Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barnhill Arena

Started by EL' MAHOG, December 13, 2007, 12:29:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EL' MAHOG

December 13, 2007, 12:29:34 am Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 12:31:56 am by BKillian
Tell me a good Barnhill story, old timers welcome! ;).  Hogs all time record there?  Best home record(season)?
I guess it finally rained, its down to 85, I bet the fish are bitin' down by the riverside

Mallardman69

it was named after John Barnhill a former Tn coach of all things

oldfart

I can tell you about when Barnhill was literally a barn.  permanent seats on one side, on the other side nothing until football season was over and they hauled the old bleachers from the south end zone of the football field and set them up.  South end was a big dirt area for football practice, dust all over the place. Had a little wall about two foot high around the court, dean tolson was chasing a ball and literally ran through the wall. brought in some lady with an organ and stuck the organ up high on the east wall.  no band there, the lady would play the organ during time outs and such.....

nwa_razorback_coffee

Preferably a story that includes something about a Sidney Moncrief dunk...

Section B

The loudest Hog Call ever was during the comeback against Houston circa '79-'80.

Actually felt it and made my ears pop.

Think it's my top Hog moment ever.

Nothing will ever compare to Barnhill and Robken.

Quote from: wocraig on February 23, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
"This is the beginning of a major character flaw with American society.
If this feeling of entitlement is allowed to fester, our republic will not be maintainable.
We need a grassroots movement encouraging personal responsibility and the reiteration that government only provides equality of opportunity... NOT EQUALITY OF OUTCOME." 

Amen brotha.

verticalhog

I can tell you I went to some pretty good concerts there back in the '70s.  I think the best might have been the Doobie Brothers.

PiggyBack

Corliss' break-away dunk against LSU.  "The night the lights went out." 
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: Section8 on December 13, 2007, 12:32:45 am
The loudest Hog Call ever was during the comeback against Houston circa '79-'80.

Was that the game that the weather was so bad and the TV coverage went out when Arkansas was losing so badly and the Hogs came back and no one could believe it?

Section B

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on December 13, 2007, 12:34:47 am
Was that the game that the weather was so bad and the TV coverage went out when Arkansas was losing so badly and the Hogs came back and no one could believe it?

Don't know about the weather and the TV, but I witnessed it first hand and I can still barely believe it to this day.
Quote from: wocraig on February 23, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
"This is the beginning of a major character flaw with American society.
If this feeling of entitlement is allowed to fester, our republic will not be maintainable.
We need a grassroots movement encouraging personal responsibility and the reiteration that government only provides equality of opportunity... NOT EQUALITY OF OUTCOME." 

Amen brotha.

oldfart

barnhill was "interim" coach at Tenn during the war years when Neyland was off in the army as a brigadier general (Neyland was one hell of an engineer, by the way, actually designed what later became Neyland Stadium). Barnhill later became AD at arkansas for many years.

Quote from: Mallardman69 on December 13, 2007, 12:30:24 am
it was named after John Barnhill a former Tn coach of all things

oldfart

well the SI cover Sid dunk was fantastic. playing texas, during those "slowdown" days when i think the score was like 39-38.  Sid intercepted one of the inbound passes, flew down the court and did the SI cover dunk, one of the most vicious dunks you will ever see....

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on December 13, 2007, 12:32:32 am
Preferably a story that includes something about a Sidney Moncrief dunk...

oldtimerhog

We beat Houston and Otis Birdsong on the eve of the 1977 blizzard.  Barely got home after the game that night!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

LazorRazor

One of the best games I ever saw there was when they had a charity type game right after they had closed the Barn and was going to open BWA the next year. They brought the older playes back from the Eddie Sutton days, like Delph, Nash, Robertson, and US Reed and they played against the Mayberry, Day and Big O genenration. It was a very entertaining game, and then when we left walking up the street, we got to visit with some of the new guys on campus like Corliss, Scotty Thurman and Dwight Stewart.
4th and 1, throw the Prolate spheroid deep!

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: oldfart on December 13, 2007, 12:40:54 am
well the SI cover Sid dunk was fantastic. playing texas, during those "slowdown" days when i think the score was like 39-38.  Sid intercepted one of the inbound passes, flew down the court and did the SI cover dunk, one of the most vicious dunks you will ever see....

Did you see this first hand? I would have loved to be there for it.

oldfart

yea one of the greatest games in hog history. i think it was the first time we played houston after they came into the SWC, everyone thought they would dominate the SWC and the hogs demolished them that night.  One of the greatest hog wins ......

Quote from: oldtimerhog on December 13, 2007, 12:44:35 am
We beat Houston and Otis Birdsong on the eve of the 1977 blizzard.  Barely got home after the game that night!

Calling All Hogs

I remember wearing an "Abe sucks Lemons" shirt and waving at the jacka$$. It was after the game and Abe was talking to the media. He looked up and shot me the bird. Class act.  :D

oldfart

yep i was there..  i started buying season tickets when van emman was coach althou at that time you could just walk in and sit anywhere u wanted to....

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on December 13, 2007, 12:45:57 am
Did you see this first hand? I would have loved to be there for it.

Chris Ryan

Anyone remember Hogman? The fat guy that would run out and slide across the court on his gut.

oldfart

not this game. the hogs took control right off and were on fire. houston was stunned.... 

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on December 13, 2007, 12:34:47 am

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: CallMeHog on December 13, 2007, 12:46:53 am
I remember wearing an "Abe sucks Lemons" shirt and waving at the jacka$$. It was after the game and Abe was talking to the media. He looked up and shot me the bird. Class act.  :D

Was he the dude with the polka dot towel?

EL' MAHOG

What was capacity, 9500?
I guess it finally rained, its down to 85, I bet the fish are bitin' down by the riverside

booogaga

when i was a kid my family had seats directly behind the student section and steve atwater sat in front of us. he was tall. also watched big 0 beat and take town shaq
GO HOGS!

HootieHaterfromALA

I got one for ya.....Ark-UNLV...we were 1-2 in the country I believe....I camped outside for the entire week leading up to the game and the day of the game was my 21st bday. Obviously did not make it to much class, but it was something I will never forget. Stayed hammered the entire week. Unfortunately, they thumped us in the second half. But saw some stars that day....Big O, May-day, Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, Greg Anthony, Tarkanian.....

josh_sec33

Quote from: HogFanInVolLand on December 13, 2007, 12:49:25 am
Anyone remember Hogman? The fat guy that would run out and slide across the court on his gut.

OH LORD YES

Also, best game I was ever at in barnhill....the time that Kentucky first came to barnhill. We were on Martinez the entire game. The entire student section every time he touched the ball would scream repeatedly 'OLE' 'OLE' and after about 5 minutes of that he glared at us and promptly missed a layup and then stood there like he wanted to come into the stands and he was a non factor the rest of the game.

Good times.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

jhippy

I was about 8 or 9 and one of my dads friends took me to a game. They were announcing the players names and when they called Andrew Langs name the crowd went nutts yelling DRRREEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! Me being so young I thought they were Boooooooing him. I knew enough to know he was a good player, but it wasn't till the next time I watched a game with my dad that I asked why they bo him. He still laughs at me for that.

HootieHaterfromALA

Fat guy was classic....would also see him out at Doc's, River City, and Hollywoods.....Fat Guy got that way by lots of beer is my guess....Big Boy could put it down!!

kimjongsqUeAl

i kissed my cousin/sister in the barn back in . . . oh wait . . . NM!
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: Section8 on December 13, 2007, 12:32:45 am

Was that the game when Hakeem was a freshman, Rob Williams was the point guard, and we got down by 16 or so before we rallied and beat them at the buzzer on a Scott Hastings jumper? 

I was there and about 15 at the time. I think that was the loudest I ever heard it. 

Although it was pretty loud the night Larry Brown brought Kansas and Danny Manning.  I'll never forget how Robken worked the crowd that night.  The William Tell Overture was a weapon in those days.  The crowd had been begging Robken for it most of the game, whipping their arms in that circular motion, but he taunted us and wouldn't play it until midway through the second half when we had started to make a run and Kansas took a timeout.  Kansas had to move their chairs out onto the floor, and by the end of the t.o. the place was crazier than at the beginning, w/ Robken running around stirring the crowd into a frenzy and returning to finish the last note as Kansas broke from their huddle.  William Mills blew the game open from that point and we never looked back.  I think we won by 18 or so. 

