Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kansas Fans

Started by hogfan_no1, April 08, 2008, 06:26:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PigglyWiggly

Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2008, 08:16:02 pm
KSU for real??  KSU is considered one of the ugliest campuses in the Big 12 along with Tech, Iowa Stat and Okie St. 

Now that I think more abou it I didn't get to see a lot of the campus on a quick tour through...but the buildings I was interested in (the VM building and that side of campus) were way better than expected.  I guess I was probably expecting something on the order of NWACC

BigDeal

Quote from: Killean on April 08, 2008, 07:39:08 am
Ironically I've been to all the aforementioned Campuses.. I think I prefer the UA campus lol.

I've been to all those campuses too. There are all beautiful .  However, with the Grove and all, Oxford has the most beautiful campus of all , IMO .

Keyser Sooieze

Someone should change the subject title of this one.  Texas State is an unexpected beauty.  The Comel river runs right through campus and makes for a nice hangout. 

I agree, UVA is the paragon of what a campus sould look like.

mizzouman

Quote from: BigDeal on April 08, 2008, 08:34:16 pm
I've been to all those campuses too. There are all beautiful .  However, with the Grove and all, Oxford has the most beautiful campus of all , IMO .

I toured the Ole Miss campus this year when Mizzou played there.  I thought the campus was ok and nothing special.  But the Grove on gameday was just crazy.  A great place to be and they have some great talent there as well.

razorrog1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 08, 2008, 09:28:47 am
It's coincidental...not  ironic.
Not according to Alanis Morissette.

ekyle1

Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2008, 08:23:45 am
I've been to a lot of campuses around the country and there's not way to pick the best because each campus has it's own identity.  For the ones I've been to, the most beautiful campus is Stanford, the best surroundings is Colorado.  I have been to both Fayetteville and Lawrence and I would have to give the edge to KU but both fail in comparison to Mizzou  :-)

Seriously, Mizzou has a very nice campus but not the best I've been to. 
Been to MU campus..... I don't find it any more impressive than Fayetteville...

DukeOfPork

Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2008, 09:03:32 am

Lew Perkins, KU AD, is unethical and I won't even go into how they got the Orange Bowl bid. 

Count me in as someone who thinks Mizzou got shafted when KU was named to the Orange Bowl.

But give Mangino and KU credit: they traveled down there and won the darned thing.  That shut me up.

DukeOfPork

Everyone please make note that the guy who made the above statement is also the #1 Nutt supporter in the history of Nutt Love.

Nashville Fan

Boulder is my favorite from your list cause I am a rock rat. The Knoxville navy is pretty cool. But, Fayetteville has my heart.
Pittman or Bust!

cosmodrum

It's getting old, BigDillHole.
Go away, batin'

DenverHogFan

I grew up in Fayetteville and have a degree from Boulder - Boulder IS beautiful, but I think I'd still give Fayetteville a slim edge.  Kansas is absolutely nothing special - my mom went there so we've been there a lot.  I mean, we always have the time of our lives when were there, but we go for the comraderie, not the scenery.  Air Force is pretty nice.  And I HEAR that West Point in the fall is absolutely gorgeous - but I couldn't give you an objective opinion since it was a little traumatic being there for school    :)

arkansasmaniac

Well since this turned into a "Who has the most beautiful campus?", I'll chime in.

I love U of A's campus.  UCA's campus is beautiful in the Fall.
This summer, went to Boston and played frisbee at Harvard and got kicked off their beautiful green grass.  It was very, very nice though.

bugo

April 09, 2008, 05:41:30 pm #62 Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:43:18 pm by bugo
Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on April 08, 2008, 09:12:17 am
if you have ever been to lawrence, you know why kansas fans are so obsessed with the team...they have nothing else to live for.  talk about boring.
Are you serious?  I've never not had lots (read: borderline too much) fun in Larryland.  There's always something fun to do.  Lawrence is one of my favorite towns in the country.

bugo

Quote from: josh_sec33 on April 08, 2008, 12:05:40 pm
Arkansas is very much the best campus in the state of arkansas. KU's campus my one thought is how spread out everything was. I had some friends and we drove around the campus at 11 pm and we drove a good 5-10 minutes to get to one side to the other of campus. Bama and Auburn didn't do anything for me, Ole Miss was only impressive in that every frickin frat house looked like a plantation house, and Delaware is a dump. I mean. a numbered State highway running RIGHT THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE CAMPUS? sheesh.

Well, we do have a numbered state highway (112) running UNDERNEATH our stadium.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  Do any other major stadiums have state highways that run underneath part of the bleachers?

bugo

I haven't experienced the arrogance of KU fans that many of you have.  I lived in KC for 2 years and one of my best friends is a KU alum and a huge KU fan, and I have several other friends who are KU fans.  None of them are arrogant or annoying in any way that you have described.  This is a small sample, however.

I was in Lawrence at my friend's house on the day of the 7OT Ole Miss game.  We were all watching the game, and at first everyone (except for me of course) was just watching the game, not really rooting for anybody.  By about the second overtime, the whole room (all huge KU fans) were screaming for the Hogs to win.  Yes, a room full of Kansas fans were Razorback fans on that night.  Razorback fandom is truly infectious.

LRMedHawg

I went to KU campus with some friends and we all left very unimpressed.  Everything was just plain looking to me, nothing special.  The weirdest campus I went to was UNLV (stumbled thru it looking for a grocery store).  It had buildings with every single color on it and nothing seemed to match.  The grove at Ole Miss was awesome but I have to vote for Air Force Academy as most beutiful.  My brother went there so I visited several times.  It has the mountains as a backdrop and perfectly kept landscape.  It also has all kinds of planes and statues of generals everywhere and an amazing cathedral. 

Sao Ming

Univ. of Wisconsin is fairly unique and pretty.  The architecture etc isn't overly impressive, but the Lake Mendota frontage of basically the entire campus is very very nice.  For those who have seen it, you know what I mean.  Just a unique and useful setting.  Spring there is awesome.  Everyone out on the lake front biking and walking etc. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: bugo on April 09, 2008, 05:41:30 pm
Are you serious?  I've never not had lots (read: borderline too much) fun in Larryland.  There's always something fun to do.  Lawrence is one of my favorite towns in the country.

The guy knows nothing about Lawrence.

Lawrence always has had more entertainment than Fayetteville.  Mass Street always seemed like a miniature Austin when I used to go there in the 90's.

lyon98

Quote from: fearless_leader on April 08, 2008, 07:48:34 am
The real problem with Kansas fans is that like 80% of their students come from the Kansas City area and once finished with school, that's where they all go live.  It's a perspective thing.

Sounds more like an "incestuous" thing than a perspective thing.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

lyon98

Duke, UNC and W-F all should be considered. Furman is close behind them. Generally, private schools will rank higher as money is the main influence on building design and as it's availability flucuates and architectial design does.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

mizzouman

Quote from: PorkPariah on April 09, 2008, 12:56:45 pm
Count me in as someone who thinks Mizzou got shafted when KU was named to the Orange Bowl.

But give Mangino and KU credit: they traveled down there and won the darned thing.  That shut me up.

They did win, I'll give them that, but we could have handle Va Tech with ease.  Anyway, KU's AD is very underhanded in a lot of ways.

DukeOfPork

April 09, 2008, 09:41:15 pm #71 Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 09:46:05 pm by PorkPariah
Quote from: mizzouman on April 09, 2008, 08:33:01 pm
They did win, I'll give them that, but we could have handle Va Tech with ease.  Anyway, KU's AD is very underhanded in a lot of ways.

What cracks me up is KU football fans and MU football fans who are suddenly too big for their britches.

It really didn't take all that long for you to go from getting embarrassed on national TV by Troy to confidently announcing that you would "handle Va Tech with ease".  Please note that your routing of Reggie Herring's sorry team really doesn't translate to success against anyone else.

