Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kansas Fans

Started by hogfan_no1, April 08, 2008, 06:26:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan_no1

I grew up in southern Arkansas, and graduated the U of A in the early '80s (during the Holtz/Sutton era).  Been living here in Kansas City for just over 20 years.  When I moved here, the only thing I knew about the (at the time) Big 8 conference was that OU and Nebraska played every year for the right to go to the Orange Bowl.  At first, I was excited to learn that Lawrence is only 30 minutes from here, and I was ready to learn to become a "homer".  That is, until I met some of these arrogant, cocky, overbearing, obnoxius, pompous, God's-gift-to-college-basketball KU fans.  (While coaching here, Roy Williams once called them the "wine-and-cheese crowd".)  I realize all colleges have their share of these types of fans, but KU has WAY more than their fair share.  They have no conference allegience and ALWAYS (no matter the circumstances) root against Mizzou and K-State.

I had been living here in KC less than a month when a KU alum assured me that the campus in Lawrence was, by far, the most beautiful campus in the country.  Having never been there, I took him at his word, and decided to tour it for myself one Saturday afternoon,  (You guessed it - I had nothing better to do).  It is just an ordinary campus - nothing spectacular - that's built on one big hill.  Went in to Phog Allen Field House, and thought it was a dump!  It was built in the 40's, needs a make-over in the worst way, and smelled like gym socks.  I was toally unimpressed!  Upon my return to KC, I asked this alum...
"Have you ever been to Fayetteville, AR"?
"No."
"Have you ever been to Knoxville, TN"?
"No."
"Have you ever been to Boulder, CO"?
"No."
"Then for God's sake, please stop making comments like 'KU is the most beautiful campus in the country'.  It only makes you look foolish and shows your ignorance".
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Killean

Ironically I've been to all the aforementioned Campuses.. I think I prefer the UA campus lol.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

fearless_leader

having degrees from both Arkansas and KU, I agree with the assessment of a bunch of pompous, obnoxious fans. 

To be fair, they did once employ the founder of the game as a head coach. 

Phog Allen fieldhouse is all the things you said it is:  old, smelly, dated.  It's also beautiful.  No luxury boxes, just 16000 seats. 

The real problem with Kansas fans is that like 80% of their students come from the Kansas City area and once finished with school, that's where they all go live.  It's a perspective thing.

But since I have a degree from there, I'm happy today.  Besides, it's not like they were playing somebody we all really like, is it?

mizzouman

I've been to a lot of campuses around the country and there's not way to pick the best because each campus has it's own identity.  For the ones I've been to, the most beautiful campus is Stanford, the best surroundings is Colorado.  I have been to both Fayetteville and Lawrence and I would have to give the edge to KU but both fail in comparison to Mizzou  :-)

Seriously, Mizzou has a very nice campus but not the best I've been to. 

hogfan064

Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2008, 08:23:45 am
I've been to a lot of campuses around the country and there's not way to pick the best because each campus has it's own identity.  For the ones I've been to, the most beautiful campus is Stanford, the best surroundings is Colorado.  I have been to both Fayetteville and Lawrence and I would have to give the edge to KU but both fail in comparison to Mizzou  :-)

I've been to many different campuses as well.  IMO Virginia has the nicest I've been to and ULM has the worst.

Geohul

Starkville is Gorgeous this time of year.  ;)

DukeOfPork

I grew up in Kansas and very nearly attended KU.  Both of my sisters graduated from KU.  A few clarifications:

KU is, in fact, a pretty campus.

KU basketball fans are, in fact, arrogant beyond belief.

Allen Fieldhouse is extremely old and dated, but that is precisely what makes it unique.  You walk in there and it is 1940 all over again.

KU fans WILL PAY DEARLY for this championship.  They have an AD that is fully prepared to squeeze every cent he can out of them.  He was probably in the office at 7am this morning, restructuring the donation and seat license requirements.

sooie dog

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 08, 2008, 08:36:51 am
I've been to many different campuses as well.  IMO Virginia has the nicest I've been to and ULM has the worst.
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 08, 2008, 08:36:51 am

You don't like Bayou De Siard?

George S. Pigton

Well, would have to agree about KU fans in general, though I do think Bill Self is a good
person and I'm happy for him.  Saying that, there is nothing good I could have said about
Memphis or their coach if they had won.

