Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting Offseason

Started by WilsonHog, December 30, 2016, 12:09:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

JFB always said that fans "remember what you did in November." Bielema got a pass for his first year; Petrino's untimely departure, John L.'s interim gig, and Bielema's record at Wisconsin bought him some time and goodwill. Year 2 brought November wins over Ole Miss and LSU and a bowl win over Texas. We won 3 of 4 in November last season, plus a bowl win over Kansas State.

The lasting impressions from this season will be getting outscored 56-0 in the second half of our final two games and thereby finishing 7-6. Took a lot of the shine off of the Florida win. Fan unrest/disappointment has to be higher. I'm told Clay Henry wrote a critical column last night and that Bielema was getting slammed on talk radio this morning. Took Dan Wolken and Cecil Hurt about 10 minutes after the game last night to start speculating on how hot Bielema's seat is and how Mike Gundy would do in Fayetteville. It'll be interesting to see if any of that discontent has a shelf life past the first of the year.

I suspect Bielema is second-guessing his career decisions right now, despite that $15.4 million buyout. That security won't last forever. He's stalled a bit here; nothing that can't be corrected with a 9-win season next year, but we're more likely to win fewer. With each year, that narrative makes it harder for him to parlay this job into a lateral or better move. Only possible exit I see is if Bill Snyder announces his retirement at Kansas State. The NFL is a dream.   

Maybe we see some movement in assistants; that almost seems an annual occurrence. Especially if it involves a DC change, that might give fans some hope. Otherwise, nothing but bad memories heading into the winter.

At any rate, I am glad this season is over. I've watched the 2016 Razorbacks play football all I care to.

Razorbackers

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 30, 2016, 12:09:01 pm
JFB always said that fans "remember what you did in November." Bielema got a pass for his first year; Petrino's untimely departure, John L.'s interim gig, and Bielema's record at Wisconsin bought him some time. Year 2 brought November wins over Ole Miss and LSU and a bowl win over Texas. We won 3 of 4 in November last season, plus a bowl win over Kansas State.

The lasting impressions from this season will be getting outscored 56-0 in the second half of our final two games and thereby finishing 7-6. Took a lot of the shine off of the Florida win. Fan unrest/disappointment has to be higher. I'm told Clay Henry wrote a critical column last night and that Bielema was getting slammed on talk radio this morning. Took Dan Woken and Cecil Hurt about 10 minutes after the game last night to start speculating on how hot Bielema's seat is and how Mike Gundy would do in Fayetteville. It'll be interesting to see if any of that discontent has a shelf life past the first of the year.

I suspect Bielema is second-guessing his career decisions right now, despite that $15.4 million buyout. Nothing lasts forever. He's stalled a bit here; nothing than can't be corrected with a 9-win season next year, but we're more likely to win fewer. With each year, that narrative makes it harder for him to parlay this job into a lateral or better move. Only possible exit I see is if Bill Snyder announces his retirement at Kansas State.   

Could see some movement in assistants; that almost seems an annual occurrence. Especially if it involves a DC change, that might give fans some hope.

At any rate, I am glad this season is over. I've watched the 2016 Razorbacks play football all I care to.

I had not considered that until just now but...dang. That is legit.

lutherheggs

What were Hogs outscored in their last 3 games in 2nd halves of all 3?

lakecityhog

Wilson, I watched quite a bit of the KState win over ATM and kept thinking maybe Snyder retires and BB takes that job as a way to save face.

I also watched some of OKState whipping Colorado and thought Gundy would be our best bet. His defense played well and his offense looked very good. Didn't he show interest in our job along with BB?

Dr. Starcs

One of Gundy's sons actually goes to school in fayetteville.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 30, 2016, 12:09:01 pm
JFB always said that fans "remember what you did in November." Bielema got a pass for his first year; Petrino's untimely departure, John L.'s interim gig, and Bielema's record at Wisconsin bought him some time and goodwill. Year 2 brought November wins over Ole Miss and LSU and a bowl win over Texas. We won 3 of 4 in November last season, plus a bowl win over Kansas State.

The lasting impressions from this season will be getting outscored 56-0 in the second half of our final two games and thereby finishing 7-6. Took a lot of the shine off of the Florida win. Fan unrest/disappointment has to be higher. I'm told Clay Henry wrote a critical column last night and that Bielema was getting slammed on talk radio this morning. Took Dan Wolken and Cecil Hurt about 10 minutes after the game last night to start speculating on how hot Bielema's seat is and how Mike Gundy would do in Fayetteville. It'll be interesting to see if any of that discontent has a shelf life past the first of the year.

I suspect Bielema is second-guessing his career decisions right now, despite that $15.4 million buyout. That security won't last forever. He's stalled a bit here; nothing that can't be corrected with a 9-win season next year, but we're more likely to win fewer. With each year, that narrative makes it harder for him to parlay this job into a lateral or better move. Only possible exit I see is if Bill Snyder announces his retirement at Kansas State. The NFL is a dream.   

Maybe we see some movement in assistants; that almost seems an annual occurrence. Especially if it involves a DC change, that might give fans some hope. Otherwise, nothing but bad memories heading into the winter.

Love in the hot afternoon....

PRJ

Calling All Hogs

Based on poor performance, none of our coaches are likely to be hired by anyone in the off season and that includes Bielema. Bielema knows he will never again make the kind of money that Long dishes out and I predict he will stay here as long as possible. Jeff Long will play the  "good grades are more important than wins" card for as long as he can and keep Bielema around.

Jim Harris

Quote from: lutherheggs on December 30, 2016, 12:11:25 pm
What were Hogs outscored in their last 3 games in 2nd halves of all 3?

lost the second half at Mississippi State 28-20. Luckily for Hogs they were up by 24 at the half and Mississippi State was awful on defense and no Virginia Tech, with no Bud Foster at leat.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 30, 2016, 12:26:32 pm
Based on poor performance, none of our coaches are likely to be hired by anyone in the off season and that includes Bielema. Bielema knows he will never again make the kind of money that Long dishes out and I predict he will stay here as long as possible. Jeff Long will play the  "good grades are more important than wins" card for as long as he can and keep Bielema around.

I'm with you; I don't expect to see much, if any, movement from any member of the current coaching staff. I believe, that they believe, that there are no real issues with their current philosophy at all - that the only reason in their minds it isn't working is because of poor execution by the players - so there won't be any actual firings during the off season - there might be a couple guys "accept" other job offers elsewhere, but there won't be any actual terminations at all.

Jim Harris

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 30, 2016, 12:14:02 pm
Wilson, I watched quite a bit of the KState win over ATM and kept thinking maybe Snyder retires and BB takes that job as a way to save face.

I also watched some of OKState whipping Colorado and thought Gundy would be our best bet. His defense played well and his offense looked very good. Didn't he show interest in our job along with BB?

Has anyone asked K-State folks if they actually would want to hire Bielema? Y'all seem to be assuming a lot.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Bigmac2

I don't see BB going to KState. There a couple of long tenured Co-Offensive Coordinators that would be in line. KState is much like Wisconsin in that it is not necessarily the Head Coach but the process that the football program has in place to make it successful. I see KState continuing successfully without Snyder as the head coach. They have an AD that has been there since 2009 that seems to know what he is doing and having success at it. For some reason we do not have that process in place. I thought that was what we were getting with BB and we still may. This all may be a bump in the road but it is a very large bump and it is taking us two steps back. These last 2 games the curtain has been pulled back and we see who the Wizard of Oz really is.

Dr. Starcs

Gundy could be tired of always playing second fiddle to the Sooners.

But it seems like he signed a big extension in the offseason.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 30, 2016, 12:32:08 pm
Has anyone asked K-State folks if they actually would want to hire Bielema? Y'all seem to be assuming a lot.

It's gonna take a lot of lipstick for a pig that size.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 30, 2016, 12:32:08 pm

Lol that's the hard truth. They may rather have a hot up and comer assistant than a guy who is struggling to stay above .500 after 4 years.

hawgmasta

Gundy grew out that Mullet. I think he's secretly letting Jeff Long know he's interested. Sly move Gundy, you slick son of a . .

hogsanity

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 30, 2016, 12:34:16 pm

he cant recruit enough talent to win the big12 but yea he can come here and recruit enough to win the sec. some of you obviously have no grasp on reality.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Medic821

Coach B aint goin any where people sorry..

Razorbackers

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 30, 2016, 12:26:32 pm

Yeah I missed that PC where Jeff said that he cares more about grades than wins.

lakecityhog

How about this reality-----Could he do any worse???

Oklahawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 30, 2016, 12:34:16 pm

Gundy had a very public toe-stubbing recently. It matters in this conversation.

Gundy had contact with Baylor about their job. His contract extension, a source of controversy last summer because it hadn't happened, was approved but coach never signed it. It seems that it did not add dollars to the two new years (2020 and 2021, I think). He has a lukewarm relationship with T Boone Pickens.

His recruiting is not what it was a few years ago but he still regularly finds good 3-star talent that can win a lot of games. I don't think his current recruiting metrics would produce anything noticeably better than what we've got right now.

He is clearly willing to look, and he definitely wanted a look at UA when CBB was hired.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawgon

I really can't see anyone wanting BB.  Of course, one way it could happen is that Snyder probably gets to pick his successor.  He might pick him.