Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Mountian Lions

Started by Hogjawls, December 16, 2008, 07:08:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorReb

January 21, 2009, 01:26:34 pm #150 Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:08:50 am by RazorReb
I know for sure there are mountain Lions in Arkansas. I have seen two myself in my life.  Both of these being in the Ozarks. Anywhere you have a large amount of deer you will have mountain Lions. That is their natural food.

THExONE

Quote from: linkshog on January 21, 2009, 11:51:06 am
HAVING TROUBLE POSTING PICTURES.  SOMEONE PM ME AND I'LL FORWARD THE PICTURES TO BE POSTED.  SORRY A/B THE ALL CAPS.

I got your pictures and will post shortly for you.
If at first you dont suceed, so much for sky diving.......

deshahawg

I got an interesting take on this subject today in my zoology class. My professor says that AGFC acknowledges that there are not mountain lions in Arkansas because the mountain lions that are seen here are just passing through. They have been known to range from Wyoming to New York. Therefore, the lions that are seen in Arkansas are thought to just be passing through. We do not have a sustained population here in Arkansas of lions that stay here all the time. Henceforth, the commission says that we do not have lions in Arkansas.

Hope this helps.

THExONE

Quote from: linkshog on January 21, 2009, 11:51:06 am
HAVING TROUBLE POSTING PICTURES.  SOMEONE PM ME AND I'LL FORWARD THE PICTURES TO BE POSTED.  SORRY A/B THE ALL CAPS.

here you go.....

hogcoots

Pictures aren't from Arkansas.  These have been published in a newspaper article in one of the western States...Idaho, Oregon or the Dakotas.  These have already made the rounds on the internet with every State in the Union claiming the location.

THExONE

Quote from: hogcoots on January 21, 2009, 05:46:23 pm
Pictures aren't from Arkansas.  These have been published in a newspaper article in one of the western States...Idaho, Oregon or the Dakotas.  These have already made the rounds on the internet with every State in the Union claiming the location.
I know nothing just posted them for linkshog

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: hogcoots on January 21, 2009, 05:46:23 pm
It goes back to the South won.. Show me a carcass of a lion shot here in Arkansas. You can't. They are not here. Oh the tales Grandad tells may fool inbreeds, It does not fool me.

The Black Panther myth has been passed on to fools who belive it.

Has one Moutain Lion been brought to the DFG in Arkansas in the last 10 years that was not shot elsewhere to fuel the myth?

Nope.. They are not here.. If they are..Find one..OR SHUT THE HELL UP.
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

kodiakisland

January 21, 2009, 10:18:34 pm #158 Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:23:37 pm by kodiakisland
Here is a picture of a mountain lion that has made the internet rounds over the years claiming to be killed in every state in the US and a few other countries as well.  I've always got to laugh becasue thats one of my friends in the picture and know the full story of when and where it was killed.

It also makes me laugh when half the people in Arkansas claim to have seen one of these lurking around their back yard, but have never seen a bear or bobcat here.  I guess everyone has seen one because they are so big.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/hunting/mountainlion.asp#photo

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Hawgon

I see four or five bobcat every deer season nowadays.  Last season I saw ten. 

Bears are pretty common and it really isn't unusual for them to be seen nowadays.  I've seen one in recent years.  The caught one in the city limits of Texarkana last year.  DeQueen has one or two a year now.  All the trash cans at Albert Pike are bear proof because there are so many.  There were five who became a nuisance at a dumpster in Wilton.

I've never seen a cougar, but I know several people who claim they have.  I don't really have any reason to doubt them.  They are sane trustworthy people who would know what one looked like if they saw it.

There are more deer in Arkansas than ever before.  Cougars eat deer.  Predators go where the food is.  It is simply common sense that they are here.

