Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Hunter Mickelson start @ KU next year?

Started by jaredkr, March 14, 2014, 04:20:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jaredkr

I've been a big MA supporter...however when HM transferred I couldn't help but think of Rich Rod and Ryan Mallett @ Michigan...In my opinion, good coaches adapt their coaching strategy to their talent on their currentn roster...Rich Rodriguez can only coach 1 way,he has to have an elusive QB.. and Mike Anderson is the exact same way. I know I'm comparing basketball to football, however good coaches make adjustments, Mike Anderson simply cannot. There were so many times this year when he needed to drop the full court press or slow the temp and feed it down low, I hate to say it, but I don't think he knows how to coach any other way...and if Mickelson starts @ KU next year, like Mallett did at arkansas, i think i have a valid point...just my opinion
I am Ray Finkel

kuhog

Mickelson won't start at Kansas, unless they don't pick up the five star center they've been recruiting or if Embiid comes back another year.

RazorPiggie

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: kuhog on March 14, 2014, 08:06:44 am
Mickelson won't start at Kansas, unless they don't pick up the five star center they've been recruiting or if Embiid comes back another year.

Yep, if Turner goes else where and Emblid goes pro. He has a chance.

GuvHog

Quote from: kuhog on March 14, 2014, 08:06:44 am

Mickelson isn't a Center, he's a Power Forward who plays his best facing the basket so whether or not Embid returns has no bearing on whether or not Mickelson will start or not. A good coach doesn't offer a player a scholarship, hold it in case said player changes his mind, then offer to let him transfer just to sit said player on the bench. Mick didn't fit Mikes system but he DOES fit Bill Self's system.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jaredkr

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on March 14, 2014, 08:42:43 am
Mickelson isn't a Center, he's a Power Forward who plays his best facing the basket so whether or not Embid returns has no bearing on whether or not Mickelson will start or not. A good coach doesn't offer a player a scholarship, hold it in case said player changes his mind, then offer to let him transfer just to sit said player on the bench. Mick didn't fit Mikes system but he DOES fit Bill Self's system.

that's what I'm saying though.. if he's good enough for Self he's damn sure good enough for ARK
I am Ray Finkel

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on March 14, 2014, 08:42:43 am

Mickelson came along at the wrong time. The roster was in flux and Powell got hurt which thrust Mickelson into the low post and out of his comfort zone. He tried to carry the load down there but struggled. He even tried gaining some weight to help us out down low and give us more of a presence on the blocks.  I respect him for trying but he needed what he ended up getting at Kansas, a year to sit out and get stronger and work against some quality bigs while getting acclimated to the game at this level.

Good luck Hunter.
Hogs up! Covid down!

yraciv

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 14, 2014, 10:56:01 am
Mickelson came along at the wrong time. The roster was in flux and Powell got hurt which thrust Mickelson into the low post and out of his comfort zone. He tried to carry the load down there but struggled. He even tried gaining some weight to help us out down low and give us more of a presence on the blocks.  I respect him for trying but he needed what he ended up getting at Kansas, a year to sit out and get stronger and work against some quality bigs while getting acclimated to the game at this level.

Good luck Hunter.

Mickelson is a next level PF. College game doesn't have too many dominant C so you can get away with playing guys like Mickelson at the 5.  Kansas has 6'8, 240 lb, beast in Cliff Alexander coming in that will be a Top 10 draft pick, so there is one spot taken.  Perry Ellis will also be back, but I look at him as more of a SF/PF hybrid.  I think the C would be Mickelson's for the taking if they don't get Turner. And who are we kidding, despite the talks, you know Embied isn't coming back.

passinghog

Mickelson hasn't showed to be skilled enough to start at Kansas. So "NO" for now...

FineAsSwine

Quote from: yraciv on March 14, 2014, 11:04:41 am
Mickelson is a next level PF. College game doesn't have too many dominant C so you can get away with playing guys like Mickelson at the 5.  Kansas has 6'8, 240 lb, beast in Cliff Alexander coming in that will be a Top 10 draft pick, so there is one spot taken.  Perry Ellis will also be back, but I look at him as more of a SF/PF hybrid.  I think the C would be Mickelson's for the taking if they don't get Turner. And who are we kidding, despite the talks, you know Embied isn't coming back.

Hunter playing with his back to the basket? Don't think that's his game. More of a Portis type of game for Hunter if you ask me. They both seem to prefer the outside.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Rbill

If they teach him how to dunk when standing under the basket then watch out.

The_Iceman

Put away all the talk about skill and systems. I just didn't see the fire or passion from Mickelson to be a high level player. Just seemed way too soft.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 11:22:55 am
Put away all the talk about skill and systems. I just didn't see the fire or passion from Mickelson to be a high level player. Just seemed way too soft.
I'll take Portis every time, and Kingsley too.

Iwastherein1969

The long Grey line will never fail our country.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 14, 2014, 11:25:11 am

I agree but a year off to work on his game has got to make mickelson ready to contribute now. He had some potential. Just think how much farther along Portis and Kingsley would have been if they had a year to sit out and work on their game while learning the system.
Hogs up! Covid down!

yraciv

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 14, 2014, 11:31:22 am
I agree but a year off to work on his game has got to make mickelson ready to contribute now. He had some potential. Just think how much farther along Portis and Kingsley would have been if they had a year to sit out and work on their game while learning the system.

I'd take all 3. Can't imagine how good we'd be next year with all of them.  Each has a different skill set that would complement the others.

Razorhawg09

Dirty

GuvHog

I agree, because they fit Mike's system. Mickelson did not fit Mike's system but he DOES fit Bill Self's system.

passinghog

March 14, 2014, 12:00:26 pm #20 Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:52:53 pm by Showtimehog
Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on March 14, 2014, 11:53:33 am
I agree, because they fit Mike's system. Mickelson did not fit Mike's system but he DOES fit Bill Self's system.

He hasn't shown to be skilled enough to play in Bill Self's system either. if you're soft, you sit on the bench everywhere. Period.

GuvHog

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 14, 2014, 12:00:26 pm
He hasn't show to be skilled enough to play in Bill Self's system either. if you're soft, you sit on the bench everywhere. Period.

How do you know??? Have you watched him practice at Kansas during his Redshirt season???

Fatmanhog

I have several KU fan friends (puke) and they all hear tremendous things about him. I have no idea if it is true or just fans wanting the guy to be good becaue he transfered there. I hope the kid well. I want to see him do good. I thought he was just fine as a player. Hated to see him go and maybe thats why I listen to my friends about how good he is doing.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on March 14, 2014, 12:02:52 pm
How do you know??? Have you watched him practice at Kansas during his Redshirt season???

Have you?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Auburn

You guys are morons.  Mickelson has plenty of skill and even more potential.  His upside is higher than all current hogs except Portis (and maybe Kingsley) for pro ball.  Did he put it all together at UofA?  Nope.  But that isn't unusual, most players don't have the savvy until they get the experience.

Mick is good, high potential.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Auburn on March 14, 2014, 12:13:29 pm
You guys are morons.  Mickelson has plenty of skill and even more potential.  His upside is higher than all current hogs except Portis (and maybe Kingsley) for pro ball.  Did he put it all together at UofA?  Nope.  But that isn't unusual, most players don't have the savvy until they get the experience.

I would add Madden to that group as well. Mostly agree though.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Rbill

Quote from: Auburn on March 14, 2014, 12:13:29 pm

This is true. I expect him to do very well in Kansas. I'm not joking when I say all he needed to learn to do was dunk it when he's standing below the rim. Then watch out. Seriously.

texas tush hog

As a five, yes, but Self will take Mick to the next level as a three or four.Not taking anything away from Mike Anderson but his style is what it is and it will take us to the next level ala Nolan. In the mean time I believe Self will develop Mickelson int a Scott Hastings type player and he will spend many years in the league. Self is a great coach and he does not waste schollies. I believe Mike Anderson is also a great coach but two entirely different systems. Mick did not fit CMA's system but will thrive in Self's IMHO.

mbgrulz

This is obvious to anybody and everybody I talk to and believe myself.

He may put it together, but I would hate to bet on it based off of what we saw. We upgraded BIG TIME with Portis and Kingsley.

PonderinHog

One other thing...

;D

Go Hogs!   :razorback:

passinghog

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 14, 2014, 12:33:18 pm
                 As a five, yes, but Self will take Mick to the next level as a three or four.Not taking anything away from Mike Anderson but his style is what it is and it will take us to the next level ala Nolan. In the mean time I believe Self will develop Mickelson int a Scott Hastings type player and he will spend many years in the league. Self is a great coach and he does not waste schollies. I believe Mike Anderson is also a great coach but two entirely different systems. Mick did not fit CMA's system but will thrive in Self's IMHO.

