet about it yesterday as well.   So, there's 2 guys.  If Antwine was already gone, then take away McClure's schollie.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

SkeeterHawg

McClure wasn't on a scholly.  Baseball was paying his way.

hobhog

factchecker

Quote from: hobhog on March 28, 2017, 06:46:33 pm
Any guesses?

I could see Juan Day getting a medical hardship deal or transferring out.

Depending on the backup QB situation, Ty might look to transfer.

I'm not sure about anyone else.  There might be a grade causality.  We've had very few of those recently but you never know.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Any guesses?

No need to guess, they'll pop up by May 1st or so.

Peter Porker

Quote from: factchecker on March 28, 2017, 06:53:36 pm
I could see Juan Day getting a medical hardship deal or transferring out.

Depending on the backup QB situation, Ty might look to transfer.

I'm not sure about anyone else.  There might be a grade causality.  We've had very few of those recently but you never know.

Juan was someone CBB mentioned as excelling during the 8 week conditioning workouts.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

bennyl08

Any guesses?

You need two factors to lead to a transfer barring a coaching change. First, you need players with talent that are good enough to start at other places, but you need enough depth that those players are buried on the depth chart here.

Going by position
Dalton: Had the best tape of the DB's we signed in his class IMO, and I think he could start at many other schools. Currently buried a bit on the depth chart here and we just brought in even better DB's with this class. Still has 3 years of eligibility left.

Dean/Hall/Watts: Don't think all 3 would transfer but any of them could. Dean is just a RsSo and I would hate to see him leave most of all the 3 listed here. Think his size, speed, and overall skill set is perfect for a 3-4 DE while he was a tweener in the 3-4. However, he has had to be called out by Bielema multiple times and he may find that this isn't where he wants to be. Hall at 266 had the size to be a 4-3 DE, but I don't think is athletic enough to drop down to OLB and may not be able to or want to bulk up to be a 280+ DE needed for the 3-4. He'll be a RsJr next season so his eligibility is running out. With him seemingly lacking a position to play here, he could transfer to a lower division to play. Watts, probably the least likely to transfer IMO, especially with Jackson a senior. However, he could be getting buried and try to get more playing time.

LB: Don't see any potential transfers this off season.

Merrick: Not likely to happen, but the most likely among the OL. We lose 4 scholarship guys this coming season with Ragnow, Ramirez, Raulerson, and I could have sworn Malone, but I guess he was a sophomore JUCO. So, a lot of opportunity left for guys. Merrick is just the guy who is far enough in his time here to start thinking about the ticking clock with a possibility though no certainty of being buried.

Storey: If Kelley passes him to be the backup qb and he sees that he isn't going to beat Kelley in the coming spring, then he has the talent to be a p5 starter somewhere.

Day: With the injuries that he has had as well as how far down the depth chart he is, he could transfer to get playing time or decide it is in his best interest to quit football. IMO there is a great chance that Maleek Williams is our 3rd running back going into fall, especially since he is here for spring ball and that could break the camel's back as far as Day staying here.

Kraus/Bell/Gragg: Start with Kraus, he is going to be a junior here next season and is already behind 3 sophomores in Cantrell, O'Grady, and Gunter and probably will be behind Patton too, possibly Gragg as well. A bit too late to transfer to another FBS school, so he could go down a level and play there. Bell IMO has the highest ceiling of any of our TE's and would rank only behind Agim if he was back on defense. He is that good. However, athletic potential does not a great player make (in my best yoda). He is only about to be a RsSo so he could transfer and have 2 years to play somewhere else, or he still has 3 more years to live up to his potential here. I would be surprised to see him transfer, but he has the talent and there is a backlog of players at the position so he does fit the criteria. Gragg I do not think will transfer either. However, he also fits the criteria. I highly doubt this is the case, but it is possible he could be in a Ricky Town like situation. As a highly highly recruited HS player who hasn't seen playing time, he may decide transferring is in his best interest. Again, pure speculation and speculation that I do not believe myself, but it is a possibility.

Boateng: He's only been here one year and so he still has plenty of time. However, I admit, I was not blown away by his HS highlights. He is very likely to be behind Stewart, Pettway, Martin and Jones (in no particular order) during his time here until his senior year here which would likely be the first year he gets to have serious playing time and would still be behind Jones who is a threat to leave here early as well as well as the possibility of younger players leaving. Now, seeing as he is just coming off a redshirt, while I think he is a strong candidate to transfer, it probably won't be this year though doing so would give him 3 years to play elsewhere. Such a thing is very uncommon to do and I didn't mean to make a pun.

In short, the players I'd view as most likely to leave this summer would be Dalton, Storey, Day, Kraus, and maybe Dean.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

presidenthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 29, 2017, 04:51:55 pm
You need two factors to lead to a transfer barring a coaching change. First, you need players with talent that are good enough to start at other places, but you need enough depth that those players are buried on the depth chart here.

Going by position
Dalton: Had the best tape of the DB's we signed in his class IMO, and I think he could start at many other schools. Currently buried a bit on the depth chart here and we just brought in even better DB's with this class. Still has 3 years of eligibility left.

Dean/Hall/Watts: Don't think all 3 would transfer but any of them could. Dean is just a RsSo and I would hate to see him leave most of all the 3 listed here. Think his size, speed, and overall skill set is perfect for a 3-4 DE while he was a tweener in the 3-4. However, he has had to be called out by Bielema multiple times and he may find that this isn't where he wants to be. Hall at 266 had the size to be a 4-3 DE, but I don't think is athletic enough to drop down to OLB and may not be able to or want to bulk up to be a 280+ DE needed for the 3-4. He'll be a RsJr next season so his eligibility is running out. With him seemingly lacking a position to play here, he could transfer to a lower division to play. Watts, probably the least likely to transfer IMO, especially with Jackson a senior. However, he could be getting buried and try to get more playing time.

LB: Don't see any potential transfers this off season.

Merrick: Not likely to happen, but the most likely among the OL. We lose 4 scholarship guys this coming season with Ragnow, Ramirez, Raulerson, and I could have sworn Malone, but I guess he was a sophomore JUCO. So, a lot of opportunity left for guys. Merrick is just the guy who is far enough in his time here to start thinking about the ticking clock with a possibility though no certainty of being buried.

Storey: If Kelley passes him to be the backup qb and he sees that he isn't going to beat Kelley in the coming spring, then he has the talent to be a p5 starter somewhere.

Day: With the injuries that he has had as well as how far down the depth chart he is, he could transfer to get playing time or decide it is in his best interest to quit football. IMO there is a great chance that Maleek Williams is our 3rd running back going into fall, especially since he is here for spring ball and that could break the camel's back as far as Day staying here.

Kraus/Bell/Gragg: Start with Kraus, he is going to be a junior here next season and is already behind 3 sophomores in Cantrell, O'Grady, and Gunter and probably will be behind Patton too, possibly Gragg as well. A bit too late to transfer to another FBS school, so he could go down a level and play there. Bell IMO has the highest ceiling of any of our TE's and would rank only behind Agim if he was back on defense. He is that good. However, athletic potential does not a great player make (in my best yoda). He is only about to be a RsSo so he could transfer and have 2 years to play somewhere else, or he still has 3 more years to live up to his potential here. I would be surprised to see him transfer, but he has the talent and there is a backlog of players at the position so he does fit the criteria. Gragg I do not think will transfer either. However, he also fits the criteria. I highly doubt this is the case, but it is possible he could be in a Ricky Town like situation. As a highly highly recruited HS player who hasn't seen playing time, he may decide transferring is in his best interest. Again, pure speculation and speculation that I do not believe myself, but it is a possibility.

Boateng: He's only been here one year and so he still has plenty of time. However, I admit, I was not blown away by his HS highlights. He is very likely to be behind Stewart, Pettway, Martin and Jones (in no particular order) during his time here until his senior year here which would likely be the first year he gets to have serious playing time and would still be behind Jones who is a threat to leave here early as well as well as the possibility of younger players leaving. Now, seeing as he is just coming off a redshirt, while I think he is a strong candidate to transfer, it probably won't be this year though doing so would give him 3 years to play elsewhere. Such a thing is very uncommon to do and I didn't mean to make a pun.

