Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oklahoma player of the year is

Started by The Recruiting Guy, March 31, 2008, 09:33:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

Keiton Page. Named by the Oklahoman newspaper as Player of the Year.

Marshfieldhog

HotlantaHog

Hollywood_HOGan45

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

cosmodrum

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 31, 2008, 09:57:30 am
isnt that obvious?

Yeah, can't blame the Okies for that. That being said, I believe we're getting a special kid in Rotnei.
Go away, batin'

OKhogfan1959

Love Rotnei but can't really argue with Page getting that award. Both are great and I am just glad to have Rotnei.

Hogginitall

What are their stats from this year?  Anyone have them?  I'm pretty sure I could argue against Page getting it and for Rotnei.  Rotnei is the all-time leading scorer in the state of Oklahoma and led his team to a state title this year.  Why should Page get it (besides the fact that he's going to OSU)?

Tomhog™

Sorry, that is a crock of sh*t.  Keiton was instrumental in his team's run, but Rotnei is the better player, all homerism aside.  Just look at the offers of each and tell me which of the two Division 1 college coaches would consider player of the year?

Wild Bill Hog

Wonder who Page's coach will be year after next.

Amityvillehogger

Just look at the games they played each other.

Who scored more points. ;D (atleast the game on youtube)
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

cdohogfan

RECOUNT! My ballet had some hanging chads!

Hogginitall

Quote from: cdohogfan on March 31, 2008, 11:48:33 am
RECOUNT! My ballet had some hanging chads!

Are you talking about The Nutcracker, or some other ballet?

arklahoman36

March 31, 2008, 12:47:26 pm #14 Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:51:01 pm by arklahoman36
Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 31, 2008, 10:30:20 am
Sorry, that is a crock of sh*t.  Keiton was instrumental in his team's run, but Rotnei is the better player, all homerism aside.  Just look at the offers of each and tell me which of the two Division 1 college coaches would consider player of the year?

So the Heisman should go to the best NFL prospect?

And I'll resurrect an Arkansas homer line as well. When ever an instate kid like Matt Hall committed to ARK, everyone dismissed his lack of other offers as being because he was committed to ARK early. Well, Page committed to OSU early, so maybe that kept him from getting more offers.

Hogginitall

Quote from: arklahoman36 on March 31, 2008, 12:47:26 pm
So the Heisman should go to the best NFL prospect?

Rotnei was the better HS player, is a better college prospect, his team won the state title (led by him), and he is the leading scorer in Oklahoma history.  So, why should Page win it?

arklahoman36

March 31, 2008, 01:05:22 pm #16 Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:12:45 pm by arklahoman36
Quote from: Hogginitall on March 31, 2008, 12:50:46 pm
Rotnei was the better HS player, is a better college prospect, his team won the state title (led by him), and he is the leading scorer in Oklahoma history.  So, why should Page win it?

Page had the highest season scoring average in state history this year, broke his own state tournament scoring record this year, set the career state tournament record for points, set the single season scoring record, lead his team to a state title, and led the state in scoring, assists (7.3 per game compared to 3.6 for Clarke) and steals (6.3 for Page and 3.3 for Clarke) for the season and broke the national record for career 3-point percentage (49.9 percent).

EDIT: He also shot a better percentage from the FT line and 3-point range than Clarke this season.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: arklahoman36 on March 31, 2008, 01:05:22 pm
Page had the highest season scoring average in state history this year, broke his own state tournament scoring record this year, set the career state tournament record for points, set the single season scoring record, lead his team to a state title, and led the state in scoring, assists (7.3 per game compared to 3.6 for Clarke) and steals (6.3 for Page and 3.3 for Clarke) for the season and broke the national record for career 3-point percentage (49.9 percent).

EDIT: He also shot a better percentage from the FT line and 3-point range than Clarke this season.

Well, that settles that issue. 

Hogginitall

Wasn't he playing in a lower classification?  I know Pawnee beat Verdigris, but still.  There were two players that outplayed Page in that contest, Clarke and Alex Hansen.  The competition in 2A overall can't be as strong as what Clarke was facing in 3A. 

arklahoman36

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on March 31, 2008, 01:21:29 pm
Well, that settles that issue. 

LOL, not even saying that settles it; but for folks to act like Page was undeserving -- or Clarke got robbed -- shows they don't have any idea what kind of season Page had.

SultanofSwine

RC chose the HOGS though showing a much higher intelligence level. That more than compensates for a couple of steals and assist. ;D

Hogginitall

Not saying that Page is undeserving.  But, I do think Clarke got robbed.  And I think it has more than a little bit to do with the fact that Clarke signed with Arkansas and Page signed with OSU.  This is all just my opinion, however.

Hogginitall

Quote from: SultanofSwine on March 31, 2008, 01:26:46 pm
RC chose the HOGS though showing a much higher intelligence level. That more than compensates for a couple of steals and assist. ;D

HA!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 31, 2008, 01:28:06 pm
Not saying that Page is undeserving.  But, I do think Clarke got robbed.  And I think it has more than a little bit to do with the fact that Clarke signed with Arkansas and Page signed with OSU.  This is all just my opinion, however.

oh no, people in Oklahoma would never let a player's college decision affect their choice for Player of the year. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

arklahoman36

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 31, 2008, 01:24:40 pm
Wasn't he playing in a lower classification?  I know Pawnee beat Verdigris, but still.  There were two players that outplayed Page in that contest, Clarke and Alex Hansen.  The competition in 2A overall can't be as strong as what Clarke was facing in 3A. 

In Oklahoma there is not much difference in the 2A and 3A competition. Verdigris beat a better team in the state finals than Pawnee did, but not a team that was head and shoulders above the team Pawnee beat.

Both teams also played in some best of tournaments that got them some good competition before conference play started.

Clarke did have the advantage of having better frontcourt play at Verdigris overall for the year than Page did.

I think an argument could be made for both players being named POY, and maybe they should have gone with co-POY. Just saying to act like Page wasn't deserving isn't accurate.

arklahoman36

Quote from: drakehog on March 31, 2008, 01:31:51 pm
oh no, people in Oklahoma would never let a player's college decision affect their choice for Player of the year. ;D

Arkansas folks would never let the fact that Clarke committed to ARK cloud their judgment. If Page had committed to ARK and Clarke to OSU, and Clarke won, the same claims of bias would be made by folks over here that Clarke got it because he stayed instate.

Hogginitall

Quote from: arklahoman36 on March 31, 2008, 01:35:18 pm
Arkansas folks would never let the fact that Clarke committed to ARK cloud their judgment. If Page had committed to ARK and Clarke to OSU, and Clarke won, the same claims of bias would be made by folks over here that Clarke got it because he stayed instate.

Well maybe, but that's not the case.  I would also be a little bit more understanding because he plays in a lower classification, both won a state title (but again, at different classifications), Clarke owns the state scoring record, and Page was outplayed by Clarke when they matched up against each other.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 31, 2008, 12:50:46 pm

The POY is for this year and not his career. Keton had better stats this year.

Page went for 56 points and 15 assists in the finals of his state tournament. He deserved the POY in Oklahoma and it didn't matter where he went to college. There just wasn't any difference in them in HS. I would pick Rotnei over Page as a college player. He's taller by 3 inches or so and he's got more jumping ability. I think Keton is about 5/7-5/6..

I am a huge Rotnei Clarke fan and very happy that we have him!!!! I have seen both play and Rotnei has the scoring record because of his uncle playing him till the end of games when his team was winning by 30 or more points. Keton also played deep into games but not as much as Rotnei did. I don't blame the coaches! When do you get a chance to set records like those two did.

Keton deseved the POY award and if  Rotnei would have won it he aslo would have deserved it! Both had great careers  but this year Keton had a little better year..Stats tell the story..

Most on here running off at the mouth haven't even seen them play...

Hogginitall

QuoteMost on here running off at the mouth haven't even seen them play...

Or, just have a different opinion...

OKhogfan1959

In Oklahoma some years class A is tougher than 2a or 3a..No difference at all in 2A and 3A. Sometimes 4A is not even that tough...Now 5A and 6A on the boys side is a different story.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 31, 2008, 01:44:19 pm

Not necessarily a different opinion..Just don't agree that Rotnei was robbed..I have said many times I would take Rotnei over Page! Hogginitall I am not attacking your opinion it's just that I live in Oklahoma and have watched these two play a few times...Seems like I have heard about them since they were both in 6th grade...

I have watched a lot of Oklahoma HS basketball..Love it!!

Hogginitall

Quote from: LawnHog48 on March 31, 2008, 01:47:02 pm
Not necessarily a different opinion..Just don't agree that Rotnei was robbed..I have said many times I would take Rotnei over Page! Hogginitall I am not attacking your opinion it's just that I live in Oklahoma and have watched these two play a few times...Seems like I have heard about them since they were both in 6th grade...

I have watched a lot of Oklahoma HS basketball..Love it!!

