Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High School Hires at UA

Started by Yoko Oinko, August 11, 2005, 08:32:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoko Oinko

I was helping my mother-in-law move out of her house this weekend.  When I went down in her basement I found a box with a treasure of old Razorback media guides, preseason publications, game programs, and "Broyles Updates" dating back as far as  1959. It really reminds me that Arkansas was a "Big Time" program from the Lance Alworth days of 1960 to the Holtz days of the early 1980s.

Since so many have a fascination of the Springdale coach, and the potential of getting him on the Razorback staff, I decided to do some reseach through these moldy media guides. 

Arkansas, under Broyles, had a tradition of hiring high school coaches.

In my formally nicotine stained fingers I have the 1971 Arkansas press guide.  This team had some of my all-time Hog heros such as Joe Ferguson, Mike Reppond, and Dickey Morton.  Here is the roster of coaches:

Wilson Matthews...Hired from LR Central
Lon Ferrell...Hired from  Southeast HS, Cherokee, KS
Harold Horton..Hired from Forrest City HS,   FC AR
Jack Davis...Hired from Natchez HS, Natchez, MS

Also on this staff:

Joe Gibbs...  USC and later the NFL Hall of Fame
Raymond Berry..  Dallas Cowboys and later the NFL Hall of Fame
Buddy Bennett..Tennessee
Don Breaux..FSU
Mervin Johnson...U of Mo

Broyles has an award named after him.  The statue has a direct-hire HS coach on it along with JFB.  Frank recognized talent.

Why not hire Gus?
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

idochog

Quote from: John Basedow on August 11, 2005, 08:32:28 pm
I was helping my mother-in-law move out of her house this weekend. When I went down in her basement I found a box with a treasure of old Razorback media guides, preseason publications, game programs, and "Broyles Updates" dating back as far as 1959. It really reminds me that Arkansas was a "Big Time" program from the Lance Alworth days of 1960 to the Holtz days of the early 1980s.

Since so many have a fascination of the Springdale coach, and the potential of getting him on the Razorback staff, I decided to do some reseach through these moldy media guides.

Arkansas, under Broyles, had a tradition of hiring high school coaches.

In my formally nicotine stained fingers I have the 1971 Arkansas press guide. This team had some of my all-time Hog heros such as Joe Ferguson, Mike Reppond, and Dickey Morton. Here is the roster of coaches:

Wilson Matthews...Hired from LR Central
Lon Ferrell...Hired from Southeast HS, Cherokee, KS
Harold Horton..Hired from Forrest City HS, FC AR
Jack Davis...Hired from Natchez HS, Natchez, MS

Also on this staff:

Joe Gibbs... USC and later the NFL Hall of Fame
Raymond Berry.. Dallas Cowboys and later the NFL Hall of Fame
Buddy Bennett..Tennessee
Don Breaux..FSU
Mervin Johnson...U of Mo

Broyles has an award named after him. The statue has a direct-hire HS coach on it along with JFB. Frank recognized talent.

Why not hire Gus?

Heck Houston has got Ealy, what more do you need.  *sarcasm*
I love Jesus!

Porquemada

Can't argue with facts. But my guess on the reasoning (excuses) against hiring high school coaches these days vs. good old days would be -------"Times are different now." or "It's a different game these days." or "In today's game, we need coaches with D1 experience." :D

Yoko Oinko

Quote from: HoopHog on August 11, 2005, 08:44:23 pm
John: 

We need you to put your nose into those old media guides and help rebuild our Razorback history section.  Those are a GOLD MINE!!!  Would you consider sharing those with Hogville?

I would consider it my duty.

I don't have a scanner, and I'm not qualified to be a "Geek Squad", but I'd be happy to put them in the hands of a more qualified computer savy-type.  As long as I got them back

These old publications brought back some great memories.  Here's something that I found interesting.  The media guides publish the coaches religious denomination, as well as the players selective service numbers.  For you people who are too young to know what that is, its their military draft number.  There was a draft before 1973.
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

Bomis Hawg

I've went media guide hunting before, came back with a few before.  Awesome find.  I would offer to do it, but that would be just wrong of me.  Those are priceless items you have, sure you have someone who is young in the family that needs to learn this history of the program while teaching you the ins-and-outs that us geeks love!

Looking forward to looking at the revamped history page!

Yoko Oinko

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 11, 2005, 09:14:58 pm
I've went media guide hunting before, came back with a few before. Awesome find. I would offer to do it, but that would be just wrong of me. Those are priceless items you have, sure you have someone who is young in the family that needs to learn this history of the program while teaching you the ins-and-outs that us geeks love!

Looking forward to looking at the revamped history page!

My 7 year-old thinks its all about Matt.  When I was 7 it was all about Joe.  Somebody have a moderator PM me and I'll make time to share this treasure.

My PM is skybuster@sbcglobal.net

HogDodging

Quote from: HoopHog on August 11, 2005, 08:44:23 pm
John: 

We need you to put your nose into those old media guides and help rebuild our Razorback history section.  Those are a GOLD MINE!!!  Would you consider sharing those with Hogville?

HH, how much of each media guide are you wanting to see?  It will take two lifetimes to scan every page of every guide.
Or, would you be interested in specific sections instead?