Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want to ask a question

Started by lakecityhog, December 30, 2016, 06:35:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

I want to ask a question, but I don't want it to come out as I am kicking a player. My question actually has very little to do with the player/s involved. So, here goes.

I saw a statement in another thread that a LOT of our problems are coming from within. Some players feel like the wrong guy/s are playing. I have seen the word favoritism thrown out on this board more than once over the last couple of years. I read a couple of remarks after the Missouri game that several of the D players don't like playing for Smith.

I have read several page arguments over the Allen boys not having to fight for their jobs. BB in his post game PC mentioned players being late, etc.

Has BB created some dissension by awarding a starting job to Froholdt from day 1 of spring practice? How did Whaley feel getting 1 carry last night when a guy that missed basically the entire season gets 5 carries? And what did he do to earn 5 carries over Whaley? Why is it that some players get in BB's "dog house" and seem to never get out while others commit similar infractions and get punished once and it is over?

And lastly, why do we only hear about this stuff when things go really south????

PonderinHog

Whaley had five carries - for one yard.

Carry on.

hogcard1964

Whaley had 5 carries last night.

WorfHog

It's clear that the staff lost this team...

Hollywood870

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 30, 2016, 06:40:00 pm
Whaley had 5 carries last night.
He's got to be happy he came to Running Back U. That's one hell of a workload.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 30, 2016, 06:46:19 pm
He's got to be happy he came to Running Back U. That's one hell of a workload.

We had 26 yards rushing on 33 carries (taking away Austin's 1 run for 10 yards). Less than a yard per carry. It is pretty obvious why we didn't run more than we did. They were committed to stopping our run game and forcing us to beat them with the pass.
Go Hogs Go!

lakecityhog

Ok, I missed the stats old eyes fail sometimes. What about the question??

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 30, 2016, 06:50:23 pm
We had 26 yards rushing on 33 carries (taking away Austin's 1 run for 10 yards). Less than a yard per carry. It is pretty obvious why we didn't run more than we did. They were committed to stopping our run game and forcing us to beat them with the pass.

And then the passing game disappeared.  Or AA disappeared. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hawgon

So called players' coaches always have those problems in the end.  Why?  Because players' coaches like relationships.  Well, with 85 players on a team, it is impossible to have the same relationship with all those players.  Some personalities click, and some don't.  Some players want to get to know you, and some don't.  Some you like, and some you don't.  Over time, you're closer to some players than you are others.  It is impossible not to be.  It is impossible to keep the perception that you have favorites from arising.  It doesn't have to be true, all that needs to be there is the perception that it is.

Players' coaches almost have tenures that end in internal dissension and team strife.  Some are better at it and can keep it going longer, but it almost always ends that way in the end.  A guy like Saban who is universally a pecker hole to everyone, can usually get more longevity than a players' coach.  Sometimes a guy like Bowden gets in a place where he can simply recruit enough talent that it doesn't matter, but for players' coaches at regular schools, the end is almost always the same.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 30, 2016, 06:54:34 pm
And then the passing game disappeared.  Or AA disappeared. 

In all fairness, the times that they showed replays in the second half, I rarely saw a receiver who wasn't covered. Part of it has to be on the receivers not bending their routes to try to be open.
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 30, 2016, 06:51:44 pm
Ok, I missed the stats old eyes fail sometimes. What about the question??
I think Hammonds had one carry.

As for the question, the elephant moves slowly, but when it steps on you, you're pretty much screwed.

DeltaBoy

THE D Fought hard but our QB gave the game away.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PonderinHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 30, 2016, 06:57:03 pm
In all fairness, the times that they showed replays in the second half, I rarely saw a receiver who wasn't covered. Part of it has to be on the receivers not bending their routes to try to be open.
Well, Jared and Jeremy didn't play, Reed took a shot to the head, and Morgan was ejected late.  Who does that leave, Keon?

Tick Hog

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 30, 2016, 06:35:47 pm
I want to ask a question, but I don't want it to come out as I am kicking a player. My question actually has very little to do with the player/s involved. So, here goes.

I saw a statement in another thread that a LOT of our problems are coming from within. Some players feel like the wrong guy/s are playing. I have seen the word favoritism thrown out on this board more than once over the last couple of years. I read a couple of remarks after the Missouri game that several of the D players don't like playing for Smith.

I have read several page arguments over the Allen boys not having to fight for their jobs. BB in his post game PC mentioned players being late, etc.

Has BB created some dissension by awarding a starting job to Froholdt from day 1 of spring practice? How did Whaley feel getting 1 carry last night when a guy that missed basically the entire season gets 5 carries? And what did he do to earn 5 carries over Whaley? Why is it that some players get in BB's "dog house" and seem to never get out while others commit similar infractions and get punished once and it is over?

And lastly, why do we only hear about this stuff when things go really south????
I think these are all very good questions but unless you have a source that is involved in the day to day things going on I don't think we can know. You could look at it from both sides. Maybe the best players aren't always on the field. Maybe some of those guys are the ones who can't make it to meetings on time etc? I do agree with the other posters that say it would be harder to maintain a team of 85 being a players coach.