Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I love this team

Started by Biggus Piggus, November 10, 2017, 10:48:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

This game was fun to watch. Arkansas looked absolutely great for game one. This team is going to be competitive in every game, if health and depth hold up. Great diversity of skills, good strength, good quickness, great wingspans and leaping ability, solid defensive ability. This team is capable of a lot. It's the best one Anderson has had at Arkansas. Hands down.
[CENSORED]!

alohawg

I concur, great potential. Go hogs!!!
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Hollywood_HOGan45

Cannot wait for Sunday night!!!

NationalChamps2017

I'm just as excited about what we were able to see as you are. However, I will wait till the end of November before I can decide how good we are. With that said, that's the most impressive I've seen a Hog team on opening night in a while. I thought we played fast, but with control, defensive rotations looked better, the players look like GROWN MEN, and I thought most of our guys showed confidence. Now I don't know if Samford was that bad, or if we were that good, but we definately passed the eye test tonight! Can't wait to get the season go full steam ahead!

HogFoo

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 10, 2017, 10:48:07 pm
This game was fun to watch. Arkansas looked absolutely great for game one. This team is going to be competitive in every game, if health and depth hold up. Great diversity of skills, good strength, good quickness, great wingspans and leaping ability, solid defensive ability. This team is capable of a lot. It's the best one Anderson has had at Arkansas. Hands down.
totally agree.  this team is much better than I anticipated.   Samford was supposed to give the Hogs a good test, but that was no test at all.  Even with us being shorthanded, we destroyed them in every way.  And we even turned it down a notch with a lot of time to go left in the game.  How Macon and Barford only made the 2nd team  is crazy.  Those guys have a chip on their shoulders and I hope they keep it all season long!   It looks like Thompson is a gamer in that he seems to perform better when its game time.  Night and day difference as to how he looked in exhibition games.  He looked tonight like I was expecting him to look for the season. I was kind of worried with the way he looked in exhibition games , but Thompson came to play tonight.  Good for him and good for the Hogs!   I was happy to see Adrio and CJ getting things done too!  We really need those two to step up and provide us some scoring minutes!  The more I see of Gafford the more I think he will be a 1 & done.  Man he has a quick hop!  i heard the players saying Gafford was like a kangaroo, and my goodness, he sure looks like one with the way he can just sky for a block or dunk!  And how quickly he can do it!   dang.  bodes well for us!  I was just telling a friend that it wouldn't surprise me if Gafford broke steven Hills block record as a frosh!  anyways, i'm anxious to see how well we do against Bucknell.   That will be another early test.  i doubt that we will destroy them like we did Samford, but, it wouldn't surprise me if we beat them by 15pts+ 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

moses_007

Most impressive performance ever in the first game for a Hog basketball team.  We fans needed this after the football fiasco.

Biggus Piggus

I am watching this game over and over on Watch ESPN. Goodness what a great game. Beautiful team. Mike Anderson has done a great job. I love the halfcourt defense. Fantastic.
[CENSORED]!

forrest city joe

+1000.they looked outstanding.still a lot to work on.but the talent is there.GO HOGS.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 10, 2017, 11:49:12 pm
I am watching this game over and over on Watch ESPN. Goodness what a great game. Beautiful team. Mike Anderson has done a great job. I love the halfcourt defense. Fantastic.
I love it.+1000 again.

hawgball40

I was at the game. The ball movement and defense really stuck out to me. especially with gafford and hall on the court at the same time. This team passes the ball much better than previous teams.

a couple things i noticed:

- macon was on fire to start the game and then disappeared for the rest of the game offensively(possibly to get more shots to other team mates). he was still getting after it on defense and collected several d rebounds. he had several rondo-esque passes that resulted in dunks.
- the team rebounded the ball extremely well, especially offensive rebounds. very impressed.
- beard has definitely lost some weight
- beard has terrible floor vision. he missed cj jones wide open in the corner twice and gafford wide open on a back cut. also could have threw an oop to thompson but took the layup instead. other than that, he played well. his on ball defense was pretty solid.
- barford looked disengaged offensively and his shot wasn't falling. still hustled and played great defense. had a nasty slam. looks like he's lost some weight and upped his vertical. he looked very athletic.
- gafford is a beast without much offensive skill. think willy cauley stein. he's a little foul prone but his length bothered samford. dunks everything in sight, athleticism is off the charts. he tried to post up a few times but he really doesn't have any moves yet.
- we did a good job at defending the 3 and disrupting their offense in the first half.. second half,we took our foot off the gas, and the defense started to break down some as mike experimented with different lineups.
- regardless of the lineup, we seemed to move the ball fairly well on offense. they must have a good week at practice.
- bailey had a very good game.
- hall and osabuehien(sp?) are both very good defensively. definitely sec caliber athletes.
- cj jones hit a couple of big 3s but had a few more rim out. probably had the most impressive dunk of the night, his head was way above the rim on an alley oop.

rzrbackramsfan

The leadership we have from barford, Macon, beard and Thompson along with all the their pieces is very very dangerous day one, just as I've been saying for months.

rzrbackramsfan

We're really freaking good

hawgrunner

HogsonHicks

Quote from: moses_007 on November 10, 2017, 11:44:38 pm
Most impressive performance ever in the first game for a Hog basketball team.  We fans needed this after the football fiasco.

It was a great game, no doubt...but ever?  Slow your roll just a bit.

Hawg Red

The Hogs looked like they were about halfway into the season last night. Remember, we had a narrow victory over Fort Wayne to start last season and they have usually started slow in terms of cohesiveness and chemistry. And this was 3 men down, too. Very good signs to start the season.

The_Iceman

Need Garland and Thomas back soon.

Letsroll1200

What stood out is the unselfish play on the both ends of the floor. The Razorbacks got a big game from Bailey. If this team can get 14 points from the 4 position every night they are going to really good.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

94 Hawg

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Biggus Piggus link=topic=Eason646749.msg11106342#msg11106342 date=1510379352
You're right Mike has done a great job this past offseason.  Kids looked polished.  This looks like his most athletic team he's had here.  Reminds me of his UAB team that was so good.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

PonderinHog

I'm learning to love this team.  Love Lesson #1 was borderline erotic.  If they want my unconditional love, they need to improve at the free throw line (+75%) and Gafford (who looks like Todd Day, BTW) needs to stay out of foul trouble.  Those two things will make or break this team when the going gets tough.

This could be one of those years, folks.

rude1

I was little concerned after the preseason, just didn't seem the pieces were fitting together very well, showing up with committing lots of turnovers. Last night was a pleasure to watch as the guys all seemed to fill their roles seamlessly, it was impressive to watch the guys play as a unit and take a very good Samford team apart early and not let them off the deck the entire game. Players seemed to take turns having "their moment" and not looking to be the star of the game. Can't wait to see more.

Danny J

As my Dad and I sat there and watched the game we noted how well our defense rotated. Granted Samford isn't Duke but still a solid and experienced team. The passing on the offensive end was equally as good with very unselfish play. Hopefully tomorrow will be more of the same.

HawgsPolo

Definitely the best backcourt and in college hoops guards can go a long way.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Hollywood_HOGan45

This was such a beautiful sight for Hog Fans that have been through a lot of disappointment with the football team.

I may watch this game again during the LSU football game.

jjdlc

No doubt Gifford is good, I just don't think he is lottery pick good yet.  If he stays another year, and improves his low post moves, he very well could be.  We'll see by the end of the year, but if he isn't impatient to  get to the league I think staying could pay huge dividends for him.

hoglady

Definitely the most talented and athletic team MA has had here.
Every player played with max effort and we sure fought hard on the boards.
These guys will be fun to watch and the young ones should only get better.
The potential of this team is exciting.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GuvHog

Quote from: jjdlc on November 11, 2017, 07:56:21 am
No doubt Gifford is good, I just don't think he is lottery pick good yet.  If he stays another year, and improves his low post moves, he very well could be.  We'll see by the end of the year, but if he isn't impatient to  get to the league I think staying could pay huge dividends for him.

Agreed. He has a ways to go on offense but he plays defense well.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

BannerMountainMan

I thought Gafford was one of the worst players on the floor last night, well that could combine with his low post play, free throw shooting, and foul trouble, but he is very long and athletic and can alter almost every shot inside! He'll get better and he potential is through the roof!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Youngsta71701

Who said he was a lottery pick?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Letsroll1200

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 11, 2017, 08:02:35 am
I thought Gafford was one of the worst players on the floor last night, well that could combine with his low post play, free throw shooting, and foul trouble, but he is very long and athletic and can alter almost every shot inside! He'll get better and he potential is through the roof!

If you thought Gafford was one of the worst players after watching the game you are disqualified from posting on basketball. His effort, energy abd ability to catch the passes was very good. Last season Kingsley was fumbling and not catching good passes from Macon. I agree he's not polished on offense but he's a difference maker.

rtr

I too, love this team.  This maybe our most talented team in a long long time.  They look like a team that could make a deep tournament run, I am sure there will be ups and downs though.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 11, 2017, 07:11:52 am
I'm learning to love this team.  Love Lesson #1 was borderline erotic.  If they want my unconditional love, they need to improve at the free throw line (+75%) and Gafford (who looks like Todd Day, BTW) needs to stay out of foul trouble.  Those two things will make or break this team when the going gets tough.

This could be one of those years, folks.
Preach it, Trey Thompson will be the key to how good we are IMO, if he can play 25-30 minutes and be effective we can compete with the good teams. Gafford is going to have Freshman struggles playing down low, I think he is going to struggle with foul trouble and beef. Thrilled to have him, but would love to have 25-30 pounds more of him.

Mizzou has a Freshman that will take.him to the woodshed I am afraid named Tilmon, dude looked like a beast last night. Also ATM looked like they now have potential at guard, and that team minus Robert Williams and another Freshman guard, looked like a FF team last night. I said it last year though on paper and the eye test they looked like the deepest team in the league, their only issue was poor to average guard play, now they have 2 new Freshman and a transfer from Marquette so look out.

SPAL

Gafford was the worst player on the floor? Wow.

I thought he looked good for a freshman in his first real game. He will have ups and downs cause he is a freshman but in no way was he the worst player.

The Hogfather

In his 1st game, he had 10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 blocks in 17 minutes.  He shot 67% from the floor.  No doubt he has to learn how to play D without fouling, but goodness is it crazy to say he was anything other that impressive.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 11, 2017, 09:43:07 am
Gafford was the worst player on the floor? Wow.

I thought he looked good for a freshman in his first real game. He will have ups and downs cause he is a freshman but in no way was he the worst player.
one of the worst I explained. That's not saying much because everybody looked great last night!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Pinto

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 11, 2017, 09:42:41 am
Preach it, Trey Thompson will be the key to how good we are IMO, if he can play 25-30 minutes and be effective we can compete with the good teams. Gafford is going to have Freshman struggles playing down low, I think he is going to struggle with foul trouble and beef. Thrilled to have him, but would love to have 25-30 pounds more of him.

Mizzou has a Freshman that will take.him to the woodshed I am afraid named Tilmon, dude looked like a beast last night. Also ATM looked like they now have potential at guard, and that team minus Robert Williams and another Freshman guard, looked like a FF team last night. I said it last year though on paper and the eye test they looked like the deepest team in the league, their only issue was poor to average guard play, now they have 2 new Freshman and a transfer from Marquette so look out.

This is a silly post lol

bigred223

If he's one of our worst, then we will be in the final four.

Athog

Yes sir!!

The Hogfather

Trey Thompson was awesome last night.  If he can play like that in most games, we'll be very good.  8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal.

Pinto

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 11, 2017, 09:56:03 am
Trey Thimpson was awesome last night.  If he can play like that in most games, we'll be very good.  8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal.

I agree. Trey looked great last night after looking awful in the two exhibition games. Hopefully last night was how he will continue to look but I'm not counting on it

razorback1829

Quote from: Pinto on November 11, 2017, 09:58:16 am
I agree. Trey looked great last night after looking awful in the two exhibition games. Hopefully last night was how he will continue to look but I'm not counting on it

Actually to the contrary, I think last nite was the Thompson we'll see most of the year. His strength of being a defacto point forward is a mismatch most games. And if he can continue to knock down that mid range jumper.. he'll be in good shape.

rude1

Quote from: Danny J on November 11, 2017, 07:40:45 am
As my Dad and I sat there and watched the game we noted how well our defense rotated. Granted Samford isn't Duke but still a solid and experienced team. The passing on the offensive end was equally as good with very unselfish play. Hopefully tomorrow will be more of the same.
Though Samford isn't a great team, it is exactly the type of team we have struggled with in the past. An experienced team, that could slow us down and slice our defense up in the half court game, especially from behind the arc.

thebignasty

Tough for the the suspended kids, but I think Adrio Bailey is going to take their jobs while they cant play. I love his athleticism and energy.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

bigred223

Quote from: thebignasty on November 11, 2017, 10:53:36 am
Tough for the the suspended kids, but I think Adrio Bailey is going to take their jobs while they cant play. I love his athleticism and energy.

Like him over Thomas, but we still need Thomas for depth.

thebignasty

Quote from: bigred223 on November 11, 2017, 10:59:57 am
Like him over Thomas, but we still need Thomas for depth.
absolutely agree
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on November 11, 2017, 10:51:04 am
Though Samford isn't a great team, it is exactly the type of team we have struggled with in the past. An experienced team, that could slow us down and slice our defense up in the half court game, especially from behind the arc.
Yep and over the previous 2 days I posted how worried I was about Samford for the exact reasons you mentioned. The fact we played like we did was very eye opening. This team has some real potential and I don't say that lightly

rwspear

what game did you watch?

hawgball40

Quote from: rwspear on November 11, 2017, 11:30:44 am
what game did you watch?
ignore him. i'm pretty certain he's a UK wildcats fan. (i've been reading this board as long as he's been posting so)

jjdlc

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 11, 2017, 09:11:00 am
Who said he was a lottery pick?

No one, I said I believe he has the potential to be one given time to develop.  Also said it's up  to him how patient he can be to get there.  If he were to wait and become a lottery pick, it would be worth millions to him.