Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is Ron Crawford? Where did he get he develop his credentials?

Started by The Lemming, April 09, 2008, 08:13:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lemming

I just haven't cared for his opinion in the past and I really had no idea what he does or has done in the past. I'm trying to justify my disdain or I need tochange my opinion.

PigInaBlanket

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 04:44:57 pm
I just haven't cared for his opinion in the past and I really had no idea what he does or has done in the past. I'm trying to justify my disdain or I need tochange my opinion.
----
I don't see any need to change your opinion.  Dick Vitale knows alot about basketball and I can't stand him. 

Porquemada

Quote from: PigInaBlanket on April 09, 2008, 04:47:39 pm
----
I don't see any need to change your opinion.  Dick Vitale knows alot about basketball and I can't stand him. 
+1, if we still had karma.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Masshog

Lemming can't see his credentials because he doesn't want to see his credentials.  I suspect that you could take everything that everyone on this thread has done to support youth sport (and I know Ive done a lot) and it wouldn't add up to be 1/100 of what Ron has contributed.   If you don't like him, don't listen to him, but the guy can coach and does tons of good things. 
My feets hurt.

IronMountainHog

When Nolan got canned some knucklehead called DTS and accused Randy, Ron, Rick of being racists on the air. The next 5 calls in a row were from african americans in central Arkansas defending Coach Crawford and letting people know that he does alot for black youth, that is not reported in the papers. They all said he is a excellent coach, mentor and good guy. He truly cares about players regardless of race.He absolutely knows the game of basketball and no one is more knowlegable about history of Arkansas high school basketball than RC.

Sivad

He saw Nolan for what he really was and was not afraid to say it.

Immensehog

Quote from: Gas Can on April 09, 2008, 12:53:06 pm
Did that necessitate a radio spot where Ron seemed a little hot under the collar?  He really accomplished nothing by saying I paid for this ad and my grandkids are going to have to ride the bus because Beebe is closing down their school. (to save the taxpayers money)  The ad was basically a personal attack on Beebe.

Agreed.

I would do whatever necessary to get my kids from a cash strapped, underperforming school district to one that prepares kids for college work.

And for the Buzz to even run the "rant" on air was bizarre.  But money talks.

H

Life is short.  Act accordingly.

The Lemming

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 04:21:57 pm
Can he get fired? Who oversees AAU? Or is he actually the one that oversees it? Someone mentioned he has put a lot of money in to it. Does that mean it is like a business venture for him?
Can anyone answer any of these questions. I'm just curious about what he does. It's just natural curiousity. Nothing else. I have no dog to fight as Masshog thinks I do. I'm just curious what his gig is all about.
Feel free to pm me if you'd rather not post it.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Gas Can on April 09, 2008, 12:18:07 pm
I liked him until he dropped that political ad slamming Mike Beebe.

Quote from: hogsanity on April 09, 2008, 01:01:56 pm
Thats when I stopped not liking him. 

The thread should end after this reply.  Priceless.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 09:02:12 pm
Can anyone answer any of these questions. I'm just curious about what he does. It's just natural curiousity. Nothing else. I have no dog to fight as Masshog thinks I do. I'm just curious what his gig is all about.
Feel free to pm me if you'd rather not post it.

Can't get fired since he doesn't get paid.  It's a volunteer gig just like coaching Little League baseball.  If you followed all the discussion on Rotnei Clark (coming from a small high school) as to whether he was SEC caliber, it was pointed out that he had competed well against major DI recruits in AAU summer ball.  That is the organization Ron C is involved with and is a National Officer in.  It is not a business venture for him.  His teams, made up mostly of AR kids, have won several National Championships at various levels.  He is an extremely successful business owner in an area totally unrelated to sports of any kind.  Google can be your friend if you truly want to find out about AAU.

Wild Bill Hog

Sorry for the double post - computer acting screwy.

blunt_hawg

Quote from: Sivad on April 09, 2008, 07:15:43 pm
He saw Nolan for what he really was and was not afraid to say it.

A hall of fame coach???

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 01:58:54 pm
That's what I want to know. How does he know a bunch about bball and why should anyone listen to him about his opinion on any recruit? That's what I'm after and I really don't see any justification other than he's been coaching ASI for some time and is a good bus man.

You can ask that question about ANYONE in the Arkansas media.

