Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should this be priority #1 for the new DLine coach?

Started by Hogwild, February 07, 2017, 06:31:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

Breiden Fehoko- #8 DT in the 2015 class.  Was recruited to Texas Tech when Scott was their DLine coach.

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/118211/breiden-fehoko-ready-for-next-recruitment-after-leaving-texas-tech
QuoteIn fact, the day after he was granted his release, an assistant from Ole Miss showed up in Lubbock to start recruiting him. Fehoko, the No. 51 overall recruit in the ESPN 300 in 2015, will be a significant post-signing day addition for somebody later this spring.

Fehoko, a 25-game starter in his two seasons at Tech, said the long list of schools that have already expressed interest includes Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Missouri, Ole Miss, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Washington State, Nebraska, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Louisville, Virginia, BYU and Hawaii.  He won't transfer to another Big 12 school, but the Hawaii native said he's open to playing anywhere if the fit is right. He's finishing this semester at Texas Tech before enrolling at his next school in the summer.

Fehoko called transferring from Texas Tech a "personal decision." He was the program's highest-rated signee under coach Kliff Kingsbury

deedster84

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogwild on February 07, 2017, 06:31:51 pm
Breiden Fehoko- #8 DT in the 2015 class.  Was recruited to Texas Tech when Scott was their DLine coach.

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/118211/breiden-fehoko-ready-for-next-recruitment-after-leaving-texas-tech
What's the point? After all we already have plenty on here complaining the Scott can't recruit much less coach.

Hogwild

Wildhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 07, 2017, 06:44:17 pm
What's the point? After all we already have plenty on here complaining the Scott can't recruit much less coach.

Well, Fehoko's lead recruiter was LB coach Mike Smith.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/4/14/5613892/breiden-fehoko-commits-texas-tech-red-raiders

Connections with the Fehoko family helped linebackers coach Mike Smith secure the talented 6'3, 290-pounder, who is one of the top defensive commits for the Red Raiders in recent years.

Smith helped build a relationship with the Fehokos when he worked as an assistant coach at Hawai'i and cultivating those ties paid off in a big way on Monday.

And maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen anyone saying that he can't recruit.  Just that he's more of an unknown at this point.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 07:14:51 pm
Well, Fehoko's lead recruiter was LB coach Mike Smith.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/4/14/5613892/breiden-fehoko-commits-texas-tech-red-raiders

Connections with the Fehoko family helped linebackers coach Mike Smith secure the talented 6'3, 290-pounder, who is one of the top defensive commits for the Red Raiders in recent years.

Smith helped build a relationship with the Fehokos when he worked as an assistant coach at Hawai'i and cultivating those ties paid off in a big way on Monday.

And maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen anyone saying that he can't recruit.  Just that he's more of an unknown at this point.
Quote a few "gems" from another MMQB thread on the hire. Obviously one can interpret some of the remarks several ways, however, they aren't exactly ringing endorsements for his skills in that particular area:

Tech Hawg:  "Didn't get a proven recruiter or proven coach. 0 for 2" and "He ISN'T a PROVEN recruiter or coach" Wow, 
                   not sure his attitude/distain could be any clearer.

King King:    "The only positive I can say is he has a lot of 3-4 experience". Apparently KK isn't enamored with his any
                   other skills, including recruiting, the man may possess.

Peter Porker:"We need a proven recruiter like Sam Pittman". Humm......

And then there's this little comment from someone we both know (one Wild Hog): "Wanted a proven recruiter. Didn't get one". Can't speak for your intent, however, I think any rational person would interpret that as a dig at Scott's ability to attract talent.

Wildhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 07, 2017, 09:12:51 pm
Quote a few "gems" from another MMQB thread on the hire. Obviously one can interpret some of the remarks several ways, however, they aren't exactly ringing endorsements for his skills in that particular area:

Tech Hawg:  "Didn't get a proven recruiter or proven coach. 0 for 2" and "He ISN'T a PROVEN recruiter or coach" Wow, 

King King:    "The only positive I can say is he has a lot of 3-4 experience". Apparently KK isn't enamored with his any

And then there's this little comment from someone we both know (one Wild Hog): "Wanted a proven recruiter. Didn't get one". Can't speak for your intent, however, I think any rational person would interpret that as a dig at Scott's ability to attract talent.

It's not complicated.  He doesn't have a track record as a strong recruiter.  Doesn't mean that he can't.  Just means he's an unknown.

There's a difference.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 09:16:37 pm
It's not complicated.  He doesn't have a track record as a strong recruiter.  Doesn't mean that he can't.  Just means he's an unknown.

There's a difference.
Point taken. However, one has to admit that some are very dubious and have already pretty much given up on that particular talent whether he actually has it or not. I say let's wait and see, just like his coaching abilities.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 07, 2017, 09:20:42 pm
Point taken. However, one has to admit that some are very dubious and have already pretty much given up on that particular talent whether he actually has it or not. I say let's wait and see, just like his coaching abilities.

Well, my only problem is he hasn't been recruiting the last two years, and recruiting takes building relationships. We had the same with KA, he got 3 decent OL, nothing great, but 3 guys that can probably help in 2-3 years. We needed someone with immediate "cred" in order to get in these high schools. Scott can possibly do it, I guess we'll know by next February.

King Kong

other skills, including recruiting, the man may posses

I wasnt referring to his recruiting. But as Wildhog said he isn't a proven recruiter. Pulled a few JUCO Dlineman. Which maybe good as CBB is hitting the JUCO hard now to get higher quality of talent

swineology

Quote from: King Kong on February 07, 2017, 09:51:06 pm
I wasnt referring to his recruiting. But as Wildhog said he isn't a proven recruiter. Pulled a few JUCO Dlineman. Which maybe good as CBB is hitting the JUCO hard now to get higher quality of talent

another epic fail by coach b

King Kong

Quote from: swineology on February 07, 2017, 10:46:26 pm

CBB has hit a lot. But his fail have had no middle ground results

King Kong

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: swineology on February 07, 2017, 10:46:26 pm
Nice to see that before the man even coaches one player or makes one recruiting visit you've already pronounced Scott a failure. Glad to see that you're not only incredibly knowledgeable not only about football but that you actually sat in on the interviews/conversations and carefully examined all the information available. BTW don't quit your day job (if you even have one). ;)

Hey Super

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogwild on February 07, 2017, 06:46:08 pm
Where should it go? Is there a transfer forum?

By the way, I laughed at this post for a while, for some reason.  It really cracked me up.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Haven't seen anyone mention that he also has experience as a special teams coordinator.

Pig in the Pokey

Guys, keep in mind who he replaced. He will be fine.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 09, 2017, 12:23:57 am

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

SamBuckhart

I would have no problem taking Kingsferrys lunch money. BB just the one to oversee that.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 09, 2017, 10:23:51 am
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.
Quote of the month!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 09, 2017, 12:23:57 am

Yeah well, last time I checked an assistant does what his Coordinator dictates, whether it goes against his grain or not. It's pretty low hanging fruit for posters to throw a departed coach under the bus, and then if there is even a modicum of improvement in the ensuing season, jump on their soap box and scream, "I told you so, the previous coach wasn't worth a darn". We have seen that more than once.

Should we come out this fall and see the front 3 to 5 putting on more pressure there will be a tendency to say that the new hire was a great hire (and maybe he is, not sure yet) when in reality a change in DC's as well as scheme and philosophy may be the reason that we actually see more pressure.

I want the defense to improve and I hope Rhoads will make that happen. I hope we do see great improvement in the pressure that is applied to opposing offenses and that it really helps our defense and our offense. I'm not convinced at this point that Segrest couldn't have done the same thing under Rhoads leadership, but we will never know. After last years performance and the negative numbers it generated, he had to go. It didn't matter what he might have been able to do given more of a free hand to apply pressure. He had to be sacrificed.

That said I am sure that with new leadership at DC we will be better than last year, but there were probably a lot of reasons that we didn't apply more pressure last year and at least some of that had to do with the inability to find enough speed at LB and often times being out of position to make plays.

Let's get lined up properly, not allow ourselves to be outschemed by opposing offenses that move our players around with misdirection and make tackles. I wish the new DL Coach all the success in the world, it will be good for us if he is successful.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogwild

We didn't make his final 4

QuoteToday's the big day for Breiden Fehoko.

The former Texas Tech defensive lineman has decided to transfer and is expected to announce his new commitment Monday.

Fehoko's finalists are Auburn, Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss. He took official visits to all four schools, wrapping things up last weekend in Athens, Ga. In total the former top 50 national recruit made visits to nine of the SEC schools.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2017, 01:19:18 pm
https://twitter.com/SECfootball/status/854030989407903744

Psssh have fun at LSWho. Coach O is the next Houston Nutt. Going to win a game or two he isn't supposed to, and lose a whole bunch he should win.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Peter Porker

To be fair, mine was sarcasm. Everyone talked about how great a recruiter Pittman was, but look at our OL last season. A DL and a transfer started. Personally, I think he purposefully tanked recruiting his last year here.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.