Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP. Pictures on my old computer.

Started by LZH, May 03, 2014, 10:27:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

I have an old load calc program that I've always liked so I hooked it up this week.  I forgot that I have dozens of pictures on there.  Pics of jobs we did, pics of my old house, and lots of pics of my daughter when she was young.  It's a 1998 computer and it runs on Windows '99 (I think).

I have tried burning a CD with the pics on it and loading them into one of my new computers but none of the software matches up and my new computers do not recognize the files.  I hate to leave those pics and some of those old files that I could still use just sitting there forever.  What would you guys do?

East Clintwood

Probably the easiest way would be to pull the hard drive out of the old machine and hook it up to one of your newer computers as a 2nd drive.  It's probably an IDE drive though so most newer computers can't use it directly.  You could buy an external IDE/USB drive enclosure and connect it that way.  They're fairly cheap -- $15 to $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Connectland-External-Enclosure-3-5-Inch-CL-ENC35008/dp/B002MUGUFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401117689&sr=8-2&keywords=external+hd+enclosure+ide+usb
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Breems

Quote from: East Clintwood on May 26, 2014, 10:24:19 am
Probably the easiest way would be to pull the hard drive out of the old machine and hook it up to one of your newer computers as a 2nd drive.  It's probably an IDE drive though so most newer computers can't use it directly.  You could buy an external IDE/USB drive enclosure and connect it that way.  They're fairly cheap -- $15 to $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Connectland-External-Enclosure-3-5-Inch-CL-ENC35008/dp/B002MUGUFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401117689&sr=8-2&keywords=external+hd+enclosure+ide+usb

Not necessary if you can access the files in the first place.

What format are the old files in? It's probably just an old format not recognized by modern PCs that can be easily viewed with an extensible photo viewer.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />