Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where does this team rank

Started by Razorod, December 13, 2007, 09:50:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

Is this the best Hogs team since the 95-96 team (the last team to make it to the Sweet Sixteen round)?

This is a question for those who have been able to see this team play on multiple occasions.

I'm thinking the 2000-01 team with Joe Johnson was pretty good but not sure if the frontcourt was all that great outside of him.

I still think we're too short on guard play to get past the third round of the tournament, but maybe we have enough stuff to at least get to that round this year.

Curious to your thoughts on where you think this team stands in relation to the other post 95-96 teams.

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Beaverfever

December 13, 2007, 10:13:00 am #1 Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:15:33 am by Beaverfever
Probably the most premature post I've ever seen.  I don't even know if this team is as good as it was last year yet.  Our guard play has been unspectacular to say the least.  Ervin is just now starting to play alright but I don't know what he'll do once we start playing real competition.  Beverly has looked a little worse than he did last year.  Sonny is a turnover waiting to happen.  I've pretty much given up on hill doing anything on offense.  Thomas hasn't been able to dominate the paint yet like I had hoped, and Washington and Welsh haven't been near as good as they were at the end of last year.  With all that said I think this team COULD be very good.

wholehog92

I'll have to see how they do when we get into conference play.  I have seen flashes of brilliance from just about everyone that you would expect it from except Hill.  They are all playing very hard and finishing games.  I have also rarely seen them all brilliant at the same time.  Never for a whole game or even 75% of a game.  The thing about very good teams is that they are consistently at a high level night in and night out, you expect that on a mature team.  It is not that I don't think they will get there, but I think from what I have seen in games, they turn it on when they need to.  Therefore, I'll see in the conference games how good they are.  It just seems this team is a very good immature team which is contrary to our experience level vs a very good mature team.  Pel has been able to get them to play hard for a whole game, we'll see now if he can get them to mature by the time tournament time rolls around.

Caveat:  You asked for lofty comparisons, I am not down on Pel or this team.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

razorhead69

Although a little better than last year they still look like the same ole crap we have been seeing. They are better coached though.

zebra

Our record is about what it should be for who we have been playing.  Our turnovers are rediculous.

condohog

These players may or may not ever get it.  PEL is doing a good job but he has bench all of his scorers in order to get effort.
He was not happy the ballhandling/turnovers at all. Next year we will be young but guard heavy.  Those guys should be able to pass better than the crew we have now. You can coach coach coach but eventually the team has to do. Hopefully some of it can happen this year.

jry04

December 13, 2007, 12:22:32 pm #6 Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 12:24:26 pm by rsvl_hogfan4
Quote from: Beaverfever on December 13, 2007, 10:13:00 am
Probably the most premature post I've ever seen.  I don't even know if this team is as good as it was last year yet.  Our guard play has been unspectacular to say the least.  Ervin is just now starting to play alright but I don't know what he'll do once we start playing real competition.  Beverly has looked a little worse than he did last year.  Sonny is a turnover waiting to happen.  I've pretty much given up on hill doing anything on offense.  Thomas hasn't been able to dominate the paint yet like I had hoped, and Washington and Welsh haven't been near as good as they were at the end of last year.  With all that said I think this team COULD be very good.
Yet Ervin is averaging under 2 assists per game, has lead the team in points the last 3 games and has had 6 double digit games. Sonny Weems or Charles Thomas are probably the biggest liability when it comes to turnovers though. This team is a lot better than last year. Beverley and Thomas will pick it up as the season goes on. Beverley is still a great player. Ervin played poorly in non-conference last year and did awesome in SEC. This year he started off the season right, so I expect him to continue his good play.

Cave City Joe

Quote from: razorhead69 on December 13, 2007, 10:33:23 am
Although a little better than last year they still look like the same ole crap we have been seeing. They are better coached though.

I agree.  I'm not sure they will ever get it.  Coach Pel is doing his best but they aren't that good.  Like one of the commentators said in PR "if they were great players they wouldn't be here for their senior year".  Got some great players coming in though.  It will get better.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

mbgrulz

this is the best combo of talent and experience that we have had in a long time. i think that is all you can say right now. we still have a lot of season left to be played.

Rayzback

I agree... it's still way to early to tell. I think I've seen every preseason game this year, been to most of the home games. I'm not an expert by any means... just a Razorback junkie. They seem to show more desire this year. I think our defense is looking pretty solid. I've seen a lot of individual sparks and few team moments on offense. Enough to get me excited anyway. I think we'll need to see a lot more of those team moments before March. :razorback:
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

cardinalhawg

It is hard to tell what this team is going to do for the whole year.  I like the defensive intensity and performance so far, but the offense has been erratic.  We could just as easily have the same record or even better up this point had Heath still been the head coach.  However, I think Pelphrey is doing a good job and will continue to do a good job, but so far it is hard to get a good read on this team.

I know there is still a lot of time for these guys, but I have been disappointed with our freshman class's production.  I am not saying that I expected them to be major contributors, but perhaps contribute more than they have.

I like the intensity and performance of Townes so far this season.  Some of the returning players that I thought would step up, haven't to the level that I was hoping, yet.  Perhaps learning a new system is the reason.  I figured for us to really make a big jump this season that Michael Washington would really have to come on and so far his performance has been just fair.

I like the makeup of this team defensively, but watching some of these guys on offense would make me want to look for turnover tendencies among potential recruits for the U of A. 

blacksuit

This team will be measured at the end of the year, and in conference play. We've passed a few tests so far, but there is much left to be done. The book hasn't been written yet. The Oklahoma and Baylor games will give us a glimpse of things to come. That first conference home game against Bama is very important as well.

The bottom line is that if we drop a bunch ofo conference road games, this team is no better than they were under Heath.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 13, 2007, 10:13:00 am

+10 if I could. This team had no movement on offense in the games I've watched them. The game Wed night should've been a 50 point victory, but too many butterfingers on teh floor and lack of executiuon prevailed. This team will be in trouble come SEC play, not to mention tomorrow vs OK.

Kevin

this team is not skilled. that is why they will play in spurts.  go from great to awful all in the same play

you will see that will be a big improvement in recruiting and during the players time at arkansas.

you will see players come in more skilled and leave alot better than when they came in.  it will be interesting to see what washington, welsh, sanchez look like with a full year of individual work under this staff.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hillhog

Seems like everyone plays hot and cold in the same game. As for guard play, GE has played scoring games mostly this year. Leads in scoring recently, BUT in the last game, 12 points and 0 assists I think it was. This from our point guard. 0 assists. That is hard to believe from your point guard. But when he has the ball he seems to be looking first to set himself up for a shot. To be a good team I think the point guard needs to be looking for assists more than points. Just my thought.