Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

math, did Stallings choke?

Started by ALLVOL, March 21, 2008, 10:06:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 24, 2008, 12:55:44 pm
Winning a bunch of games during the regular season doesn't matter to me one bit.  Maybe that's the difference between a truly elite team and one that wishes they were.  One is happy that they won 30 games during the regular season, and only mildly upset when their team (as a 2-seed) doesn't make the Elite 8.  The other's fans are pi$$ed when their team doesn't make it to AT LEAST the Elite 8 as a 2-seed. 
I want UT to win every game they play. But to say winning your conf is not winning something is idiotic at best. I didnt say UT was an elite program either. But there is no question that Pearl has made huge progress in a very, very short time. You and math are about the only people I know who seem to think differently. Also we don't have a strong history in bb like the hogs do. But even Arkansas had to start somewhere. It appears that UT now has a coach that will take them to the next level. Like it or not that is whats happening.

The Realist

When you win 30 games in a season, your an elite team RIGHT NOW.  Nobody said that will last.  Nobody said they are top 3 in the nation. 
When you have the #1 RPI #1 SOS and still win 30 games in a season, that does mean alot.  TN got the shaft in seeding whether anyone wants to admit it or not. 
Kansas' losses are to Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Texas
TN's losses are to Kentucky, Texas, Vanderbilt, and Arkansas.  One more loss but their out of conference schedule is ridiculous.
Temple, @West Virginia, Texas, Western Kentucky, @Xavier, @Gonzaga, @Memphis.  None of these games were in Knoxville.   Do you know any other team that can claim they have already played 5 of the 16 teams in the sweet 16 and beaten 4 of them.  Every team TN loss to was in the tournament.  Playing those games in the regular season means ALOT.  People say TN got lucky yesterday, but they have tested themselves all year in these type of high pressure games so its not surprise when they pull them out like experienced teams do.   Maybe that will come to an end vs. Louisville, but saying TN's season means nothing because they didn't so and so far is ridiculous. 

And whether you want to admit it or not, if Arkansas had won 30 games this season, Arkansas fans would be ecstatic.  It's been 13 years so the whole tradition thing doesn't apply considering the only thing hanging around from those days are the banners in the ceiling and those have no affect on anything besides fan's bragging rights.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Hogginitall

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 24, 2008, 01:02:05 pm
I want UT to win every game they play. But to say winning your conf is not winning something is idiotic at best. I didnt say UT was an elite program either. But there is no question that Pearl has made huge progress in a very, very short time. You and math are about the only people I know who seem to think differently. Also we don't have a strong history in bb like the hogs do. But even Arkansas had to start somewhere. It appears that UT now has a coach that will take them to the next level. Like it or not that is whats happening.

Oh, I see what is happening at Tennessee.  They have come from horrible to good.  They will stay there for awhile, then go back to the dumps when teams like Arkansas and Kentucky get back to a more normal level for these programs.  That's just the way it is.

Hogginitall

And, I have said numerous times that I think Pearl is a good coach.  But, not even close to the best in the SEC.  I STILL think Stallings is a better coach than Pearl.  I think it is amazing that Tennessee is at the level they are at right now.  However, I don't think they'll go much higher.  Maybe an Elite 8 or two, but then back down to middle of the pack. 

Elite teams win in the POSTSEASON!  You're not an elite team until you at least get past the Sweet 16.  And if you keep losing in, or before, the Sweet 16 as a # 2-5 seed, you're team/program will not get much respect as elite).  See how that works?

Who do you think is more elite; a team that goes 31-1 in the regular season, but loses in the Sweet 16 or a team that wins 25 games in the regular season, but goes to the Final Four or wins a NC?  That should be a really easy question to answer.  Maybe we just have different definitions of ELITE.

Hogginitall

Quote from: The Realist on March 24, 2008, 01:05:13 pm
When you win 30 games in a season, your an elite team RIGHT NOW.  Nobody said that will last.  Nobody said they are top 3 in the nation. 
When you have the #1 RPI #1 SOS and still win 30 games in a season, that does mean alot.  TN got the shaft in seeding whether anyone wants to admit it or not. 
Kansas' losses are to Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Texas
TN's losses are to Kentucky, Texas, Vanderbilt, and Arkansas.  One more loss but their out of conference schedule is ridiculous.
Temple, @West Virginia, Texas, Western Kentucky, @Xavier, @Gonzaga, @Memphis.  None of these games were in Knoxville.   Do you know any other team that can claim they have already played 5 of the 16 teams in the sweet 16 and beaten 4 of them.  Every team TN loss to was in the tournament.  Playing those games in the regular season means ALOT.  People say TN got lucky yesterday, but they have tested themselves all year in these type of high pressure games so its not surprise when they pull them out like experienced teams do.   Maybe that will come to an end vs. Louisville, but saying TN's season means nothing because they didn't so and so far is ridiculous. 

And whether you want to admit it or not, if Arkansas had won 30 games this season, Arkansas fans would be ecstatic.  It's been 13 years so the whole tradition thing doesn't apply considering the only thing hanging around from those days are the banners in the ceiling and those have no affect on anything besides fan's bragging rights.