As for the great campus debate, of the the three - KU,MO,& AR I would give the edge to AR
on its location only.  The Hills give it the edge in my book, otherwise nothing remarkable about
the three compared to older schools east of here and Stanford out west.  USC is nice as well. 
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

hogfan064

Does the Rock Chalk Jayhawk chant scare anyone?  That's some weird stuff.

mizzouman

Quote from: PorkPariah on April 08, 2008, 08:55:10 am
I grew up in Kansas and very nearly attended KU.  Both of my sisters graduated from KU.  A few clarifications:

KU is, in fact, a pretty campus.

KU basketball fans are, in fact, arrogant beyond belief.

Allen Fieldhouse is extremely old and dated, but that is precisely what makes it unique.  You walk in there and it is 1940 all over again.

KU fans WILL PAY DEARLY for this championship.  They have an AD that is fully prepared to squeeze every cent he can out of them.  He was probably in the office at 7am this morning, restructuring the donation and seat license requirements.

Lew Perkins, KU AD, is unethical and I won't even go into how they got the Orange Bowl bid.  In fact, the last couple of AD's at KU were unethical.  They got slammed by the NCAA for both football and basketball violations a couple of years ago and this is a direct quote from the AD.  "Compliance doesn't sell tickets."

hogfan064

Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2008, 09:03:32 am
Lew Perkins, KU AD, is unethical and I won't even go into how they got the Orange Bowl bid.  In fact, the last couple of AD's at KU were unethical.  They got slammed by the NCAA for both football and basketball violations a couple of years ago and this is a direct quote from the AD.  "Compliance doesn't sell tickets."

I figured the reason KU made it to the Orange Bowl was b/c Mangino threatened to eat the Orange Bowl officials while they were sleeping.

Corkscrew Johnson

if you have ever been to lawrence, you know why kansas fans are so obsessed with the team...they have nothing else to live for.  talk about boring.

but don't take it from me...take it from former Kansas Jayhawk Drew Gooden when drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies, on national television:
reporter: "what are your thoughts on moving to Memphis?"
gooden:  "anything is better than Lawrence"

he had to call roy williams and apologize afterwards.

verticalhog

Most beautiful campus in the U.S. - Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.  I love the campus in Fayetteville and having my name on the sidewalks twice but there are other beautiful campuses, especially those in the mountains such as Virginia Tech, Western Carolina, etc.  It's just fun when you get a chance to tour a beautiful college campus.

Keyser Sooieze

Quote from: George S. Pigton on April 08, 2008, 08:59:40 am
Well, would have to agree about KU fans in general, though I do think Bill Self is a good
person and I'm happy for him.  Saying that, there is nothing good I could have said about
Memphis or their coach if they had won.

As for the great campus debate, of the the three - KU,MO,& AR I would give the edge to AR
on its location only.  The Hills give it the edge in my book, otherwise nothing remarkable about
the three compared to older schools east of here and Stanford out west.  USC is nice as well. 
USC--are you referring to Southern Cal or Southern Carolina?  I'd say the South Carolina campus is prettier than USC. IMO, Southern Cal is trashy and run down and in a horrible part of the city.  If you want beauty on a campus in Southern California go to UCLA or UCSB or UCSD.  USC is a great school with a gross campus. 

cosmodrum

It's easy to become arrogant when your team is in the top 10 every year, and said team plays on James Naismith Court.

That being said, this is the first NC in 20 years, so that's many years of being in the top 5-10 WITHOUT winning a title.

Either way, KU is one of the most consistently good bball programs in the nation. They are good EVERY year.
Go away, batin'

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Killean on April 08, 2008, 07:39:08 am
Ironically I've been to all the aforementioned Campuses.. I think I prefer the UA campus lol.
It's coincidental...not  ironic.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Keyser Sooieze

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 08, 2008, 09:02:46 am
Sounds like a monastery or something

cityhog

Quote from: verticalhog on April 08, 2008, 09:22:32 am
Most beautiful campus in the U.S. - Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.  I love the campus in Fayetteville and having my name on the sidewalks twice but there are other beautiful campuses, especially those in the mountains such as Virginia Tech, Western Carolina, etc.  It's just fun when you get a chance to tour a beautiful college campus.

Agreed.  Colorado is a close second.

cosmodrum

For sure on Pepperdine. How could you go wrong Malibu?
Go away, batin'

big boes

don't confuse the setting with the campus. the best two campuses are georgetown and columbia. the best sec campus is alabama.

RazorBassin

Georgetown is a good one to see.  I look forward to making visits to many college campuses through the next few years!

Hogginitall

Georgetown is cool.  I like Duke, also.  Their campus (including the buildings) is very pretty.

Jimmy

Wow!  Mizzou must have really done a number on its campus.  Not been there but I've driven between KC and St. Louis several times, and it's plain vanilla midwest. 

theknighton

Should check out Texas State University in San Marcos.... Now thats one campus that is easy on the eyes.

razorshark

Quote from: Jimmy on April 08, 2008, 11:13:57 am
Wow!  Mizzou must have really done a number on its campus.  Not been there but I've driven between KC and St. Louis several times, and it's plain vanilla midwest. 

I was up there last year and the smokestack was impressive!

I love the smell of napalm in the morning
http://rs218.pbsrc.com/albums/cc30/razorshark50/Napalm.jpg~c100

phead903

I think the comment about conference allegience is telling.  This is a purley SEC thing, IMO.  I can't imagine an Arkansas fan pulling for a Texas team back when Arkansas was in the SWC just because they were in the same conference.  I can't envision a scenario where Michigan fans were pulling for Ohio State to win the NC in football or for USC fans wanting UCLA to win the NC in basketball.

Hawgon

For me, Virginia with all of the history and buildings designed by Thomas Jefferson is the prettiest campus I have visited.  Nothing spectacular, just what a college should be as far as looks go.

Hogginitall

Quote from: theknighton on April 08, 2008, 11:18:48 am
Should check out Texas State University in San Marcos.... Now thats one campus that is easy on the eyes.

Been there.  It's nice.

Sao Ming

Quote from: Jimmy on April 08, 2008, 11:13:57 am

I preferred Stephens College to Mizzou.

;)

hogfan064

Quote from: Hawgon on April 08, 2008, 11:21:34 am
For me, Virginia with all of the history and buildings designed by Thomas Jefferson is the prettiest campus I have visited.  Nothing spectacular, just what a college should be as far as looks go.

I mentioned this one above.  Nothing beats it.  Can't go wrong with the setting either with the Appalachian Mountains in the background. 

Really all the "traditional" ACC schools have nice campuses.  Clemson's is very nice, but with all the hills a very physical walk.

DrSwineESQ

April 08, 2008, 11:35:23 am #31 Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 11:47:00 am by DrSwineESQ
KU does have a pretty campus, and so does Mizzou.  I've been to both dozens of times--I give the edge to KU between the two of them, though I think Columbia is a better town than Lawrence.  That being said, I chose to work at the UofA and live in Fayetteville--I think they're superior all the way around.  As far as fans go, KU fans are more over the top than Mizzou's, but I have a sneaking suspicion that's because KU actually won a few championships in Basketball.  Poor ole Mizzou fans have only one National Championship in the school's entire history, baseball I think.  Anyway, give Mizzou fans a championship in Basketball or Football and you'd probably find them worse than Jayhawks...I mean no disrespect, but Mizzou fans brag about inventing homecoming and having Big MO, the largest drum in the world.    :o You know I'm right.

DeltaBoy

I have been at UA, UALR,,UAPB, ASU, UABP, Southern Miss, Ole Miss, MSU, TCU, Baylor, UTerous and FSU. 

I rank UA the best and FSU a close second.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogfan064

Another great campus is The Citadel's.  Lots of history and located in a great city.

josh_sec33

Arkansas is very much the best campus in the state of arkansas. KU's campus my one thought is how spread out everything was. I had some friends and we drove around the campus at 11 pm and we drove a good 5-10 minutes to get to one side to the other of campus. Bama and Auburn didn't do anything for me, Ole Miss was only impressive in that every frickin frat house looked like a plantation house, and Delaware is a dump. I mean. a numbered State highway running RIGHT THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE CAMPUS? sheesh.

I do like Husky Stadium at Univ. of Washington. Nothing like seeing Puget Sound over the football field.