Fatmanhog

i lived in bella vista for many years  and the only thing in the eighties between where i lived and the lands of mac county were trafalger road and 340. as a kid i saw many a wolves, bobcats and other creatures god blessed this state with. i have heard the mt lion scream, dont know if that is what it is but i have heard what they say it is. i have seen many wolves, they are huge, much biger n person than what i had thought.

one night my doberman came up the ravine all shook up and at closer look he got his arse kicked by something mean. i had heard the scream and barks of the dog and just thought it was a bobcat since i regularly saw them. but the size of the claw marks on my doberman led me to believe that it was something bigger.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

hogdiggity

January 22, 2009, 07:27:23 am #161 Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:39:17 am by hogdiggity
I work with foresters a lot.  I was talking to two yesterday, both say they have seen Mt. Lion/Panther in Arkansas on several occasions, they are in the woods a lot more than most of us. One says as a kid, he had a tanned hide of a cougar that was killed by his uncle right here in the state of Ark (caught in a snare).  I also work with foresters in Oklahoma, less than an hour away from the Arkansas border by highway is a restaurant I eat at when I go over to a woodyard/forestry office that has a mt. lion mounted in it that was killed just outside of town.  Those foresters see them often, in fact they tell me they have become a nuisance to the farmers in that area.  The fact that animals don't know where state lines are, and that mt. lions are known to have a large range would lead me to believe you would have to be somewhat illogical to believe that these creatures do not cross into the state of Arkansas.  It may very well be as someone stated before that they are passing through.  If this is the case, where do you call home for an animal that is on the move constantly?

Oh and as far as if they exist why hasn't someone killed one and taken it to the AGFC,,,,,,it is against state and federal law, you would probably spend some time in jail and be several thousand dollars poorer.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogdiggity on January 22, 2009, 07:27:23 amIt may very well be as someone stated before that they are passing through.  If this is the case, where do you call home for an animal that is on the move constantly?

Isn't there some sort of migrant facility near Hope?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

DeltaBoy

Yep it is against the law so are only hope is for someone to hit and recover one with a truck or car.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogdiggity

Quote from: HogBreath on January 22, 2009, 07:47:06 am
Isn't there some sort of migrant facility near Hope?

Uhhh, yes there is a migrant workers temporary housing facility in hope....

RazorReb

Quote from: hogdiggity on January 22, 2009, 07:27:23 am
I work with foresters a lot.  I was talking to two yesterday, both say they have seen Mt. Lion/Panther in Arkansas on several occasions, they are in the woods a lot more than most of us. One says as a kid, he had a tanned hide of a cougar that was killed by his uncle right here in the state of Ark (caught in a snare).  I also work with foresters in Oklahoma, less than an hour away from the Arkansas border by highway is a restaurant I eat at when I go over to a woodyard/forestry office that has a mt. lion mounted in it that was killed just outside of town.  Those foresters see them often, in fact they tell me they have become a nuisance to the farmers in that area.  The fact that animals don't know where state lines are, and that mt. lions are known to have a large range would lead me to believe you would have to be somewhat illogical to believe that these creatures do not cross into the state of Arkansas.  It may very well be as someone stated before that they are passing through.  If this is the case, where do you call home for an animal that is on the move constantly?

Oh and as far as if they exist why hasn't someone killed one and taken it to the AGFC,,,,,,it is against state and federal law, you would probably spend some time in jail and be several thousand dollars poorer.

No it is not against federal law to kill a cougar. They are hunted legally in several states. They are not protected in Missouri either. 

hogdiggity

January 22, 2009, 11:41:28 am #166 Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:48:16 am by hogdiggity
Quote from: RazorReb on January 22, 2009, 10:50:45 am
No it is not against federal law to kill a cougar. They are hunted legally in several states. They are not protected in Missouri either. 

Well according to Lousiana (I know we are talking about Arkansas), they are protected by state and federal law.  Federal law covers ALL states...  Here is a quote from the La. Wildlife Dept about the cougar that was killed in Bossier City in November:

"Cougars in Louisiana are protected under state and federal law. Penalties for taking a cougar in Louisiana may include up to one year in jail and/or a $100,000 fine."

http://www.wlf.state.la.us/news/?id=1195

And according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service the cougar is on the endangered species list.  I know some states to have hunting seasons so there has to be exceptions.

RazorReb

January 22, 2009, 12:16:06 pm #167 Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:21:11 pm by RazorReb
Quote from: hogdiggity on January 22, 2009, 11:41:28 am
Well according to Lousiana (I know we are talking about Arkansas), they are protected by state and federal law.  Federal law covers ALL states...  Here is a quote from the La. Wildlife Dept about the cougar that was killed in Bossier City in November:

"Cougars in Louisiana are protected under state and federal law. Penalties for taking a cougar in Louisiana may include up to one year in jail and/or a $100,000 fine."

http://www.wlf.state.la.us/news/?id=1195

And according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service the cougar is on the endangered species list.  I know some states to have hunting seasons so there has to be exceptions.

I guess I am here to teach .

http://www.cougarhunting.com/

That law is a La law, not a federal law. A federal law is made in Washington DC, state laws are made in each state. 

hogdiggity

Quote from: RazorReb on January 22, 2009, 12:16:06 pm
I guess I am here to teach .

http://www.cougarhunting.com/

That law is a La law, not a federal law. A federal law is made in Washington DC, state laws are made in each state. 

You need to go back to civics class before you teach!  Federal law overrides state law.  State and local laws can further restrict federal law but cannot take precidence over federal. 

I know there are hunting seasons in some states, there has to be some expections to the rule.  But the US Fish and Wildlife dept lists cougars as endangered species.  One place I found it speficially references the Easter cougar, but another just said cougar in general. 

Anyway, the fact that the La. Fish and Wildlife says they are protected by federal law lends a little more weight to the fact

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogdiggity on January 22, 2009, 12:31:12 pm
You need to go back to civics class before you teach!  Federal law overrides state law.  State and local laws can further restrict federal law but cannot take precidence over federal. 

I know there are hunting seasons in some states, there has to be some expections to the rule.  But the US Fish and Wildlife dept lists cougars as endangered species.  One place I found it speficially references the Easter cougar, but another just said cougar in general. 

Anyway, the fact that the La. Fish and Wildlife says they are protected by federal law lends a little more weight to the fact

As I understand it, and having read it in AGFC regulations in the past, the Federal restriction pertains to the Florida Panther subspecies.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

RazorReb

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 22, 2009, 12:40:39 pm

As I understand it, and having read it in AGFC regulations in the past, the Federal restriction pertains to the Florida Panther subspecies.

That would be correct Al. but some folks don't know the difference.  The Mountain Lion is not protected period by any federal law. Maybe some state laws, but not many.

hogdiggity

The eastern cougar is not the same as a Florida Panther yet is considered to be endangered.  Evidently the USFW considers anything west of the Mississippi to be a different subspecies.  I admit I was not 100% correct on the endangered species act, but I still take the Louisiana Department of Wildlife's word for that they are federally protected in some way. 

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/ECougar/

hogcoots

Guys, I don't know if there are any mountain lions in Arkansas or not. But I do know that the pictures posted in this thread did not originate in Arkansas.

PIGINAPOKE

Sorry for my last post in here.. I was a bit hasty.. They found one of the famed lions in North Litlle Rock last night. It was dead but is at the DFG offices as we speak.

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

twistitup

They exist in Arkansas...people don't shoot them because they don't want any trouble with the game laws. Most people who have killed a cougar are not running around town showing it off or on Hogville posting pictures that may get them in deep shiite.

Yes, cougars are hunted and legal to kill in certain areas...but, the laws are so confusing that nobody want to take the risk of killing one.

Why is it that cougars are in NE Texas, but there is a belief they are not in AR? Makes no sense!

Better question...Why would cougars NOT be in Arkansas? Do they not want to cross the state line?

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

RazorReb

Quote from: twistitup on January 22, 2009, 07:52:53 pm
They exist in Arkansas...people don't shoot them because they don't want any trouble with the game laws. Most people who have killed a cougar are not running around town showing it off or on Hogville posting pictures that may get them in deep shiite.

Yes, cougars are hunted and legal to kill in certain areas...but, the laws are so confusing that nobody want to take the risk of killing one.

Why is it that cougars are in NE Texas, but there is a belief they are not in AR? Makes no sense!

Better question...Why would cougars NOT be in Arkansas? Do they not want to cross the state line?

If a cougar is endagering you or anything you own you can shoot it without worry. 

spit

Quote from: twistitup on January 22, 2009, 07:52:53 pm
They exist in Arkansas...

Oh, now i'm convinced.  There ARE wild cougars living in arkansas.  Why?  because i can't think of a reason why not.  Why? just because.  Why? They MUST be.  Why?  b/c they're in NE texas.  Why? They're within an hour of the border in many places and that = in arkansas.  Huh?  Oh, NE texas, oklahoma, LA, MO, all those places actually are not IN arkansas.  Might as well say they inhabit the entire north american continent b/c they are known to be there, so that implies for sure they are here, which implies for sure they are an hour from here, an hour from there, and there and there and so on.  you surely get it by now.

sheesh.
Regardless of my personal opinion, it is just insanity to "prove" or "justify" their existence here because they are in a bordering state.  All that proves is that they are living in a bordering state.  Sure, occasionally their natural habits may lead to them crossing the state line unawares but even then they would be "passing through" -- not "living here".  When you folks claim they "MUST" be here b/c its only logical since they are known to live elsewhere you are only giving more ammunition to the people that claim the lions seen here are only passing through from that elsewhere place.

for example
If my buddy from SW ark really saw one, killed it and took pics, I'd say "yeah it was probably just passing thru though b/c according to a guy on hogville twistitup there are plenty of them in NE texas", and he would say "oh, well that makes sense then, i didn't know that, well crap, that figures".  And then go on about his day still believing they don't live in ark even though he actually killed one here.

---- i don't think they are "living here" nor "exist" in Ark and by that i mean localizing in any area and actively fornicating within our state's boundaries and raising offspring, which is the cycle of life ------

twistitup

Yeah, I agree spit. Cougars live in all surrounding states, but it's just something about AR they don't like. They love to multiply just across the Red River (within 10 min of the state line) but in Arkansas multiplying just is not possible.

Spit your a genius, I knew it all along.

HogBreath

Quote from: twistitup on January 23, 2009, 06:30:58 am
Yeah, I agree spit. Cougars live in all surrounding states, but it's just something about AR they don't like. They love to multiply just across the Red River (within 10 min of the state line) but in Arkansas multiplying just is not possible.

Spit your a genius, I knew it all along.

Cats don't like water, and apparently the Red River serves as a moat of sorts to keep those pesky critters out of our fair state.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hogdiggity

Quote from: HogBreath on January 23, 2009, 08:17:35 am
Cats don't like water, and apparently the Red River serves as a moat of sorts to keep those pesky critters out of our fair state.

Yep, the big deep wide Red keeps lots of stuff out, just look at Fire Ants!! ;)

hogs24

I've seen one in Hot Springs Village. Solid black, and about the size of my German Shepherd. Ran right in front of me on Barcelona Road, on top of the mountain right before you get to Castano.
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogs24 on January 23, 2009, 10:08:36 am
I've seen one in Hot Springs Village. Solid black, and about the size of my German Shepherd. Ran right in front of me on Barcelona Road, on top of the mountain right before you get to Castano.

Rigggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhht!

8) ;) ;D
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogs24

Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

spit

Quote from: hogs24 on January 23, 2009, 10:08:36 am

hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahhahhahhahahah-ahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah-ahahhahaahhahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahah-ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah-ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfw-tfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtf

twistitup

Albert Einswine

HogBreath

Quote from: hogdiggity on January 23, 2009, 08:36:18 am
Yep, the big deep wide Red keeps lots of stuff out, just look at Fire Ants!! ;)
Good point, you got me there, on many occasions, I have been able to just look at fire ants, obviously we do have fire ants, unfortunately I've never been able to look at a mountain lion.

spit

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2009, 07:34:35 am
http://www.topix.com/album/detail/paragould-ar/OGFV445189J1LH35

Finally somebody produces a picture to back up some of these claims. I'm baffled.  it does look like a large black cat.

Does that look like the one you killed on your back porch that time?

Albert Einswine

January 24, 2009, 09:01:11 am #188 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:02:57 am by Albert Einswine
Quote from: spit on January 24, 2009, 08:53:44 am
Finally somebody produces a picture to back up some of these claims. I'm baffled.  it does look like a large black cat.

Does that look like the one you killed on your back porch that time?

Good lord, spit!  Look a the picture again.  Look at the 4" PVC corn feeder on the tree behind the cat.  Look at the relationship of the cat's position in front of the feeder. Look at the weeds and the cat's relationship to them.

It's a black domestic cat.  It may be feral but you could also make an argument that it may be wearing a collar.

twistitup

January 24, 2009, 11:31:59 am #189 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:34:43 am by twistitup
Albert,
take a close look at the girth of the tail...how many house cats have a THICK tail? Look at the thickness of the body in relation to the size if the head - that's no house cat.

But, it is easy to just deny everything you see.

Spit,
The cat killed when I was young was no house cat either and did look similar to the cat in the pic. The cat we killed took a grown man two hands to pick up and was muscular, not fat like a damn house cat.   

spit

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2009, 11:31:59 am
Spit,
cat in the pic above if FAR more than 20# and does look similar to the one we shot. 

hahaha.
i think you've seriously lost all credibility now with most people that read this.
that's a freaking black house cat.
I can't believe you openly admit THAT is what you're calling a black panther.  If that is similar to what you killed on the back porch then likewise you probably killed somebody's cat, or maybe it was a stray.

twistitup

January 24, 2009, 11:42:22 am #191 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:48:24 am by twistitup
lost cred? I could care less - that is not a freaking house cat. If so, please post a pic of the house cat you are talking about! From the distance that pic was taken - it's much larger than a house cat.

If you took a pic of a house cat from 15-20ft away - it would not look the size/length of the cat in the pic.

spit

why did you edit the part out of your post that the cat pictured "is FAR more than 20#?

twistitup

January 24, 2009, 11:52:06 am #193 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:53:52 am by twistitup
Quote from: spit on January 24, 2009, 11:50:20 am
why did you edit the part out of your post that the cat pictured "is FAR more than 20#?

I don't have a scale or the cat on hand at the moment.

Why haven't you posted a pic of your monster house cat taken from approx 15' away?

spit

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2009, 11:52:06 am

Why haven't you posted a pic of your monster house cat taken from approx 15' away?

No need.  FWIW there's one about 5 posts above this, that's just not my cat, same thing though.

twistitup

Quote from: spit on January 24, 2009, 11:56:29 am
No need.  FWIW there's one about 5 posts above this, that's just not my cat, same thing though.

YOUR claiming it's a house cat, I say no way.  So, there must be many more solid black house cats with THICK tails roaming around the neighborhood you live. Post a pic, that's all I ask.

If you did not notice, the cat above is in the woods...you claim there are similar house cats! Please post a pic to prove what YOU are saying (remember to find on with a very thick tail, good luck). Thanks

spit

i've never taken a pic of anything and posted it anywhere and i aint gonna start by taking a pic of dang house cat.  your delusional man.  i'm out of this thread for a little while, pretty day, better things to do than talk about pics of a black house cat with someone possibly hallucinating thinking its a freakin black panther. 

HogBreath

Oh, so that's a panther in the picture.  Yeah, in that case, I have seen panthers, lots of 'em.  We have a solid white one sleeping on the back deck at the moment.  He seems gentile enough however.  Likes to eat cat food too.   ;)

twistitup

HogBreath,
Look at the body dimensions of the cat in the pic. If you have a cat that looks that size from 20 feet away please post the pic of this white cat you speak of.

HogBreath

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2009, 12:30:42 pm
HogBreath,
Look at the body dimensions of the cat in the pic. If you have a cat that looks that size from 20 feet away please post the pic of this white cat you speak of.
Alas, I don't have a picture, but just imagine a white version of the black panther in the photo.