Of course we'd be happy winning 30 games after where we've been over the past 12-15 years.  However, I guarantee you that if Arkansas had won 30 games and was a #2 seed, our fans would EXPECT A LOT MORE THAN A LOSS IN THE SWEET 16.  Your fans will say, "he won 30 games" or "he's taken us so far" or "we win more games each year under Pearl".  And to all that, I say WHO CARES if you don't get past the Sweet 16 or Elite 8!

The Realist

March 24, 2008, 02:30:51 pm #55 Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:34:05 pm by The Realist
Quote from: Hogginitall on March 24, 2008, 01:58:13 pm
Of course we'd be happy winning 30 games after where we've been over the past 12-15 years.  However, I guarantee you that if Arkansas had won 30 games and was a #2 seed, our fans would EXPECT A LOT MORE THAN A LOSS IN THE SWEET 16.  Your fans will say, "he won 30 games" or "he's taken us so far" or "we win more games each year under Pearl".  And to all that, I say WHO CARES if you don't get past the Sweet 16 or Elite 8!
Arkansas fans are more radical in everything they do.  When we lose, even yesterday, it isn't good enough.  When we lost in football to better teams, people were still just as mad as ever.  People come on here decrying these seniors as the worst ever, get out, etc.  In football vs. Alabama it was Herring get the F out of here we hate you etc.  Expectations are, at times, at Arkansas are unrealistic.  There is going to be an outcry every single time we lose and history shows that is true on this board.  There are going to be losses, There are going to be wins.  Arkansas fans just don't handle it as well as some. 
Every single TN fan will tell you they are disappointed when TN ends up losing in this tournament.  They will tell you, we could have gone further, etc.  But other fan bases know this is the NCAA tournament and nothing can be expected or guaranteed.  Arkansas fans don't have that mentality, its win or go through hell.   Just because other fan bases move on faster than people in Arkansas does not mean they care any less.  But just because people aren't going ape crap like some on here do, doesn't mean they are any less disappointed.  Remember that when you judge a different fan base. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Hogginitall

Quote from: The Realist on March 24, 2008, 02:30:51 pm
Arkansas fans are more radical in everything they do.  When we lose, even yesterday, it isn't good enough.  When we lost in football to better teams, people were still just as mad as ever.  People come on here decrying these seniors as the worst ever, get out, etc.  In football vs. Alabama it was Herring get the F out of here we hate you etc.  Expectations are, at times, at Arkansas are unrealistic.  There is going to be an outcry every single time we lose and history shows that is true on this board.  There are going to be losses, There are going to be wins.  Arkansas fans just don't handle it as well as some. 
Every single TN fan will tell you they are disappointed when TN ends up losing in this tournament.  They will tell you, we should have won, etc.  But just because people aren't going ape crap like some on here do, doesn't mean they are any less disappointed

No, you're just happy with being good because you've been crap for so long.  We're like this because we were at that level for pretty much 25 years straight.  Where anything less than a Sweet 16 was a disappointment.  Not because we were unrealistic with our expectations.  They were realistic at that time.  And we will be back there sooner rather than later.  And Tennessee will once again take a backseat.  Take a look.  There's a reason we expect more than Tennessee fans, and it's not as easy as saying we're unrealistic or "radical".

76-77 Eddie Sutton 26-2 (16-0) 1 NCAA 1st Round
77-78 Eddie Sutton 32-4 (14-2) T1 NCAA Final Four
78-79 Eddie Sutton 25-5 (13-3) 2 NCAA Reg Final
79-80 Eddie Sutton 21-8 (13-3) 2 NCAA 1st Round
80-81 Eddie Sutton 24-8 (13-3) 1 NCAA Reg Semifinal
81-82 Eddie Sutton 23-6 (12-4) 1 NCAA 2nd Round
82-83 Eddie Sutton 26-4 (14-2) 2 NCAA Reg Semifinal
83-84 Eddie Sutton 25-7 (14-2) 2 NCAA 1st Round
84-85 Eddie Sutton 22-13 (10-6) 2 NCAA Second Round
85-86 Nolan Richardson 12-16 (4-12) 7 -
86-87 Nolan Richardson 19-14 (8-8) 5 NIT 2nd Round
87-88 Nolan Richardson 21-9 (11-5) T2 NCAA 1st Round
88-89 Nolan Richardson 25-7 (13-3) 1 NCA 2nd Round
89-90 Nolan Richardson 30-5 (14-2) 1 NCAA Final Four
90-91 Nolan Richardson 34-4 (15-1) 1 NCAA Reg Final
91-92 Nolan Richardson 26-8 (13-3) 1 NCAA 2nd Round
92-93 Nolan Richardson 22-9 (10-6) 1W NCAA Reg Semifinal
93-94 Nolan Richardson 31-3 (14-2) 1 NCAA Champion
94-95 Nolan Richardson 32-7 (12-4) T1W NCAA Runner-Up
95-96 Nolan Richardson 20-13 (9-7) T2W NCAA Reg Semifinal
96-97 Nolan Richardson 18-14 (8-8) 2W NIT Final Four
97-98 Nolan Richardson 24-9 (11-5) 2W NCAA 2nd Round
98-99 Nolan Richardson 23-11 (9-7) 2W NCAA 2nd Round
99-00 Nolan Richardson 19-15 (7-9) 3W NCAA 1st Round
00-01 Nolan Richardson 20-11 (10-6) 2W NCAA 1st Round

http://www.arsnonline.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=249

The Realist

Do you know how idiotic you sound saying this?  I hated TN for years.  I grew up in Arkansas seeing these same radical views as everyone thinking TN was our big hated rival.  Now I go to school at Tennessee after being at the UofA last year.  Seeing a different perspective on things and what this school is really about helps to get a full circle view of how to view success vs. failure.  Don't come on here trying to associate me with Tennessee vs. Arkansas.  You have no clue.  This absolute attitude of  your with Arkansas or against us and nothing but is naive.  I used to bash every SEC school just like most on here do.  Until I spent time at some of these other schools.  You realize its stupid to say "I hate this school" or "I hate that school"  Fact is, most are alot alike, more so than alot of people on here want to admit for reasons of thinking so and so school is better.  All include students and alumni who are deeply devoted to their school.  Most are respectable and students are generally the same.  For people to come on here and say "I hate Tennessee" because of what they see on ESPN of Pearl or Phil Fulmer, when half the people in TN don't like him, is asinine.  It looks worse on Arkansas fans than it does anything.  Inform most Tennessee fans that Arkansas is a hated rival and its news to them.

Your logic is off if you say expectations are alot higher at Arkansas when Tennessee has gotten just as for in the last 13 years as Arkansas has.  Like I said, 94-95 is nice to reminisce on because "those were the days"  but those aren't the days anymore.  Expectations have to be adjusted to realistic.  You realize that within 5 years, kids who weren't even born the last time Arkansas won a title will be attending the UofA.  There's your perspective on Arkansas' success.  You saw yesterday, Arkansas is nowhere close to an elite team.  Those expectations right now are UNREALISTIC and not going to happen in the next 2-3 years. 

Stop trying to insult Tennessee because years and years ago Arkansas was on top of the basketball world and TN has never been there.  We screwed ourselves over by letting Frank Broyles run off Nolan and destroyed our program in the process.  You want to take pod shots at people for their program having success right now and not Arkansas?  Look inward for that.  We have nobody except for our administration and our handling of things for our struggles over the last 10 years. 
I defend Tennessee not because I am a huge fan of them, far from it.  I root for Arkansas over Tennessee every single time they play, in any sport.  But the idiotic bias on this board makes alot of people look plain dumb when alot of the facts and even opinions are illogical. 
Childs, Gregory.

LRCentralTiger

March 24, 2008, 03:18:47 pm #58 Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:20:37 pm by LRCentralTiger
Quote from: Hogginitall on March 24, 2008, 02:40:00 pm
No, you're just happy with being good because you've been crap for so long.  We're like this because we were at that level for pretty much 25 years straight.  Where anything less than a Sweet 16 was a disappointment.  Not because we were unrealistic with our expectations.  They were realistic at that time.  And we will be back there sooner rather than later.  And Tennessee will once again take a backseat.  Take a look.  There's a reason we expect more than Tennessee fans, and it's not as easy as saying we're unrealistic or "radical".

76-77 Eddie Sutton 26-2 (16-0) 1 NCAA 1st Round
77-78 Eddie Sutton 32-4 (14-2) T1 NCAA Final Four
78-79 Eddie Sutton 25-5 (13-3) 2 NCAA Reg Final
79-80 Eddie Sutton 21-8 (13-3) 2 NCAA 1st Round
80-81 Eddie Sutton 24-8 (13-3) 1 NCAA Reg Semifinal
81-82 Eddie Sutton 23-6 (12-4) 1 NCAA 2nd Round
82-83 Eddie Sutton 26-4 (14-2) 2 NCAA Reg Semifinal
83-84 Eddie Sutton 25-7 (14-2) 2 NCAA 1st Round
84-85 Eddie Sutton 22-13 (10-6) 2 NCAA Second Round
85-86 Nolan Richardson 12-16 (4-12) 7 -
86-87 Nolan Richardson 19-14 (8-8) 5 NIT 2nd Round
87-88 Nolan Richardson 21-9 (11-5) T2 NCAA 1st Round
88-89 Nolan Richardson 25-7 (13-3) 1 NCA 2nd Round
89-90 Nolan Richardson 30-5 (14-2) 1 NCAA Final Four
90-91 Nolan Richardson 34-4 (15-1) 1 NCAA Reg Final
91-92 Nolan Richardson 26-8 (13-3) 1 NCAA 2nd Round
92-93 Nolan Richardson 22-9 (10-6) 1W NCAA Reg Semifinal
93-94 Nolan Richardson 31-3 (14-2) 1 NCAA Champion
94-95 Nolan Richardson 32-7 (12-4) T1W NCAA Runner-Up
95-96 Nolan Richardson 20-13 (9-7) T2W NCAA Reg Semifinal
96-97 Nolan Richardson 18-14 (8-8) 2W NIT Final Four
97-98 Nolan Richardson 24-9 (11-5) 2W NCAA 2nd Round
98-99 Nolan Richardson 23-11 (9-7) 2W NCAA 2nd Round
99-00 Nolan Richardson 19-15 (7-9) 3W NCAA 1st Round
00-01 Nolan Richardson 20-11 (10-6) 2W NCAA 1st Round

http://www.arsnonline.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=249
From your above summary, from the 96 - 97 season we have been dropping like a rock.  That is a long period of time not to recover.  I think we will but I have seriously doubt it starts next year or the year after.  Pel has a major reconstruction job ahead of him.

(I need to learn to type.  I had to edit this post 3 times.)

Hogginitall

Quote from: The Realist on March 24, 2008, 03:05:42 pm
Do you know how idiotic you sound saying this?  I hated TN for years.  I grew up in Arkansas seeing these same radical views as everyone thinking TN was our big hated rival.  Now I go to school at Tennessee after being at the UofA last year.  Seeing a different perspective on things and what this school is really about helps to get a full circle view of how to view success vs. failure.  Don't come on here trying to associate me with Tennessee vs. Arkansas.  You have no clue.  This absolute attitude of  your with Arkansas or against us and nothing but is naive.  I used to bash every SEC school just like most on here do.  Until I spent time at some of these other schools.  You realize its stupid to say "I hate this school" or "I hate that school"  Fact is, most are alot alike, more so than alot of people on here want to admit for reasons of thinking so and so school is better.  All include students and alumni who are deeply devoted to their school.  Most are respectable and students are generally the same.  For people to come on here and say "I hate Tennessee" because of what they see on ESPN of Pearl or Phil Fulmer, when half the people in TN don't like him, is asinine.  It looks worse on Arkansas fans than it does anything.  Inform most Tennessee fans that Arkansas is a hated rival and its news to them.

Your logic is off if you say expectations are alot higher at Arkansas when Tennessee has gotten just as for in the last 13 years as Arkansas has.  Like I said, 94-95 is nice to reminisce on because "those were the days"  but those aren't the days anymore.  Expectations have to be adjusted to realistic.  You realize that within 5 years, kids who weren't even born the last time Arkansas won a title will be attending the UofA.  There's your perspective on Arkansas' success.  You saw yesterday, Arkansas is nowhere close to an elite team.  Those expectations right now are UNREALISTIC and not going to happen in the next 2-3 years. 

Stop trying to insult Tennessee because years and years ago Arkansas was on top of the basketball world and TN has never been there.  We screwed ourselves over by letting Frank Broyles run off Nolan and destroyed our program in the process.  You want to take pod shots at people for their program having success right now and not Arkansas?  Look inward for that.  We have nobody except for our administration and our handling of things for our struggles over the last 10 years. 
I defend Tennessee not because I am a huge fan of them, far from it.  I root for Arkansas over Tennessee every single time they play, in any sport.  But the idiotic bias on this board makes alot of people look plain dumb when alot of the facts and even opinions are illogical. 

Find one comment where I said I disliked Tennessee.  You do that and I won't ever say another word about Pearl or Tennessee.  Fact is, while it might have been 1995 when we last went to the Final Four, we've been there 6 times.  How many times has Tennessee?  Yeah, here in a couple of years, kids will be attending the U of A that weren't even born when Arkansas won their NC in basketball.  At least we have 1994 as a reference.  That's the thing that I'm trying to convey to you.  Tennessee has yet to prove anything, except that they can win a bunch of regular season games.  Tennessee hasn't been elite in the past and they're not elite right now.  They can't even make it past the round of 16.

Hogginitall

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on March 24, 2008, 03:18:47 pm
From your above summary, from the 96 - 97 season we have been dropping like a rock.  That is a long period of time not to recover.  I think we will but I have seriously doubt it starts next year or the year after.  Pel has a major reconstruction job ahead of him.

(I need to learn to type.  I had to edit this post 3 times.)

It's obvious that Nolan let the program slip after he won his NC.  However, Heath got us to the next level, and now Pel will take us even higher.  I think that he'll be able to take us back to elite status, but we'll just have to see in about 2-3 years.  I think his recruiting class this year is a big step towards that. 

Hogginitall

However, regarding the NCAAT and/or SECT, we've pretty much been on Tennessee's level all along (even in our worst down period in 25 years).

Hogginitall

March 24, 2008, 03:52:20 pm #62 Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:53:58 pm by Hogginitall
Tennessee has 252 wins since 1995-96.
Arkansas has 243 wins since 1995-96.

And this is arguably the best period for Tennessee basketball, and arguably one of the worst periods in Arkansas' basketball history (at least for a long time).

Or over the past 5 years:

Tennessee has 106 wins and Arkansas has 96.  So, an average of 2 wins/season better than Arkansas.  WOWOWOWOWOWOW!

Both have 3 NCAA appearances in the last 5 years.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 24, 2008, 01:47:47 pm
Oh, I see what is happening at Tennessee.  They have come from horrible to good.  They will stay there for awhile, then go back to the dumps when teams like Arkansas and Kentucky get back to a more normal level for these programs.  That's just the way it is.
Why are you leaving Florida out? They have more SECT and NCAAT championships than Arky.
I think you are dreaming if you think UT is going to drop. You need to check the class Pearl has coming in and look at who we will have coming back.
And that is not the way it is. That is your biased opinion.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 24, 2008, 03:52:20 pm
Tennessee has 252 wins since 1995-96.
Arkansas has 243 wins since 1995-96.

And this is arguably the best period for Tennessee basketball, and arguably one of the worst periods in Arkansas' basketball history (at least for a long time)

Or over the past 5 years:

Tennessee has 106 wins and Arkansas has 96.  So, an average of 2 wins/season better than Arkansas.  WOWOWOWOWOWOW!

Both have 3 NCAA appearances in the last 5 years.
What are the records since Pearl has gotten to UT? I mean since that is what we're talking about. How many NCAAT wins do each have?

I don't expect an answer.

The Realist

QuoteFind one comment where I said I disliked Tennessee.  You do that and I won't ever say another word about Pearl or Tennessee.  Fact is, while it might have been 1995 when we last went to the Final Four, we've been there 6 times.  How many times has Tennessee?  Yeah, here in a couple of years, kids will be attending the U of A that weren't even born when Arkansas won their NC in basketball.  At least we have 1994 as a reference.  That's the thing that I'm trying to convey to you.  Tennessee has yet to prove anything, except that they can win a bunch of regular season games.  Tennessee hasn't been elite in the past and they're not elite right now.  They can't even make it past the round of 16.
Exactly.  Arkansas has tradition.  Tennessee doesn't.  They are out there making their tradition right now.  Doing things their school has never done and every step of the way you and mathhog and others on this board are finding every single thing to discredit what they are doing.  Tennessee goes by their standards, let Arkansas go by theirs.  Their is no need to try and bash them every step of the way.  You look stupid trying to discredit some of their accomplishments considering where Arkansas is right now.  And the only rebuttal is 1994, 1994, 1994.  Tennessee is ALOT better off right now than Arkansas.  You keep dealing in the past.  TN has made it to consecutive sweet 16's.  Something Arkansas hasn't done since 1995. 

And to further back up that point of where TN is compared to Arkansas.  Look at whose on top right now.  Kansas, UCLA, Memphis, North Carolina.  Almost all the players in their starting 5 and 4-5 star players. 
TN has two 5 star players on their team to go with two 4 stars.  With Scotty Hopson looking likely for TN as well and other 4 stars.   For Pel to bring Arkansas back to national prominence like we all want him to and like he says....its not going to be with 3-4 star players.  The facts support that.  He needs to be able to haul in the 5 star guys.  Whether or not he can do that, will determine his success at Arkansas.  Just good or great?
Childs, Gregory.

Hogginitall

Quote from: The Realist on March 24, 2008, 04:50:17 pm
Exactly.  Arkansas has tradition.  Tennessee doesn't.  They are out there making their tradition right now.  Doing things their school has never done and every step of the way you and mathhog and others on this board are finding every single thing to discredit what they are doing.  Tennessee goes by their standards, let Arkansas go by theirs.  Their is no need to try and bash them every step of the way.  You look stupid trying to discredit some of their accomplishments considering where Arkansas is right now.  And the only rebuttal is 1994, 1994, 1994.  Tennessee is ALOT better off right now than Arkansas.  You keep dealing in the past.  TN has made it to consecutive sweet 16's.  Something Arkansas hasn't done since 1995. 

And to further back up that point of where TN is compared to Arkansas.  Look at whose on top right now.  Kansas, UCLA, Memphis, North Carolina.  Almost all the players in their starting 5 and 4-5 star players. 
TN has two 5 star players on their team to go with two 4 stars.  With Scotty Hopson looking likely for TN as well and other 4 stars.   For Pel to bring Arkansas back to national prominence like we all want him to and like he says....its not going to be with 3-4 star players.  The facts support that.  He needs to be able to haul in the 5 star guys.  Whether or not he can do that, will determine his success at Arkansas.  Just good or great?

Oh, I didn't know 1994 began in 1995 and went to the present.  Didn't I just present to you the fact that in Tennessee's best years in the history of their program, they average approximately 2 more wins/season than the worst period for Arkansas basketball in 25 years?  Why do we need a bunch of 5-star players to beat Tennessee?  We beat them this year with a bunch of slightly-above-average college basketball players.  Tennessee will have less wins next year than they did this year.  Mark my words, write it down, take a picture....

I think you look stupid trying to say that Tennessee is an elite team, when they haven't really won anything.  Yeah, they went to 2 Sweet 16s in a row (as a 5-seed and a 2-seed).  How far are 2-seeds supposed to go?  How far did they go last time they were a 2-seed?  Hint:  It wasn't the Sweet 16.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 24, 2008, 05:27:32 pm
Oh, I didn't know 1994 began in 1995 and went to the present.  Didn't I just present to you the fact that in Tennessee's best years in the history of their program, they average approximately 2 more wins/season than the worst period for Arkansas basketball in 25 years?  Why do we need a bunch of 5-star players to beat Tennessee?  We beat them this year with a bunch of slightly-above-average college basketball players.  Tennessee will have less wins next year than they did this year.  Mark my words, write it down, take a picture....

I think you look stupid trying to say that Tennessee is an elite team, when they haven't really won anything.  Yeah, they went to 2 Sweet 16s in a row (as a 5-seed and a 2-seed).  How far are 2-seeds supposed to go?  How far did they go last time they were a 2-seed?  Hint:  It wasn't the Sweet 16.
Bold prediction there. I mean if they win 30 games it will be less than this year. DUHHHHH
You wont use when Pearl got there I see. Whats the record since CBP took the helm for the VOLS.

