Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our O-line must be jinxed...

Started by Thehammer, August 11, 2005, 06:18:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehammer

Matt Gilbow, Ivora Hall, who knows about Cody Green, Skye Peterson and Zac Tubbs is still hobbled.  Once again depth is going to be a problem.   If anyone of the starting five go down it will be another patch job. 

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: Thehammer on August 11, 2005, 06:18:28 pm
Matt Gilbow, Ivora Hall, who knows about Cody Green, Skye Peterson and Zac Tubbs is still hobbled. Once again depth is going to be a problem. If anyone of the starting five go down it will be another patch job.

as of right now we've got 15 on the roster... that's a solid 3 deep but it also includes all of our true freshmen.  another person on our "casualties list" is Nathan Parsons.  where'd he go?
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

idochog

Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on August 11, 2005, 06:46:08 pm
We haven't recruited properly in the line positions for 7 years.

No offense but we sign WAY WAY WAY too many short, 180lb ATH-A-LETES instead of the beef.

Simply amazing HDN tries to fill in the shortages of OL w/ walkons and 2nd tier players.
I love Jesus!

CarolinaHog1176

plus we signed Ryan Young last year and sent him to JUCO or a prep school.... and we've already signed 2 excellent OL's in the 2005 class.  and after MM commits, I think that we might possibly sign one more.  I think we're going to be alright... we might not get to redshirt everybody like some other programs do though (at least not right now)
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Bomis Hawg

If Arkansas lands, cross your fingers, Andre Smith -- most talk will end for now.  Mount McKinney impresses the heck out of me.  I hope all of the talk from back in June that Jim Hart is as qualified as Bartley Webb is.  Zharial (sp?) Thomas from New Iberia would be a nice land.

I see the coaches trying to re-stock the OL spot.  Yes, things went by the way-side lately, but I will refrain from throwing in the towel.  I see help coming, and big boys with skills.

Slacker

Quote from: idochog on August 11, 2005, 07:02:58 pm
Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on August 11, 2005, 06:46:08 pm
We haven't recruited properly in the line positions for 7 years.

No offense but we sign WAY WAY WAY too many short, 180lb ATH-A-LETES instead of the beef.

Simply amazing HDN tries to fill in the shortages of OL w/ walkons and 2nd tier players.

Same could be said about our kicking team. How many games in the last few years could have been won, and/or cut shorter because we've got no kicker?

The Coletrain

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on August 11, 2005, 06:57:51 pm
Matt Gilbow, Ivora Hall, who knows about Cody Green, Skye Peterson and Zac Tubbs is still hobbled. Once again depth is going to be a problem. If anyone of the starting five go down it will be another patch job.

as of right now we've got 15 on the roster... that's a solid 3 deep but it also includes all of our true freshmen. another person on our "casualties list" is Nathan Parsons. where'd he go?

The Parsons question is a good one.  Does anyone know what happened to that guy?  He was a monster at 6-8, 330 lbs.  Is he still planning on playing or has he decided to go elsewhere?  I thought he was pretty excited when he announced he was forgoing any potential scholarship offers to walk-on at UA. 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

Biggus Piggus

Matt Gilbow, Ivora Hall, who knows about Cody Green, Skye Peterson and Zac Tubbs is still hobbled.  Once again depth is going to be a problem.   If anyone of the starting five go down it will be another patch job. 

Not exactly jinxed.  Didn't recruit enough good bodies is more like it.  Hall and Peterson were not up to standards.  Gilbow might have had a better work ethic had he more people seriously competing against him.  They brought in four of the right kind this year.  But it will be many years before they can have enough Olinemen.  Brought in too few for too many years in a row.
[CENSORED]!

idochog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 11, 2005, 10:28:17 pm

Not exactly jinxed. Didn't recruit enough good bodies is more like it. Hall and Peterson were not up to standards. Gilbow might have had a better work ethic had he more people seriously competing against him. They brought in four of the right kind this year. But it will be many years before they can have enough Olinemen. Brought in too few for too many years in a row.

Just way too much attrition in the OL to not bring quality numbers in every year.
I love Jesus!

Biggus Piggus

Yeah, that was why I got so mad at Nutt several years ago.  He completely whiffed on Olinemen in 2000, so I thought, we really need to sign some linemen next year.  We got Shawn Andrews and two very very late Plan D players, one of whom turned out to be an Olineman, in 2001.  (Good players but not enough to get two Olinemen in two seasons.)  So I thought, now we're really really desperate.  And what did we get in 2002, three?  So now I'm thinking, Houston, you're on your last thread.  And in 2003 we signed that piece of crap class that included mostly ineligibles.  That broke it for me.  We went on in 2004 to get what, two?  I don't have my stuff in front of me.  It was an astonishing run.  Thank goodness for walk-ons.
[CENSORED]!

CarolinaHog1176

http://classifieds.nwanews.com/story.php?paper=nwat&section=Sports&storyid=30934

Nathan Parsons, an invited freshman offensive lineman from Bryant, recently pulled a hamstring and will report later as the Razorbacks can only have 105 practicing until UA classes begin Aug. 22.

so big papa will be here as soon as he's allowed to be... WOOOO PIG
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

HogFansReunited

I agree with Slacker here.  I think the bigger problem is with our kicking team.  When are we finaly going to get someone that can kick a fildgoal from 30 yards out?  When are we going to get someone that can punt the ball more than 35 yards?
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Bomis Hawg

Dowell Loggains is our Dan Marino?  Nice..

The last few years the starter, preseason, hasn't lasted at kicker.  So, does that mean Rusty McEntire will be the kicker come South Carolina?

The Coletrain

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on August 11, 2005, 11:39:46 pm
http://classifieds.nwanews.com/story.php?paper=nwat§ion=Sports&storyid=30934

Nathan Parsons, an invited freshman offensive lineman from Bryant, recently pulled a hamstring and will report later as the Razorbacks can only have 105 practicing until UA classes begin Aug. 22.

so big papa will be here as soon as he's allowed to be... WOOOO PIG

Good find, Carolina.  As long as he has any mobility at all, with a definite redshirt and a couple years in the weightroom and off-season program, I think he could be a contributor.  Has NFL left tackle size, but may have to be moved to right tackle.  Either way I'm happy to see he's still part of the future. 

Off the OL topic but staying with walk-ons, does anyone know if the big WR from Searcy ended up coming?  Eric Higgebottom I believe was his name.  I didn't see his name on the roster, but I was pretty sure he was coming.  Maybe a practice restriction casulty, but I don't know for sure.  Anyone have any info on that?
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: The Coletrain on August 12, 2005, 07:49:33 am
does anyone know if the big WR from Searcy ended up coming? Eric Higgebottom I believe was his name. I didn't see his name on the roster, but I was pretty sure he was coming. Maybe a practice restriction casulty, but I don't know for sure. Anyone have any info on that?

it might be a walk-on thing.  the only guys who were supposed to be on campus this summer were the scholarship guys because they were required to take summer school this year.  but that wouldn't explain the "105 rule" since you can only have 85 scholarship players.  hmm...
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Swino

It was reported today in the ADG that Green still has a bulging disk in his back and that he is starting practice.  I wonder how effective he will be this year with such a problem?

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: Swino on August 12, 2005, 09:28:02 am
It was reported today in the ADG that Green still has a bulging disk in his back and that he is starting practice. I wonder how effective he will be this year with such a problem?

yea, I thought they said that he had major back surgery... doesn't seem right that he'd still have a bulging disk if he just had surgery.  also, it said that he went for a second opinion after the first guy apparently told him to not play for a while... at least that's the impression that I got.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE