Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nick Williams signs with Indiana

Started by swinesation, April 21, 2008, 10:24:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

April 21, 2008, 10:24:00 am Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 03:08:23 pm by opineonswine
Looking at William's strengths and weaknesses (which obviously don't tell the whole story), it seems to me that he is a LOT like Jonathan Modica. Their strengths were/are their size and shot. Their weaknesses were/are shooting off the dribble and passing. Also, they are the same size, 6-4, 200. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Modica was good. His biggest problems were his tempermant and being put in the position where he had to be "the man."

Anyway, I'm sure some of you know better than I how Williams and Modica compare. I'm mainly posting this to hear what others think. Fire away.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/

fu-man-soo

one thing is nick williams is more proven coming out of mobile vs smackover.

opineonswine

Modica would have been better had he not had to suffer thru Heath's obsession with Olu.

We NEED Nick Williams and I will be delighted and thankful if he signs with Arkansas.

kibster

Quote from: opineonswine on April 21, 2008, 10:26:12 am
Modica would have been better had he not had to suffer thru Heath's obsession with Olu.

We NEED Nick Williams and I will be delighted and thankful if he signs with Arkansas.

What do you think our odds are of getting him after his visit this weekend?
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

swinesation

Quote from: opineonswine on April 21, 2008, 10:26:12 am

I agree that we need Williams. If Beverly leaves, our need for Williams borders on desperate.

johnfanman

beverly's not leaving..what is the obsession with this rumor, its nonsense.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

returntoglory

i heard that he and pelphrey were going to the knicks.

swinesation

Quote from: johnfanman on April 21, 2008, 10:41:44 am
beverly's not leaving..what is the obsession with this rumor, its nonsense.

Rather than derail this thread, if you want to throw up your hands and rant about these "nonsensical" rumors, please go to the Basketball forum and read the entire "Beverly and Welsh" thread. You will find there some substantive information on this issue.

returntoglory

dotnet

He would still be a good get. 

Williams seems like he is a lot more athletic than Modica.  He can take people off the dribble which Modica couldn't do very well.. hence he is a SG and not a SF like Modica... which is better for his size.

opineonswine

We should know about Williams tomorrow.  And yes, Beverley is staying.

Hogginitall

Quote from: opineonswine on April 21, 2008, 12:26:04 pm
We should know about Williams tomorrow.  And yes, Beverley is staying.

Where do you think he ends up?  Could you give us some percentages, or something?

opineonswine

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 21, 2008, 12:36:03 pm
Where do you think he ends up?  Could you give us some percentages, or something?

I'm as clueless as the next guy.  I just know they expect to hear tomorrow.

returntoglory

I hope we get this guy cuz it will be a good way in to get Demarcus Cousins.

Hogginitall

Quote from: opineonswine on April 21, 2008, 12:37:17 pm
I'm as clueless as the next guy.  I just know they expect to hear tomorrow.

Oh.  I thought you might've heard something.  What about you, Woo Pig Stewie?  Tomhog?  Anyone heard anything about which way he might be leaning.  I really would like to land him.

farmhawg

Hasn't Cousins said that he is going to UAB? He sounded like e very solid commit.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hogginitall

Quote from: farmhawg on April 21, 2008, 02:03:14 pm
Hasn't Cousins said that he is going to UAB? He sounded like e very solid commit.

Yes, he's a solid verbal.  However, there's a long time before he actually has to sign his LOI.  He's a 2009 recruit.

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

kibster

Nick Williams = not coming to Arkansas.

http://indiana.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=799881

crap.....I was really wanting him to sign.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

dotnet

Hogginitall

opineonswine

With Beverley staying, Williams loss is not as crushing.

Tomhog™

We have four players that can play the Shooting Guard in Beverley, Welsh, Clarke, and even Henry.  We will be ok at the position.

To me it's not that big of a loss.

Wild Bill Hog

Indiana was the team to beat all along.  NW has a strong commitment to Crean.  Not surprising he's going to IU, but it is disappointing.  I was hoping being an AL kid he would want to play in the SEC.

Tomhog™

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on April 21, 2008, 04:07:09 pm
Indiana was the team to beat all along.  NW has a strong commitment to Crean.  Not surprising he's going to IU, but it is disappointing.  I was hoping being an AL kid he would want to play in the SEC.

With Beverley staying, I think he saw the lack of playing time as a freshman.  That probably played a major factor in his decision.

The_Bionic_Pig

WE ARE DONE RECRUITING for 08'   Unless we are getting a transfer who is a IMPACT TYPE PLAYER.   Now we have 3 scholies for 09'  Coaching staff is now focused on that now so we might as well do the same.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

kibster

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 21, 2008, 04:08:35 pm
WE ARE DONE RECRUITING for 08'   Unless we are getting a transfer who is a IMPACT TYPE PLAYER.   Now we have 3 scholies for 09'  Coaching staff is now focused on that now so we might as well do the same.

3?   by my count it is 2 to hold over.

chiefsfan

Quote from: kibster on April 21, 2008, 04:12:52 pm
3?   by my count it is 2 to hold over.

Should be 3.    We had 8 open schollys after last season

This does mean that we will start next year with only 10 scholarship players.  A couple injuries could put us in trouble
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

opineonswine

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on April 21, 2008, 04:07:09 pm

He also admits to being "scared off" by the number of guards/swingmen we already have.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: donewithdale on April 21, 2008, 04:21:47 pm
So we kept our SG that couldn't shoot for most of the season instead of signing a new SG whose scouting report says he doesn't shoot well.  Besides the couple of inches of height don't see much difference.

Payne, Clarke & Henry are excellant outside shooters so that won't be a problem.   I doubt you see anyone playing more than 25 minutes per game due to whole0-sale substitutions. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: donewithdale on April 21, 2008, 04:31:38 pm
Better be because we didn't see much consistency from the players returning.

No I think Coach Pelphrey plans to run his opponents into the dirt and press most of the game. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

opineonswine

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 21, 2008, 04:36:43 pm
No I think Coach Pelphrey plans to run his opponents into the dirt and press most of the game. 

and the Hog fans cheered wildly......

kibster

April 21, 2008, 04:46:12 pm #37 Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:51:20 pm by kibster
Quote from: chiefsfan on April 21, 2008, 04:15:18 pm
Should be 3.    We had 8 open schollys after last season

This does mean that we will start next year with only 10 scholarship players.  A couple injuries could put us in trouble

wow...I have been miscounting all this time.  

Wait....no I have not.
Bev
Welsh
Washington
Payne
Sanchez
Clarke
Fortson
Clark
Henry
Moore
Britt

We only have 2 scholies holding over.

Razorvet

If we need the room a player will recieve an offer he can't refuse. When a team is trying to take the next step sometimes you will have to trim some fat. We really dont need to know or want to know.
Right?

The Boar War

I wish we could have signed him but if we sign Clarence Trent, Shawn Williams, and _______  a. Bush b. Walton c. Gulley;  I will be ecstatic.

Now I can see the scholarships working out.

Razorod

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 21, 2008, 04:08:35 pm
WE ARE DONE RECRUITING for 08'   Unless we are getting a transfer who is a IMPACT TYPE PLAYER.   Now we have 3 scholies for 09'  Coaching staff is now focused on that now so we might as well do the same.
i expect Pel to sign four next year when all is said and done. With Nick not signing, more likely to sign Shawn Williams next year along with Clarence Trent, Jenniro Bush and Derrick Favors (I can dream can't I).
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

3kgthog

Save the scholarships for next year. We are loaded on guards and forwards as it is. We don't need more. If we can get the upper tier 2009 guys we are after then it will be well worth saving them.

RZRBack_FAN

Guess Its safe to say he didnt enjoy his visit. He was here all weekend and the first day he gets home he signs with IU.

dclay89

NW would have been nice to have on the hill, but we do have a log jam of good guards.

He would have taken minutes from clarke due to his versatility. Now, the path is clear for clarke to come in and get plenty of minutes and develop into a star.

Adam Stokes

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: ChargerHog on April 21, 2008, 05:47:36 pm
Guess Its safe to say he didnt enjoy his visit. He was here all weekend and the first day he gets home he signs with IU.

dclay is right he noticed the logjam of players in his position.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Razorvet

I dont see how we could be losing recruiting battles to a team we just beat on National TV.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 21, 2008, 06:20:43 pm
dclay is right he noticed the logjam of players in his position.

Wow. If you're good, you play. No matter how much of a logjam there is.

Derrick Rose signed with Memphis when they already had Willie Kemp(the incumbent starter at point) and Andre Allen. He knew he was good enough to play.

Apparently, Nick Williams didn't think he was good enough to get minutes. That makes me feel better about what we already have.

Corkscrew Johnson

Not too worried.  I would rather have an extra scholly for 2009 than Nick Williams.  I think we can get much bigger bang for our scholarship buck with the talent that is interested in us for 09. 

I was a little suspicious about having 7 freshmen in one class anyway.  Donkeys can't fix cars, that's crazy!!

jgphillips3

Quote from: Razorvet on April 21, 2008, 06:24:09 pm
I dont see how we could be losing recruiting battles to a team we just beat on National TV.

The new coach at Indiana is the coach he committed to previously.  When Crean (?) went to IU it only made sense for the kid to follow him there.  This isn't like a kid who thinks IU's future is brighter than ours.  He stuck with the coach he originally signed with...just at the coach's new school.