Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watching Oregon State tonight vs. Stanford

Started by bigpigpimpin, October 26, 2017, 10:31:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

Oregon State has been awful, just awful all year. Just like us. They are 1-6. With a coaching change, they are playing inspired and leading #20 Stanford in the 4th quarter. They had been blown out several games this season. What a difference change makes. We need a change folks.

HossHog

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 26, 2017, 10:31:10 pm
Oregon State has been awful, just awful all year. Just like us. They are 1-6. With a coaching change, they are playing inspired and leading #20 Stanford in the 4th quarter. They had been blown out several games this season. What a difference change makes. We need a change folks.
Not trying to be that guy, but maybe it's because Stanford's heisman contender running back isn't playing. But it could be change.

HogPharmer

Did you see their coach pregame? Did you see their coach on their first TD? Dude was fired up. He knows he's outmanned against Stanford, but he doesn't give up on his team despite their record. Haven't seen that on our sidelines.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

TX HOG

Quote from: HogPharmer on October 26, 2017, 10:32:51 pm
Did you see their coach pregame? Did you see their coach on their first TD? Dude was fired up. He knows he's outmanned against Stanford, but he doesn't give up on his team despite their record. Haven't seen that on our sidelines.

He looks fun. He played in the NFL, pretty intense dude...

jkstock04

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 26, 2017, 10:31:10 pm
I'm quite surprised how good they look. I didn't think they would get blown out but I never imagined they may actually beat Stanford even without the starting qb. I thought they were bad like Arkansas Razorbacks bad l lol
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogPharmer

Quote from: TX HOG on October 26, 2017, 10:43:28 pm
He looks fun. He played in the NFL, pretty intense dude...

Regardless how bad Oregon State finishes this season. If they win this game, that's something for the seniors to hang their hat on. Something our seniors won't have. This coach is giving these kids some life in their program. I'm loving it.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

jkstock04

Quote from: HogPharmer on October 26, 2017, 10:45:36 pm
Regardless how bad Oregon State finishes this season. If they win this game, that's something for the seniors to hang their hat on. Something our seniors won't have. This coach is giving these kids some life in their program. I'm loving it.
Agreed...I bet his attitude is contagious in practice and a breath of fresh air for the players. I doubt this guy is head coaching material but as far as short term interim probably about as good as it gets.

He coached their last game against Colorado and they lost by 3 points...should've won the game but came up short. I'm kind of rooting for them tonight, seems like they deserve it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogPharmer

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 26, 2017, 10:49:37 pm
Agreed...I bet his attitude is contagious in practice and a breath of fresh air for the players. I doubt this guy is head coaching material but as far as short term interim probably about as good as it gets.

He coached their last game against Colorado and they lost by 3 points...should've won the game but came up short. I'm kind of rooting for them tonight, seems like they deserve it.

I'd take that attitude on the sidelines right now.

He's all in for the players and, at the end of the day, that's what it's all about. Especially when your team has no chance and you're an interim coach.

EastexHawg

Bad football teams find a way to lose.  That's what Oregon State did tonight.

HogPharmer

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 26, 2017, 11:20:36 pm
Yes, they did. But at least they competed. That's the point. Tired of seeing us quit.

jrulz83

I guess every team that performs better than expected (better than Hogville expects that is) in a game is going to get a thread now. Oh and somebody is going to, in a roundabout way (can't out and out say it), talk about their coach coming to Arkansas.

Is that how this thing is going to work for the rest of the time Bielema is here? Because I'll type up a generic post for the weeknight games and we can pass it around and fill in the blanks for the next year or so if you guys want.

I'll include something in the generic post about energy and lack thereof, belief and discipline, hard luck and no luck, coming up short and finding ways to lose, et cetera. You know, all the cliche stuff. It'll be great, believe me.

Oh and I guarantee that something will involve fire in the generic post. I don't know what, but something or someone needs to have fire, show fire, or be on fire. One way or another something or someone is going to be in flames.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

HogPharmer

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 27, 2017, 12:02:30 am
I guess every team that performs better than expected (better than Hogville expects that is) in a game is going to get a thread now. Oh and somebody is going to, in a roundabout way (can't out and out say it), talk about their coach coming to Arkansas.

Is that how this thing is going to work for the rest of the time Bielema is here? Because I'll type up a generic post for the weeknight games and we can pass it around and fill in the blanks for the next year or so if you guys want.

I'll include something in the generic post about energy and lack thereof, belief and discipline, hard luck and no luck, coming up short and finding ways to lose, et cetera. You know, all the cliche stuff. It'll be great, believe me.

Oh and I guarantee that something will involve fire in the generic post. I don't know what, but something or someone needs to have fire, show fire, or be on fire. One way or another something or someone is going to be in flames.

Cory Hall for HC!!!

Dang Commie!

SooieGeneris

Gary Andersen repeatedly bagged on his staff to a reporter who covers the team before he quit in the middle of the season.

Before that, Andersen ran off most of the players who were recruited by Mike Riley and bagged on them as well.

Riley had success there, a tough place to win, so I am inclined to believe that Riley is the better coach and man regardless of what is going on at Nebraska.

A side note:I rooted for AS-Who against the Huskers, something I will not do again as long as Blake the Snowflake Anderson is there. If Roberto Aguayo kicked like that jerk kicked us while we're down, he would still be in the NFL.

Let the Red Wools play our schedule and see what their record would be and the only rings Snowflake Blake would have would be around his bathtub...
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

bennyl08

Quote from: SooieGeneris on October 27, 2017, 12:37:42 am
Gary Andersen repeatedly bagged on his staff to a reporter who covers the team before he quit in the middle of the season.

