Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Defense Still Sucks!!!

Started by PoconoHog, September 03, 2005, 08:08:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PoconoHog

Good thing we are playing a "less than superior team" tonight. It's going to be a terribly long season.
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

hogsgrl09

sadly i agree.

but theres still hope. lol
"The really amazing part, to me, was when Florida made it into the Final Four, the Democrats didn't demand a recount."
"I know Jesus Christ died for my sins, and that's all I really need to know."

HighOnHogs

They are just playing to their competition.  I hope.

Thehammer

Quote from: HighOnHogs on September 03, 2005, 08:11:01 pm
They are just playing to their competition. I hope.

Our offense ain't far behind. 

PerryHog

A D2 team just went 85 for 6 against us with the draw.

Houston will be so proud.

PoconoHog

If we don't "bend over" and quickly extract our head out of our !#%...we will just be another Oklahoma today. Need to get Howard out of the game...and play the "best offensive personnel"..
before this game gets more "interesting" than it is.
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Turnberry

This is freaking ridiculous, we should be destroying them. 
aka PlanoHog

PoconoHog

If we don't make "drastic" improvement during the next week....I think that we need to be a "little" concerned about Vandy. Perhaps we can "out score" them....but I have doubts as to the Hogs ability to limit their scoring.

Bomis Hawg

Defense is better than last year.  Last year, they'd be arm-tackled them to death -- leading to more points.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Thehammer

Quote from: HoopHog on September 03, 2005, 08:31:10 pm
Quote from: Thehammer on September 03, 2005, 08:11:56 pm

Well, I guess we'd better cancel any games that are played in the rain.   C'mon man.   I've seen so many games played in the rain and teams that don't turn it over --  you're excuse is embarassing.   Just to clue you in, we're playing a 1-AA school.   There is NO excuse for this game being close.   Wet grass and footballs are part of the game.

You are as bad as Tulsahawg for Christ's sake!!

Uh Hoop.   Hate to break this to you, but one of the first rules of football is....   you have to play football in the rain.  Footballs get wet when it's raining -- that's a pure natural fact.

Your lisening to a different game. Orther than a wet field and a wet ball helping raise the turnover ratio of this game, our offense has played well.
Quote from: HoopHog on September 03, 2005, 08:31:10 pm
Quote from: Thehammer on September 03, 2005, 08:11:56 pm

Your lisening to a different game. Orther than a wet field and a wet ball helping raise the turnover ratio of this game, our offense has played well.

PoconoHog

Guys...I think (and pray) that the raw ability is there for most of the personnel on the defensive side of the ball...perhaps it's just "first game jitters"...thats what most will say about the turnovers made by the offense. I haven't posted often...but for those wondering...I'm neither a "
nuthogger" or someone who thinks he should have been fired long before now. I'm not wearing my glasses at the moment...broke them..so please forgive misspelled words...can't see the screen well enough to "spell check".

Thehammer

Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on September 03, 2005, 08:44:21 pm
The answer to our problem: 'THE CITADEL SOLUTION,' in the morning!

I second that emotion JWH.

Bomis Hawg

Well, tough luck guys.  He'll be there for every post-game Monday this year.

Want to call for the head of another coach, go ahead.

PoconoHog

Perhaps my earlier comments about "why is Howard in the game" were a little "off target".
He now has over the century mark on "yardage gained". Just my opinion...I don't think he is one of the top three backs.

BigPapaHawg

I haven't seen any of the game, but from what I have heard. It sounds like other than a couple of series, our defense hasn't done bad and doesn't suck!

GO HOGS!     :razorback:
WOO PIG

PoconoHog

Gentlemen (I use that term loosely)...my wish is that the Hogs can manage to "outscore" everyone until such time that the defense can "jell" and perform up to SEC standards. I have no excuse for the negative content of the subject matter of this post...guess I was more than a little "pissed" at having to listen to the game on the Missouri State "net". (I won't even bring Mr. Bud or his cousin Jose  into the topic) Everyone have a great holiday weekend.

hogsgrl09

"The really amazing part, to me, was when Florida made it into the Final Four, the Democrats didn't demand a recount."
"I know Jesus Christ died for my sins, and that's all I really need to know."

BigPapaHawg

Quote from: HoopHog on September 03, 2005, 09:21:08 pm
Quote from: BigPapaHawg on September 03, 2005, 09:12:08 pm
I haven't seen any of the game, but from what I have heard. It sounds like other than a couple of series, our defense hasn't done bad and doesn't suck!

GO HOGS! :razorback:

The major point now, Big Papa Hawg is that as they watch game films on MOnday they work from their mistakes and show improvments. We had a lot of new players out there...new to different positions and new as in green behind the ears. So, now we have to move forward and improve.

Great point I can't wait to see what kind of improvements they can make for nest weeks game!......WPS!
WOO PIG

Sanctified Swine

our team won 49-17 and you are calling for the coaches head and comparing it the Citadel game? I don't get it

tophawg19

our defensejust gave up 17 points and a ridiculous amount of yardage to a mid level d2 team . 2 big plays and at one point the score was 28/ 17 . not good with what we face the next 3 weeks . the rb's may have played even better than advertised .great job by the o-line .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jabohog

Quote from: HoopHog on September 03, 2005, 09:21:08 pm
green behind the ears.

That's a new one on me Hoop. I assume that means their still a little wet. LOL

krack1925

I left in the 4th and MSU had hung over 300 yards on us....  Not good.  Off tackle was KILLING us.  That draw for 80 yards made me want to puke......

D did not look good.

The O had lots of ways to attack but RoJo didn't look good but passes were dropped so...  Jones was GREAT. 
Great young back

lunchbox72703

so what if MSU hung 300+ on us....How much did UAB hang on Tennesee?  How much did GA Tech hang on Auburn?  The point is, we won, and we won big.  Second teamer defensive guys got some game experience, hence 300+ yards.  I can't believe the treason in this room.  How can a so called fan of Razorback Sports not take one day to celebrate a win before they completley take the wind out of its sail and deflate it with deconstructive criticism?  Explain this to me!!!!

lunchbox72703

by the way, UAB hung 335 total yards on #3 Tennesee, with a quarter still left to go, GA Tech has laid 283 total yards on Auburn, UCF laid 341 total yards on South Carolina, Hell, even Boise State managed 304 yards against Georgia, and they were blown out!!!!

TechHawg

So should Bob Stoops be fired?  His team lost to freakin TCU!  And should Spurrier be fired?  He only won by 9 points over the worst team in D-1.

Tonight was really ok.  We need to work on some things, but we won big.  We've gotta hang onto the football.  Hillis is the man.  Felix is the man.  McFadden is the man.  We've got some awesome talent.  It also sounded like Vickiel Vaughn had a good game.  We'll be much improved next week.

Tomhog™

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on September 03, 2005, 10:45:49 pm
by the way, UAB hung 335 total yards on #3 Tennesee, with a quarter still left to go, GA Tech has laid 283 total yards on Auburn, UCF laid 341 total yards on South Carolina, Hell, even Boise State managed 304 yards against Georgia, and they were blown out!!!!

I agree that we shouldn't be dissecting this and saying the season is over.  We won by 32 points.  That's more than 4 TD's and a FG.  How bad do you have to beat a team for it to be a dominant game.  I truly expected the D to give up atleast one long run or pass like that.  Most are still learning new positions.  They will get better.  That's why I had predicted them to get 14 points.  Let's give the Hogs a hand for winning and it not really being that close.

lunchbox72703

Fletch

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 03, 2005, 09:40:53 pm
our defensejust gave up 17 points and a ridiculous amount of yardage to a mid level d2 team . 2 big plays and at one point the score was 28/ 17 . not good with what we face the next 3 weeks . the rb's may have played even better than advertised .great job by the o-line .
Not making excuses but Mo. St. had a couple of backs that could really move. Great ability to make people miss in the open field. No excuse for the 80 yarder up the gut though. I wonder if we were playing mostly 2nd and 3rd teamers on D at the time.
I feel like $100

Fletch

Quote from: TechHawg on September 03, 2005, 10:51:49 pm
So should Bob Stoops be fired? His team lost to freakin TCU! And should Spurrier be fired? He only won by 9 points over the worst team in D-1.

Tonight was really ok. We need to work on some things, but we won big. We've gotta hang onto the football. Hillis is the man. Felix is the man. McFadden is the man. We've got some awesome talent. It also sounded like Vickiel Vaughn had a good game. We'll be much improved next week.
Vaughn had an excellent game IMO. Looked like a much different player than last year.
I feel like $100

Fletch

IMO since this is a new defensive scheme we were bound to blow a few assignments. I thought A. Brown was supposed to be a stud DE and would wreak some havoc in the backfield b/c of his speed but that didn't seem to happen.
I feel like $100

OklaU

Quote from: TechHawg on September 03, 2005, 10:51:49 pm
So should Bob Stoops be fired? His team lost to freakin TCU! And should Spurrier be fired? He only won by 9 points over the worst team in D-1.

Tonight was really ok. We need to work on some things, but we won big. We've gotta hang onto the football. Hillis is the man. Felix is the man. McFadden is the man. We've got some awesome talent. It also sounded like Vickiel Vaughn had a good game. We'll be much improved next week.

Not sure if the Stoops comment is a fair comparison.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

PorcineSublime

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 03, 2005, 09:40:53 pm
Actually they're 1AA, and from what I saw tonight they are not likely to be "mid level". This was a well coached team and will do well in their conference. Now, having said that, we should have cleaned their clocks from the opening kickoff, but we won and got some time to iron out some rough edges in the gametime experience area.

My impressions:
Offense:RJ is passable but not great, AM is not ready for prime time and might never be. If RJ goes down we are in trouble.
            Felix and Peyton are the real deal, toss in DH and DMac and we are very deep at RB

Defense: Another work in progress that need more time. At times the secondary looked sharp, at ttimes got beaten bad. We still miss way  too many tackles. Tighten up next week and we will be allright.

Kicking/Special teams: :puke:

Overall: Still think we squeak out 6 wins and HDN lives to coach Mitch and Co. next year. We have enough talent to beat the teams we are supposed to beat, see no    reason why we can't make the Weedeater Bowl again. An improvement considering last year. 
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

HOGKING

We had 6 turnovers tonight and still won 49-17 if not we score at least 2 more touchdowns

Fletch

Quote from: HOGKING on September 03, 2005, 11:32:20 pm
We had 6 turnovers tonight and still won 49-17 if not we score at least 2 more touchdowns
I think we have a shot at beating Alabama and Auburn. Neither were overly impressive.
I feel like $100

Fletch

It sure was fun to watch Herring chew the defense out tonight. He would yell at them, take about 5 steps away and turn around and come back and yell at them some more. I thought his head was going to explode at one point.
I feel like $100

Razorbrett

Everyone knows that I'm about as positive as they get about my Hogs!  But I gotta say, when MSU hit that 80 yard TD on the draw, I felt my heart drop through my stomach.  I was in the south end zone and I saw the hole open just as the RB was getting the ball. I knew he was gone.  I'm not sure if it was blown assignments or we just had a bad defensive play called for the draw, but there should've been a linebacker there.

All that being said, offensively we dominated the game as we well should have.  I think the turnovers are correctable.  I'm not sure how many we had but we looked to be driving for another score on all of them.  It seemed like we came out ready to play, took a large lead in at half, then came out dead in the second half.  I think there's a hell-of-a lesson to be learned here. That being that we've got to play to win every down, I just hope our team learned it against the likes of an inferior opponent and don't do it again vs Vandy. 

I'm not really sure we saw any of our real offense or defense tonight.  We might've been trying not to give things away to Vandy and USC or maybe it was just too early in the season and our coaches would perfect things instead of using them when we don't really need to.  All in all, I still don't know a lot more than what I knew before tonight.  But I think I'm more nervous about the upcoming season than I was.  But I really think we'll get better as the season goes on. 

Fletch

Quote from: HoopHog on September 03, 2005, 11:54:02 pm
Quote from: Fletch on September 03, 2005, 11:48:25 pm
It sure was fun to watch Herring chew the defense out tonight. He would yell at them, take about 5 steps away and turn around and come back and yell at them some more. I thought his head was going to explode at one point.

Fletch...since you were at the game, I have a question for ya. Were our defensive backs biting on fakes and getting burned on deep routes? It just sounded like there were more than a couple of times when Mizzou State receivers were wide open. This was a huge problem for the Hogs last year.
It was that and apparently a few missed assignments. Also, a couple of times their QB had a lot of time to throw. I was actually kind of impressed with Mo. St. They had a couple of really good players. Loved it when Payne Hall dropped a pass right in his hands in the 4th quarter and they had to punt.
I feel like $100

FortHawg

My thoughts...

Pass defense looked alot better than last years, there were a few plays that we gave up receptions, but for the most part, the DB's/Safties were waiting in tight coverage, letting the reciever catch the ball and laying on a lick.  Was alot more phyiscal, and caused alot of incomplete passes because of it.

The run defense looked bad at times, most because of over pursuit in my opinion.  Other times, they locked up the runner, and allowed for massive gang tackling.  Could be better but once again not as bad as last year.

The biggest thing I noticed was on almost every tackle the defense was punching or stripping at the ball as they were wrapping up.  Saw multiple fumbles caused because of this and not just because it was damp out.  There were also several fumbles that went ouf ot bounds because the ball was punched out as people made the tackle.  Also, saw very few arm tackles, lots of solid body to body hits.

The draw play that everyone keeps talking about, was more of a screen shovel pass.  The defense was pushing the pocket in hard on both sides, and a little dump shovel pass to the back at the line of scrimmage opened the middle of the field.  What ticked me off was on his long run, 2 members of the secondary basically from with a small shoulder fake to middle field and he just blew past them for a TD.  Should not have been a TD on that play but still would have been a 30 yrd gain.  Was a nicely executed play on their part.

Passing looks okay but could get better.  D Howard looked like his old self at first, hesitant to hit the hole, getting taken down to easily.  The second half it was like he was watching the other backs and was actually lowering his shoulder and running hard.  Hell he even dropped a few stiff arms.  Looked much better, was having to look hard to see if it was 25 or 26 running the ball.

The rest of the backs, wow...  O Line looked good to but this a D2 team.

Not as good as last years opener, but sure were some positives.

Oh yeah, even with Hillis' 2 fumbles, that boy is a beast.  His first fumble the guy hit helmet to ball, second fumble he was throwing a defender to the ground with his arm that was carrying the ball, then someone grabbed onto that arm to drag him down and he coughed it up. 

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Fletch on September 04, 2005, 12:00:04 am
Quote from: HoopHog on September 03, 2005, 11:54:02 pm
Quote from: Fletch on September 03, 2005, 11:48:25 pm

Fletch...since you were at the game, I have a question for ya. Were our defensive backs biting on fakes and getting burned on deep routes? It just sounded like there were more than a couple of times when Mizzou State receivers were wide open. This was a huge problem for the Hogs last year.
It was that and apparently a few missed assignments. Also, a couple of times their QB had a lot of time to throw. I was actually kind of impressed with Mo. St. They had a couple of really good players. Loved it when Payne Hall dropped a pass right in his hands in the 4th quarter and they had to punt.

I agree completely, the kid they had at running back was a transfer from Georgia and had some good speed. Their quarterback was pretty mobile and they pressured him quite a few times.  Brown looked good as a first start.  He had one play he kept his ground and instead of charging the QB waited til he had tossed it to the RB and stuffed him 3 yards deep.   Tackling looked MUCH better.  I saw a lot of solid tackles and a lot of staying in the play.  People would get down and get right back up. 

Keith Jackson Jr.  How much weight did he lose?  God he looked tiny compared to what i remembered of him.  He had a solid play at the line a couple of times too.

Herring is hilarious.  He chews on his guys as a group.  He calls people out.  He then punches his board he is drawing on, walks away, and 30 seconds later remembers something else and comes back to chew some more.

We played good on defense, they had a lot of 3rd and 15's and a that option was killing us due to over pursuing in my opinion.  I feel good about today after looking around the conference and top 25 and seeing what others did.