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

DrSwineESQ

Didn't know that about Deleware.  Texas Tech has the ugliest campus I've ever seen.

noprayerfornutt

I like the West Point campus.

igotdatwood

Quote from: Geohul on April 08, 2008, 08:44:24 am
Starkville is Gorgeous this time of year.  ;)

nice campus, but starkville itself sucks.

HogFanInBigD

stanford has the best ive seen. also, lsu has a beautiful campus. lsu's is almost like a poor man's stanford. both are great.
Callin Woo Pig From Big D!

Porquemada

Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2008, 09:03:32 am

Sour grapes?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 08, 2008, 09:02:46 am

I think WPS scares alot of other fans.

PigglyWiggly

Feelings aside about any of these...

ND has one pretty amazing campus
USC-west wasn't impressive at all
KU was absolutely nothing special
KSU is actually a very nice campus
LSU was just ok
OSU wasn't anything special
Air Force had a pretty awesome campus, at least what I remember of it
Auburn was ok. Sanford Hall is pretty, the rest of the campus is kind of blah.
Miss State...haha, well it's Starkville.

As a current student at mizzou, I really don't think mizzou's campus is all that special.  #1 rec center in the nation (and that's for dang sure! that thing is nice), but other than that, they have 2 pretty buildings and that's about it.

As a UA alum, I absolutely love the setting of the school.  Some of those days up by the bus stop, there is one amazing view of the bostons.  I do wish they had tried to "unite" the theme of the buildings more to the style of Old Main, especially that block of concrete called Bell Engineering.  That thing is uglier than a dog turd.

flagstaffhog

I would second the statement about Pepperdine. Stunning campus.
Go HOGS Go!

josh_sec33

Air Force's campus is stunningly beautiful. The chapel there is unreal.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

mizzouman

mizzouman

Quote from: PigglyWiggly on April 08, 2008, 05:55:51 pm
Feelings aside about any of these...

ND has one pretty amazing campus
USC-west wasn't impressive at all
KU was absolutely nothing special
KSU is actually a very nice campus
LSU was just ok
OSU wasn't anything special
Air Force had a pretty awesome campus, at least what I remember of it
Auburn was ok. Sanford Hall is pretty, the rest of the campus is kind of blah.
Miss State...haha, well it's Starkville.

As a current student at mizzou, I really don't think mizzou's campus is all that special.  #1 rec center in the nation (and that's for dang sure! that thing is nice), but other than that, they have 2 pretty buildings and that's about it.

As a UA alum, I absolutely love the setting of the school.  Some of those days up by the bus stop, there is one amazing view of the bostons.  I do wish they had tried to "unite" the theme of the buildings more to the style of Old Main, especially that block of concrete called Bell Engineering.  That thing is uglier than a dog turd.

KSU for real??  KSU is considered one of the ugliest campuses in the Big 12 along with Tech, Iowa Stat and Okie St. 

big boes

Quote from: PigglyWiggly on April 08, 2008, 05:55:51 pm

my feelings exactly. "architectural integrity" across building would make all the difference and give arkansas' a more aesthetic and timeless campus. old main and the buldings on the north east side of campus are wonderful, but walking from there toward the stadium the buildings just get more mismatched. hunt hall, the music  building, kjimple, the union (even post-facelift), etc. are out of place and drag the overall campus grade down. it seems that the campus is getting uglier as it ages because the new buildings don't have to resemble the old ones.

AckaBacka

Boulder Colorado campus beats ours but not by too much.

IronHog

Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2008, 08:23:45 am

The mid-west is full of big boned women and therefore big boned co-eds.

You lose by default.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

bobbybouchet

Come on guys...step back from the Kool Aid.  Every fan thinks their campus is the best for whatever reason.  We have a pretty good campus, but we are lacking some things.  Namely, a great place for tailgating.  Most people judge a campus on a football game day.  I sure did at Ole Miss...I have to admit it was pretty cool but, the stadium sucked.  We have an above average stadium, but nothing that stands out more than most.  Baseball stadium is above average...Basketball stadium is average to above average depending on where you are from.  Track stadium is pretty damn good for track.  But, I have been to several campuses in the SEC and don't think we are above and beyond most.  I think Knoxville, Florida, and LSU are about the same.  Vandy and Miss St are lacking and the rest are in the middle.