That was in Nolan's second or third year, and it was then I knew we'd be alright w/ him.

HogJoeHelm

I saw Fuel there a few years ago, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.  My junior year at the U of A.  We got rid of all the seats on the floor.  I broke my tailbone crowd surfing, but what a great show.  They stopped concerts there after that (at least rock shows) until this year.  Foo Fighters, baby!

Not what you are looking for, just thought I'd share.

zorbacks06

Much marijuana was smoked inside the Barn during the many concerts held there. I remember a bottle of Jack Daniels and joints being passed to Willie Nelson on stage.

softserve

My dad (class of '79) always talks about how close the student section was to the court.  He said you could really get in the opposing players ears.  He also taught me how to sneak a pint in inside your hog hat, something he learned at Barnhill.
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

nohuddle

I so remember the "we going to beat the he** out of you" just prior to tipoff vs. UNLV.  Unbelieivable atmosphere.  Unfortunately UNLV kicked us.  But the Todd Day backpeddling roundhouse that missed Larry Johnson by ten feet was a classic.

Bama Hog™

December 13, 2007, 11:16:33 am #32 Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 12:35:36 pm by Bama Hog™
1. The announcers voice saying "Uuuuuuuuuu Sssssssssss Reeeeeeeeeeed"!
2. My first NBA game when the Brewer and Moncrief's teams had an exihbition game in Barnhill (Trailblazers vs Bucks I believe)
3. Joan Jett concert
4. Todd Day's phantom punch at Larry Johnson
5. Kliene vs Hakeem
6. Harlem Globetrotters shows
7. Both Hank Jr. Concerts
8. ZZ Top concert
9. chants of "Eugene, Eugene"
10. Alabama Concert
11. The day I fiannly got that piece of paper!

edit: I forgot one of my fondest:

Tommy Joe Eagles was coaching Auburn and his team had already come out for warm ups. He was casually strolling out to the court.  We were sitting in the student section along the entrance way. Suddenly, my buddy shouts down at coach Eagles and says, "Good luck coach". To our surpise, Eagles looks up at us and says, "Thanks guys, we are gonna need it", grins, and walks off.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

Geohul

The game where Big-O stuffed Shaq to win the game against LSU.  I remember Dale Brown after the game saying he had never been in an arena that loud before.  That game was a classic.  Oliver OWNED Shaq that game. 

Simple Swineman

-Walking into the concourse on the north side. Every game my dad would take me to get one of those popcorn tubs. I don't know why, but those popcorn tubs define Barnhill to me.

-The noise meter up by the Hog Wild Band. I would get so excited when it hit the top. It was a "real" noise meter with light bulbs that lit up the higher the decibel level. Sometimes that thing would stay maxed out through an entire timeout. No way the teams could hear anything in their huddle.

-The little hog helmet that James Henson drove around on the court.

-Robken running around the arena waving a towel over his head.

I long for those days.

hogs25

It was louder than BWA.  Sorry but it's the truth.

Cale

nothing to do with barnhill. but I always remember a guy coming to basketball games nowadays, he always dances and takes his shirt off. he's a rather large fellow. any info on him?
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

Kenny Dowell Loggains

I am only 28, but I remember when we played UNLV against Larry Johnson and Stacy Augmon.  Seeing Larry, Stacy, Todd Day, Big O, and Mayberry live was one of the best times i have ever had at a razorback game.  Talk about some serious talent on the hardwood!!!  They looked like NBA teams to me!

hogs25

Quote from: gguillo on December 13, 2007, 11:25:32 am
I am only 28, but I remember when we played UNLV against Larry Johnson and Stacy Augmon.  Seeing Larry, Stacy, Todd Day, Big O, and Mayberry live was one of the best times i have ever had at a razorback game.  Talk about some serious talent on the hardwood!!!  They looked like NBA teams to me!

