Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OU playing 2008's most embarrassing game

Started by hogsanity, April 15, 2008, 01:20:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cosmodrum

The sad thing is, when the article says in the past 20 seasons UT-Chattenooga is 0-19 against Div 1-A foes and only one was decided by fewer than 14 points, I had to look it up to make sure it wasn't us last year. Instead, we smoked 'em by 19.
Go away, batin'

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 15, 2008, 01:38:02 pm
The sad thing is, when the article says in the past 20 seasons UT-Chattenooga is 0-19 against Div 1-A foes and only one was decided by fewer than 14 points, I had to look it up to make sure it wasn't us last year. Instead, we smoked 'em by 19.

The sad thing is that teams like OU are still playing these type games.  And I say the same about any BCS conf school, including the Hogs, playing 1aa teams.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: hogsanity on April 15, 2008, 01:49:12 pm
The sad thing is that teams like OU are still playing these type games.  And I say the same about any BCS conf school, including the Hogs, playing 1aa teams.

Ask Michigan what they think of D-1AA teams.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

cosmodrum

No argument here. And what's worse is that the bigger school loses face if they don't demolish the other team. Thus, coaches leave in their best players longer than necessary to run up the score. A) that is low-class, and b) it could get your best players hurt.
Go away, batin'

hogsanity

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on April 15, 2008, 01:53:29 pm

Yes, 1 time, and it was maybe the best 1aa team EVER that pulled off that win.  Do you honestly think, if OU played Chat 100 times that Chat would win any games?

cosmodrum

April 15, 2008, 01:57:09 pm #6 Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:53:38 am by cosmodrum
Quote from: Amityvillehogger on April 15, 2008, 01:53:29 pm

The ONLY exception to the rule. Didn't they three-peat? They are absolutely dominant in their classification. And yeah, if they didn't play, Michigan wouldn't have have been ridiculed for an entire season.
Go away, batin'

hogfan064

11. The Citadel at Florida, Nov. 22: The Citadel isn't horrible – the Bulldogs were 7-4 last season. But that was just its second winning season in the past 13. Plus, it's a horrible date to be playing a I-AA team. This will be Florida's final home game of the season. Playing a mediocre I-AA program – that's sure a nice way to send out the seniors.

Arkansas said the samething in 92, so did South Carolina in 1990.  Don't mess with the military college of the south.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 15, 2008, 01:57:23 pm
11. The Citadel at Florida, Nov. 22: The Citadel isn't horrible – the Bulldogs were 7-4 last season. But that was just its second winning season in the past 13. Plus, it's a horrible date to be playing a I-AA team. This will be Florida's final home game of the season. Playing a mediocre I-AA program – that's sure a nice way to send out the seniors.

Arkansas said the samething in 92, so did South Carolina in 1990.  Don't mess with the military college of the south.

salt meet wound...
Go away, batin'

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 15, 2008, 01:57:23 pm

So, the 92 Hog team, and the 90 SC team were as good as this years Fla team?  Be real. 

hogfan064

April 15, 2008, 02:04:22 pm #11 Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:08:55 pm by hogfan064
Quote from: hogsanity on April 15, 2008, 02:00:38 pm
So, the 92 Hog team, and the 90 SC team were as good as this years Fla team?  Be real. 

Hey those teams were coached by the legends Jack Crowe and Sparky Woods!!!!

It's a joke... I don't really think The Citadel will beat Florida, although they did play FSU very tough last year.

They were tied 21-21 with Wisconsin at halftime last year and lost 45-31.

hogsanity

Where is the outrage at the great Stoops and his AD.  Last year, when we played T-Chat, it was because we were cowards, ducking big time competition.  Does anyone here feel the same about OU?  And, besides, it is a chance to take shots at OU.

NuttinItUp

I'm glad we didn't make the list for once.

hogfan064

Quote from: hogsanity on April 15, 2008, 02:11:56 pm
Where is the outrage at the great Stoops and his AD.  Last year, when we played T-Chat, it was because we were cowards, ducking big time competition.  Does anyone here feel the same about OU?  And, besides, it is a chance to take shots at OU.

It's the norm in college football these days.  Heck, Clemson is playing 2 1-AA teams next year as is Texas Tech. 

HoopS

Hogsanity, forgive me if I am wrong.....