In short, the players I'd view as most likely to leave this summer would be Dalton, Storey, Day, Kraus, and maybe Dean.

I agree with most. I don't expect boeteng to ever start here honestly. Nothing about him jumped off the film to me. Bell just needs to get his **** together as he is a physical freak. At this point I can't see him starting unless he wakes up and works for it as a SR. Armon watts was a reach. As are most of the DL you listed.

Day needs to move on. Too injury prone. Kraus is back up material honestly, but I feel like he knows that and accepts his role. Gragg has a reputation of not being a 4 star worthy athelete and riding his brothers name. 

I've written storey off as the next guy behind Kelly. Will not transfer though imo.

bennyl08

Quote from: presidenthog on March 30, 2017, 04:13:43 am
I agree with most. I don't expect boeteng to ever start here honestly. Nothing about him jumped off the film to me. Bell just needs to get his **** together as he is a physical freak. At this point I can't see him starting unless he wakes up and works for it as a SR. Armon watts was a reach. As are most of the DL you listed.

Day needs to move on. Too injury prone. Kraus is back up material honestly, but I feel like he knows that and accepts his role. Gragg has a reputation of not being a 4 star worthy athelete and riding his brothers name. 

I've written storey off as the next guy behind Kelly. Will not transfer though imo.

Dean was not a reach. He is virtually identical to Bell in my book in terms of athletic potential. Watts was a freakishly athletic big guy but was a project as he was very raw. I guess I think of project players and reach players differently. To me, a project guy is somebody who has the size and athleticism, and you hope can refine the technique. A reach is somebody who you aren't sure if they will be able to add the size or aren't sure if their athleticism will translate to the next level (in this case, college ball).

Storey won't be the next guy if he is behind Kelley since he will graduate before Kelley does. If he doesn't say in front of Kelley, then injury or mop up duty is all he'll ever see of the field.

No, Gragg does not have that reputation. That comment is also going well beyond the scope of critiquing a player's physical attributes and is deep in the player bashing, personally attacking the individual. That is not cool.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: presidenthog on March 30, 2017, 04:13:43 am
Gragg has a reputation of not being a 4 star worthy athelete and riding his brothers name. 

Your opinion does not make it his reputation

presidenthog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 30, 2017, 08:07:47 pm
Your opinion does not make it his reputation

I heard it from more than one person during his recruitment. I laughed off the assumption at the time as well. These people all said he would be behind the other 2 we brought in that year. So far they have been right. Doesn't look to be changing anytime soon either. Im not saying i want them to be right, but i can't forget them saying it now that 3 years have gone by. I will say that I saw austin Cantrell in person during the spring game that year and he looked like a full grown man then so I'm not suprised where he is. Also had a fine little thing with him.

factchecker

Quote from: presidenthog on March 31, 2017, 12:50:04 am
I heard it from more than one person during his recruitment. I laughed off the assumption at the time as well. These people all said he would be behind the other 2 we brought in that year. So far they have been right. Doesn't look to be changing anytime soon either. Im not saying i want them to be right, but i can't forget them saying it now that 3 years have gone by. I will say that I saw austin Cantrell in person during the spring game that year and he looked like a full grown man then so I'm not suprised where he is. Also had a fine little thing with him.

What's crazy is that Cantrell was one of the lower rated recruit (initially). People were belly aching when we offered and took his commitment. Oklahoma offered late and then he became a must get.  Funny how that happens.

Some even thought that Gragg would de-commit since we were taking so many tight ends that class.

Quote from: poloprince on March 20, 2014, 07:40:39 pm
This could possibly mean no Gragg.

Quote from: KevinOMReb on March 26, 2014, 11:15:55 am
Don't undersell OM on their chances to get Gragg.  He just took a midweek visit and here is the free link
http://mississippi.scout.com/2/1387729.html 

He's been to Oxford now three times and will take an OV in October.  He is watching the Arkansas season closely and their usage of their TE's.  And don't count out UT either.

I like Gragg.  I don't think the hang up is necessarily talent or ability but knowing what to do.  I'm not sure though.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on March 31, 2017, 01:20:27 am
What's crazy is that Cantrell was one of the lower rated recruit (initially). People were belly aching when we offered and took his commitment. Oklahoma offered late and then he became a must get.  Funny how that happens.