As for KU's AD, I don't disagree necessarily.  But Mizzou athletics hasn't exactly been free from scandal.

go hogues

No campus can touch:
UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, Pepperdine and Harvard
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

mizzouman

Quote from: PorkPariah on April 09, 2008, 09:41:15 pm
What cracks me up is KU football fans and MU football fans who are suddenly too big for their britches.

It really didn't take all that long for you to go from getting embarrassed on national TV by Troy to confidently announcing that you would "handle Va Tech with ease".  Please note that your routing of Reggie Herring's sorry team really doesn't translate to success against anyone else.

As for KU's AD, I don't disagree necessarily.  But Mizzou athletics hasn't exactly been free from scandal.

Yeah, we've had our share of issues as does just about everything program including Arkansas.  I don't know how you got the idea of Mizzou being to big for our britches, but that's okay. 

KU's AD has been very underhanded and it has nothing to do with their BCS bid over us.  Here's an example.  The Big 12 clearly states in it's bylaws that NO AD is allowed to call bowl representatives and sell their program.  Lew Perkins was on local radio telling callers that he was up all night calling representatives of the Orange Bowl telling them why KU deserves that bid.  Not only that, he promised to sell a certain number of tickets in case KU fans did not buy enough.  Both of these actions are in clear violation of the rules.  Also, KU is on probation.  When Roy Williams was there, he used give graduation gifts to out going seniors, and we're not talking about a $50 gift certificate.  We're talking gifts in excess of $500.

Also, they are currently on probation because they were not in compliant with a lot of the NCAA rules.  KU's NCAA compliance office consists of just one person.  KU's AD's response was that, "Compiance does not sell tickets."  That's a direct quote.

So, you can understand my anger at KU not only because of this, but because of our hated rivalry with that school.  It has nothing to do with our recent success in football, but has everything to do with the rivalry.

By the way, Indiana has a great campus as well.

mizzouman

Quote from: go hogues on April 10, 2008, 12:01:43 am
No campus can touch:
UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, Pepperdine and Harvard

Yes, a lot of west coast campuses are great including UW

Here's some of Mizzou if you are interested.  If not, don't look.

http://becking.zenfolio.com/p394178602/?slideshow=1

DukeOfPork

Quote from: mizzouman on April 10, 2008, 07:59:23 am
Yeah, we've had our share of issues as does just about everything program including Arkansas.  I don't know how you got the idea of Mizzou being to big for our britches, but that's okay. 

KU's AD has been very underhanded and it has nothing to do with their BCS bid over us.  Here's an example.  The Big 12 clearly states in it's bylaws that NO AD is allowed to call bowl representatives and sell their program.  Lew Perkins was on local radio telling callers that he was up all night calling representatives of the Orange Bowl telling them why KU deserves that bid.  Not only that, he promised to sell a certain number of tickets in case KU fans did not buy enough.  Both of these actions are in clear violation of the rules.  Also, KU is on probation.  When Roy Williams was there, he used give graduation gifts to out going seniors, and we're not talking about a $50 gift certificate.  We're talking gifts in excess of $500.

Also, they are currently on probation because they were not in compliant with a lot of the NCAA rules.  KU's NCAA compliance office consists of just one person.  KU's AD's response was that, "Compiance does not sell tickets."  That's a direct quote.

So, you can understand my anger at KU not only because of this, but because of our hated rivalry with that school.  It has nothing to do with our recent success in football, but has everything to do with the rivalry.

By the way, Indiana has a great campus as well.

Why don't you go ahead and link us up on all of those accusations...

Biggus Piggus

After visiting KU, my wife told me we'd never let our children go to school there.  It's shabby.  But to get a good taste of Phog Allen you have to go to a game.  It's living history.
[CENSORED]!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 10, 2008, 09:18:01 pm
After visiting KU, my wife told me we'd never let our children go to school there.  It's shabby.  But to get a good taste of Phog Allen you have to go to a game.  It's living history.

Shabby?

I'm no KU fan, but it is a damn good public university.

mizzouman

Quote from: PorkPariah on April 10, 2008, 09:15:12 pm
Why don't you go ahead and link us up on all of those accusations...

This is about KU putting themselves on 2 year of probation.  In fact, the are currently on probation.  This is mainly about the previous AD, Bohl who is also a scum bag.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2006-10-12-kansas_x.htm

DukeOfPork

Quote from: mizzouman on April 11, 2008, 09:52:10 am
This is about KU putting themselves on 2 year of probation.  In fact, the are currently on probation.  This is mainly about the previous AD, Bohl who is also a scum bag.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2006-10-12-kansas_x.htm

Thanks for the link.  I have got to say, that is pretty damning.  Looks like the NCAA has failed again.

It's a travesty that a school can break the rules and be rewarded with a BCS Bowl and and a national chamionship.

mizzouman

Quote from: PorkPariah on April 11, 2008, 01:18:41 pm
Thanks for the link.  I have got to say, that is pretty damning.  Looks like the NCAA has failed again.

It's a travesty that a school can break the rules and be rewarded with a BCS Bowl and and a national chamionship.

And, that article ain't the half of it.

drivetimeporks

give kansas fan a break, jesus, can u imagine having to live in that lil piece of treeless hell called upper oklahoma?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: drivetimeporks on April 11, 2008, 09:42:21 pm
give kansas fan a break, jesus, can u imagine having to live in that lil piece of treeless hell called upper oklahoma?

You've apparently never been to Lawrence.  It's a fun town and it's 30 minutes from a city that's about 10 times the size of Little Rock.

fearless_leader

Lawrence would be a heckuva place to live.  Wish I could move back there and do a PhD if the right professor were there.

Biggus, how's the 'Q out there in the OP these days?   

31to6

Quote from: PorkPariah on April 12, 2008, 01:10:55 pm
You've apparently never been to Lawrence.  It's a fun town and it's 30 minutes from a city that's about 10 times the size of Little Rock.
Lawrence and Fayetteville are similar in many ways except Lawrence has more hippies and Fayetteville has better restaurants.

People who like Fayetteville would like Lawrence. Both are in my top 10 places to live.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: wdremington on April 12, 2008, 07:19:00 pm
Lawrence and Fayetteville are similar in many ways except Lawrence has more hippies and Fayetteville has better restaurants.

People who like Fayetteville would like Lawrence. Both are in my top 10 places to live.

Agreed.  I would love to live in either city.

Lawrence definitely has that counter-culture thing going on.  When my sisters were at KU, they lived just a few blocks from William Burroughs.

RedSatinHog

I've never physically been on either campus, but based upon pictures I've seen of Lawrence (KU) and Manhattan (KSU), I'd much rather go to KSU.

Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

DukeOfPork

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 13, 2008, 08:50:25 pm
I've never physically been on either campus, but based upon pictures I've seen of Lawrence (KU) and Manhattan (KSU), I'd much rather go to KSU.

Oh God, no.

I will say that the hills coming into Manhattan from the south are the most beautiful part of Kansas I've ever seen.  But Manhattan is the most isolated college town I have been to.  Not close to civilization AT ALL.  My first impression of it was that it reminded me of Springdale due to the agricultural equipment front and center when you come into town.

If you dig that whole conservative, plain-jane, "small town Kansas" feel, then KSU is the place for you.

I do find myself rooting for KSU against KU in basketball though due to the KU fan arrogance!

hogfan_no1

Quote from: PorkPariah on April 13, 2008, 10:25:04 pm
I do find myself rooting for KSU against KU in basketball though due to the KU fan arrogance!

EXACTLY what I had in mind when I started this thread!  (Although it got diverted to an interesting read about the country's most beautiful campuses.)  KU fans think they have the best of everything, and they're so close-minded that they won't listen to anyone else.  I also find myself rooting for their opponents (except Texas) for that reason.  Not all fans are that way, but 80-plus percent are.  WAY more than their fair share.

KU will lose all 5 of their starters, and will be next year's Florida.  (After winning back-to-back NC's, Florida went to the NIT).  Not sure why Bill Self turned down the long green at his alma mater to stay at KU.  Also, thier football team was flash-in-the-pan.  They have a MUCH tougher schedule this year, and will lose 4-5 games.
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: PorkPariah on April 13, 2008, 10:25:04 pm
Oh God, no.

