Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hillis and the other RB's

Started by SultanofSwine, September 03, 2005, 09:52:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SultanofSwine

Obviously, I may have to reconsider my previous thoughts on PH running from the TB spot. Hell of a game from Hillis. Sounds like the pub on the FR Dynamic Duo is on the money too. And I was happy to hear DH get it going in the second half. It sounds like maybe he's got his burst back. Props to the Oline too for keeping the running lanes open all night.

RB rotation has lots of flexibilty from the sounds of it eventhough this was not against great competition. Hillis and Howard provide a lot of power and quickness and Jones and McFadden bring quickness and power. Hell mix and match and pound on folks may be a good plan all year.

hawgfan_18

It'd be nice to have a OC like Al Borges from auburn, we know he knows how to use multiple RBs

Tomhog™

The passing game is bound to get better.  I think we will be able to put points up against any opponent.  The question is can we put more on the board than the defense will give up... 

hawgfan_18

I expected the Defense to be better than it was, remember this was a Div 1-AA.  NC State must have had some athletes on their defense before Herring got there.

Oklahawg

I must have been at a different game.

Hillis ran well but two fumbles are inexcuseable. I'll be curious to see if HDN follows his time-tested mantra of "if you fumble, you don't play". Hillis ran smart and surprisingly fast.

Howard was the 4th best back on the field. Maybe lower, since Poole played well, and even Dickerson at the end ran with better vision and a better first step. Howard should have scored easily on the long run. He struggled to get to the LOS before the hole started to close. In the SEC, that hole will be closed.

McFadden has a nice little wiggle, doesn't he? He ran well and I appreciate the willingness to lower his head and move the pile forward.

Jones was clearly the best RB tonight. Of course, since no one was within 10 yards of him on that long TD run that is easy to say. He had a burst that was missing from the offense last year, and showed a better burst than McFadden, in my opinion. He doesn't have the bulk to go over them like McFadden, though.

The stable is as good as we hoped it would be.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: hawgfan_18 on September 03, 2005, 11:13:35 pm
I expected the Defense to be better than it was, remember this was a Div 1-AA. NC State must have had some athletes on their defense before Herring got there.

Remember that running back was a transfer from Georgia, a D1 school.  That running back and number 3 freaking was the reason they were ever in that game.  Our coverage was much improved and our dline was quick to get on the guys outside and inside.  I was not unhappy with our defense.  I was not impressed but i was not unhappy.

My favorite part about the defense was when we recovered the second fumble after the guy got a 20 yard run and the defense comes over celebrating.  Herring looks at them and says "What are you celebrating for?  Sit your asses DOWN! That guy just ran all over you."  He proceeds to pull out his board to diagrahm and proceeds to break the board in half as he punches it. I just laughed my ass off.

I love that guy