Previous topic - Next topic

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Kilgor

cardinalhawg

That is a good read on Dumes.  It sounds like another good shooting guard that fits the type of recruit that Pelphrey has been going for.  However, I like many, would like to see another inside guy, if we sign two in the spring.

The Boar War

Quote from: cardinalhawg on April 11, 2008, 04:52:16 pm
That is a good read on Dumes.  It sounds like another good shooting guard that fits the type of recruit that Pelphrey has been going for.  However, I like many, would like to see another inside guy, if we sign two in the spring.

Definitely need another inside guy.  If they are truly recruiting Dumes it makes you wonder if Fortson is going to make the grades.  We already have a potential three point scorer in Rotnei Clarke.  I'm not sure why we would go after a 6'2 point guard unless grades are the issue.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: The Boar War on April 11, 2008, 05:19:49 pm
Definitely need another inside guy.  If they are truly recruiting Dumes it makes you wonder if Fortson is going to make the grades.  We already have a potential three point scorer in Rotnei Clarke.  I'm not sure why we would go after a 6'2 point guard unless grades are the issue.

If this comes about we are going to run teams out of the building with mass substitutions.  ThE 09' season seems to be shaping up as the year of the FULL COURT PRESS!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

farmhawg

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 11, 2008, 05:34:41 pm
If this comes about we are going to run teams out of the building with mass substitutions.  ThE 09' season seems to be shaping up as the year of the FULL COURT PRESS!!

That would be great!
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jacksonhawg

It seems to me that the team Pelphrey inherited is exactly the opposite from what he recruits; he seems to like lengthy 6'6" guys with long arms. He also seems to be very guard oriented, I would imagine that this would fit the model of a pressing and trapping team without a lot of size inside.

bgsisco

Vincennes is the juco that Shawn Marion went to by the way.  His jersey is retired there.

opineonswine

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on April 12, 2008, 08:10:45 am
It will take a miracle to make the tournament.

It won't be easy with so many newcomers, but with talent and coaching, anything can happen.  Miracle is stretching it in my opinion.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on April 12, 2008, 08:10:45 am
It will take a miracle to make the tournament.

you probably said that in the middle of this season

bd93

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 12, 2008, 09:57:29 am

He would say that even if we had a roster full of All Americans.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 12, 2008, 09:57:29 am

Actually he did on several occassions:

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on January 19, 2008, 08:51:20 pm
Good lord. Can you say delusional? I guess you people will still be claiming Pelphrey is the second coming even when we don't make the tourney.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

outlaw68

can someone post his scout/rivals page

The_Bionic_Pig

Dumas is a instant offense type of player like Al Dillard  but 6'2 like Nolan Richarson utilized.  He is not going to take minutes away from Courtney Fortson but then again I foresee mass substitutions due to the amount of pressure that is going to be applied and I am talking 94' of trapping Defense due to the athleticism of this team.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

bd93

Here is his Rival's profile.  I couldn't find his scout profile.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 12, 2008, 10:55:09 am
Dumas is a instant offense type of player like Al Dillard  but 6'2 like Nolan Richarson utilized.  He is not going to take minutes away from Courtney Fortson but then again I foresee mass substitutions due to the amount of pressure that is going to be applied and I am talking 94' of trapping Defense due to the athleticism of this team.

i wish we would save the ship we're going to give to Dumes. I just cannot get that excited about somebody who just averaged 8 points a game at Eastern michigan.  I would like to take Brown and Henry and then get a blockbuster recruit in 09.

Our interest in Dumes worries me. Either one of our guards wont make the grades or somebody will leave.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 12, 2008, 12:03:40 pm
i wish we would save the ship we're going to give to Dumes. I just cannot get that excited about somebody who just averaged 8 points a game at Eastern michigan.  I would like to take Brown and Henry and then get a blockbuster recruit in 09.

Our interest in Dumes worries me. Either one of our guards wont make the grades or somebody will leave.

Your statement sparked my curiosity and here is what I discovered:

High School Career:

a combo guard who can play both the point and shooting guard positions. Dumes finished his career with a flourish, averaging 24.4 points a game. He made 63-of-177 three-point shots for 35.6 percent and added 5.8 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.4 steals. Dumes completed his career as Decatur Central High School's leading scorer with 1,306 points. He was selected as one of the Top 40 Indiana High School Seniors by Hoosier Basketball Magazine and he was an honorable mention All-State selection by the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association (IBCA). Dumes was named to the All-Marian County team as a junior and senior, joining the likes of top 10 national recruits Greg Oden and Mike Conley in 2006 and Eric Gordon in 2007.

College Career:

He came into a situation where EMU was heavy on Guard play with him being the only freshmen on a team with 7 scholarship guards that is why I considered him the Alex Dillard of this basketball class.  He can put up numbers really fast and can handle the ball but isn't person you should focus your offense around.

He will have some games where he gives you 8-10 pts and others where he is the leading scorer 20+.  This recruiting class has the potential to have a different leading scorer every single night!

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 12, 2008, 12:57:00 pm
Your statement sparked my curiosity and here is what I discovered:

High School Career:

a combo guard who can play both the point and shooting guard positions. Dumes finished his career with a flourish, averaging 24.4 points a game. He made 63-of-177 three-point shots for 35.6 percent and added 5.8 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.4 steals. Dumes completed his career as Decatur Central High School’s leading scorer with 1,306 points. He was selected as one of the Top 40 Indiana High School Seniors by Hoosier Basketball Magazine and he was an honorable mention All-State selection by the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association (IBCA). Dumes was named to the All-Marian County team as a junior and senior, joining the likes of top 10 national recruits Greg Oden and Mike Conley in 2006 and Eric Gordon in 2007.

College Career:

He came into a situation where EMU was heavy on Guard play with him being the only freshmen on a team with 7 scholarship guards that is why I considered him the Alex Dillard of this basketball class.  He can put up numbers really fast and can handle the ball but isn't person you should focus your offense around.

He will have some games where he gives you 8-10 pts and others where he is the leading scorer 20+.  This recruiting class has the potential to have a different leading scorer every single night!

hope he can help if he comes. we're gonna need all the help we can get.
I just hope welsh doesnt leave and Fortson is eligible.

The Boar War

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 12, 2008, 01:02:24 pm
hope he can help if he comes. we're gonna need all the help we can get.
I just hope welsh doesnt leave and Fortson is eligible.

I hate to be negative but these are the only reasons why we would be interested in a NR player like Dumes.  His saving grace right now is that he is also being offered by Alabama and Ohio State.

I hope I am completely wrong about this guy and that he's all-sec caliber.  I just don't see the need to give this guy a scholarship when there are multiple, more talented, larger guys showing interest next year.  Bringing him in means cutting out a scholarship for Shawn Williams, Clarence Trent, A.J. Walton, or Fred Gulley next year.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: The Boar War on April 12, 2008, 01:16:46 pm
I hate to be negative but these are the only reasons why we would be interested in a NR player like Dumes.  His saving grace right now is that he is also being offered by Alabama and Ohio State.

I hope I am completely wrong about this guy and that he's all-sec caliber.  I just don't see the need to give this guy a scholarship when there are multiple, more talented, larger guys showing interest next year.  Bringing him in means cutting out a scholarship for Shawn Williams, Clarence Trent, A.J. Walton, or Fred Gulley next year.

Actually I suspect their will be a exodus of players next year this time as it is each year.   Believe me it always, always works itself out.  Players are very aware of who is being recruited and at what position. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

opineonswine

I hope I am completely wrong about this guy

You probably are.

mbgrulz

Bringing him in means cutting out a scholarship for Shawn Williams, Clarence Trent, A.J. Walton, or Fred Gulley next year.
No, it absolutely doesn't. Young exciting talent like these guys, will have a scholarship if they want.

mclyte

Stewie,

Do you think the likes of S. Williams, Walton, Favors, Stephenson and most of the guys we are on will wait until the spring signing period? I have noticed in the past where most of the big time prospects like to sign early in the fall...  If that is the case, it could throw Pel on on curveball...  Thank ya much for your insight!!!

mbgrulz

Most BB players commit in the summer, and sign in Nov. You can look at the Rivals top 100 and plainly see that 90% of the players have already signed.

I think Pel signs the best players he can.

i really think we end up with Trent, Williams, and AJ Walton/J. Bush.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 12, 2008, 02:39:31 pm
Most BB players commit in the summer, and sign in Nov. You can look at the Rivals top 100 and plainly see that 90% of the players have already signed.

exactamundo!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Porkatarian

Quote from: The Boar War on April 11, 2008, 05:19:49 pm
  If they are truly recruiting Dumes it makes you wonder if Fortson is going to make the grades. 

We are truly recruiting Dumes and it has NOTHING to do with Fortson's grades.  We may end up with one more defection.

Also Dumes is a pure 2G, who can shoot the heck out of the ball and who has a VERY GOOD mid-range game.

We may very well end up signing 3 here in the late period.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Porkatarian

They want to sign 3 in the next recruiting class.  I don't know how the numbers will work out, but I do know the coaches have a plan.  I'm guessing we'll sign Walton or Gulley, Trent, and Williams. 

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Razorod

Regarding a plan for next year:

PBev and Washington--if they have any kind of year at all--will go pro. Not necessarily NBA, but pro none-the-less. That's where I see a couple of scholarships coming from for the 09 class.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Razorod on April 12, 2008, 10:27:09 pm
Regarding a plan for next year:

PBev and Washington--if they have any kind of year at all--will go pro. Not necessarily NBA, but pro none-the-less. That's where I see a couple of scholarships coming from for the 09 class.
I just don't see either one being ready to go pro unless they are getting their advice from the same people that advised Olu Famutimi.

If Porkatarian is right, and they plan on signing three next year, then I imagine Pel will pull a scholarship from 3 players, which will probably mean they will end up transferring.  I'm sure Britt will end up being one of them, and as for the other two, I have no clue.  I'm very interested to see how it all plays out, especially if we do sign a total of 8 players this year.

The Boar War

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 12, 2008, 10:38:47 pm
I just don't see either one being ready to go pro unless they are getting their advice from the same people that advised Olu Famutimi.

If Porkatarian is right, and they plan on signing three next year, then I imagine Pel will pull a scholarship from 3 players, which will probably mean they will end up transferring.  I'm sure Britt will end up being one of them, and as for the other two, I have no clue.  I'm very interested to see how it all plays out, especially if we do sign a total of 8 players this year.

How often does this happen at other programs?  I realize that basketball scholarships are renewed yearly.  I can't remember us doing this in the recent past.  Then again in the recent past we haven't been that great.

Kilgor

Scholarships pulled:

Wenbos Mukubu
Kendrick Davis
Rashard Sullivan
Preston Cranford
Cyrus McGowan
Sean McCurdy
Nate Rakestraw
Levan Patsatsia

That's just in recent memory...  It makes me uncomfortable, but I blame it on the NCAA's limit of 13 scholarships.

The NCAA looks after what's best for the kids right?  :-\

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Kilgor on April 12, 2008, 11:42:46 pm
Scholarships pulled:

Wenbos Mukubu
Kendrick Davis
Rashard Sullivan
Preston Cranford
Cyrus McGowan
Sean McCurdy
Nate Rakestraw
Levan Patsatsia

That's just in recent memory...  It makes me uncomfortable, but I blame it on the NCAA's limit of 13 scholarships.

The NCAA looks after what's best for the kids right?  :-\

A couple of those guys did not have their scholarship pulled. They decided to leave on their own. 

Kilgor

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on April 13, 2008, 01:05:33 am
A couple of those guys did not have their scholarship pulled. They decided to leave on their own. 

I bet you like the movie Pollyanna too.

Hollywood_HOGan45

where's the beef???

Corkscrew Johnson

I'm not sure you can "pull" scholarships.   You can have a talk with this kid and hope he leaves on his own volition.

Or you can have a team meeting and accidentally leave "Jason Gilbert: part of the problem" on the chalkboard.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on April 13, 2008, 08:48:31 am

I'm not sure you can "pull" scholarships.   You can have a talk with this kid and hope he leaves on his own volition.

Or you can have a team meeting and accidentally leave "Jason Gilbert: part of the problem" on the chalkboard.
You can choose not to renew them though.  If I'm not mistaken, bball scholarships are renewed yearly if I'm not mistaken.

AND5_RAZORBACK

Quote from: Kilgor on April 13, 2008, 02:57:00 am
I bet you like the movie Pollyanna too.
Always remember when it is your team the coach and player "mutually agreed" that it was in the players best interest to pursue other avenues for his bb career & we always wish them the best.
Now if its a player on another team the coaching staff yanked the scholarship unfairly & all future recruits should be weary of such a coach and commit to us.
                                                                  And5

Kilgor

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 13, 2008, 07:09:10 pm
Kendrick Davis transferred on his own for more playing time.  Preston Cranford was only on athletic scholarship in any year that there was an extra scholarship that was going to be not used for another player. That was clearly documented in the media.

None of the other six players were SEC material and I'm sure were told by coaches that they would be getting sore sitting on the bench and it would probably be in their best interest to transfer if they actually wanted to play. No different from any other school.

Cranford transfered to a NAIA school in Oklahoma when Pelphrey 1) took his scholarship and 2) made it clear that he would see zero time

L.A.

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 13, 2008, 07:09:10 pm
None of the other six players were SEC material and I'm sure were told by coaches that they would be getting sore sitting on the bench and it would probably be in their best interest to transfer if they actually wanted to play. No different from any other school.

I thought Mukubu left on his own when Nolan was fired.  Maybe I'm wrong but he ended up being a terrific player under Mike Anderson.

Kilgor

Quote from: L.A. on April 14, 2008, 09:47:14 am
I thought Mukubu left on his own when Nolan was fired.  Maybe I'm wrong but he ended up being a terrific player under Mike Anderson.

Mukubu played his freshman under Richardson and then played his sophomore year under Heath.  He then transfered to UAB to play under Mike Anderson.

returntoglory

Just curious, would Dumes be a Derrick Rose type player (obviously not as good) but be in the position to take advantage of other smaller guards.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 13, 2008, 08:03:25 am
where's the beef???
Clarence Trent is good size, and athletic.  He would be a good addition to the team for sure.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.