What has Rick Shaefer ever done to be an expert on sports in Arkansas? Randy Rainwater?
Shawn Arnell?

At least RC has experience actually coaching a BB team. That is 10 times more qualification than any of the other "experts" have.

The Lemming

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on April 10, 2008, 07:35:34 am
You can ask that question about ANYONE in the Arkansas media.

What has Rick Shaefer ever done to be an expert on sports in Arkansas? Randy Rainwater?
Shawn Arnell?

At least RC has experience actually coaching a BB team. That is 10 times more qualification than any of the other "experts" have.

Exactly, couldn't agree more. That's why I don't put too much stock into their thoughts. And once again, exactly the reason I'm trying to find out what R. Crawfords credentials are. I've only been in AR for seven years so forgive my ignorance on the topic.

Michaelt

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

MinowBucket

Quote from: The Lemming on April 10, 2008, 08:20:00 am
Exactly, couldn't agree more. That's why I don't put too much stock into their thoughts. And once again, exactly the reason I'm trying to find out what R. Crawfords credentials are. I've only been in AR for seven years so forgive my ignorance on the topic.

Your question has been answered like 30 times on here and you keep asking it again. RC has been the coach of many AAU national championship teams, he has been around, coached, and watched many of the most talented high school players in the country for over thirty years. Those are his credentials. How do you not understand this. That's what makes him qualified to comment on these kids, he coaches them, is around them all the time, and has seen the majority play several times during the year. How hard is that to understand?

The Lemming

What's his record? Just because people can have and have children doesn't mean they're good parents.

RZRBack_FAN

Quote from: The Lemming on April 10, 2008, 11:14:15 am
What's his record? Just because people can have and have children doesn't mean they're good parents.
Just Because everyone has a BRAIn Doesnt mean they use it, that is Obvious with you!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: The Lemming on April 10, 2008, 11:14:15 am

Why don't you man up and tell us what you personally have against Ron Crawford?

The Lemming

I don't like his lisp. Do you have any idea of his record?

Knot2brite

RC is a very nice man who has had some outstanding assistant coaches that "helped" him in the games. I know of two coaches that worked with him during some of his most successful times and they will tell you that RC was a great businessman who took care of the players and made sure that they had what they needed (nothing illegal) but that the assistant coaches did most of the coaching for him. Not a knock on the man but he was/is limited with the coaching part but he is outstanding at organizing and putting the right kids together.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Wild Bill Hog

Hogaliciousness

This is really a "bot" right?  One question after another which is only slightly different...  RC is a good coach, good guy, hog fan, and tells the truth as he sees it. He's not perfect (and so you know, neither am I...)

You can put his coaching record out here, then...well what teams did he play against, then.... who were their coaches and who were the players, then... who called the plays, only to get back to "I don't like his opinion" or "I don't like the way he enunciates"...or "I want him fired"

Suggested Thread Title Change:  Who is The Lemming?  What is his agenda?
I am ready for some football!

want2be

Quote from: Hogaliciousness on April 10, 2008, 12:52:48 pm
This is really a "bot" right?  One question after another which is only slightly different...  RC is a good coach, good guy, hog fan, and tells the truth as he sees it. He's not perfect (and so you know, neither am I...)

You can put his coaching record out here, then...well what teams did he play against, then.... who were their coaches and who were the players, then... who called the plays, only to get back to "I don't like his opinion" or "I don't like the way he enunciates"...or "I want him fired"

Suggested Thread Title Change:  Who is The Lemming?  What is his agenda?

Everyone keeps feeding the shark............Will a MOD please trash this crap ?

bellavistamike

Please move on... I keep hoping to read something new, but this recorder keeps rewinding and playing the same song. I don't know the coach, but from everything said here, he knows his stuff. And when the high school coaches are on DTS, they talk to him like he is more than just a peer and like he is someone they respect. That should be enough information about what he is about for anyone.

The Lemming

Its pretty simple and noones answered with any sort of info that can truly be evaluated. Unless you can put good guy on your resume. I have no agenda other than to try and evaluate my uninformed opinion. Sorry if you take this personal. I was only interested in quantitative type info. If its personal you yourself made it personal. Never did I enter his character attributes.

slopinhogs

well i have a lifetime knowlege about a lot of things also,but no one asks me. i'll settle for rons advice on recruiting. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

davis01

Quote from: hoggeek on April 09, 2008, 11:33:46 am
His son was in AAU ball while at Bryant HS in the early 80's, he was just an AAU dad that coached his son's team and then kept on...and on...and on...
To be 100% accurate, Ron's son Keith actually played for Benton High School.  Ron and his family took in Willie Cutts (from Conway) and he played for Bryant up until he got into some trouble.  Ron Crawford knows basketball, and he knows coaches and players all across the state in most every division.

Dwight_K_Shrute

More importantly Who is Jimmy Lee and what are his qualifications for calling in to DTS?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

bigyellowdog

Quote from: davis01 on April 10, 2008, 02:51:08 pm
To be 100% accurate, Ron's son Keith actually played for Benton High School.  Ron and his family took in Willie Cutts (from Conway) and he played for Bryant up until he got into some trouble.  Ron Crawford knows basketball, and he knows coaches and players all across the state in most every division.

When did Cutts get in trouble at Bryant?  I saw all of his games back in HS.  He got in trouble at the UA, but I can't recall him ever being in trouble at Bryant.  He is the "Leaving Fondest Memories" from the Bryant Class of '82.

bigyellowdog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 10, 2008, 04:18:02 pm
More importantly Who is Jimmy Lee and what are his qualifications for calling in to DTS?

and why do Randy and Rick treat him so special?

dunnhead

Quote from: The Lemming on April 10, 2008, 01:41:52 pm
Its pretty simple and noones answered with any sort of info that can truly be evaluated. Unless you can put good guy on your resume. I have no agenda other than to try and evaluate my uninformed opinion. Sorry if you take this personal. I was only interested in quantitative type info. If its personal you yourself made it personal. Never did I enter his character attributes.

I have no idea what his record is.  Unfortunately ESPN, CBS Sportsline, and Fox Sports don't keep records for AAU basketball, so I don't know where you'd find it aside from calling up someone involved in AAU.  AAU is where all the best high school players in the country go to showcase themselves (Patrick Beverly got overlooked by most major schools because he didn't play AAU ball).  To put together a team from a small state like Arkansas and be nationally competitive is impressive to me.  The guy has won multiple national AAU championships, which, in itself, tells me that he's doing something right.
He isn't a part of anyone's coaching tree, but neither was Nolan Richardson and I'd say he knows basketball pretty well.  Billy Gillispie was a student assistant his last couple years in college, and he's had a pretty successful coaching career thus far.  In other words, you don't have to have "credentials" to know what you're talking about when it comes to sports.  Maybe I have low standards, but winning multiple national championships with Arkansas players and the fact that basketball experts seem to respect his opinion are good enough credentials for me.

If you're looking for something quantitative, like his record, talk to the Arkansas contact on this webpage:  http://www.aauboysbasketball.org/blue/index.asp?a=local.htm

He can probably steer you to someone with the info you're looking for.

7thFinalFour

Quote from: dunnhead on April 11, 2008, 12:03:45 am
He isn't a part of anyone's coaching tree, but neither was Nolan Richardson and I'd say he knows basketball pretty well.

nolan no legacy?  nolan = ron crawford?  bull.

ever heard of don haskins?  you know, a member of the basketball hall of fame and winner of an ncaa title

oh, and they made a movie about him as well.  "glory road"

haskins' lineage? only henry iba, who has 2 titles and 2 olympic golds to his coaching name

nolan came from a coaching tree:  iba --> haskins --> richardson.

i dont' have a dog in the fight, and i had never heard of crawford until he started ranting on dts,

but to say that ron crawford is anywhere remotely close to the same league or pedigree as nolan richardson is absolute bull. 

next you'll compare houston nutt to bill walsh or tom landry.  after that you'll say that stan heath is equal to red auerbach.

nolan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>crawford

VRaptor

Quote from: 7thFinalFour on April 11, 2008, 02:14:02 am

ever heard of don haskins?  you know, a member of the basketball hall of fame and winner of an ncaa title

haskins' lineage? only henry iba, who has 2 titles and 2 olympic golds to his coaching name

i dont' have a dog in the fight, and i had never heard of crawford until he started ranting on dts,

but to say that ron crawford is anywhere remotely close to the same league or pedigree as nolan richardson is absolute bull. 

