Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There is So Much I Like About Bielema's Formula.......However...

Started by threeNout, December 30, 2016, 09:30:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

there is a part of that formula that causes us to collapse in the 2nd half, and I can't figure out for the life of me what the poison is.

Playing Old school football, I like it.

High GPAs and almost everyone graduates,  I love it.

Small % of off the field problems,  I love that too.

No reason to think we can't be successful and compete for the West doing those things, those things aren't the problem.

I'll be clear on this point, as long as we are winning 7-8 a year, graduating everyone, and developing character, with few off field issues, than I'll be happy.  I wouldn't want to see CBB go.

But what is the poison?

It needs to be identified, extracted, and burned.

Then maybe the formula would be good enough to produce what we all want.

Ironhawg

Razorbackers

Quote from: threeNout on December 30, 2016, 09:30:32 am
there is a part of that formula that causes us to collapse in the 2nd half, and I can't figure out for the life of me what the poison is.

No reason to think we can't be successful and compete for the West doing those things, those things aren't the problem.

I'll be clear on this point, as long as we are winning 7-8 a year, graduating everyone, and developing character, with few off field issues, than I'll be happy.  I wouldn't want to see CBB go.

But what is the poison?

I mostly agree. But I also want to see the improvement on the field, and we didn't see it this year. Had we won 1 of these last 2 games, then I'd be content with where we currently are. But the regression, especially in spectacular fashion like we've had this season in big moments, is a problem.

I don't mind losing so much as I mind getting blown out, which has happened multiple times this season.

I don't mind losing so much as I mind losing a lead in an amazing and unfathomable way, which happened multiple times this season.

If we had this record, but kept it close down the stretch, I'd be a lot happier. I predicted 8 wins this year so 7 isn't so far off. But jeez. These past 2 games have really soured me on Bielema. I don't know how he can win me back aside from winning at least 8-9 games next year. And that will just make me content again, it won't get me giddy.

Atlhogfan1

Part of the problem is we don't have the pieces to execute the formula - mainly the oline.  The formula is to run the football and keep the football.  We couldn't the second half of the last two games.  Two good DC's had an easy time making us one dimensional and pressuring Allen which led to mistakes. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

threeNout

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 30, 2016, 09:57:22 am
Part of the problem is we don't have the pieces to execute the formula - mainly the oline.  The formula is to run the football and keep the football.  We couldn't the second half of the last two games.  Two good DC's had an easy time making us one dimensional and pressuring Allen which led to mistakes. 

that's probably as good an answer as we are going to get.

still seems to be something else that's just hard to pin down.

Hawgndaaz

O line was near perfect in the first half.

Our problem is lack of adjusting to adversity and situational awareness. We were outschemed in the 2nd half, and had no answer to their uptempo blitz packages.

I honestly thought Bielema would run this place like a Standford type program.

His mission is phenomenal, but his process is lacking.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on December 30, 2016, 10:07:24 am
O line was near perfect in the first half.

Our problem is lack of adjusting to adversity and situational awareness. We were outschemed in the 2nd half, and had no answer to their uptempo blitz packages.

I honestly thought Bielema would run this place like a Standford type program.

His mission is phenomenal, but his process is lacking.

With a strong oline, Foster's blitzes would have been negated by RWIII and Whaley.  As it was, we had no run game so it was impossible to put the game away as Bielema would have otherwise.

Our oline was helped in the first half by VT overreacting way too much to play action.  Take out the sacks and we ran the ball for 49 yards.  RWIII 12 carries for 34 yards and Whaley 5 for 1 yard.  ONE YARD.   

Before some moron says it, yes the oline situation is on the coaches as we have repeatedly discussed.  Recruiting was not where it needed to be in numbers nor was development.  Hopefully this is being fixed. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bville_hog

Quote from: threeNout on December 30, 2016, 09:30:32 am

But what is the poison?

There is too much about what he says is his formula that never translates to what we see each week on the field.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Im honestly not sold on Anderson as OL coach. Im not sold on either line coaches for that matter
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: bville_hog on December 30, 2016, 10:18:29 am
There is too much about what he says is his formula that never translates to what we see each week on the field.

Yep. the chest thumping needs to stop immediately. It's time for him to walk softly.

LJHOG

DeltaBoy

He not winning the Recruitment battles and after a Month off I expected more for him and his staff and the Team.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kevin

To execute his formula, the team has to play with discipline.  This team did not
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Rzbakfromwaybak

The only "formula" we need right now, is the one that = Wins.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Hogsmo Kramer

Our adjustments off their adjustments were terrible to non existent.

In the second half offensively they started taking advantage of us playing off and started dinking and dunking us to death which in turn allowed their QB to get into a rhythm and their O to start churning. They knew we wouldn't creep to the line and press for fear of getting burned over the top or across the middle for chunk yards so it just continued and they finally started rolling, not to mention the D was tired and put in awful situations by the TO's the offense coughed up.

Offensively we couldn't run and once they figured that out the game plan became simple, to take away the pass. And to do so they started bringing pressure off the edge to get to AA and rattle him, and rattle him they did. You could tell just by watching it that the hogs had lost confidence on both sides of the ball and V Tech had gained it by executing their halftime adjustments well. They smelled blood in the water and knew when pressed our boys would fold, just like the Mizzou game.

The problem though is this. Stuff like that happens to teams sometimes. Sometimes they're off, and playing like crap, but a good coach can settle them down and right the ship. Bielema for some reason doesn't seem to know how to do this and can't find a way to right the ship again once it starts listing.

It's a serious problem unfortunately without a simple answer, and I have lost zero confidence in him as a coach at this point and I'm afraid our players have to. He's lost this team plain and simple and that's become more and more clear after the two epic meltdowns back to back that we just witnessed.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi