Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is a "muff"?

Started by Razorback Jedi, September 01, 2005, 10:06:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback Jedi

4th quarter in the USC - UCF, UCF punts the ball and the USC player catches the ball (or so it seems), then bobbles the ball and "muffs" it into the UCF player's hands/arms. UCF scores a TD ont he play, but it's called back to where the "fumble/muff" happened.

Anyone ever seen/heard of this before?

junkyardhog

From my understanding, muffed means you never had control of the ball, therefore it is not a fumble or a pass (to make an interception).

junkyardhog

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 01, 2005, 10:11:35 pm
Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 01, 2005, 10:06:36 pm
4th quarter in the USC - UCF, UCF punts the ball and the USC player catches the ball (or so it seems), then bobbles the ball and "muffs" it into the UCF player's hands/arms. UCF scores a TD ont he play, but it's called back to where the "fumble/muff" happened.

Anyone ever seen/heard of this before?

I think if the ball does NOT hit the ground it is considered a muff. Seems like a ridiculous rule as the fact remains the guy let the ball hit him and fall away. What difference does it make if it does not hit the ground?

Bacon out...

No, if you caught the ball and ran 30 yards and then dropped the ball, it is a fumble.

Porquemada

muff1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (mf)
v. muffed, muff·ing, muffs
v. tr.
To perform or handle clumsily; bungle. See Synonyms at botch.
Sports. To fail to make (a catch).

v. intr.
To perform an act clumsily.

n.
A clumsy or bungled action.
Sports. A failure to make a catch.

Razorback Jedi

I know what the word "muff" means, just never heard of the rule in college football.

junkyardhog

muffed (an unsuccessful attempt to catch the ball where the ball is touched in the attempt)

junkyardhog

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 01, 2005, 10:13:55 pm
Quote from: junkyardhog on September 01, 2005, 10:12:25 pm
From my understanding, muffed means you never had control of the ball, therefore it is not a fumble or a pass (to make an interception).

Just to clarify and ask a question...if he never has control but it hits the ground is it a forwardable fumble?

Bacon out...

That's a good question. If any member of the receiving team touches the ball it becomes playable. Probably if the punt returner muffs and it hits the ground, the same rule applies as tonight.

Pigster

Man, the title had me excited for a moment. 

junkyardhog

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on September 01, 2005, 10:15:51 pm
I prefer this one - muff
n.
Vulgar Slang. The vulva.

In actuality I've always consider the vulva technically seperate from the muff. The muff to me is a hairy demon that has the vulva and all the other parts to it.

I also would not call it a muff if it did not have hair. In that case, I would refer to it as a beaver/bearded clam/ fertile delta/ golden triangle. on and on.

Porquemada

Quote from: junkyardhog on September 01, 2005, 10:19:19 pm
I prefer this one - muff
n.
Vulgar Slang. The vulva.

In actuality I've always consider the vulva technically seperate from the muff. The muff to me is a hairy demon that has the vulva and all the other parts to it.

I also would not call it a muff if it did not have hair. In that case, I would refer to it as a beaver/bearded clam/ fertile delta/ golden triangle. on and on.
:D :D 

RazrBakr

Is this another example of a call going South Carolina's way, i.e. "inadvertent whistle"?
Just can't help smiling these days!!!

WhenPigsFly

The "muff" is where the punt returner never had control of the ball, whether it touches the ground or not.  Ball is dead where opposing team gains posession.  I think a punt is the only play where this applies, as a kickoff is a free ball after it travels ten yards.

Biggus Piggus

I prefer this one - muff
n.
Vulgar Slang. The vulva.

Electro Harmonix I believe used to make a device called a Big Muff Pi.  It was what is known in the music business as a fuzz box.

Go ahead, giggle.

A fuzz box introduces artificial distortion into the signal of an electric guitar.
[CENSORED]!

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 02, 2005, 07:19:15 am
I prefer this one - muff
n.
Vulgar Slang. The vulva.

Electro Harmonix I believe used to make a device called a Big Muff Pi. It was what is known in the music business as a fuzz box.

Go ahead, giggle.

A fuzz box introduces artificial distortion into the signal of an electric guitar.

Not to be confused with "Momma's"...."squeezebox".

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 02, 2005, 07:19:15 am
I prefer this one - muff
n.
Vulgar Slang. The vulva.

Electro Harmonix I believe used to make a device called a Big Muff Pi.  It was what is known in the music business as a fuzz box.

Go ahead, giggle.

Made famous by one James Hendrix out of Seattle,WA. Had a couple of hits back in the 60's.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Biggus Piggus

Myself, I don't like my boxes fuzzy.
[CENSORED]!

Amityvillehogger

September 02, 2005, 09:28:19 am #18 Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 09:29:53 am by Amityvillehogger
a muff is a cooter ;) depends on the situation if i like the "fuzz" or not
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

junkyardhog

I like fuzzy muffs. At least on top. I was raised in the 70's though. ;D

to me, it's just ugly if it doesn't have a hat!

Brett Hitman Hog

What if that hat looks like an old man's toupee down there?  Or one of them Russian Hats that attaches to the belly button?  That's not bueno.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: The Hitman on September 02, 2005, 10:21:10 am
What if that hat looks like an old man's toupee down there? Or one of them Russian Hats that attaches to the belly button? That's not bueno.

I just busted a gut.   
Quote from: junkyardhog on September 02, 2005, 09:29:15 am
I like fuzzy muffs. At least on top. I was raised in the 70's though. ;D

to me, it's just ugly if it doesn't have a hat!
I think this will be my new pick up line when at the bars ;D