ALLVOL

Waiting for you NON answer. The fact is that each year that CBP came the team has gotten better. It wont stop either as long as he is there. No matter how much you want it to happen.

The Realist

Or take a look at the first 3 years of Pearl's reign in Knoxville vs. the first 3 in Arkansas.
Both programs were in the dumps. 
Childs, Gregory.

Hogginitall

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 24, 2008, 05:32:09 pm
Bold prediction there. I mean if they win 30 games it will be less than this year. DUHHHHH
You wont use when Pearl got there I see. Whats the record since CBP took the helm for the VOLS.

Why?  Weren't you just drooling over who you have coming back next year and all of these great recruits that are coming in?  Why should you win less games?  You mean one of Pearl's teams might regress?

Tennessee's record since Pearl took over is 0-6 (3 SEC Tournaments without even reaching the final game and 3 NCAA Tournaments without making it past the Sweet 16---twice as a 2-seed).  Pretty impressive...

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 24, 2008, 05:36:33 pm
Why?  Weren't you just drooling over who you have coming back next year and all of these great recruits that are coming in?  Why should you win less games?  You mean one of Pearl's teams might regress?

Tennessee's record since Pearl took over is 0-6 (3 SEC Tournaments without even reaching the final game and 3 NCAA Tournaments without making it past the Sweet 16---twice as a 2-seed).  Pretty impressive...
I didnt think you would answer. You dont have the courage to face reality. Nice try and maybe you should join math and go rehearse your Jim Rome "Take". The fact is that we were discussing Pearl and yet you bring in games against him that he didnt even coach! Look at the records since he took over. It wont look so pretty.
Also not drooling over anything. Pearl will continue to win a lot while at UT. Get used to it. Also you keep assuming a UT loss Thursday. May happen may not. But guess what? UT will play again this year! Now drool...

Hogginitall

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 24, 2008, 05:43:07 pm
I didnt think you would answer. You dont have the courage to face reality. Nice try and maybe you should join math and go rehearse your Jim Rome "Take". The fact is that we were discussing Pearl and yet you bring in games against him that he didnt even coach! Look at the records since he took over. It wont look so pretty.
Also not drooling over anything. Pearl will continue to win a lot while at UT. Get used to it. Also you keep assuming a UT loss Thursday. May happen may not. But guess what? UT will play again this year! Now drool...

What is there to "face"?  He has a better record at Tennessee than Arkansas has had over that same period.  But, he hasn't accomplished anything with all of those regular season wins (except winning the SEC regular season title this year---and we all know how important that is).  You'll lose again this weekend wondering why a team that can win 30 games in the regular season can't get past the Sweet 16.  I just don't understand why it is such a big deal that you have more wins than Arkansas over the past 3 years.  Our program is down and we know that.  The sad thing is that Tennessee has averaged 3 more wins per season than Arkansas over that 3-year period and you're extremely excited about it (even though you haven't done crap in the postseason).  Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me..

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 24, 2008, 05:50:27 pm
What is there to "face"?  He has a better record at Tennessee than Arkansas has had over that same period.  But, he hasn't accomplished anything with all of those regular season wins (except winning the SEC regular season title this year---and we all know how important that is).  You'll lose again this weekend wondering why a team that can win 30 games in the regular season can't get past the Sweet 16.  I just don't understand why it is such a big deal that you have more wins than Arkansas over the past 3 years.  Our program is down and we know that.  The sad thing is that Tennessee has averaged 3 more wins per season than Arkansas over that 3-year period and you're extremely excited about it (even though you haven't done crap in the postseason).  Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me..
So the SEC championship means nothing. Hmmmm why do they have one hanging in Fayettville then? Oh thats right because they do mean something. You may not think making it to the Sweet 16 is anything but almost everyone else in the nation does. We are getting better every year. Tough for you to take huh.

Hogginitall

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 24, 2008, 05:55:58 pm
So the SEC championship means nothing. Hmmmm why do they have one hanging in Fayettville then? Oh thats right because they do mean something. You may not think making it to the Sweet 16 is anything but almost everyone else in the nation does. We are getting better every year. Tough for you to take huh.

Not in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't.  Like I said, making it to the Sweet 16 is something, it's just not good enough for a team with 30 wins and a #2 seed in the NCAAT.  That's all I'm saying. 

OKOKOKOK, I give up!  Be happy with your mild success and scream about continued progress and 30 wins whenever they squander away another prime opportunity to make it further than the Sweet 16.  But, can't you find a Tennessee board to do it on?  I mean, it's amusing to sit here and watch you cyber-highfive yourself all day about how many wins Tennessee has this year, but really...talk to me when you've made it past the 2nd weekend.

ALLVOL

You bet there is a UT board to go on and I do. But I am also a Hog fan and will continue to come on here as long as the mods allow. Most on here are very cool. A small minority are not.

Hogginitall

How's it feel to be in that minority?

ALLVOL

Hogginitall

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 24, 2008, 06:01:48 pm
Not in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't.  Like I said, making it to the Sweet 16 is something, it's just not good enough for a team with 30 wins and a #2 seed in the NCAAT.  That's all I'm saying. 

OKOKOKOK, I give up!  Be happy with your mild success and scream about continued progress and 30 wins whenever they squander away another prime opportunity to make it further than the Sweet 16.  But, can't you find a Tennessee board to do it on?  I mean, it's amusing to sit here and watch you cyber-highfive yourself all day about how many wins Tennessee has this year, but really...talk to me when you've made it past the 2nd weekend.

Congrats on a fine season and your REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONSHIP.  Sure means a lot now, doesn't it?

mathhog

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 28, 2008, 12:43:21 am
Congrats on a fine season and your REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONSHIP.  Sure means a lot now, doesn't it?

31 wins and not even an elite 8.... that has to be one of the most wasted seasons in the history of basketball

THIRTY ONE WINS, #1 RANKING, BEATING #1 ON THEIR HOME COURT...

and a sweet 16 to show for it.

they are in the same breath as western kentucky or villanova.

tonight stinks to be a vol!

nice.

The Hog

Quote from: mathhog on March 28, 2008, 12:45:33 am
T31 wins and not even an elite 8.... that has to be one of the most wasted seasons in the history of basketball

nice.
Tennessee was not going to win that game.  Have you been sleeping or reading your history book?  Tennessee just got hammered by the better team.  We pulled the ultimate choke and blowout in the tournament when NC just killed us.  We forgot what basketball was all about.  If Tennessee makes the sweet 16, it shows just where we are today with our program.  One and out.  We better quit worrying about other teams and concentrate on the Hogs.  I guess you living in Memphis with Vol fans and supporting Illinois will not let you rest.

Tennessee fans can say wait till Pearl gets his players.  That is what every team cries when they get a new coach and do not perform.  Think about that one since we like to let Pel ride until he gets his players.  Pearl's players are one junior, several sophomores and several freshmen.  Interesting.

You need to change you name to historyhog.  It fits better than mathhog.  We you posting as allyoucaneatbuffet last year.  Same tune and same topic continuously. 
Automatic RUN!

dclay89

Quote from: The Hog on March 28, 2008, 09:30:57 am
Tennessee was not going to win that game.  Have you been sleeping or reading your history book?  Tennessee just got hammered by the better team.  We pulled the ultimate choke and blowout in the tournament when NC just killed us.

dude, u make no since.. u defend Tennessee by saying they didn't choke and tell us to give credit to Louisville.. then u say we choked.. shouldn't u be saying that we should be giving credit to NC? u can't flip flop to prove a point, it just makes u look stupid..

Albert Einswine

The important thing here is that Tennessee lost.  Let's not let this get lost in all the hubub!

Tennessee = the only SEC team I never pull for against outsiders... not even against Texas,  Ohio St. or Notre Dame.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

ALLVOL

Quote from: mathhog on March 28, 2008, 12:45:33 am
31 wins and not even an elite 8.... that has to be one of the most wasted seasons in the history of basketball

nice.
Not at all. Is it tough to lose a sweet 16 game? You bet. But I'm proud of the team and we will get better. But IT"S GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL!

josh_sec33

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 28, 2008, 04:08:55 pm
Not at all. Is it tough to lose a sweet 16 game? You bet. But I'm proud of the team and we will get better. But IT"S GREAT TO BE A LADY TENNESSEE VOL!

Fixed that for ya. That team doesn't lose in the Sweet 16. Ever. I will give Pat respect because she has shown people how to win.

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Hogginitall

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 28, 2008, 04:08:55 pm
Not at all. Is it tough to lose a sweet 16 game? You bet. But I'm proud of the team and we will get better. But IT"S GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL!

HA!  Exactly how I said Tennessee fans would act AFTER THE TEAM SQUANDERED AWAY ANOTHER SEASON BEFORE EVEN MAKING IT TO THE ELITE 8!

Hogginitall

Hihog

Psss on Stallings and for that matter Pearl too, both coaches and teams were overrated and showed it in the sect and ncaat, h--l Pel beat both the bsstrds, KS twice!

mathhog

March 29, 2008, 10:12:29 pm #89 Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 10:18:39 pm by mathhog
Quote from: ALLVOL on March 24, 2008, 04:20:07 pm
What are the records since Pearl has gotten to UT? I mean since that is what we're talking about. How many NCAAT wins do each have?

I don't expect an answer.

Here's your answer.  Let's examine it from every angle... give you vols more ways to have "moral victories"...

last 3 years pre-selection sunday

2006 pre-ncaa... pearl wins 20, heath wins 22
2007 pre-ncaa... pearl wins 22, heath wins 21
2008 pre-ncaa... pearl wins 28, new coach & new system wins 22

WOW... what a disparity....

what's amazing is that knoxville has crowned pearl a god, while heath had nearly the EXACT SAME RESULTS and got fired for it.   call it 'expectations' of the school with the 2nd best tradition in the sec (hint, that's arkansas, not the vols unlike what your boards say lol)

---------------------------------------------------------
what about the ncaaT?
2006 - pearl as a 2 SEED... needs a buzzer beater to beat 15 seed winthrop, blown out by 10 seed wichita state (struggled with 2 really really bad seeds, lost to one, nearly became just the fifth 2 seed to lose in round 1 ever)  prognosis?  HORRIBLE showing.

2006 - heath as a 8 SEED... bizzare day with nine second half FTS missed (including one-and-ones) ends in four point loss to 9 seed bucknell (even though hogs have a chance to tie with 30 seconds left)  prognosis?  disappointing to fan base, but not 'bad'... the 8-9 games are tossups, and this bucknell team beat kansas the tourney before

2007 - pearl as a 5 seed... throttle 12 seed long beach, barely beat virginia, build 20 pt second lead to ohio state and BLOW A 20 POINT LEAD...  prognosis?  good for a sweet 16, horrible in terms of morale... to give up 20 pt lead in a single half is inexcusable

2007 - heath as a 12 seed...  after three wins and four games in four days in the SECTourney, hogs run into 5 seed USC. uninspiring loss to a team that whips texas and takes 1 seed north carolina to the ropes.  prognosis?  again, disappointing for fans, but in "basketball world", the 12 seed did what the 12 seed was supposed to do -- lose to the 5

2008 - pearl as a 2 seed... struggle mightily with 15 seed 'american' until four minutes left, blow 15 pt lead to 7 seed butler, uncalled goaltend gives vols "wins" in overtime, horrible performance to lower-seeded 3 seed louisville, loss.   prognosis?  pitiful, selfish play against THREE teams seeded MUCH lower than the vols, losing to the cardinals

2008 - pelphrey as a 9 seed...  easily dispatch higher seeded (but 8-9 is basically even) indiana team by double digits, demolished by north carolina (who is 24-1 in the ncaat in north carolina and until the elite 8 hasn't had a game closer than 20 points)   prognosis?  good for the fans, good win against indy, and loss to unc was 'supposed' to happen.

Overall prognosis?

Hogs have 3 tourneys of doing what was expected (losing to much higher seeds, splitting our 8-9 games)

Vols have 3 tourneys, 3 games of ALMOST monumental upsets as a 2 seed, 2 BLOWOUT losses to lower seeded teams ('unexpected'), and 1 "choke job" by giving up 20 pts in less than 20 minutes of play.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but in those terms, even heath OWNED pearl

-----------------------------------------------------------
How about the sectourney?
2006 - Vols: win the east, lose on day 1 to horrible carolina team that goes to no ncaas (lost to lower seeded team unexpectedly)
2006 - Hogs: throttle georgia, lose to eventual champion florida by 3 in a close game thruout (did what was expected)

2007 - Vols: lose to the absolute worst team in the sec in LSU on day one (lost to VASTLY lower seeded team unexpectedly)
2007 - Hogs: beat carolina, top 25 vandy, west champion missstate, lose to eventual back-to-back champion florida (WON UNexpectedly on friday & saturday in the tourney, lost in 'expected' loss to NCAA champ florida)

2008 - Vols: need buzzer beater to beat horrible south carolina, lose to unrakned arkansas... after winning the entire league by two games (lose to vastly inferior team unexpectedly)
2008 - Hogs: beat top 15 vandy, top 5 tennessee, make secfinal, lose to georgia unexpectedly (though in fairness, it was on georgia's "HOME COURT" in the midst of a miracle tornado-laden run).  nevertheless, losing to georgia was a "lower seeded unexpected" loss

overall prognosis?
Hogs - 3 years, 4 games of winning when we SHOULD win or losing when we SHOULD lose (a good thing), 4 games of winning when we SHOULDN'T WIN ( a very good thing ), and a single game (georgia) that we lost when we should have won (assuming we forget about the whole tornado thing)
Vols - 3 years, 3 games of LOSING when you should WIN ( a very very bad thing ), and 1 game (south carolina buzzer beater) of winning when you should win

ADVANTAGE? ARKANSAS

PEARL'S VOLS? CHOKE!

and Unbelievably...
Advantage... HEATH!! :)

ALLVOL

Your hatred and Jealousy of UT is funny. You're common and act a lot more like a bammer fan than any Hog fan I know.

Heath owned Pearl? Hilarious!

mathhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 30, 2008, 07:11:41 pm
Your hatred and Jealousy of UT is funny. You're common and act a lot more like a bammer fan than any Hog fan I know.

um... look at the above... things we call "facts"...

ncaat, regular season, sectourney... what more do you want?

VOLS have SEVERELY underachived, HOGS have played even or even OVERachieved

funny thing is, the vol fans are wetting themselves with choking mediocrity, and hog fans got stan fired even though we did what was expected (or a bit better) most of the time.

I love how when you are totally schooled on things like "reality" and "basketball", you just call me a 'bammer fan'.

news flash... arkansas doesnt care about some 'bama-vols' rivalry from 1958.... when you say 'bammer fan', i (along with all of arkansas) has neither a clue nor a care what that means.

again, care to refute my facts 2 posts above?

i thought not... vol fans..... FAILING to meet expectations since 2005

Hogginitall

March 30, 2008, 09:57:41 pm #92 Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:59:26 pm by Hogginitall
Quote from: ALLVOL on March 30, 2008, 07:11:41 pm

What is there for Arkansas fans to be jealous of regarding Tennessee basketball?  Oh, how I wish we never made it past the Sweet 16.  Oh, I really wish we could NEVER make it to Saturday of the conference tournament (you FINALLY got a chance to do that this year).  Oh, why can't our main color be the ugliest color ever created?  Why can't we look like we're going to the deer woods when we get together to cheer for our team?