Before that, Andersen ran off most of the players who were recruited by Mike Riley and bagged on them as well.

Riley had success there, a tough place to win, so I am inclined to believe that Riley is the better coach and man regardless of what is going on at Nebraska.

A side note:I rooted for AS-Who against the Huskers, something I will not do again as long as Blake the Snowflake Anderson is there. If Roberto Aguayo kicked like that jerk kicked us while we're down, he would still be in the NFL.

Let the Red Wools play our schedule and see what their record would be and the only rings Snowflake Blake would have would be around his bathtub...

Riley leaving was an interesting time period in Corvallis. He was from here I think and this was basically a lifetime job for him.

However, about the same time the hogs were good, Beavers were actually quite good as well. Odds are, you've started some beavers on an NFL fantasy team in the past few years if you've played.

The downside of that was that with the Beavs going as high as #3 (same as how we had Bama, LSU, and hogs all in the national top three at one point, Stanford, Oregon, and OSU were all in the top three a year or two later). Expectations grew. The fan base got a taste of winning and Riley was never good enough to get us over any humps. Add into the mix that there were a lot of rape allegations towards the end of his tenure and a change was due.

Never liked Anderson from the start based on the style of play. He basically tried to make us into Oregon-lite instead of the pro-style we'd run before and that crashed and burned. Hard. Beavs have a couple of pretty good power runners and are usually good for about 1-3 NFL draft picks each season.

However, comparing the teams that come into here vs the SEC, it isn't really close. Oregon would be an 8-4 to 9-3 team most years when they were winning 10-11 games in the PAC. They've fallen on hard times now. Stanford and USC would probably translate pretty well. But, the only reason the hogs wouldn't beat the beav's by 30+ this year would be that our team would has given up and Bielema has lost the locker room while the Beavers are out there fighting hard.

Weather today though in Corvallis was phenomenal for a football game.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: SooieGeneris on October 27, 2017, 12:37:42 am

Riley was a terrible hire for Nebraska. He went 29-33 his last 5 years at Oregon St. They essentially hired him b/c he's a nice guy, on the heels of the not-so nice guy Pelini. We're seeing what happens when personality is valued above coaching ability.

It'll be interesting to see if Riley lands back at Oregon St.

Not saying it would be easy but if you unfricked the mental attitudes of the entire Razorback team, you would see an 8 win team standing before you.  This team of OURS is not one of great talent but he SEC is, on average, down right now and our Guys are not terrible.  The coaching is terrible, the mindset of the team is terrible, but the talent is there if handled correctly.  Intensity, overall energy and a great mental attitude is not limited to the talented only.  The right coach could make a group of no stars pretty good with the right energy and mental attitude.

TCU comes to mind as a team of regular Joes becoming a great team with the right mental adjustments.  Play your butt off, never quit, refuse to be denied.

nwahogfan1

I watched the game and was also surprised with how good OSU played. They were a head the whole game.  If not for a fumble in the last couple minutes when they were trying to run out the clock they would have beaten Stanford. 

Good for them and a model for us.  We need a change folks.  We need a new direction and new enthusiasm in our football program.

EastexHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 27, 2017, 10:53:40 am
I watched the game and was also surprised with how good OSU played. They were a head the whole game.  If not for a fumble in the last couple minutes when they were trying to run out the clock they would have beaten Stanford. 

Good for them and a model for us.  We need a change folks.  We need a new direction and new enthusiasm in our football program.

What we don't need is a terrible offense that wastes a great defensive effort by letting the favorite hang around all night.  Watching that game I always had the feeling Stanford would pull it out at the end.  It's what happens the overwhelming majority of the time when the underdog can't make the kill shot.  It's why there are teams that win and teams that lose.

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Vantage 8 dude

Not having Love in there last night definitely had an impact. To me Stanford just acted totally disjointed and out of sync most of the evening.

However, let's also give OSU credit. While they obviously don't have the overall talent level as the Cardinal, they played hard and they played with some obvious spirit. For whatever reason this team, which has shown poorly against virtually everyone else this year acted as if they had a whole new attitude and fire. Hummm...wonder if a new coach, even if he's only temporary, has something to do with their different approach. You know-a coach that acted as if he really wanted to be there. I believe it clearly showed in their elevated play. I'll guarantee we've seen little, if any, of that type of enthusiasm from either our team or most of our staff anytime this season.

hogsanity

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 27, 2017, 01:53:12 pm
Not having Love in there last night definitely had an impact. To me Stanford just acted totally disjointed and out of sync most of the evening.

However, let's also give OSU credit. While they obviously don't have the overall talent level as the Cardinal, they played hard and they played with some obvious spirit. For whatever reason this team, which has shown poorly against virtually everyone else this year acted as if they had a whole new attitude and fire. Hummm...wonder if a new coach, even if he's only temporary, has something to do with their different approach. You know-a coach that acted as if he really wanted to be there. I believe it clearly showed in their elevated play. I'll guarantee we've seen little, if any, of that type of enthusiasm from either our team or most of our staff anytime this season.

Stanford played like the road team often plays in those pac12 Thursday games. Throw in not having their best player on the field, and for whatever reason sticking with Chryst all night at QB and they looked horrible.

And I am tired of all the " we need a coach that screams and yells and is energetic " blah blah blah. There are many ways to motivate and teach without foaming at the mouth and jumping around like your shoes are on fire.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE