Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is Ron Crawford? Where did he get he develop his credentials?

Started by The Lemming, April 09, 2008, 08:13:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lemming

And what are they? I heard him on the radio yesterday dropping names and talking AAU. Where did he get his experience? How'd he get in to coaching AAU? I can't stand to listen to the guy and actually don't think he can tell his well..... I was just curious if the guy knows the game of basketball or if he's just a name dropper.

want2be

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 08:13:01 am
And what are they? I heard him on the radio yesterday dropping names and talking AAU. Where did he get his experience? How'd he get in to coaching AAU? I can't stand to listen to the guy and actually don't think he can tell his well..... I was just curious if the guy knows the game of basketball or if he's just a name dropper.

Ron has been involved with youth basketball since the 70's and has coached some national champ teams. He is about 60 yrs old and has forgotten more about bball than most know. I don't agree with everything he says, but that is true of most people.

The Lemming

Quote from: want2be on April 09, 2008, 08:18:17 am

Ron has been involved with youth basketball since the 70's and has coached some national champ teams. He is about 60 yrs old and has forgotten more about bball than most know. I don't agree with everything he says, but that is true of most people.
Has he done anything other than coach youth basketball? He just fell into that position or what? What's his experience? What you said is exactly the feeling I get from listening to him. Really no experience other than he's been doing it for so long noone cares if he's qualified at this point. I know nothing of the guy and I'm wanting to determine if he's just puffin hot air when he talks or if he has a clue. What you said leads me to just hot air.

jacksonhawg

Ron Crawford is in the know when it comes to recruiting and also has good relationships with a lot of college coaches who seek his advice in looking at high school kids. I would not say that he is "puffing hot air"

Fillmore Slim

If you want Ron Crawford in a nutshell, he's the same guy who swore up and down that Jaret Hart had more upside than Joe Johnson.  He's been doing it a long time, and that is his only credential. 

HOG RED UMP

First, you have to understand the animal that is AAU summer basketball, and I don't mean that in a condescending manner.  Ron has been associated with the Arkansas Wings AAU organization well before Corliss Williamson played as a 14-15 year old.  He was an assistant coach for the USA Select Junior National team
that featured Jermain ONeal.   Keith Jackson Sr was an Arkansas Wing, an organization formed in 1980.
   Ron loves coaching youth basketball.   He loves coaching in an organization based on Christian principles and concepts.  It may sound like name dropping, but he has been doing it for so long, he has contacts on the national level from East coast to West coast, and all the big name coaches know Ron Crawford by name. 
   Is he the be-all end-all expert?  No, and he will be quick to tell you that.  But he does have a wealth of life time experiences, knowledge, and background that gives his opinions weight, regardless if you share that opinion or not.

FWIW       
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

HOG RED UMP

"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

hawgXi

coach crawford has enough money and time to devote to coaching AAU basketball.

crawford and wally hall joined together to "council" phillip mckeller to get out of NR's street ball program and transfer to A State.

crawford was instrumental in directing former wing, Quincy Lewis to Minnesota. ($$$).

crawford was instrumental in directing several former wings out of state (ol miss, murry state, stanford, etc $$$)

it takes money to run an AAU program.

Tripod1

hawgxi is for the most part correct.  Crawford and Nolan never liked each other so Crawford did steer players to other schools.  Crawford has tons of experience and invested tons of money in summer youth basketball.  Good man in my opinion.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 08:13:01 am

I can't listen when he is on. He may know a lot about basketball, but listening to him drop names is the most annoying thing on radio. I don't know him other than what I hear on the radio and what I can gather is
1) He has been around basketball for a long time
2) He has bumped into lots and lots of important people just by being around it for so long
3) He wants to be really important, but he's not so he throws names around of people he has met to make it sound like he is really important.

75grad

Quote from: Simple Swineman on April 09, 2008, 09:14:09 am
I can't listen when he is on. He may know a lot about basketball, but listening to him drop names is the most annoying thing on radio. I don't know him other than what I hear on the radio and what I can gather is
1) He has been around basketball for a long time
2) He has bumped into lots and lots of important people just by being around it for so long
3) He wants to be really important, but he's not so he throws names around of people he has met to make it sound like he is really important.

You know he's not important by listening to him on the radio?  You're good.
NCAA=Need Cash Attend Auburn

Simple Swineman

Quote from: 75grad on April 09, 2008, 09:27:09 am
You know he's not important by listening to him on the radio?  You're good.

All I know is that he drops the name of anybody he has met in the past 12 months and talks like they are best friends, but I never hear anybody drop his name.

Sao Ming

Why didn't we get this relative unknown to replace Stan Heath when we had the chance?  I wouldn't want him to go to a rival SEC-W school, that is for sure.

;)

hoggeek

His son was in AAU ball while at Bryant HS in the early 80's, he was just an AAU dad that coached his son's team and then kept on...and on...and on...

Wild Bill Hog

Lots of people don't like Ron Crawford because he gives or gave them an honest opinion of their or one of their kids actual true talent level.  RC is known for being completely honest and direct.  He's not a touchy, feely kind of guy.  He has coached numerous AAU National Championship teams and is currently an officer in the National AAU organization.

OTTER

There was a time I couldn't stand him either, however I have learned that in most cases he is very good at assessing talent and through his long association with AAU ball, sees tons of talent from the East to the West and points in between.  There are several college coaches who have no problem with calling Ron up and asking him about players.  Like all the rest, he can make mistakes, but by in large, I have come to respect him and his knowledge.  He also reaches deep into his own pocket to work with these kids and has for years.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

jsimpso3

i agree with everyone saying the guy is annoying, i have been saying that for years. all the name dropping makes me want to barf.

NWAREDBUG

He is a successful businessman who has had the opportunity to get involved with basketball and has been a success with that as well. He puts endless hours and funds into the Arkansas Wings and keeps it running above board and with integerity. I know this because I coach AAU ball as well. He is well respect across the country by his peers and by college coaches, I respect what he does because of the impact he's had on young men and there families.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: NWAREDBUG on April 09, 2008, 11:47:03 am
He is a successful businessman who has had the opportunity to get involved with basketball and has been a success with that as well. He puts endless hours and funds into the Arkansas Wings and keeps it running above board and with integerity. I know this because I coach AAU ball as well. He is well respect across the country by his peers and by college coaches, I respect what he does because of the impact he's had on young men and there families.

Beyond what he has done related to BB and AAU, he has continued to help former players and others when they have had struggles later in life by digging into his own pocket, as well as taking some of them into his own home to live.

So far as helping kids decide where to go to college, his first loyalty is to the kids, not any one program.  He is a Hog fan, but will help a kid decide where his best fit is, and it may not be in F'ville.

Gas Can

I liked him until he dropped that political ad slamming Mike Beebe.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Gas Can on April 09, 2008, 12:18:07 pm

All of that was tied in with the rural school consolidation issue.  RC led an effort trying to keep it from happening and Beebe did a 180 on him by giving his support and then changing sides.

Gas Can

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on April 09, 2008, 12:43:10 pm
All of that was tied in with the rural school consolidation issue.  RC led an effort trying to keep it from happening and Beebe did a 180 on him by giving his support and then changing sides.

Did that necessitate a radio spot where Ron seemed a little hot under the collar?  He really accomplished nothing by saying I paid for this ad and my grandkids are going to have to ride the bus because Beebe is closing down their school. (to save the taxpayers money)  The ad was basically a personal attack on Beebe.

The Lemming

I forgot about all that. So basically it's as I thought.

hoglady

He gets on my nerves sometime, too. But he probably has a personal relationship with most of the names he drops. AAU coaches have a ton of influence with recruits and I would guess a lot of college coaches trust his opinion of players.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsanity

Quote from: Gas Can on April 09, 2008, 12:18:07 pm

Thats when I stopped not liking him. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Gas Can on April 09, 2008, 12:53:06 pm
Did that necessitate a radio spot where Ron seemed a little hot under the collar?  He really accomplished nothing by saying I paid for this ad and my grandkids are going to have to ride the bus because Beebe is closing down their school. (to save the taxpayers money)  The ad was basically a personal attack on Beebe.

Not defending it, just explaining his viewpoint, and yes, RC was hot under the collar and felt he had been lied to.  I didn't share his opinion on the issue, and still don't.  This state needs a lot more school consolidation.  But all that is for the political forum, and not this one.  Bottom line is RC is extremely well respected for his business success as well as his knowledge of, and efforts in AAU BB.

labb

Good, bad or indifferent, this I know about Ron Crawford...He has been responsible for getting more Arkansas kids looked at by colleges, and therefore having a chance to get a college education, than any other that I know of. That, in its self, gives him a lot of stroke...Another, if you don't think that he has the contacts with coaches and programs, just wait and see how successful his Old School AAU tournament in Conway turns out to be. Right now it runs on the same dates as the Real Deal on the Hill..

Hogaliciousness

He's a good guy and family man who knows a bunch about basketball and loves the Hogs.  He is honest and says what is on his mind.  If you like it great.  If you don't - don't listen. It seems that sometimes people try to discredit or attack, when people simply have a different opinion.  If he drops a name (which I don't care for either), he knows them.   
I am ready for some football!

The Lemming

That's what I want to know. How does he know a bunch about bball and why should anyone listen to him about his opinion on any recruit? That's what I'm after and I really don't see any justification other than he's been coaching ASI for some time and is a good bus man.

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 01:58:54 pm
That's what I want to know. How does he know a bunch about bball and why should anyone listen to him about his opinion on any recruit? That's what I'm after and I really don't see any justification other than he's a hasbeen coach

My same rationale for questioning the HOF credentials of Vitale and the journalistic skills and integrity of Wally Hall.

ROSSHAWG

That's like asking how does Tiger Woods know a bunch about golf and why should anyone listen to him about his opinion on the skills of an up and comer.

Ron's been coaching and been around the nations top talent for thirty + years
and been extremely successful doing it.

In case you wish to question my credibility, I played 3 years for him in AAU and was able to enjoy success because he was my coach. Success not only in games but also in life from what he taught me.

Gas Can

Quote from: Hogaliciousness on April 09, 2008, 01:49:30 pm
He's a good guy and family man who knows a bunch about basketball and loves the Hogs.  He is honest and says what is on his mind.  If you like it great.  If you don't - don't listen. It seems that sometimes people try to discredit or attack, when people simply have a different opinion.  If he drops a name (which I don't care for either), he knows them.   

I don't for two reasons.

1) He's on DTS instead of Sportsrap.

2) The ad.

jdlew

He will miss on a player or coach now and then.....and he hacked me off during thr NR era a few times......but he knows his BB and if you know BB or took the time to listen..... you already knew that......worst thing I can say about him is he likes Wally(the worm)Hall

The Lemming

Quote from: ROSSHAWG on April 09, 2008, 02:36:08 pm
That's like asking how does Tiger Woods know a bunch about golf and why should anyone listen to him about his opinion on the skills of an up and comer.

Ron's been coaching and been around the nations top talent for thirty + years
and been extremely successful doing it.

In case you wish to question my credibility, I played 3 years for him in AAU and was able to enjoy success because he was my coach. Success not only in games but also in life from what he taught me.
Well actually it's not the same. If you'll recognise I'm here asking for his credentials so I can determine his credibility. I know nothing of him other than he drops name bombs and continues on about AAU. So you seem pretty familiar with him; give me what makes him an authority on basketball and kids and such. What's he done in those thirty years? What's his role continued to be? And why has it continued to be that and not progressive in nature? That's what this threads for.

Not just; HE KNOW BASKETBALL.

The Lemming

Quote from: ROSSHAWG on April 09, 2008, 02:36:08 pm

BTW, did you drag that directly out 'ye ole' cliche book?

jdlew

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 03:14:33 pm
Well actually it's not the same. If you'll recognise I'm here asking for his credentials so I can determine his credibility. I know nothing of him other than he drops name bombs and continues on about AAU. So you seem pretty familiar with him; give me what makes him an authority on basketball and kids and such. What's he done in those thirty years? What's his role continued to be? And why has it continued to be that and not progressive in nature? That's what this threads for.

I'm pretty sure he has won several national championships

The Lemming

Quote from: jdlew on April 09, 2008, 03:21:36 pm

I'm pretty sure he has won several national championships
I'm honestly clueless when it comes to AAU. What exactly does that mean?

Swino

Ron got pissy about the whole "dark side of AAU" comment made by the NCAA guy.  He didn't seem to grasp that the comment was directed at the coaches and the influence they have over their kids.  Hell, they are basically agents now.

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 03:14:33 pm
what makes him an authority-30 years experience gives/belies authoratative credence
what's his role continue be ?-active in the AAU agendas on both the state and national level
why no progression?-by personal choice, a preference to stay actively involved on the state and local level.   He has no false aspirations except to help young people.   His biggest blunder perhaps
is to be involved with the DTS format and your perception of the DTS scope of competence.
His yokelistic environment and homeyness may cloak the strengths of his background experience.
And as far as his knowledge about potential recruits, it will be his opinions based on both he has heard and seen, same as anyone elses.  I sure he misses on some, like they all do.   I don't think
he is as self-possessing as you are inclined to believe.   He simply tries to answer those on-air questions as honestly as he can.  FWIW 

OTTER

I'm lost, and really do not understand what you mean by "credentials".  What he has is 30+ years of coaching history that includes national championships, respect from his peers in AAU basketball and respect from some well known college coaches.  Does he have a PHD in basketball? No.  He has become respected the old fashoned way, he earned it.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

jdlew

Quote from: Swino on April 09, 2008, 03:24:22 pm
Ron got pissy about the whole "dark side of AAU" comment made by the NCAA guy.  He didn't seem to grasp that the comment was directed at the coaches and the influence they have over their kids.  Hell, they are basically agent

several AAU coaches have their HAND OUT......but he is not one of them

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 03:24:08 pm
Amateur Athletic Union.
He won 3 straight years age-division national championships with virtually all Arkansas players.
AAU is like club volleyball, American Legion baseball, age-division national and world soccer
tournaments, etc.   
Both boys and girls have age-division national championship competitions ranging from 11 and under, to 17 or 18 and under.

sharks89

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 03:24:08 pm

His teams went to the National AAU tournaments (which are quite large) and did very well against some of the best competition in the nation.  AAU is a showcase for almost all of the best basketball players in the country.

Go Hogs!

The Lemming

To OTTER
Something measurable. Unlike all the things you mentioned. I wanted to evaluate him as a coach and evaluator of talent. What you mention is not measurable so therefore I can't do that.

BCShogs

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 04:04:32 pm
To OTTER
Something measurable. Unlike all the things you mentioned. I wanted to evaluate him as a coach and evaluator of talent. What you mention is not measurable so therefore I can't do that.

You have been given plenty of measurables. For example, he has over 30 years experience coaching AAU ball. Read more and post less.

The Lemming

Can he get fired? Who oversees AAU? Or is he actually the one that oversees it? Someone mentioned he has put a lot of money in to it. Does that mean it is like a business venture for him?

Porquemada

I know one thing for sure - Ron Crawford knows a helluva lot more about basketball than Chuck Barrett knows about football. IMO Crawford is the face of Arkansas AAU basketball.

hawgslop00

He doesn't even get most of the names right when he drops them.  I can't listen to it.  When he's on air it seems like RC, Rick, and Randy are all talking about different things or Rick will make a comment, RC will mispronounce some names and then Randy will change the subject or take a call from someone who just heard about the Mallet situation.

PigInaBlanket

Lemming:

I don't know what you are looking for as far as credentials.  It is in my opinion much the same as someone like a successful high school coach.  He got involved with AAU, has had tremendous success, and have helped the kids he coached move on.  I once worked with Dion Cross who played for Coach Crawford, Arkansas didn't give him a look, and he ended up being All Pac-10 at Stanford.  I don't know the guy, just know he has had success with AAU basketball, which in my estimation, would be like having a travelling All-Star team.  Why don't you call up John Brady and ask him how much Coach Crawford knows, since he contacted Coach Crawford prior to coming to Ark State.

pohaku

Quote from: hawgslop00 on April 09, 2008, 04:30:45 pm
He doesn't even get most of the names right when he drops them.  I can't listen to it.  When he's on air it seems like RC, Rick, and Randy are all talking about different things or Rick will make a comment, RC will mispronounce some names and then Randy will change the subject or take a call from someone who just heard about the Mallet situation.

I cant stand how he says Michael Warshington,Isnt it Washington?