Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual Threat QB

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, December 30, 2016, 10:50:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Fans have continuously questioned Bielema's stubborn mindset when it comes to the QB position. The game is changing and a running qb seems to be a necessity now, so why haven't we gone after one? I believe the answer has been right in front of us the entire time. Bielema is strong in his belief that everything has to be done a certain way. Everything from A - Z has to be planned and then executed precisely in order. The play of a dual threat QB is the exact opposite of that mindset. When plays break down and things fall apart, that's when a dual threat makes things happen. Its organized chaos and very much unpredictable. For an old fashioned guy like Bielema that style of play is more of a liability than an asset. I could easily be wrong, but it seems logical.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Razorbackers

Alexa, find me an SEC caliber dual threat QB.

*beep beep*

Sportster365

Problem is, if you look he's not even recruiting a DT type of guy. The two potentials we had ended up leaving or getting moved to ST.

We've been struggling, and in our run first philosophy it always seemed to make sense to add an element of the read option to our game. We can be a really explosive running team (especially when our OL had Pittman) and if Bielema's hanging his hat on running the ball then he better seriously consider the DT and read option soon, he's career as a HC could depend on it.

VictoryRedChevy

I absolutely agree.

I was thinking this in a game earlier this year when Austin was getting killed.

Hardcore Hoggy

Austin Allen IS a dual threat QB

There is a threat that he may fumble, and there is a threat that he may throw an INT.

Dual threat.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: VictoryRedChevy on December 30, 2016, 10:59:39 am
I absolutely agree.

I was thinking this in a game earlier this year when Austin was getting killed.
there are some things that a pocket QB can do in order to not get sacked...ie, thrown the friggn ball away...Brandon learned that and we had second and 10 instead of 2nd and 17...huge difference
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on December 30, 2016, 11:01:39 am
Austin Allen IS a dual threat QB

There is a threat that he may fumble, and there is a threat that he may throw an INT.

Dual threat.

Lol
This is my non-signature signature.

Razorbackers

Ok, everyone come take a knee.

Everyone would love a true dual threat QB. The problem is they are rare. That's why they won so many Heismans. Because there was only 1 or 2 that were worth a crap at any given time. Tebow, Cam, RG3, Johnny Football, Dak....that's 5 guys. For every team to share, I guess.

When you get down to the less than stellar DT Qbs, you get your Dobbs, and Marshalls, and Trevor Knights....they won't win you games. They can make plays with their legs, but they won't win you the games you guys think they will win.

A pro system is fine. Between Kelley, Hyatt, and Noland...CBB is gonna have some big time players at QB going forward. Our issue IS NOT THE QB. Austin made some big mistakes this year, but we don't win what we won without him.

Stop banking on a once in a generation players to walk through the door. Mobile QBs are great when you can find them. Go find them. It's hard.

Sir Oinksalot

...I love the duel threat qb., it's like having two players, an extra rb and a thrower ....

We need a Quinn Grovey  type, he could fake you out of your jock and he learned how
to be a proficient passer...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Sportster365

Austin didn't have the luxury of playing behind such a talented offensive line as Brandon did. Nor did he have the luxury of having 2 NFL caliber RBs to hand the ball off to.

No way can you lay this at the foot of Austin. He's a much better QB than his brother was. Another huge mistake by CBB by not recognizing it.

hogsanity

Ask Gus about building your whole offense around having a Cam Newton. Works great IF YOU HAVE A CAM NEWTON, other wise looks like crap.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 30, 2016, 11:03:18 am
there are some things that a pocket QB can do in order to not get sacked...ie, thrown the friggn ball away...Brandon learned that and we had second and 10 instead of 2nd and 17...huge difference
People talked about his completion percentage being too low, but it wasn't because of incomplete passes. He just threw away a lot of balls
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Sir Oinksalot

Johnny football wasn't a prized recruit ...

Razorbackers

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 30, 2016, 11:08:20 am
Austin didn't have the luxury of playing behind such a talented offensive line as Brandon did. Nor did he have the luxury of having 2 NFL caliber RBs to hand the ball off to.

No way can you lay this at the foot of Austin. He's a much better QB than his brother was. Another huge mistake by CBB by not recognizing it.

Brandon was better than Austin while he was here.

Are you suggesting that BA, an NFL drafted QB, should have been benched during his senior year for his brother?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 30, 2016, 11:05:32 am

Everyone would love a true dual threat QB. The problem is they are rare. That's why they won so many Heismans. Because there was only 1 or 2 that were worth a crap at any given time. Tebow, Cam, RG3, Johnny Football, Dak....that's 5 guys. For every team to share, I guess.

When you get down to the less than stellar DT Qbs, you get your Dobbs, and Marshalls, and Trevor Knights....they won't win you games. They can make plays with their legs, but they won't win you the games you guys think they will win.

A pro system is fine. Between Kelley, Hyatt, and Noland...CBB is gonna have some big time players at QB going forward. Our issue IS NOT THE QB. Austin made some big mistakes this year, but we don't win what we won without him.

Stop banking on a once in a generation players to walk through the door. Mobile QBs are great when you can find them. Go find them. It's hard.
This thread wasn't about us needing a dual threat QB, just an insight as to why our coach doesn't go after them. Nothing more, nothing less

Sportster365

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 30, 2016, 11:05:32 am

I think you're hugely underestimating the play of DT QBs in the college game right now. Clemson has had two different DTs who now both will have competed for a national title. The year ND made it to the final game it was with a DT. Ohio St last year and this year as well. 3 of the top 4 teams in the country now are DT guys. Just look last night even. VT came back and hurt us with a DT guy.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 30, 2016, 11:08:20 am

Once again, this thread has nothing to do with Austin allen. He IS a very good QB, but this was about Bielemas possible mind set when it comes to dual threats

Razorbackers

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 30, 2016, 11:12:28 am
This thread wasn't about us needing a dual threat QB, just an insight as to why our coach doesn't go after them. Nothing more, nothing less

Sure, but your argument is silly from the jump. Bielema isn't refusing to sign a DT QB, it's that DT QBs are rare and this isn't a position where we've had trouble getting highly recruited commits, especially in the next 2 classes.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on December 30, 2016, 11:11:13 am

Johnny football wasn't a prized recruit ...
Just talking about dual threats, no recruitment or stars smh

Sir Oinksalot

...we need a leader, you would like it to be a Qb. but we don't have a real leader ...

Razorbackers

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 30, 2016, 11:13:13 am
I think you're hugely underestimating the play of DT QBs in the college game right now. Clemson has had two different DTs who now both will have competed for a national title. The year ND made it to the final game it was with a DT. Ohio St last year and this year as well. 3 of the top 4 teams in the country now are DT guys. Just look last night even. VT came back and hurt us with a DT guy.

VTs QB also threw a horrible pick and was shut down in the first half. Our collapse is not about how good he was, but about how badly we played in the 2nd half.

Yeah, there are like, 5 teams out there right now with game changing DT qbs. Bama, Clemson, FSU, Louisville, and tOSU.

I never said they aren't effective. I said that finding them is very hard.

Sportster365

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 30, 2016, 11:12:00 am
Brandon was better than Austin while he was here.

Are you suggesting that BA, an NFL drafted QB, should have been benched during his senior year for his brother?

BA should have been benched well before his Senior year. It shouldn't have even come to that. But make no mistakes about it, BA senior year was his best by far. I can't say truly say we lost a game because of him that year. But with a better QB, in my opinion Austin, we could have won a couple more of those games that we lost. And Prior to BAs Senior season we can attribute a number of Arkansas losses at the foot of Brandon Allen and to be fair probably Chaney as well.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on December 30, 2016, 11:15:20 am

...we need a leader, you would like it to be a Qb. but we don't have a real leader ...
What are you talking about

Razorbackers

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 30, 2016, 11:17:31 am
BA should have been benched well before his Senior year. It shouldn't have even come to that. But make no mistakes about it, BA senior year was his best by far. I can't say truly say we lost a game because of him that year. But with a better QB, in my opinion Austin, we could have won a couple more of those games that we lost. And Prior to BAs Senior season we can attribute a number of Arkansas losses at the foot of Brandon Allen and to be fair probably Chaney as well.

Austin was not better than Brandon last year. And certainly not 2 years ago.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 30, 2016, 11:14:13 am
Sure, but your argument is silly from the jump. Bielema isn't refusing to sign a DT QB, it's that DT QBs are rare and this isn't a position where we've had trouble getting highly recruited commits, especially in the next 2 classes.
The last true dual threat guy we had on campus was Brandon Mitchell, and bielema didn't recruit him. Yes good dual threats are hard to find but we don't go after any (I watch recruiting very closely). Not saying that's a problem, just stating facts

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 30, 2016, 11:19:02 am
Austin was not better than Brandon last year. And certainly not 2 years ago.

Panthog

Arkansas does have a dual threat QB coming in next year.....to play receiver. Jarrod Barnes. Ask JJ Meadors how good he could be in a wide open offense if given the chance at QB.