I thought you were one that defended us and our weak schedule of OOC opponents?  No?

Like I said, I could have you confused with someone else.  I just know that everytime I complained about us playing these type of scrubs, I got a lesson in the woes of scheduling and whatnot. 

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on April 15, 2008, 02:19:07 pm
Hogsanity, forgive me if I am wrong.....

I thought you were one that defended us and our weak schedule of OOC opponents?  No?

Like I said, I could have you confused with someone else.  I just know that everytime I complained about us playing these type of scrubs, I got a lesson in the woes of scheduling and whatnot. 

I said in many posts that I don't think any d1 team should be allowed to play 1aa teams.  I also know it is the norm.  Clemson, Gtech, FSU and TT all play 2 1aa teams. 

Cupcakes and 1aa teams, imo, are different.  At least crappy d1 teams are in your same division. 

I do think that we should not fell like we have to schedule tough ooc games, due to our tough sec slate.  If the school wants to schedule A&M or USC, or some other top level team, greta, but I wont be griping if the play 4 occ "gimmees" either.

MGCAPRI

I like what was said about MIZZO. That if your gonna play a cupcake DIV II team at least its one from your own state.

hogsanity

Quote from: MGCAPRI on April 15, 2008, 02:26:25 pm
I like what was said about MIZZO. That if your gonna play a cupcake DIV II team at least its one from your own state.

Kind of like, "if your are going to date an ugly girl, make it one from your own neighborhood."? 

hogfan064

Quote from: MGCAPRI on April 15, 2008, 02:26:25 pm

The State of South Carolina(Clemson and USC) were both pressured by the State Senate to play 1-AA teams like Furman, The Citadel, Wofford, SC State, Coastal and keep the money instate

HoopS

I don't like have 1AA teams on the docket.  I don't want us to be stupid and go murderers row of OOC's either.  This year, the schedule is about right.  One marquee type game, one from either CUSA, WAC, MWest, etc.....  And 2 gimmees. 

The_Iceman

nice picture of Kodi Burns in that article......thanks Nutt!

idiotghos

Where is the outrage at the great Stoops and his AD.  Last year, when we played T-Chat, it was because we were cowards, ducking big time competition.  Does anyone here feel the same about OU? 

I feel the same about OU, but I don't know that too many care enough about the sooners to be outraged.

EastexHawg

At least they didn't run away from a non-conference game that was already scheduled against a BCS conference opponent so they could keep that much-anticipated date with UT-Chattanooga...and come up with some lame excuse about how they would have had 13 games on the schedule if they hadn't backed out of the game against the BCS program, blah, blah, blah.

cosmodrum

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 15, 2008, 03:51:16 pm
At least they didn't run away from a non-conference game that was already scheduled against a BCS conference opponent so they could keep that much-anticipated date with UT-Chattanooga...and come up with some lame excuse about how they would have had 13 games on the schedule if they hadn't backed out of the game against the BCS program, blah, blah, blah.

I can't imagine what group of clowns would do something like that...
Go away, batin'

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: idiotghos on April 15, 2008, 03:07:29 pm
I feel the same about OU, but I don't know that too many care enough about the sooners to be outraged.

There's nothing like seeing OU (and Texas) lose.  Maybe OU should play Chattanooga in the Fiesta Bowl so they can say they won in Arizona for a change.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hogs4Ever

It's not about playing a competitive team.  It's about the money.  We have to pay a 1AA team much less to play us at home than a 1A team.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Silver Hog

Glad we are not on that list. We must have been on it 2-3 times last season.

SkunkyMunky

that was on that page figured i'd post it.
"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer

OklaU

I think OU has played a nice share of non-conference games and have some big ones coming up.  There due their cupcake just as everyone else is.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 15, 2008, 01:38:02 pm

I agree that OU should NOT be playing UT-Chatt but I also agree that we have a lot of gall saying anything about it. Like we are the "Kings of difficult non conference schedules"? Don't bring up 2008, that is this year, not what we have been doing in the past and it is that which I speak of.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorBassin

That is one list I am glad we're not on.

OklaU

Quote from: jj1121 on April 15, 2008, 08:32:31 pm
That is one list I am glad we're not on.

Sure?  I mean it isn't really a bad thing though they are making it negative press, however it doesn't really seem that way.

darrellgentry

I wonder if the people who write this most embarassing crap, realize that the only Div I-AA schools can financially afford to even play sports is to play top tier teams and get the big paycheck.  Case in point, Arkansas State playing Virginia Tech and getting payed good money to come get a butt-whipping.

Tejano Jawg

April 15, 2008, 09:37:23 pm #35 Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:47:45 pm by Tejano Jawg
Quote from: SkunkyMunky on April 15, 2008, 04:55:37 pm

that was on that page figured i'd post it.

Good...just one more opportunity to say "thanks Nutt."

That was a pretty entertaining read...and I agree, I'm glad we didn't make that list. We don't need one more thing for the media to dogpile.

And Hogsanity is right...boy, you've got some winners on there. My faves are Auburn vs UT-Martin (who?) for their homecoming, Charleston "Southern" (you mean there's more than one?) vs the 2 Miami schools, and of course, UT-Chat at OU. Nice.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

spudhog

you're exactly right. there has to be some kind of penalty for any bcs con team playing a 1AA. i know that they want to get the backups some pt and there can be some good to come out of these games but let's be real.

unless you're playing a top level 1AA, you'll win by 50 and only risk injuring a good player.

hogsanity

Quote from: spudhog on April 16, 2008, 09:16:06 am
you're exactly right. there has to be some kind of penalty for any bcs con team playing a 1AA. i know that they want to get the backups some pt and there can be some good to come out of these games but let's be real.

unless you're playing a top level 1AA, you'll win by 50 and only risk injuring a good player.

There are plenty of crummy div 1 teams to go around. 

arklahoman36

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 15, 2008, 08:32:04 pm
I agree that OU should NOT be playing UT-Chatt but I also agree that we have a lot of gall saying anything about it. Like we are the "Kings of difficult non conference schedules"? Don't bring up 2008, that is this year, not what we have been doing in the past and it is that which I speak of.

This will be only the second 1-AA team OU will play since Stoops has been there. Don't think ARK can say that for the last 10 years. UT-Chatt was added after Clemson backed out of coming to Norman and BYU declined OU's overtures to replace Clemson on the schedule.

Doesn't mean it's not an embarrassing game to be played, but it sort of shows the author's laziness, when he says, I don't care about the circumstances that led to any of the games being scheduled.

hogsanity

Quote from: arklahoman36 on April 16, 2008, 09:53:32 am
This will be only the second 1-AA team OU will play since Stoops has been there. Don't think ARK can say that for the last 10 years. UT-Chatt was added after Clemson backed out of coming to Norman and BYU declined OU's overtures to replace Clemson on the schedule.

Doesn't mean it's not an embarrassing game to be played, but it sort of shows the author's laziness, when he says, I don't care about the circumstances that led to any of the games being scheduled.

Laziness?  I think his statement shows he did know the circumstances, and he does not care why these games are scheduled, he thinks they are the 12 worst games of the year.

hogfan064

Quote from: hogsanity on April 16, 2008, 09:23:15 am
There are plenty of crummy div 1 teams to go around. 

Are there enough to fill up a 12 game schedule?  Seriously what are the logistics of it.  Could it be possible for all 119 schools to only play 1-A competition?

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 16, 2008, 10:31:18 am
Are there enough to fill up a 12 game schedule?  Seriously what are the logistics of it.  Could it be possible for all 119 schools to only play 1-A competition?

Maybe not.  Last year, there were 70 matchups of d1 teams agains1aa teams, with the majority of those being teams oin the big 6 conferences. Which means lower d teams dont seem to have problems filling up their 12 game schedules with all d1 teams. 

hogfan064

Quote from: hogsanity on April 16, 2008, 10:48:04 am
Maybe not.  Last year, there were 70 matchups of d1 teams agains1aa teams, with the majority of those being teams oin the big 6 conferences. Which means lower d teams dont seem to have problems filling up their 12 game schedules with all d1 teams. 

Those lower tier D1 schools rely on the upper tier for $$.  For Arkansas State it would make much more financial sense to play UT than to play VMI

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 16, 2008, 11:03:27 am
Those lower tier D1 schools rely on the upper tier for $$.  For Arkansas State it would make much more financial sense to play UT than to play VMI

Oh, I know, in the end it is all about $.  For a Team like Ou to play T-Chat means no return home game, means another home game in another season, means lots more $ in tickets and concessions.

hogfan064

Quote from: hogsanity on April 16, 2008, 11:14:31 am
Oh, I know, in the end it is all about $.  For a Team like Ou to play T-Chat means no return home game, means another home game in another season, means lots more $ in tickets and concessions.

I really don't have any issue with playing these kind of teams.  As long as the team plays 1 very good OOC team(Texas) and 1 competetive team(Tulsa).  In a 12 game schedule I'll allow 2 patsies OOC.  Very few teams play 0-1 patsies OOC and those that do don't play in the SEC.

Redbug

OU  is just as guilty as everybody else....when they played a home and home with Bama several years ago they played in Norman first...barely won...AND THEN TRIED LIKE HOLY HELL to buy or reschuedule their way out of going to Tuscaloosa the next year...they ended up going...but were practically kicking and screaming the whole way....

The year Aubie went undefeated and was pummelled for their "easy sched" they had Bowling Green back out on them at the last second...Bowling Green had been very good for several years and was getting positive publicity even though they were not anywhere as good that year...Bowling Green's AD was the OU AD's  good buddy & "backpocket boy" and dropped Aubie and played OU after OU got out of returning a game with a tougher opponent....

Stoops has tried to soften up the schedule the last 5 or 6 years...threatened not to return games to the west coast because of officiating...(welcome to the real world OU...) He tries to bully the conference to not schedule OSU as the last game of the year....like playing Baylor last should be and OU tradition....(so they can have extra time off before the the conference championship game...)

I have to give em credit for one thing...they are quick to swoop in and try and schedule a home and home (1st game in Norman) with name teams that have fallen off the cliff and are only a shadow of their former selves when OU has them coming to town....

artyhog

Best part of the whole article was that the Hogs were not in it.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Redbug on April 16, 2008, 12:12:11 pm
I have to give em credit for one thing...they are quick to swoop in and try and schedule a home and home (1st game in Norman) with name teams that have fallen off the cliff and are only a shadow of their former selves when OU has them coming to town....

And some programs...like SEMO, Utah State, and Florida International...don't even cast shadows.

I'm not sure when it became a truth of the universe that major college football programs have to schedule minor league opponents.  I don't see Texas 5-A football programs scheduling games against Class 1-A or 2-A schools, and I don't see NFL teams playing two or three games a year against CFL or NFL Europe competition.

How do they do it?

PolishPigPower

Quote from: hogsanity on April 15, 2008, 02:24:44 pm
I said in many posts that I don't think any d1 team should be allowed to play 1aa teams.  I also know it is the norm.  Clemson, Gtech, FSU and TT all play 2 1aa teams. 

Cupcakes and 1aa teams, imo, are different.  At least crappy d1 teams are in your same division. 

I do think that we should not fell like we have to schedule tough ooc games, due to our tough sec slate.  If the school wants to schedule A&M or USC, or some other top level team, greta, but I wont be griping if the play 4 occ "gimmees" either.

Plus, wins over cupcake Bowl Subdivision teams will count in meeting the criteria to go bowling in mid-December...
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

OklaU

Quote from: Redbug on April 16, 2008, 12:12:11 pm
OU  is just as guilty as everybody else....when they played a home and home with Bama several years ago they played in Norman first...barely won...AND THEN TRIED LIKE HOLY HELL to buy or reschuedule their way out of going to Tuscaloosa the next year...they ended up going...but were practically kicking and screaming the whole way....

The year Aubie went undefeated and was pummelled for their "easy sched" they had Bowling Green back out on them at the last second...Bowling Green had been very good for several years and was getting positive publicity even though they were not anywhere as good that year...Bowling Green's AD was the OU AD's  good buddy & "backpocket boy" and dropped Aubie and played OU after OU got out of returning a game with a tougher opponent....

Stoops has tried to soften up the schedule the last 5 or 6 years...threatened not to return games to the west coast because of officiating...(welcome to the real world OU...) He tries to bully the conference to not schedule OSU as the last game of the year....like playing Baylor last should be and OU tradition....(so they can have extra time off before the the conference championship game...)

Don't be an envious homer.  That's silly.