Some even thought that Gragg would de-commit since we were taking so many tight ends that class.

I like Gragg.  I don't think the hang up is necessarily talent or ability but knowing what to do.  I'm not sure though.

I agree and I think that Gragg may have the most overall potential of any TE on our team right now. I also doubt that it is the coaching staff that is holding him back.
Go Hogs Go!

parallaxpig

Quote from: factchecker on March 31, 2017, 01:20:27 am

Cantrell had both size and exceptional speed. As a famous coach once said, you can't teach speed.

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 31, 2017, 06:44:08 am
I agree and I think that Gragg may have the most overall potential of any TE on our team right now. I also doubt that it is the coaching staff that is holding him back.

When they were all being recruited, I thought Gragg has the least exciting tape of the 3. However, judging off the recruiting and what other HC's thought, I chalked it up to why I don't get paid millions of dollars to do football. However, as far as potential, Gragg looked like a more athletic Austin Tate. Or, if you want a similar pro-comparison, Jermaine Gresham with the Bengals. Now, Gresham has by all accounts done pretty well in the NFL. So, comparing him to Tate and such is not meant to be a knock on him whatsoever. However, he doesn't look quick or fast at all in his highlights. He looks like he is a strong blocker, is very good at finding the hole in zone coverage and sitting down in it, and has incredibly good hands and a large catching radius.

However, compare that to O'Grady who is much more in the Engram vein of TE's coming in as a somebody who was, and still is our biggest threat in the passing game at least until Patton comes in. Further, and especially as a TE, you don't have to be a great blocker or block somebody for 5 seconds. Henry came in as a pass catching TE and as a true freshmen did a solid, though not great job of blocking and by his junior year was a very good blocker and pass catcher. So, O'Grady has improved his blocking well enough that he isn't just a pass catcher, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him run in the 4.5's as a TE. Then you have Cantrell who was the most balanced TE coming in. He had solid hands, speed and quickness coming out of HS and was a solid blocker as well. Didn't look as strong of an in-line blocker as Gragg coming out of HS nor as big of a threat as O'Grady in the receiving game, but was a good blend of the two.

As such, and given Bielema's penchant for having balanced TE's, it shouldn't have surprised anybody for Cantrell to be the first to make an impact of the 3 as he didn't need as much work in the passing game as Gragg or as much work in the blocking game as O'Grady. Then, for a TE, at least in the modern era, it is much easier to teach a pass catching TE how to block than it is a blocking TE how to be fast and quick.

I think, at least based on what they were able to do in HS, that Gragg was the slowest and least agile of the group of 3 and thus had the lowest ceiling. We won't definitively on that until pro days come around assuming all 3 participate. While a player's performance on the field isn't determined by their ability to display athleticism in tests, their ceiling is determined by what they can physically do. Assuming that they all work hard to prepare for the tests, then those numbers do a good job of determining the ceiling of a player. Their work ethic determines their floor.

WooPig90

ricepig

jgphillips3

Quote from: ricepig on April 04, 2017, 12:36:20 pm
Scholarship.....

Did he have to trade the b for the v to get the scholarship?

bennyl08

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 05, 2017, 10:47:43 pm

You wouldn't think it, but the less ink to type the v instead of the b almost pays for the scholarship itself.

parallaxpig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 05, 2017, 10:47:43 pm

Little known NCAA by-law

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on April 04, 2017, 12:36:20 pm
Scholarship.....

So then that brings him in earlier rather than having to be a blueshirt and wait until after the fall semester, right?
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 06, 2017, 09:14:10 am
So then that brings him in earlier rather than having to be a blueshirt and wait until after the fall semester, right?

He could have come in the first of the summer, but would have had to pay his own way. This way, he's on scholarship from day one.

redleg

I'm gonna guess you meant GABE Richardson.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

parallaxpig

Quote from: redleg on April 06, 2017, 02:54:44 pm
I'm gonna guess you meant GABE Richardson.
:razorback:
[/quot

Gotta love auto correct