Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Topic for discussion: Does Spurrier turning USC into a power put pressure on HDN

Started by idochog, September 01, 2005, 08:05:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

idochog

If Spurrier can do it at USC, what kind of pressure does it put on HDN? My opinion is a GOOD coach can do it almost anywhere.

Watching this hype w/ Spurrier makes me wish we would step up and get someone like butch davis so we could get some bigtime publicity and exposure.
I love Jesus!

Porquemada

idochog

Quote from: Tomcat on September 01, 2005, 08:06:22 pm
They've had a good first half, but UCF isn't a highly touted opponent....

I bet UCF would beat Missouri States butt.

Besides this a new coach with a new system and w/ a bunch of players missing b/c Spurrier kicked them off the team and yet they look this impressive.

Question is will we look this impressive against an even weaker opp. in Mizzou St. with the same coach, the same system and a QB who has had practice in the same system for 3 years?
I love Jesus!

Thehammer

Quote from: idochog on September 01, 2005, 08:05:14 pm
If Spurrier can do it at USC, what kind of pressure does it put on HDN? My opinion is a GOOD coach can do it almost anywhere.

Watching this hype w/ Spurrier makes me wish we would step up and get someone like butch davis so we could get some bigtime publicity and exposure.

Not a fair comparison.  No.  Mizzou State would not beat UCF's butt.    UCF is a better team than Mizzou State.  We would/should kick either one's butt based on overall talent.

HighOnHogs

Feralhog

POWER HOUSE?  GOOD LORD!  I'll go out on a limb and say UCF will either win or have a shot at winning in the 4th Qtr.  UCF has established the running game and in typical Visor Boy style, the cox are one dimensional with nada running game. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

WILL CLINTON

Maybe the title of this topic should be IF Spurrier turns USC into a Powerhouse.....; not Does Spurrier turning USC into a powerhouse....   Give me a freaking break, it is the first half of the first game of his first season.  Take a valium and relax.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: idochog on September 01, 2005, 08:05:14 pm

What are you talking about? It will take Spurrier at least 7 - 8 years to turn that team around.  They can't recruit over there, they are under NCAA investigation how can you expect a turn around while being up against those kind of things?

Biggus Piggus

South Carolina is not very good.  That is easy to say.  It was obvious after the first half.  Central Florida is weaker than the Wake Forest team Vandy beat on the road tonight.  UCF has a very marginal QB who sticks on his primary reads and misses open receivers.  They have open receivers all over the place.  Not impressed at all with the Gamecocks.  They need a lot more talent.  We can take them.
[CENSORED]!

arkhogdog61

what power are you talking about? free speech, they didn't look to good to me.
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

Oklahawg

That 7-4 prediction some of us want but fretted over just got a bit more realistic.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

arkhogdog61

IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

PigKahuna

Didn't UCF go 0-11 last season?

Spurrier's national power just dodged a bullet from them.  I don't think Nutt is sweating just yet.

BigPapaHawg

What the hell is all this SC power house crap! Damn they were only playing UCF and that second half didn't look to good for SC!
WOO PIG

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: PigKahuna on September 01, 2005, 10:37:52 pm

Spurrier's national power just dodged a bullet from them. I don't think Nutt is sweating just yet.

Yeah, I heard that UCF coach said it was a "championship under construction".

lunchbox72703

hmmmm, it's just one game guys......give it a little bit before we all get nervous

BigPapaHawg

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 01, 2005, 11:32:12 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on September 01, 2005, 08:37:35 pm
POWER HOUSE? GOOD LORD! I'll go out on a limb and say UCF will either win or have a shot at winning in the 4th Qtr. UCF has established the running game and in typical Visor Boy style, the cox are one dimensional with nada running game.

Kudos to FeralHog for the great prediction. UCF was some stupid play-calling away from being in this at the end. I think Spurrier better recruit. His problem is that now he has to recruit to Columbia, S.C. whereas before he had to recruit to Gainesville, FL. I'm 18, a stud, want hot chicks and a great college experience with fine football tradition....hmmmm

Bacon out...

Very good point!...........WPS!
WOO PIG

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 01, 2005, 11:32:12 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on September 01, 2005, 08:37:35 pm
POWER HOUSE?  GOOD LORD! I'll go out on a limb and say UCF will either win or have a shot at winning in the 4th Qtr. UCF has established the running game and in typical Visor Boy style, the cox are one dimensional with nada running game.

Kudos to FeralHog for the great prediction.  UCF was some stupid play-calling away from being in this at the end.  I think Spurrier better recruit.  His problem is that now he has to recruit to Columbia, S.C. whereas before he had to recruit to Gainesville, FL.  I'm 18, a stud, want hot chicks and a great college experience with fine football tradition....hmmmm

Bacon out...

Have you ever spent time in Gainesville?  Talahassee and Miami are easy to recruit to.  If Gainesville wasn't in Florida, someone might mistake parts of it for Starkville.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

My mistake, I was thinking of Tallahassee.  Gainesville I have just heard about from my dad, who is a trucker.  He wasn't too enamored with it either.  He isn't a 18 year old co-ed either. ;D

Bacons Rebellion

South Carolina is indeed now a powerhouse. They racked up 24 points against a bunch of guys that only gave up 48 to they Buffalo Bills last year. Oh, wait that was 48 points to the Buffalo BULLS last year. Never mind. At least Spurrier held off their rally to extend UCF's losing streak to span 3 seasons.

HighOnHogs

Like I said, Holtz couldn't do it.  We'll see.  Honestly I think HdN could have coached better than Spurrier did last night.

HornetHog

Behold the power of a passing offense.....Run by a passing coach (X-QB)......HDN, please get a clue and open up the "O"
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

HighOnHogs

Quote from: HornetHog on September 02, 2005, 07:34:09 am
Behold the power of a passing offense.....Run by a passing coach (X-QB)......HDN, please get a clue and open up the "O"

Now that we have a better passing QB your suggestion just might happen.  We have the receivers too so I've got my fingers crossed..

Chief Mac

Behold no running game and barely held on to beat a team that had lost 15 in a row.  We need to open it up but I'd rather play within what our talent dictates us to have more success at, regardless if it is the wishbone or the chuck and duck (run and shoot).  Just win.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

hawkeyefan17

True, South Carolina had no running game but I think it was Lee Corso who said after the game that if Steve Spurrier were not the coach at South Carolina, South Carolina would have lost that game. The passing game (Spurrier's play calling) got the Gamecocks that win. Spurrier was willing to take risks.

Bomis Hawg

Like another post said, no running game and you don't have jack -- maybe letting a very weak team jump back in the game.  Spurrier was upset that no running game had been set up.  You can pass for 600 yards, but without a running game or defense, you're stuck with nothing.

South Carolina will beat Vandy, likley.  But, they might outside of them, Kentucky, and Troy, they might be hardpressed to find that 5th and 6th wins.  Although, they might steal one at home late in the year.  Clemson? Florida?  By that time, Spurrier will have someone running the ball somehow.

Kodiak

Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

Theolesnort

Spurrier is 60 years old. The sand in the hourglass is running out as well as his piss and vinegar.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

pork-e-pine

I didn't know that spurrier was hired at the USC powerhouse in souther california.  I though he was at the chicken school that has less talent than us.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

Feralhog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on September 02, 2005, 10:28:28 am

Like another post said, no running game and you don't have jack -- maybe letting a very weak team jump back in the game. Spurrier was upset that no running game had been set up. You can pass for 600 yards, but without a running game or defense, you're stuck with nothing.

South Carolina will beat Vandy, likley. But, they might outside of them, Kentucky, and Troy, they might be hardpressed to find that 5th and 6th wins. Although, they might steal one at home late in the year. Clemson? Florida? By that time, Spurrier will have someone running the ball somehow.

If Spurrier finally finds a running game, it will be outside his norm.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

HogDodging

Nope.  Since Nutt's supporters are thrilled he remained, even after a 5-6 season, I'd say Nutt has nothing to worry about by another school actually raising the expectations of its football program.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: Deep Shoat on September 03, 2005, 10:26:00 am
Nope. Since Nutt's supporters are thrilled he remained, even after a 5-6 season, I'd say Nutt has nothing to worry about by another school actually raising the expectations of its football program.

If you accept 5-6 for two years in a row you are not a football fan.  You may go to the games, socialize with your friends, eat, drink talk about the game but you are not a fan.  5-6 is below average, with the two rent a wins it's really a 3-6 season.  Losing twice as much as winning. 

Ben Steiger

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on September 01, 2005, 11:11:09 pm
Quote from: PigKahuna on September 01, 2005, 10:37:52 pm

Spurrier's national power just dodged a bullet from them. I don't think Nutt is sweating just yet.

Yeah, I heard that UCF coach said it was a "championship under construction".

The UCF coach is trying to get national media attention with that quote.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.