Mick isn't a 3, will never be a 3. When will people understand this? He's not quick enough to play the 3, he doesn't shoot wel enough to be a 3 either. He's a 4 or maybe a 5 in an open court system.

jaredkr

The only point I'm making is Mike needs to learn to adapt to his players' skill set
I am Ray Finkel

yraciv

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 14, 2014, 12:55:24 pm

Mick isn't a 3, will never be a 3. When will people understand this? He's not quick enough to play the 3, he doesn't shoot wel enough to be a 3 either. He's a 4 or maybe a 5 in an open court system.

Ha! Yeah people have been wanting him to play the 3 for years, and I just laugh at these things. He is a pick and pop 4 that has some range. He can defend the 5 if need be due to his size, but there is no way he could handle or be quick enough to keep up with the majority of major level 3s.

pillowhog

LOL if he does Anderson needs fired immediately! 

pillowhog

Quote from: jaredkr on March 14, 2014, 01:28:34 pm
The only point I'm making is Mike needs to learn to adapt to his players' skill set
Not gonna happen he only knows one style of play-Run around with your head cut off and hack

RockChalkJayhawk

For those of you who have an interest, here is Mick's progress report from January:
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2014/jan/02/big-patience-transfer-hunter-mickelson-using-year-/

I don't ever see him starting for KU as the OP asked, but I know he's been doing some good work on the scout team.  Kansas has already signed the Naismith Player of the Year in Cliff Alexander, and they remain alive in the recruitment of Myles Turner.
http://zagsblog.com/articles/duke-kansas-remain-viable-options-for-myles-turner-will-visit-texas-last-possible-visit-to-kentucky/
Of course all that depends on the status of Joel Embiid who is currently sitting out due to a back ailment.  Embiid's draft stock remains high but it's still uncertain whether or not he will declare.

KU will also return Jamari Traylor, Perry Ellis, and Landen Lucas for next season, so there will be a lot of post depth in the program.  I feel it was obvious that Mick wasn't the best fit at Arkansas, so his leaving was likely best for both parties. Mick was able to try and find playing time elsewhere, and Arkansas was free to find a more athletic post player that can fit the Fastest 40 approach.  I'm not sure if Mick will ever help Kansas, hopefully he can, but for sure he is in a system that will fit what he brings to the table as a basketball player.  He was obviously too clunky and slow for Anderson's style.

poloprince

Who cares?  Post this topic on a KU board and not here. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

jaredkr

Quote from: poloprince on March 14, 2014, 02:57:30 pm

dynamite drop in Donnie.. that broadcast school is really paying off
I am Ray Finkel

Danny J

He is getting the time and attention at KU that he needed out of HS to improve his game. He was never going to get that under CMA. He felt the pressure to honor his commit and stay and play for the team he grew up rooting for. I will still pull for him to do well at KU. He is getting the practice he needs against pro prospects down low.

Steelhawg

Quote from: poloprince on March 14, 2014, 02:57:30 pm

Um!!!!! 10-4 on that!!!!!
"All things good or bad will come to an end. Except time."Roger Waters

cypert2

Unless he's shown a world of improvement during his redshirt year, no, he won't start.
Swinging on the two and the four.

three hog night

Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

rusvegashog

Plenty of other threads u can go  be a deuche in. Having said that he's getting to play  in the greatest arena in all of college basketball, so that's not too shabby, but no I don't see him starting for KU. He's an Arkansas kid and I wish all the luck in the world. Dudes a class act.

Smithian

If Bill Self finds a way to make him a valuable player at one of basketball's elite programs I'll be very disappointed in the coaching staff. Mickelson grew up a Hog fan, chose Arkansas over many big time offers, stuck with the program through a coaching change, and then was more or less run off according to some people. I thought Mickelson was just a dud but Bill Self saw differently and I'll take Bill Self's opinion over anyone on this board or even our own coaching staff.

The real Hogules

I wish things would have worked out for Hunter at Arkansas, but at least he inked with the UofA and gave it a go!

I hold NO hard feeling where Hunter is concerned and wish him nothing but the absolute very best in his future.

He's a good kid that attended the UofA for awhile and never brought shame to the program.
Once again, best of luck to HM!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

870hogfan

oldman1015

Quote from: jaredkr on March 14, 2014, 01:28:34 pm
or get players with more skill.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

acey33

We could say that about a couple players on the Ar roster right now

mbgrulz

If Mick is starting, it means Kansas is taking a year off of being good.

HawgWild

I was thinking about this while watching Kansas lose their tournament game. Kansas was really, really quick when they went to the press and played up-tempo; quicker even than Arkansas. I don't see Mickelson playing that style.