Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why all the Memphis love on the board?

Started by jsimpso3, April 07, 2008, 08:20:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jsimpso3

just a simple question. not trying to start anything. if memphis is your team that's cool. there just seems to be a lot of "go memphis" posts and threads on the board. my friends and i from from east arkansas despise memphis(the tigers not the grizz) and i pretty much thought most hog fans on the east side did too. are we so desperate to root for a winner that we are switching over to memphis fans or has everybody always liked the tigers?

The Realist

There are quite a few from TN on this board.  That's one reason.  And I hate all the UNC, UCLA, Kansas love.  ESPN always picks them and just now are they giving Memphis credit.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

VRaptor

Ulysses_S_Grunt

I was born in Memphis... I'm a hog at heart and will root for the razorbacks over anyone else. But i'll root for the vols and the tigers whenever the play other teams.

Go tigers!

Throwback1

Memphis is my hometown, and I was a student at MSU when Walton and UCLA beat them in the championship game in '73...I would never consider pulling for Memphis against Arkansas, but vs. Kansas it's a pretty easy choice.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

Darren DeLoach

born and raised in memphis----i am a razorback only kind of guy.

i will never understand how any die hard hog fan could root for tiger high.

we have a history and it was never nice.

their fans are overly mouthy despite never really doing anything.

if they do win, they will be terrible.

my whole family feels the same way.

we have a complete disdain for tiger high.

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

3kgthog

Go Kansas. Calipari had the nerve to say he didn't need Arkansas to sell tickets and then tried to get us to schedule a game against Memphis in Little Rock so he could make some recruiting inroads. Screw him.

Throwback1

"they"....if that means "all", I doubt it.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

clutch

Grew up going to a lot of Memphis games because I am so close. Always kinda liked them because of that (basketball more than football). I have actually been to more Tigers basketball games than Razorback games because its a long drive for me to get to the Bud. However, I never have really gone to many of their football games because I always chose to stay home and watch the Hogs on TV rather than go to Memphis and watch the Tigers live.

40MINSOFHELL

because people wanna be thugs or idk, maybe drug dealers, GO KANSAS

Dwight_K_Shrute

DKS is going to drop some knowledge on ya holla!!!

For all the reasons to love Memphis go here:  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Memphis

Be sure to read all the definitions for Memphis.

I also suggest clicking on everything from Memphis Dry Rub to Memphis Poker.

And that's one to grow on.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jsimpso3

Quote from: semohawg on April 07, 2008, 08:40:51 pm
born and raised in memphis----i am a razorback only kind of guy.

i will never understand how any die hard hog fan could root for tiger high.

we have a history and it was never nice.

their fans are overly mouthy despite never really doing anything.

if they do win, they will be terrible.

my whole family feels the same way.

we have a complete disdain for tiger high.

unfortunately this has been my experience with tigger high fans.
i 'm sure there are some that are not obnoxious, but i have never met him or her

Throwback1

I don't know what obnoxious means.  If memphis wins, I'll be happy for them and congratulate them on being national champions and finshing a great year at 39-1, most wins in one year in NCAA history..is that obnoxious?  If Kansas wins, I"ll congratulate them on winning the national championship and for finishing a great year....just not sure what the definition of obnoxious is, although I certainly hope being happy and proud of the national champions would not qualify.

clutch

If so I hope we get to be a bunch of obnoxious Hog fans in the near future!!!

jsimpso3

Quote from: Throwback1 on April 07, 2008, 08:59:45 pm
I don't know what obnoxious means.  If memphis wins, I'll be happy for them and congratulate them on being national champions and finshing a great year at 39-1, most wins in one year in NCAA history..is that obnoxious?  If Kansas wins, I"ll congratulate them on winning the national championship and for finishing a great year....just not sure what the definition of obnoxious is, although I certainly hope being happy and proud of the national champions would not qualify.

ok, i will explain obnoxious since you don't know

obnoxious is talking about how great your program is and how everybody else is a joke without ever actually doing anything. i have a hard time believing you grew up in memphis around tiger high fans and have never heard this. you could also say obnoxious is your post in another thread about comparing west memphis to hell. that would also qualify as obnoxious

Ulysses_S_Grunt

It seems to me that the people rooting against Memphis are being much more obnoxious than those rooting for them.

Go tigers! Beat the jayhawks!

RZBC9

Memphis is Thug U...... I can't stand them or their greasy coach... I have not forgotten his comments about Arkansas when he cancelled the home and home series with us.... Go Jayhawks beat Thug U!!!!!

ballhog™

Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

hawgsav1

April 07, 2008, 09:22:27 pm #18 Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:26:38 pm by hawgsav1
I never understood the overuse of the word "thug".  It gets overused as an insult and by rich-kid Tupac-wannabes.  Nevertheless, I hate Calipari.  He's a corrupt coach (similar to Tim Floyd) that showcases everything that is wrong with college athletics today.  I really wish John Chaney had followed through on his threat sometimes :-P.  Note: Above statement was a joke so please don't send the FBI after me.

However, I hate Kansas too.  They are a bunch of arrogant pricks who think that  they are god's gift to basketball.  They have historically great winning percentage (comparable only to Kentucky overall) and a history of great coaches, but they can never finish a season (only 2 national titles).  On top of that, they are rude to us Arkansas fans.  I'm cheering for Memphis today, but probably just for proximity reasons.  I feel like I'm cheering for the neighborhood bully you would grow up hating but you cheer for because he's from your neighborhood.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

jsimpso3

Quote from: hawgsav1 on April 07, 2008, 09:22:27 pm
I never understood the overuse of the word "thug".  It gets overused as an insult and by rich-kid Tupac-wannabes.  Nevertheless, I hate Calipari.  He's a corrupt coach (similar to Tim Floyd) that showcases everything that is wrong with college athletics today.  I really wish John Chaney had followed through on his threat sometimes :-P.  Note: Above statement was a joke so please don't send the FBI after me.

Nevertheless, I hate Kansas too.  They are a bunch of arrogant pricks who think that  they are god's gift to basketball.  They have historically great winning percentage (comparable only to Kentucky overall) and a history of great coaches, but they can never finish a season (only 2 national titles).  On top of that, they are rude to us Arkansas fans.  I'm cheering for Memphis today, but probably just for proximity reasons.  I feel like I'm cheering for the neighborhood bully you would grow up hating but you cheer for because he's from your neighborhood.

nicely put and makes sense to me

RZBC9

Hawgsav1 go to the Memphis board if you want to see rude fans.... And by the way screw you for the the rich kid tupac comment... I bet you pee sitting down..... Go hogs!!!!

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

linze82

if you do not understand why Memphis players are called thugs. Please see the old thread from the uab game
smite me bishes

SteveInArk

OMG.......... Kansas overcame two BS non-calls by the refs in the stretch and tied it to OT....
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

hawgsav1

Quote from: RZBC9 on April 07, 2008, 10:20:02 pm
Hawgsav1 go to the Memphis board if you want to see rude fans.... And by the way screw you for the the rich kid tupac comment... I bet you pee sitting down..... Go hogs!!!!

I never said Memphis fans aren't rude.  I dislike Memphis a lot.  However, I stand by my rich kid comment.  I'm sick of hearing a bunch of kids who don't know a single thing about struggling talk about how much of a "Thug-Life" they're living.  I also am tired of people saying that teams like the Atlanta Falcons or whomever are full of "thugs".  Just because someone dresses different or disagrees with you doesn't mean they're "thugs".  The word has become absolutely meaningless.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hawgsav1 on April 07, 2008, 10:54:53 pm
I never said Memphis fans aren't rude.  I dislike Memphis a lot.  However, I stand by my rich kid comment.  I'm sick of hearing a bunch of kids who don't know a single thing about struggling talk about how much of a "Thug-Life" they're living.  I also am tired of people saying that Memphis or the Atlanta Falcons are full of "thugs".  Just because someone dresses different or disagrees with you doesn't mean they're "thugs".  The word has become absolutely meaningless.

You're right.  They're punks,  not thugs.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hawgsav1

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 07, 2008, 10:56:04 pm

You're right.  They're punks,  not thugs.

Punks is fine :D.  At least it gives some variety to the discussion.

linze82

does killing dogs and glorifying it on national tv qualify as thugs behavior. Does slapping a fan and damn near causing a riot at an opposing teams court count?
smite me bishes

hawgsav1

Quote from: linze82 on April 07, 2008, 10:59:05 pm
does killing dogs and glorifying it on national tv qualify as thugs behavior. Does slapping a fan and damn near causing a riot at an opposing teams court count?

it classifies as criminal behavior, and yes Michael Vick did something abhorrent and should be punished for it.  However, DeAngelo Hall and a few Falcons teammates supporting a friend who messed up is perfectly legal and not "thug" behavior.

Phenomenal One

I hate Cal and Memphis.  Always hated Memphis, ever since our semi-rivalry in the early 90's.  They beat us in football too, which didn't make me happy.  Calapari I have hated since he talked trash about us at UMASS when they beat us that year.  We were the ones that ended up in the title game though.

I loved watching the last 2 minutes of that game + overtime . . . and I really don't like Kansas that much either

RZBC9

And the runner up recieves this beautiful set of steak knives..... Haha!!!!!!

The Realist

Quote from: linze82 on April 07, 2008, 10:59:05 pm
Don't act like UAB fans weren't just as responsible for that.  A few of the Memphis players reacted badly in that situation but nobody should group their whole team as thugs.  They aren't.  There are good guys and a couple of bad apples on that team just as there are everywhere.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

linze82

I don"t think they are ALL thugs
fans always talk $h1t, doesn't mean you act like that
smite me bishes

The Realist

Quote from: linze82 on April 07, 2008, 11:12:03 pm
I don"t think they are ALL thugs
fans always talk $h1t, doesn't mean you act like that
Well there is talking crap to a team and then there is inciting them to try and fight as their student section did.  Both were at fault there. 
When people associate thugs with Memphis, just remember why Willie Kemp is at Memphis and not Arkansas and that will give you a different perspective on their team "thug" stereotype.
Childs, Gregory.

linze82

I don't know what you are talking about
smite me bishes

The Realist

Childs, Gregory.

RZBC9

He means Willie Kemp loves his momma....

linze82

I don't understand your point with the article
smite me bishes

The Realist

Quote from: linze82 on April 07, 2008, 11:36:40 pm
I don't understand your point with the article
People are blindly calling an entire team thugs because of the perception of Memphis and a stupid bias.  Nothing about Willie Kemp is thuggish in anything he does.  There are other good guys on that team yet people want to call them thugs simply because they go to Memphis.  It's ignorant.  The fact that Joey Dorsey is alive or not on some street corner hustlin is amazing.   The place he came from is a 3rd world country compared to what most of us grow up in.  Their post game interviews are much better than some interviews Arkansas players have done, yet they are the "thugs" because they go to Memphis.
Childs, Gregory.

WilsonHog

There are some Razorback fans from northeast Arkansas and west Tennessee.

In fact, there was a time when the only college basketball available in northeast Arkansas was Memphis State basketball tape delayed on WKNO. I knew who Billy "the Kid" Cook, Bill Laurie, and "Big John" Gunn were before I knew that UA played basketball.   

WilsonHog

Quote from: donewithdale on April 07, 2008, 11:53:09 pm
I agree that we shouldn't attack their players.  I feel for them right now although a few will be millionaires soon.  Its their fans, media and few others that need attacking.  Thug does = Memphis but its not unlike other poor southern cities.

Or poor rural areas.

And it's not a racial thing...it's a poverty thing.

Brass Knob

Born and raised in Fort Smith, love the hogs but go to the University of Memphis! 

hoglady

The Memphis fans at the Regional in L R weren't obnoxious. I talked to a bunch of them, they were friendly and fun. I will root for a Conf USA school located only a few hours from LR anyday over a Big 12 school.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

olivebranchhog

im just like a lot on this board i guess. i spent the last 6 years of my life in memphis area so i pull for them because i know how much passion the fans feel for their team. i relate to them because if you actually talk to most memphis fans they know a lot about the game and always put their team first. with the grizzlies being the grizzlies, the tigers are all that the city of memphis has besides a record homicide rate and a mayor that needs to get shot 30 times in the head.
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

Throwback1

Memphis choked, Kansas stepped up like champions....Congrats to the Kansas Jayhawks, NCAA National CHAMPIONS!