Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gary Ervin

Started by bbulhogfan, December 12, 2007, 10:42:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bbulhogfan

The player I am most impressed with this year is Gary Ervin. After a rough first year at Arkansas last year and a rough start to this year, he has completely turned his game around. Except for the 4 or 5 turnovers tonight, he had only had 4 in his last 5 games. plus he is averaging over 12 points a game in that stretch...thoughts anyone??

parrishw

The reason he has so few turnovers is because Pelphrey will not put up with the crap that Heath did.

Ervin is finally being made to play with the team instead of in spite of them. He has been a big part of the reason we lost many close games over the last few years with his grandstanding crap in the last 30 seconds of close games.

Pelphrey figured him out very quickly and he will not give him the latitude to screw things up anymore.

bigpigfan

I believe it's the difference coaching makes.  For whatever reason he is playing much better and I have to give credit to coach Pel...

Tomhog™

Quote from: parrishw on December 13, 2007, 09:18:18 am
Ervin is finally being made to play with the team instead of in spite of them. He has been a big part of the reason we lost many close games over the last few years with his grandstanding crap in the last 30 seconds of close games.

Pelphrey figured him out very quickly and he will not give him the latitude to screw things up anymore.

I thought last year was Ervin's first year to play as a Hog since he had to redshirt the year before?

jry04

Quote from: parrishw on December 13, 2007, 09:18:18 am
The reason he has so few turnovers is because Pelphrey will not put up with the crap that Heath did.

Two of the games he got fouled on a last minute shot. You can't blame a player for getting body slammed and not getting called. Just so you know, he hasn't been here the last few years. He was a junior transfer from MSU. Last year was his first year. Weems turns the ball over more than Ervin this year, and he had just as many last year, with waaay less assists. Thomas has turned it over a ridiculous amount this year.

parrishw

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 13, 2007, 12:33:25 pm
I thought last year was Ervin's first year to play as a Hog since he had to redshirt the year before?

You are right I had been thinking of him and Eric Ferguson as clones. I had been cussin Eric Ferguson for all the time he was here and thought Ervin would be an improvement and had been disgusted when I found we had lost one and gotten another just like Ferguson.
Hard to tell them apart they seemed to be cut from the same cloth and made the same stupid mistakes.

My bad.

bbulhogfan

i LOVED ferguson and how he used to play with so much heart!

jry04

Quote from: parrishw on December 13, 2007, 12:48:10 pm

You are right I had been thinking of him and Eric Ferguson as clones. I had been cussin Eric Ferguson for all the time he was here and thought Ervin would be an improvement and had been disgusted when I found we had lost one and gotten another just like Ferguson.
Hard to tell them apart they seemed to be cut from the same cloth and made the same stupid mistakes.

My bad.
When Ervin first came, I thought the same thing. Ferguson and Jefferson were not good PGs. Ervin has improved greatly. Ferguson helps me realize it could be worse.

spudhog

ervin has gotten a lot better. if he can stay within himself, he could definitely be a plus.

parrishw

Quote from: spudhog on December 13, 2007, 01:34:33 pm
ervin has gotten a lot better. if he can stay within himself, he could definitely be a plus.

I will give him that and I blame Pelphrey for the improvement. with Heath I saw no improvement from Freshman to Senior years.

I remember watching Ferguson in his last game take a very bad shot opportunity and then go down the floor on defense and fouls the other teams guard on a three point shot.

I told my wife that day that the only thing good about that game was I would never have to watch Fergusun play ever again. The Ervin came and started acting the same way.
The years Heath coached here were very long and painful for me.
I am really looking forward to this season and especially this game coming up against the Sooners.

Saturday will really test our boys and our coach. A good game to prep for the conference schedule.