I know you aren't attacking my opinion.  But you are disagreeing with it.  I do think Clarke was robbed.  I don't necessarily think that Page is undeserving, however.  I think he is very deserving.  Sometimes, there is more than one person that deserves a specific award.  In this case, it is my opinion that Clarke deserved it a tad more than Page. 

OKhogfan1959

I agree that Rotnei deserved the award as well..Maybe Rotnei will get the Gatorade POY? I think it's a bigger award than the Oklahoman anyways. The Tulsa World will most likely name Rotnei it's POY.

Oklahoman might have favored the instate signee but Keton was a beast as was Rotnei.

Hogginitall

Quote from: LawnHog48 on March 31, 2008, 01:57:17 pm
I agree that Rotnei deserved the award as well..Maybe Rotnei will get the Gatorade POY? I think it's a bigger award than the Oklahoman anyways. The Tulsa World will most likely name Rotnei it's POY.

Oklahoman might have favored the instate signee but Keton was a beast as was Rotnei.

Page's numbers WERE pretty impressive.  I can't wait to see Rotnei in a Razorback uniform.  Maybe they'll get to play against each other in college sometime.  I guess it would probably have to be in a tournament.  That would be cool!

arklahoman36

Quote from: LawnHog48 on March 31, 2008, 01:57:17 pm

Any bias has more to do with Pawnee being a little closer to OKC, and Verdigris almost being a suburb just NE of Tulsa. Both the Oklahoman and Tulsa World will play to their primary readership with their POY choices sometimes.

Oliver

opineonswine

No disrespect for newspapers....but who died and made them experts?  They sell their "expertise" for a quarter.

Wildhog

The state's ALL TIME SCORING LEADER, player with better offers, won state championship, and beat the other guy in a head to head matchup didn't win player of the year...hmmm...Wonder if Sean Sutton is the committee?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Wildhog05 on March 31, 2008, 02:44:07 pm
The state's ALL TIME SCORING LEADER, player with better offers, won state championship, and beat the other guy in a head to head matchup didn't win player of the year...hmmm...Wonder if Sean Sutton is the committee?

How did Rotnei win the head to head match up.  I thought Pawnee won the game. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on March 31, 2008, 02:55:36 pm
How did Rotnei win the head to head match up.  I thought Pawnee won the game. 

Pawnee won, but Clarke outplayed Page.

LJHOG

Can't argue those stats.  Clearly Page was a deserving recepient as Rotnei would have been.  I'm glad to have Rotnei as I'm sure whoever got Page is also. 

RZRBack_FAN

We can come back in a couple of year and talk about just how meaningless this is. Page is gonna ride the pine and thats about it. He will probably end up transfering down. No way a guy thats 5'7" is going to ever get a shot off on the collegiate level. He is no were near as athletic as Clarke. How many guys you think he can guard in the Big 12?

PorcineSublime

So Page is 5'7" and Clark is 3" taller? I thought he was 6'2" or so. Going to be tough to get a shot off at 5'10" in the SEC. Not poopooing Clark, just a little nervous if he is under 6'.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

hawgdevildawg

"Don't worry I'm sure I can struggle my way out of this. I'll just pull my legs out with my hands. And now I'll pull my arms out with my face."--Homer Simpson

pignatious

Daily Oklahoman refuses to acknowledge that anything goes on beyond the state's borders anyway. A truly horrible newspaper in every way. Should have at least had co-players of the year if they wanted to homer it up that bad.
Freedom is never free.

tbhogfan

Quote from: PorcineSublime on March 31, 2008, 08:47:49 pm
So Page is 5'7" and Clark is 3" taller? I thought he was 6'2" or so. Going to be tough to get a shot off at 5'10" in the SEC. Not poopooing Clark, just a little nervous if he is under 6'.

Both Rivals and Scout have Clarke listed at 6-0 (for what that is worth).  There is another post with video of him playing AAU ball that you should see.  This kid can create his own shot, dish and handle the ball.  I doubt he will be hanging 40 on the SEC, but he will make an impact.
Go Hogs!

OKhogfan1959

They list Page at 5/10 and he's about 5/7 or 5/8...Rotnei is a legit 6/0 and maybe even 6/1..He has never had trouble getting his shot off in AAU competition..He has played the best in the nation and proven his skills. He will not put up 40 but he will score and score a lot of different ways. He will also have a lot of assists the kid can pass and he's a shot maker.

Purple Tiger

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 31, 2008, 01:44:19 pm

How did the Sooners miss out on these kids?

arklahoman36

BTW, the Oklahoma Basketball Coaches Association named Page and Clarke co-POY.