Uh... He didn't.

dunnhead

next you'll compare houston nutt to bill walsh or tom landry.  after that you'll say that stan heath is equal to red auerbach.

Playing for a coach doesn't make you part of their coaching tree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaching_tree). 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Nolan started out as a head coach at the high school level, then moved on to be a head coach at a JUCO, then HC at Tulsa, and finally HC at Arkansas.  He wasn't an assistant under anyone.

Also, you completely missed my point.  Reread my post and tell me where I said Ron Crawford is in the same league as Nolan.  I didn't, and that would be idiotic for anyone to do so.  My point was that you don't have to have the traditional "creditials" to know something about basketball.

hawkhawg

Quote from: dunnhead on April 11, 2008, 07:54:57 am
Playing for a coach doesn't make you part of their coaching tree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaching_tree). 

Dang,  Talk about a coaching Tree.  How many Super Bowls do you think are represented in that Walsh Tree?

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on April 09, 2008, 12:43:10 pm
All of that was tied in with the rural school consolidation issue.  RC led an effort trying to keep it from happening and Beebe did a 180 on him by giving his support and then changing sides.

I was listening to all the back and forth hullaballoo over that while was home on leave.  Then a strange thing happened one day.  I drove by the now-defunct Humphrey HS and was immediately reminded of how many great teams that school put on the floor over the years.  It literally sickened me to think they were forced to close their doors and consolidate with DeWitt.

I'm with him on the issue, as well as with most of what he says about in-state athletes.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

hogsanity

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 13, 2008, 08:06:08 pm
I was listening to all the back and forth hullaballoo over that while was home on leave.  Then a strange thing happened one day.  I drove by the now-defunct Humphrey HS and was immediately reminded of how many great teams that school put on the floor over the years.  It literally sickened me to think they were forced to close their doors and consolidate with DeWitt.

I'm with him on the issue, as well as with most of what he says about in-state athletes.

Consolidation has not gone far enough, imo.  Did you know that the state of FLa has only 75 scholl districts.  We could at least consolidate th administrative level, that would save a chunk of money right there.

As for Crawford, he may be or has been a good AAu coach, and helped many kids, but AAU, especially the last 10 years or so, has just seemed icky.  Too many stories about coaches with ties to shady people, etc. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ColonelNutt

+1

Nolan > Ron Crawford.  There's no comparison.  Besides, Crawford sounds like a wannabe has-been on DTS and is annoying.

wooly

Quote from: Gas Can on April 09, 2008, 12:53:06 pm
Did that necessitate a radio spot where Ron seemed a little hot under the collar?  He really accomplished nothing by saying I paid for this ad and my grandkids are going to have to ride the bus because Beebe is closing down their school. (to save the taxpayers money)  The ad was basically a personal attack on Beebe.

Maybe he should have flown a banner over the stadium.

VRaptor

Quote from: ColonelNutt on April 14, 2008, 02:58:13 am
+1

Nolan > Ron Crawford.  There's no comparison.  Besides, Crawford sounds like a wannabe has-been on DTS and is annoying.
Why would anyone wannabe a has-been? Just wondering :)

The Lemming

From what I can gether here. Its pretty acc statement. Given he's never even been a hasbeen.

ColonelNutt

Quote from: The Lemming on April 14, 2008, 11:56:59 am
From what I can gether here. Its pretty acc statement. Given he's never even been a hasbeen.

exactly.

neahog

Quote from: Gas Can on April 09, 2008, 12:18:07 pm
I liked him until he dropped that political ad slamming Mike Beebe.

That's when I started liking him. BTW, it was not a "personal attack", it was an ad concerning an issue with which he disagreed with Mike Beebe. Come on. He wasn't calling Gov. Beebe names, he was pointing out a policy preference on which they did not agree. AAU coaches are not allowed to be involved in the political process?
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

The Lemming

Honestly, there are some things that are better done under anonymity. Like say flying banners.

wooly

Quote from: The Lemming on April 15, 2008, 10:58:32 am
Honestly, there are some things that are better done under anonymity. Like say flying banners.

Watch it. My joking post about that disappeared.

ColonelNutt

Quote from: wooly on April 15, 2008, 11:13:09 am
Watch it. My joking post about that disappeared.

My post calling Ron Crawford a "wannabe hasbeen" also disappeared.  Someone quoted it though so you can still read it.