Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What coach

Started by HAWG MAFIA, December 30, 2016, 08:44:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HAWG MAFIA

would want to come to AR with the expectations of our fan base?

RazorWest

I'm sure there are plenty.  Arkansas likely will follow the route of everyone else in the SEC and hire an up and comer or a coordinator instead of a proven commodity.  I'm not sure Arkansas is going to lure a big name, but who cares.  Go out and find a coach that has something to prove and lock him down if he turns out to be a stud.

pfrg999

Yes.. Lose like this at Alabama see what happens... Look what Happened to Les Miles Averaged a HELL of a lot more wins than BigBert & He was FIRED .. Pleasw Dont Count Whisky/Alvarez wins He didnt cause or create those.. Just HIS SEC record ... It's Bad
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HAWG MAFIA on December 30, 2016, 08:44:45 am

Most coaches have higher expectations for themselves than fans. They are however more realistic in whether or not expectations and goals can be reached as much or often as fans want. We have hired quite a few good coaches and they KNEW about the Hogs fanbase passion. THAT probably helped them take the job instead of not taking it. They would much rather prefer a fanbase that is passionate than one that is not.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogarusa

Why cant Arkansas figure out what system works best to contend in the SEc with 3 star recruits and go out and find coaches that know/coach the system? We dont need to be a destination or a program that pays $4 million per year.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

AirWarren

It doesn't matter what coach. The location of the team causes us to lack in everything.

Take a look at Justin Fuentes. He won big at Memphis. Memphis is 5 hours from fayetteville. That man was winning with less in a city that is lacking a lot. He then goes to Va tech. Tradition. Great recruiting base. And now a coach that has won 10 games in year one. Location. Location. Location.

Like it or not, Wisconsin is a better and easier place to recruit to. You are in proximity to Chicago, Michigan cities, Ohio hotbeds. They continue to put out better teams and better seasons.

Good luck winning in Fayetteville, AR when recruiting base consists of Fayetteville high, prairie grove, Harrison and Branson.

elksnort

when you are winning 24 to nothing at halftime you ought to expect to win the game. This is my expectation.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pfrg999 on December 30, 2016, 08:50:50 am
Yes.. Lose like this at Alabama see what happens... Look what Happened to Les Miles Averaged a HELL of a lot more wins that BigBert FIRED .. Dont Count Whisky/Alvarez wins He didnt cause or create those.. SEC wins..

It is rare for coaches to leave one good P5 program for another without being fired from it. Les and Bret and a few others have done so. They KNOW what they are getting themselves into. They thrive on challenges or they never would have become a coach to begin with.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: pfrg999 on December 30, 2016, 08:50:50 am
Yes.. Lose like this at Alabama see what happens... Look what Happened to Les Miles Averaged a HELL of a lot more wins than BigBert & He was FIRED .. Pleasw Dont Count Whisky/Alvarez wins He didnt cause or create those.. Just HIS SEC record ... It's Bad
...dumb....
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HawgcallWPS

You mean playing competitively against our divisional opponents and not blowing back to back 2nd half leads, one against one of the worse teams in our conference and the other representing 25% of the losses that have occurred in the last decade with a 24 point halftime lead? Or are you referring to the expectations of an SEC team beating Toledo at home? Yeah that's just unreasonable!

MountieDawg

WTH... If a coach comes in here without high expectations..... HE SHOULD NOT COME HERE!!!  CBB came in saying he came here TO WIN THE SEC AND THATS WHAT HE IS GOING TO DO!  On the day he was hired, I don't have the transcripts from the press conference, but I don't remember him saying, I CAME HERE TO GET THE TEAM TO A 3.5 GPA AND ALMOST WIN HALF OUR GAMES AND THAT IS WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO!
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

We don't have a history of hiring up and comers post-Broyles.  Crowe and Nutt. 
Quote from: AP85 on December 30, 2016, 08:52:59 am
It doesn't matter what coach. The location of the team causes us to lack in everything.

Take a look at Justin Fuentes. He won big at Memphis. Memphis is 5 hours from fayetteville. That man was winning with less in a city that is lacking a lot. He then goes to Va tech. Tradition. Great recruiting base. And now a coach that has won 10 games in year one. Location. Location. Location.

Like it or not, Wisconsin is a better and easier place to recruit to. You are in proximity to Chicago, Michigan cities, Ohio hotbeds. They continue to put out better teams and better seasons.

Good luck winning in Fayetteville, AR when recruiting base consists of Fayetteville high, prairie grove, Harrison and Branson.

It isn't easier to recruit to Wisconsin.  Difference is the depth of competition as their competitors in their division have the same Midwest wasteland of a recruiting base.  Bielema also benefitted from Mich, Oh St and Penn St having some issues. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

AirWarren

Meanwhile. Wisconsin is 10-3 this year. Been consistent winners since Bret's departure. And they are 10-3 with a solid Michigan, Ohio state, and penn state this year.

But ok. Keep the wool over your eyes and recruit the hell out of Harrison.

Bebop

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 30, 2016, 08:58:22 am
We don't have a history of hiring up and comers post-Broyles.  Crowe and Nutt. 
It isn't easier to recruit to Wisconsin.  Difference is the depth of competition as their competitors in their division have the same Midwest wasteland of a recruiting base.  Bielema also benefitted from Mich, Oh St and Penn St having some issues.

That and I think it is becoming more apparent that Alvarez helped established a system that Bielema could work in while possibly helping Bielema in the process. Bielema has been/was riding the coattails of Alvarez, in my opinion.

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

NuttinItUp

We give a lot longer than most fanbases. If Bielema had won one of the last two he would still be held in high regard. If he goes on a winning streak next year, all will be forgiven.

hawganatic

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 30, 2016, 08:52:44 am
Why cant Arkansas figure out what system works best to contend in the SEc with 3 star recruits and go out and find coaches that know/coach the system? We dont need to be a destination or a program that pays $4 million per year.

That 4 mill a year puts us at 8th in the conference.  Not sure why people keep pointing to that like it's an exorbitant number anymore...

thefisher

The absolute dearth of instate recruiting base talent is why no known quality coach will come to Fayetteville.  The players simply don't live in the geographic area to create a roster than can compete with some of the SEC West.

For example, Bama, has 80 total players signed that were rated at 4-5 stars of the last four years.  Arkansas has 25.

Bama has signed 25 players rated at 5 stars over the last 4 years.  Arkansas has 1.

That has been shown over and over and beaten to death.

Couple those cold hard facts of reality with the insanity of the fan base to aggressively go after its coaches, fly planes, FIA records, ect.  No coach in his right mind would want any part of the place.  The money is high enough some would be tempted ... but ones that are true top tier would not give Arkansas a second look.

A young up and comer ... only if he couldn't get a spot at another school in much better recruiting grounds with a fan base that hasn't created toxic relations with a coach for decades. Some of the smaller Texas, Florida, and Ohio schools are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better options to make a name for yourself.  Get three or four solid recruiting classes in one of them and you might just win an AAC, CUSA, MAC, or Sunbelt championship.  Each of those conferences has multiple teams with far, far, easier roads to success than at Arkansas.

Why ...Why ... tell me why in the world would a great quality established coach, or cutting edge up and comer, ever want to come to Arkansas at this point?

I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

pfrg999

You must hate the Hogs... I mean Bad.. Troll
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: AP85 on December 30, 2016, 09:02:44 am
Meanwhile. Wisconsin is 10-3 this year. Been consistent winners since Bret's departure. And they are 10-3 with a solid Michigan, Ohio state, and penn state this year.

I think Bret was a head coach with a great program structure and really good assistants around him. Look the the former assistants on his staff and what they are doing coaching.

AirWarren

Quote from: pfrg999 on December 30, 2016, 09:10:34 am
You must hate the Hogs... I mean Bad.. Troll

Wrong. Far from a hog hater.

But I am realistic. And clowns like you don't like realistic. Nwa is no man's land.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Bebop on December 30, 2016, 09:03:53 am
That and I think it is becoming more apparent that Alvarez helped established a system that Bielema could work in while possibly helping Bielema in the process. Bielema has been/was riding the coattails of Alvarez, in my opinion.

Ok, so the new coach isn't riding the coat tails of Bielema taking the program even higher than Alvarez did?

Can't have it both ways.

They are 1-3 against ranked opponents, I believe. They lost to all those teams you listed.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bebop on December 30, 2016, 09:03:53 am

The system is fine.  Finding, recruiting to Arkansas and developing the players to run it was going to be the test for Bielema.  Has to get the oline fixed asap or there is no hope. 

Alvarez established Wisconsin over many seasons.  It isn't a quick fix or quick implement system.  Once built though it is sustainable as long as the oline recruiting, development and retention remains good. 

Wisconsin also doesn't have to have the athletes on defense to play in the B1G West we do to play the spread offense athletes here and in our Big 12 matchup. 

tbhogfan

Someone who wants to be one of 12 SEC coaches, who wants to have some of the best facilities around, and who wants to be paid millions of dollars, and have an institution willing to open its pocketbooks to ensure that you can get and keep top assistants. 

Someone who wants to play his home games in a palace with 75,000 rabid fans cheering for his team.

Let me ask you a question:  When was the last time you heard a Head Coach introduced who said his goal in year 4 was to have a losing conference record and have two horrific second half collapses to end the season?

I'd say that if the job came open tomorrow, there would be at least 40 discreet contacts to Jeff Long.
Go Hogs!

ricepig

You really hate the "white man",  don't you, lol?

East TN HAWG

Quote from: RazorWest on December 30, 2016, 08:49:02 am
I'm sure there are plenty.  Arkansas likely will follow the route of everyone else in the SEC and hire an up and comer or a coordinator instead of a proven commodity.  I'm not sure Arkansas is going to lure a big name, but who cares.  Go out and find a coach that has something to prove and lock him down if he turns out to be a stud.

P5 coaches don't typically leave P5 jobs for other P5 jobs unless they are forced or will soon be forced to leave.  CBB is a rare exception.  USC - Asst Coach, UGA- Asst Coach, FL- CO ST, Ten- Cincy, MS St-Asst Coach, Aub-AR St, OM- AR St, LSU- Asst Coach, AM-Houston. 

We are not any better than any of these schools.  If you fire your coach, the chance of landing a big time coach is very rare.  Not because we are little ole Arkansas, but it happens everywhere.  Simply a fact of coaching turnover.  Most likely you will hire a asst somewhere or small school coach. 

hogpowr

Should have fired Long, and kept Petrino.

If we ever have a great coach again, he can lie to anyone he wants to.
Welcome Coach Bielema!

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 09:22:29 am
You really hate the "white man",  don't you, lol?

Incredibly stupid response by a hog shoe shiner. You can do better than that. Ha

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AP85 on December 30, 2016, 09:14:12 am

But I am realistic. And clowns like you don't like realistic. Nwa is no man's land.

Obviously you've never been to some of the locations of our conference brethren OR even so of the locations of MANY P5 teams. Fayetteville gets high marks over a LOT of them. In fact MOST of them.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 30, 2016, 08:52:44 am
Why cant Arkansas figure out what system works best to contend in the SEc with 3 star recruits and go out and find coaches that know/coach the system?

because there is no system that is going to do that. You can not go to a gun fight with a Derringer when the other guy has a bazooka.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bubba's Bruisers

More like NWA is a far away place offering a school with mediocre football tradition.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

lakecityhog

1st, didn't Gundy show real interest in our job?

2nd, Don't you dare try to tell me that Stillwater, Lincoln, Colombia, Waco, Starkville and MANY other college towns have more to offer than Fayetteville. Something that the really smart kids look at is job opportunities after football and NWA is crawling with them!!!

1. Nick Saban   Alabama   $7.09 million
2. Kevin Sumlin   Texas A&M   $5 million
3. Hugh Freeze   Ole Miss   $4.7 million#
4. Les Miles   LSU   $4.39 million
5. Gus Malzahn   Auburn   $4.35 million
6. Jim McElwain   Florida   $4.25 million
7. Butch Jones   Tennessee   $4.13 million
8. Bret Bielema   Arkansas   $4.06 million
9. Dan Mullen   Mississippi State   $4 million^
10. Kirby Smart   Georgia   $3.75 million
11. Mark Stoops   Kentucky   $3.5 million
12. Will Muschamp   South Carolina   $3 million
13. Barry Odom   Missouri   $2.35 million

Coaches 5 thru 9 are within a few hundred thousand dollars of each other and remember BB actually took less so he could pay his assistants more. So that "low pay" thing is a lot of CRAP!

RazorPiggie

Harrison?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 30, 2016, 09:54:48 am
1st, didn't Gundy show real interest in our job?

2nd, Don't you dare try to tell me that Stillwater, Lincoln, Colombia, Waco, Starkville and MANY other college towns have more to offer than Fayetteville. Something that the really smart kids look at is job opportunities after football and NWA is crawling with them!!!

Ok St, Nebraska, Baylor aren't relevant to our situation.  With the brand faded, Nebraska is a has been program who hasn't been relevant to college football since 2001.  Midwest recruiting base caught up to them. 

Proximity to African American population matters in football recruiting.  It is why the NC's come from where they do along with most of those who play for it. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 30, 2016, 10:05:49 am

Proximity to African American population matters in football recruiting.  It is why the NC's come from where they do along with most of those who play for it. 

That is the reality of it, and the thing no one wants to address.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorbackers

ARE WE REALLY GOING TO GO DOWN THIS PATH, GUYS? lol

tzthib

You mean the expectations that our team won't blow 24 point leads with regularity? That they will show up for 4 quarters?

Razorbax

The facts do not agree with this.....Wisky has averaged around mid 30s in recruiting these last 4 years and finished behind us every year (I went back to 2013 class which was CBB's first class)). Also, this proximity is not true. They barely average 1.5 players a year from Ohio and Michigan combined. Chicago was harder to identify because of the suburbs. Matter of fact, they get almost the same number of signees from Florida and also from Georgia of all places. Wisky gets about half of their recruits from the Mid-West. The other half from states like Georgia, Florida, Texas and the West.

The Boar War

Quote from: hogpowr on December 30, 2016, 09:28:17 am
Should have fired Long, and kept Petrino.

If we ever have a great coach again, he can lie to anyone he wants to.

I know this is bringing up old shite but how did Long come away from that with no culpability?  Didn't he have to "sign on" to that hire?  Shouldn't it have raised red flags when Petrino hired a tall blonde with no qualifications over other applicants who had held that same position at other schools?

Razorbackers

Quote from: Razorbax on December 30, 2016, 10:11:58 am
The facts do not agree with this.....Wisky has averaged around mid 30s in recruiting these last 4 years and finished behind us every year (I went back to 2013 class which was CBB's first class)). Also, this proximity is not true. They barely average 1.5 players a year from Ohio and Michigan combined. Chicago was harder to identify because of the suburbs. Matter of fact, they get almost the same number of signees from Florida and also from Georgia of all places. Wisky gets about half of their recruits from the Mid-West. The other half from states like Georgia, Florida, Texas and the West.

Its almost like they recruit similarly to Arkansas but play far less competition week in and week out! lol

lakecityhog

Razor, you can tell these people the truth over and over and over, it won't sink in! It is much easier to make an excuse that to accept the truth. M Smith is getting some really highly rated kids to visit, we FAIL to close the deal. Our other excuse-- EVERYONE else cheats!

Proximity isn't the issue, if it was why do we see kids from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas and even Arkansas go to places like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska and Michigan? Sure having a winning program helps, but hard work and having the ability to close matters.

Back to the OP--- My question would be How many coaches would line up to come here? Given the low expectations of a lot of the fan base and the administration!

Hogswarts

I don't know how you figure NWA is "no man's land". If you do any travelling at all you would know how nice it is. But the reasons I like it so much are probably the same reasons that a lot of young kids from rougher parts of the south do not.

jackflash

I don't have any problem with BB expectation he wants to win it all. I don't like some of assistants he's  hired. Going to be interesting on what he does

lakecityhog

By the way, the irrelevant Nebraska team is 9-3 and OSU just dismantled the PAC12 runner-up. But you go right ahead and dismiss them. My point was and still is that if a coach can recruit to those schools he could surely recruit to Fayetteville.

wachhog

Have you ever been to Blacksburg,  Virginia? It has much more in common with West, By Gosh, Virginia.

. You don't know what you are talking about.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: jackflash on December 30, 2016, 10:28:09 am
I don't have any problem with BB expectation he wants to win it all. I don't like some of assistants he's  hired. Going to be interesting on what he does

This is my opinion as well.  I have not jumped off the CBB wagon yet.  I am now thinking about it though.  If  he makes some changes, then I will stick with him.  If he continues the status quo, I will be off before spring practice. 

wachhog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 10:09:04 am
That is the reality of it, and the thing no one wants to address.
Have you ever been to Blacksburg? Hint: It is not named that because if its AA population.

Razorbax

In the past maybe. but there is a strong argument that the B10 is the stronger conference this year and the rank teams not named Alabama are overrated.See the current bowl record.
Quote from: Razorbackers on December 30, 2016, 10:14:39 am
Its almost like they recruit similarly to Arkansas but play far less competition week in and week out! lol

elksnort

Good God, will you quit about the recruiting issues. Anyone that knows anything realizes you are correct about the lack of very good players in NWA and for that matter our 2.9 people state. Every once in a while we get lucky with a town like your are from producing 3 studs in one year-Warren.
But the recruiting goes to East Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Florida, where ever.

This team HAS ENOUGH TALENT NOW to play better and more consistently than they are playing. We were up 24-0 against a darn good football team. You can do this without any talent.

The issue is the lack of player and head coach leadership, so it appears.

Arkansas needs a very clever and super hard working coach in order to succeed consistently. It looks like CBB is not that guy.

Hardcore Hoggy

The "hard to recruit to Arkansas" line is true, but had little, well nothing, to do with what happened last night..

ANY reasonable person would expect a team that jumped to a 24-0 halftime lead to win that game.