Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hey Windy...

Started by jayhog, March 21, 2005, 02:07:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jayhog

The problem of having too many teams on Yahoo can be fixed very easily.  You can just set up a free account and use it for that league only.  Sure, it would be a new email, but if that's the only problem, it's not that difficult to resolve. 

I'm for whatever.  We can keep the draft from last night; we can give MLB another shot; or we can do a Yahoo draft.  I do need to know where to send the money that you guys asked for.  I don't want you or Okla paying for everything.  Let me know. 

Thanks for all of the hard work!!!

Dirty

WindyCityHog

Jay....I suppose it can be done.  I'll discuss it in full when Okla gets off work....

big dread hog

Oklahoma told me to just paypal you through your email address.. Is that correct? Is there not another Hogville draft on Mar 30 which is Yahoo?

WindyCityHog

The Hogville Yahoo head-to-head is March 30th.....and I don't want your money...for now.  We'll work that out later...

Oklahawg

I think the use of Yahoo makes no sense unless Windy gets his money back. Then, just do the league in Yahoo.

As posted elsewhere I have two good options (I posted 3 there but I think 1 isn't so good):
1. Thursday night redraft, about the same time; earlier if we have to, but I'll reset the time between picks for personal reasons.
2. Do a modified draft using Hogville PM. Send me your top 12 picks, rank ordered. I'll assign them to teams based on a randomly determined draft order. I'll keep going until I run into a team that needs to draft but is has no one left on his list (that is, his 12 have been picked by somebody). We can do 2 rounds at a time, I bet, since we all will have different lists.

By doing only 12 you can react to the players that have been taken and the players you get. Its not perfect--you can't react to who the guy before you takes, effectively drafting differently than planned--but by going 2 rounds at a time (I think we can do that, especially after we get past the top 50 players, when our lists will change dramatically). I can post it to a hogville thread and then we can import to mlb at our convenience.

Thoughts?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WindyCityHog

No Yahoo Okla....The draft times available thru them is bad, bad, bad....unless you want to draft at 8 in the morning....Nix that idea.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 21, 2005, 10:59:40 pm
I think the use of Yahoo makes no sense unless Windy gets his money back. Then, just do the league in Yahoo.

As posted elsewhere I have two good options (I posted 3 there but I think 1 isn't so good):
1. Thursday night redraft, about the same time; earlier if we have to, but I'll reset the time between picks for personal reasons.
2. Do a modified draft using Hogville PM. Send me your top 12 picks, rank ordered. I'll assign them to teams based on a randomly determined draft order. I'll keep going until I run into a team that needs to draft but is has no one left on his list (that is, his 12 have been picked by somebody). We can do 2 rounds at a time, I bet, since we all will have different lists.

By doing only 12 you can react to the players that have been taken and the players you get. Its not perfect--you can't react to who the guy before you takes, effectively drafting differently than planned--but by going 2 rounds at a time (I think we can do that, especially after we get past the top 50 players, when our lists will change dramatically). I can post it to a hogville thread and then we can import to mlb at our convenience.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure I completely understand how this would work. Maybe it's too early for me to be contemplating the deeper aspects of baseball drafts.

My vote is for a "slow live" draft. Set the max time limit to "2 hours" between 10am-10pm and draft away. We can do this through the MLB site and likely it won't have problems because you've got 2 hours to pick if a problem arises. Okla, can you check to see if the MLB site will allow us to do such a draft?

Oklahawg

MLB allows me to adjust the draft window but I don't know that that lengthy a window is what we need. Its tough enough getting 12-13 of us together for 2-1/2 hours let alone longer. And, remember when we are bumped we go on auto draft and that is set by MLB at 10 seconds. That was the problem--you get bumped and only have 10 seconds to get rebooted before its automatically drafts for you.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 22, 2005, 10:40:41 am
MLB allows me to adjust the draft window but I don't know that that lengthy a window is what we need. Its tough enough getting 12-13 of us together for 2-1/2 hours let alone longer. And, remember when we are bumped we go on auto draft and that is set by MLB at 10 seconds. That was the problem--you get bumped and only have 10 seconds to get rebooted before its automatically drafts for you.

I'm in the  middle of a "slow-live" draft on cbs right now and we've got 24 hours to make a pick. If we're not logged in, the "auto draft" doesn't pick unless we've told it to do so. I'm sure if the mlb draft is set to a longer period of time, it's not going to auto pick in 10 seconds.

I think doing a slow-live is the best, because it allows everyone to pick when they can (within a certain time frame).

Porkahontas

No way would I be for a "slow live draft."

I don't want to sit around the computer for 12 hours to do a baseball draft. I CAN'T sit around the computer for 12 hours to do this. I work until 3 everyday, and I've got family in from California this week that I get to see about once a year probably. That, and I've got too many projects around the house this week to work on to shoot a day with a slow draft.

I'd rather do a completely automatic draft than a slow draft, I think.

I'm for leaving it as it is and just using trades and the waiver wire to fill in the gaps we need to fill in.

razormatt

They mean that it's like you make two picks per day, in a given time frame.

Each player has 30 minutes to make a pick, but you don't have to be there for it.

Come when it's your time to make your pick, and go with it.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Porkahontas on March 22, 2005, 12:59:12 pm
No way would I be for a "slow live draft."

I don't want to sit around the computer for 12 hours to do a baseball draft. I CAN'T sit around the computer for 12 hours to do this. I work until 3 everyday, and I've got family in from California this week that I get to see about once a year probably. That, and I've got too many projects around the house this week to work on to shoot a day with a slow draft.

I'd rather do a completely automatic draft than a slow draft, I think.

I'm for leaving it as it is and just using trades and the waiver wire to fill in the gaps we need to fill in.

Pork, basically you'd get an email when it's your pick. You then log in and see what other players have been taken, then make your pick. As Matt said above, you don't have to be there for the entire draft.