Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hear me out

Started by Sho Nuff, December 30, 2016, 03:24:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sho Nuff

Last night's debacle may prove to be a good thing for us in the long run.

I have been concerned that Bielema has been too comfortable.  In his press conference he referenced things that he should have corrected before.  There is no way in Hades that he will be let go this year.  However, if we have another bad year next year I do believe he will be toast, and I think he knows that as well.  We are about to find out if he has it in him to win or not.  If not, we will be starting over with a new coach.  Had we won last night's game, there would be no pressure on him going into this season.

I realize that I am grasping at straws here, just looking for a silver lining.

Vandyhog4

I get what you are saying, and I think the point is well taken.  The honeymoon is over, and Bielema will have to coach and recruit like his job is on the line.  The only problem is that, if he has to use his lack of job security as a motivating factor to do better or prevent similar failures, then he's already a lost cause.  He should have been coaching like his seat was on fire from day 1, not just in year 5.     

Mo_Better_Hogs

We'll see if any positives come from this. But I know one thing—next season, if we pick up right where this one ended, it will be the worst season I've ever seen in Razorback football.

Where we are right now isn't a place where you just 'tweak' a few little things. The changes need to be big. So the question is—is Bielema and this staff capable of doing that?

LRHawg

Redhogs

Quote from: Sho Nuff on December 30, 2016, 03:24:35 pm

I have been concerned that Bielema has been too comfortable.  In his press conference he referenced things that he should have corrected before.  There is no way in Hades that he will be let go this year.  However, if we have another bad year next year I do believe he will be toast, and I think he knows that as well.  We are about to find out if he has it in him to win or not.  If not, we will be starting over with a new coach.  Had we won last night's game, there would be no pressure on him going into this season.

You can't be serious, if it takes this to wake any coach up he should be looking for another profession. What world do people like you live in.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

depressed_fan

Two things I will correct. This was not a "bad year" in the eyes of the administration. This was a good year if the last home game of the season was selling out.

Number 2, he won't be fired after next year either which will look similar to this year.

PorkRinds

Here is what I've noticed.  When CBB suspends or takes playing time away from a player for off the field offenses and not being disciplined, the same folks who are now bashing him for having an undisciplined program come here and say he's holding the team back by holding them to standards that are too high.  So which is it?  When he holds them accountable?  Too harsh.  When they screw up and he says he's been to soft?  Too soft.  So which is it?

Joe-T

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 30, 2016, 03:59:36 pm
Here is what I've noticed.  When CBB suspends or takes playing time away from a player for off the field offenses and not being disciplined, the same folks who are now bashing him for having an undisciplined program come here and say he's holding the team back by holding them to standards that are too high.  So which is it?  When he holds them accountable?  Too harsh.  When they screw up and he says he's been to soft?  Too soft.  So which is it?

Examples???

Hoggish1

If you are right, expect to see some coaching changes.

A HC, when he knows he needs to make a change, will do so when the heat is on.  But, sometimes a HC just hesitates to pull the trigger thinking he can "fix" the problem from within.  There is nothing like pressure to focus the mind and toughen the resolve. 

These are the straws I'm grasping at, too...

longtimeHogfan

10 'W's next year.  Nothing else is acceptable.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

lumphog

Adjustmentsdammmmmmittt

Dirty

Its my opinion that BB knows who he answers to and its not us.  He knows just how much crap Long will take and he knows he can reach just above that line and all is well.  BB will coach himself back into the folds of Long if, in any way, he has non-coached himself out of the Glow of Long.  It won't take much, .500 ball, not too many players snafus, graduate above average on the football team, that will keep him employed.  Now if BB has the nads to actually bow up and coach his ass off, he'll get more gifts than Santa is supposed to carry on his sleigh.  Long reaching contracts with huge amounts of money and buyouts Trump couldn't afford.  If BB should reach and sustain winning 2 out of 3 most of the time, he can write his own contract, likely lifetime agreement.   Long has no clue who he would replace BB with and he doesn't have any real coaches looking to come here.  In 20 or so years, maybe Long will have the experience to actually operate the AD job like it is supposed  to operate.  Way too late for me.

HoginIllinois

I remember an interview Bielema did not too long after he got here. He said basically that in his third year at Wisconsin he got a little too comfortable (or something along that line) and Alvarez and others (boosters maybe) had a come to Jesus meeting with him. Looks to me like it needs to happened again.

Hollywood870

He is for sure looking "comfortable." I'm all for someone being happy. Beautiful wife, baby on the way. Just not at the expense of our football team being an embarrassment. We'll just have to see what happens but it does appear that Bret has been living High on the Hog.

LJHOG

So which is it?
If they ain't in the county jail, they playin'.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginIllinois on December 30, 2016, 04:59:05 pm
I remember an interview Bielema did not too long after he got here. He said basically that in his third year at Wisconsin he got a little too comfortable (or something along that line) and Alvarez and others (boosters maybe) had a come to Jesus meeting with him. Looks to me like it needs to happened again.

Good recall. Now that you mention it I remember something like that being said.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lakecityhog

Why would we want a coach that needs the AD to have a come to Jesus meeting with him to force him to do his job? Really?

Ya think that attitude might trickle down through the assistant coaches all the way to the team managers???

Wildhog

Can't afford to fire him until '19 or '20, and Long should be taken to task for that.

Maybe we get lucky and Bert leaves in an attempt to beat the pitchforks.  Doubt it, though.  Just keep losing all the way to the bank.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

SquidBilly

He became a rock star to most after the win over Texas.  He then took us to a Liberty bowl win and we as fans showered more praise on him and the team.  The goal is a SEC championship but we settled for back to back lower tier bowl wins and called it good progress.

TulsaJack32

I don't know about this board, but just like everyone on here, I have a lot of family and friends who are Razorback fans, and I have never heard anyone criticize a coach for suspending players for disciplinary reasons.  I find it hard to believe most people on here would question Bielema for this.  I haven't seen anyone take that stand with Sprinkle.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on December 30, 2016, 07:55:52 pm
Can't afford to fire him until '19 or '20, and Long should be taken to task for that.

Maybe we get lucky and Bert leaves in an attempt to beat the pitchforks.  Doubt it, though.  Just keep losing all the way to the bank.

I could be wrong, but I was thinking the pitchforks were starting to come out in Wisconsin his last season or two.  I've always assumed that was just as much reason for him leaving as it was Alvarez.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PorkRinds

Quote from: Bret Squealema on December 30, 2016, 08:16:00 pm
He became a rock star to most after the win over Texas.  He then took us to a Liberty bowl win and we as fans showered more praise on him and the team.  The goal is a SEC championship but we settled for back to back lower tier bowl wins and called it good progress.
it was good progress.  We didn't digress until this season.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Redhogs on December 30, 2016, 03:52:44 pm
You can't be serious, if it takes this to wake any coach up he should be looking for another profession. What world do people like you live in.
The real world, you should visit sometime.

Calling All Hogs

Listening to CBB after the game it appears he is clueless as to why the team consistently falls apart in the second half. That does not give me a great deal of hope for next year or ever.

lefty08

The idea that BB doesn't care about winning because of the money is dumbfounding. The dude was rich when he came here
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lefty08

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 31, 2016, 01:07:33 am
Listening to CBB after the game it appears he is clueless as to why the team consistently falls apart in the second half. That does not give me a great deal of hope for next year or ever.

You would rather him know exactly why it is happening and continuing to allow it to happen? Makes sense
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged