Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FWIW

Started by RedSatinHog, March 31, 2013, 09:12:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSatinHog

Baylor lost to Louisville in the NCAAW Tourney tonight.

Most of you probably caught it already.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Porked Tongue

Maybe I can watch some games now that Groiner is out.

hoglady

That was a crazy game. Louisville blew a 19 point 2nd half lead, let Baylor take it's first lead with around a minute left and then somehow pulled out the win. Managed to do it with 3 of their best players on the bench fouled out.
I never did see what the Louisville coach did to get the late technical, but it sure couldn't have been any worse than what Mulkey did close to the end of the game - that did not garner a T.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hoglady on March 31, 2013, 10:48:17 pm

...I never did see what the Louisville coach did to get the late technical, but it sure couldn't have been any worse than what Mulkey did close to the end of the game - that did not garner a T.

Exactly...Mulkey should have been "T'd" up for sure with the way she ran out on the court carrying-on. Pitiful. Some of the Baylor players were about as bad.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hoglady on March 31, 2013, 10:48:17 pm
That was a crazy game. Louisville blew a 19 point 2nd half lead, let Baylor take it's first lead with around a minute left and then somehow pulled out the win. Managed to do it with 3 of their best players on the bench fouled out.
I never did see what the Louisville coach did to get the late technical, but it sure couldn't have been any worse than what Mulkey did close to the end of the game - that did not garner a T.

He went into a tirade on one of the officials over a bad call on one of his players.  Strangely enough, when Kim Mulkey was in the post-game presser, she was really quick to blow up about all the calls she didn't agree with on her team, but conveniently left out that what they teed up Coach Walz for, they let her off.  There wasn't a whole lot of difference between the two, except that Mulkey was ripping her clothes off during her fit.  The officiating was lousy in the game all the way around.  It wasn't at all one-sided.

Also, Baylor's first lead in the entire game came with 0:09 seconds to go.

nationwish

I wonder how much being a male coach has to do with that. I don't know what ref he got into, but I could see some refs being quicker to blow the whistle against a man yelling at a woman rather than a woman yelling at a ref. Hopefully that wasn't the case, though.

The call that got Mulkey upset was pretty bad, though. The Louisville player who made the great shot over Griner should have also been given a technical. I'm all for talking some trash, but she went out of her way to get into Griner and taunt her after that one. That was one of the first women's games I watched this year and I was really surprised at how much griping and talking back the players did. There was a lot more from the women than would ever be tolerated in the men's game.

I was also surprised at the lack of fundamentals in the man to man defense from Baylor. They kept turning their back on the ball to cover someone. There were multiple occasions that a defender didn't see a ball handler take an open drive to the basket because their back was turned. It looked like they've relied completely on Griner to block shots on drives.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: nationwish on April 01, 2013, 08:31:47 am

The call that got Mulkey upset was pretty bad, though.

I felt that charging call on Jordan Madden was the appropriate call, but the whistle for it was very late, and from that standpoint, I can see why it upset her so much.

The foul they whistled on the Louisville player during the scramble for the loose ball on the floor was hideous.  That was a free ball, and each player was simply trying to get control of the ball.  As I said earlier, the officiating was equally poor on both sides of the ball.

hoglady

Quote from: RedSatinHog on April 01, 2013, 08:43:52 am
I felt that charging call on Jordan Madden was the appropriate call, but the whistle for it was very late, and from that standpoint, I can see why it upset her so much.

The foul they whistled on the Louisville player during the scramble for the loose ball on the floor was hideous.  That was a free ball, and each player was simply trying to get control of the ball.  As I said earlier, the officiating was equally poor on both sides of the ball.

I love Mulkey. Used to watch her play point for La. Tech (with her long braided pigtails). She was absolutely one of the best point guards I've ever seen play. I wasn't pulling for either team at first, but I hated to see all those Louisville players foul out. That was a rough game and Griner played pretty passive the whole game - never really adjusted. It was quite fun watching Louisville hit those long bombs time after time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

The elite eight is truly a Big East / SEC showdown.
Not a Big 12 team in sight.

Kentucky / UConn
Tenn / Louisville
Georgia / Cal
Duke / Notre Dame

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hoglady on April 01, 2013, 09:48:14 am
I love Mulkey. Used to watch her play point for La. Tech (with her long braided pigtails). She was absolutely one of the best point guards I've ever seen play. I wasn't pulling for either team at first, but I hated to see all those Louisville players foul out. That was a rough game and Griner played pretty passive the whole game - never really adjusted. It was quite fun watching Louisville hit those long bombs time after time.

Yeah, I agree.  I think Louisville came and played an in-your-face-and-not-backing-down style, and it clearly was something which Baylor was uncomfortable with, at least until Louisville's players started fouling out.  When Baylor took the lead late, I really thought they'd pull it out.

hoglady

Quote from: RedSatinHog on April 01, 2013, 10:05:27 am
Yeah, I agree.  I think Louisville came and played an in-your-face-and-not-backing-down style, and it clearly was something which Baylor was uncomfortable with, at least until Louisville's players started fouling out.  When Baylor took the lead late, I really thought they'd pull it out.

I did, too.
And thanks for correcting me on the time left when Baylor took their first lead.
It was sure fun to watch.
I will be pulling for Tennessee the rest of the way - would like to see them win one for Pat Summit this year. I don't know what her health status is right now or how fast her disease is progressing.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hoglady on April 01, 2013, 10:40:13 am
I did, too.
And thanks for correcting me on the time left when Baylor took their first lead.
It was sure fun to watch.
I will be pulling for Tennessee the rest of the way - would like to see them win one for Pat Summit this year. I don't know what her health status is right now or how fast her disease is progressing.

That would be kind of neat, but I'm pulling for Notre Dame.  I like watching Skylar Diggins play (for that matter, I like watching her do just about anything because she's adorable), but please don't mistake that to mean that I'm a ND fan.  Far from it.

hoglady

Quote from: RedSatinHog on April 01, 2013, 10:53:54 am
That would be kind of neat, but I'm pulling for Notre Dame.  I like watching Skylar Diggins play (for that matter, I like watching her do just about anything because she's adorable), but please don't mistake that to mean that I'm a ND fan.  Far from it.

Actually I'll be pleased if it's anyone but Duke or UConn.

RedSatinHog

I will agree, though.  That was one of the hardest-fought women's games I'd watched in some time, and count me in the category of people who are glad to not be watching Griner any more. 

hog63

I thought Mulkey showed her true colors in the post game news conference in calling out the ref's. She showed NO CLASS what so ever!!!

I wish someone would have asked her why you didn't have your team ready to play against a team that was a 24pt underdog. Louisville took it to them the whole game and yes they had some calls go against them but they most certainly had calls go their way that let them back in the ballgame.