I will say that the hills coming into Manhattan from the south are the most beautiful part of Kansas I've ever seen.  But Manhattan is the most isolated college town I have been to.  Not close to civilization AT ALL.  My first impression of it was that it reminded me of Springdale due to the agricultural equipment front and center when you come into town.

If you dig that whole conservative, plain-jane, "small town Kansas" feel, then KSU is the place for you.

That is part of why I'd go to Manhattan.  Aside from it being a nicer campus, I like the fact that it doesn't have a big city feel to it.  Many folks don't even realize that there is a town in Kansas named Manhattan until they find out it's where KSU is.

Plus, they've had some really cute girls on their basketball teams the last few years.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: fearless_leader on April 12, 2008, 05:04:29 pm
Lawrence would be a heckuva place to live.  Wish I could move back there and do a PhD if the right professor were there.

Biggus, how's the 'Q out there in the OP these days?  

Last I had was Jack Stack, awesome.

I'm living in San Francisco now, though.
[CENSORED]!

mizzouman

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 13, 2008, 08:50:25 pm

You must have seen some seriously photoshopped pictures of KSU. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: mizzouman on April 14, 2008, 01:09:34 pm

From what I recall, it's just a bunch of limestone buildings.  But it has continuity, I suppose...

hogfan_no1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 14, 2008, 12:17:22 pm
Last I had was Jack Stack, awesome.

I'm living in San Francisco now, though.

Went to Jack Stack's about a month ago.  I don't think it gets any better than that!  Their burnt ends are the best!

Went to Rosedale's Saturday night.  Good stuff.  Also like the ribs at Quick's - YUM!  Gates isn't bad, either.  Been here 20 hears, and still haven't learned to like Authur Bryant's.  I guess that's an acquired taste I haven't acquired.

The folks here in KC know a thing or 2 about Bar-B-Que.  Also got some good steak houses:  Hereford House and Jess and Jim's to name a couple.
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

lyon98

Quote from: hogfan_no1 on April 14, 2008, 05:33:18 pm
Been here 20 hears, and still haven't learned to like Authur Bryant's. 

I went once and won't go back.
What Is A Veteran?

bugo

Went to Jack Stack's about a month ago.  I don't think it gets any better than that!  Their burnt ends are the best!

Went to Rosedale's Saturday night.  Good stuff.  Also like the ribs at Quick's - YUM!  Gates isn't bad, either.  Been here 20 hears, and still haven't learned to like Authur Bryant's.  I guess that's an acquired taste I haven't acquired.

The folks here in KC know a thing or 2 about Bar-B-Que.  Also got some good steak houses:  Hereford House and Jess and Jim's to name a couple.

LC's is really good.  The original location is on Blue Parkway between 71 and 435, by the big arch bridge.  It's a little sweeter than I usually like, but it's as good as any BBQ in KC, which is saying a lot. 

RedSatinHog

Quote from: mizzouman on April 14, 2008, 01:09:34 pm

Hey, I didn't say it was the most scenic campus in the country, just that I'd rather go to school there over Lawrence.

Prolly the most beautiful campus I've visited in the country so far would be Notre Dame.  Walking around the stadium, seeing all the bronzed statues, then looking up to see "Touchdown Jesus" is a sight like no other.

RedSatinHog

April 16, 2008, 09:47:37 pm #97 Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:53:08 pm by AKHogsHoopsFan
Sorry about the duplicate post.

GrantWalker

My uncle says it's Pepperdine.  He went there. 

I've been all over, and the best I've seen is U. of Indiana and the Air Force Academy.

GrantWalker

I've always been perplexed at the KC folks claiming to be the bbq capital of whatever.  It reminds me of the folks in Cincinnatti claiming they have the greatest chili.  I always thought the barbeque capital would be somewhere in the south, or at least Texas, which I consider to be in the southwest.