That was the hardest ticket to get in Razorback history.  A close second would be KY in '93 and/or '95.  If I remember right we lost by 7.  We hit a 3 right there at the buzzer.

Geohul

Quote from: Cale on December 13, 2007, 11:23:05 am
nothing to do with barnhill. but I always remember a guy coming to basketball games nowadays, he always dances and takes his shirt off. he's a rather large fellow. any info on him?
Bubba Hog!  He's a member of Hogville.  Check this out.

[youtube=425,350]c2uNgGhDr9E[/youtube]

Tejano Jawg

Yeah, you gotta be an old timer to show up in this thread.

First time in Barnhill was to see the Harlem Globetrotters (before the renovation...it looked like a big metal and concrete box, more like a warehouse than a gym). Then when I was in junior high (after the renovation) I started going to games with a friend who had season tickets. This was during the days of The Triplets. I was at Sidney Moncrief's final game as a Hog.

My first concert there was Molly Hatchet (during my high school days). My second one was Kansas.

My favorite Hog game as a UA student was when we beat Houston (with Phi Slamma Jamma). There were several thousand more people than there were seats...so many snuck in to that game. When Akeem fouled out with 5 minutes to go, it was the loudest I ever heard the place.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Ark_Jedi

Quote from: Geohul on December 13, 2007, 11:18:35 am
The game where Big-O stuffed Shaq to win the game against LSU.  I remember Dale Brown after the game saying he had never been in an arena that loud before.  That game was a classic.  Oliver OWNED Shaq that game. 

Oh man, I was there that night. LSU jumped out to a double digit lead in the first half, looked like they would blow us off the court. We couldn't seem to do anything right. Then Mayberry started hitting 3s. And we got closer. And closer. And tied it. And Big-O stuffed Shaq at the end of regulation. The we whipped em in OT. Loudest game I ever attended. I was hoarse for the next few days.

:razorback:

Flatline

You were on top of each other.  You never sat down.  The noise would have your ears ringing when the left the gym.  It was amazing.

Anon2

Enjoyed all the games where Fred Grim was hitting those 2 point 2-hand set shots.  Would be threes now from where he shot.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 13, 2007, 11:38:19 am
Yeah, you gotta be an old timer to show up in this thread.

First time in Barnhill was to see the Harlem Globetrotters (before the renovation...it looked like a big metal and concrete box, more like a warehouse than a gym). Then when I was in junior high (after the renovation) I started going to games with a friend who had season tickets. This was during the days of The Triplets. I was at Sidney Moncrief's final game as a Hog.

My first concert there was Molly Hatchet (during my high school days). My second one was Kansas.

My favorite Hog game as a UA student was when we beat Houston (with Phi Slamma Jamma). There were several thousand more people than there were seats...so many snuck in to that game. When Akeem fouled out with 5 minutes to go, it was the loudest I ever heard the place.

Good stuff. Unfortunatly, I just missed the Triplets' era. But the US REED days sure were fun!

phadedhawg

Rick Pitino's first and only trip into Barnhill Area.  Corliss Williamson's thunderous dunk over Jamal Mashburn and the stare down...

Darrell Hawkins jumping up and down on the score's table after the win!!!

Barnhill was erupting!!!

Gosh I miss that place

howboutthemhawgs

A little 10 year old boy in the seats that cold February day.  What could be better than watching my favorite player on my favorite team monster dunk against my most hated entity in the world...the Texass Shorthorns.   I can tell you what, seeing it the next week on the cover of SI for the whole world view!!
It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the HOG!

Pigonometry

Quote from: HogFanInVolLand on December 13, 2007, 12:49:25 am

I was in school then.  I think he lost about 30 pounds by the end of the year from running arouind the court.

I remember the students chanting, "Fat guy! Fat Guy!"
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Pigonometry

Quote from: hogs25 on December 13, 2007, 11:21:40 am
It was louder than BWA.  Sorry but it's the truth.

No doubt about.  The day after we beat Kansas and Danny Manning in 1986, I woke up and couldn't hear out of one ear for two days.
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

josh_sec33

No one's talked about the tent cities.

Unbelieveable.

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?