Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This will be Broyles last year as AD...

Started by Arkapigdiesel, July 29, 2005, 09:39:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkapigdiesel

HDN will become the new AD, Butch Davis will be the new head coach, and Gus Malzahn will be the new Offensive Coordinator.  Other staff changes are unknown.  Mark it down.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Cresthog

Do we want HDN as our AD? He has definitely got some big shoes to fill if he you are right.

idochog

Quote from: Rusty Shakelford on July 29, 2005, 09:45:11 am
Do we want HDN as our AD? He has definitely got some big shoes to fill if he you are right.

Great, who will be the next mens BB coach, Dickey Nutt?
I love Jesus!

Flatfoot

July 29, 2005, 09:59:40 am #3 Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 10:02:47 am by flatfoot304
Quote from: idochog on July 29, 2005, 09:45:59 am

That is some of the funniest shiite I have ever read on here.  :D  Kudos to idochog!  Broyles will be here until they put him into the ground!  HDN as the AD?  Why would White give him the job when there are several people who are better qualified.  Don't forget about Terry Don Phillips who is at Clemson right now.  Don't you think that he would get the first call if JFB retires.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

sooie dog

At this point Dickey would be an improvement.

HogDodging

Malzahn is a great young coach and we need to get him on the staff at the UA.  However, there is no way he is qualified to step in as an OC.
I can see him coming in as a position coach for a year or two, and then being promoted to OC.
But, going from high school coach straight to D-1 OC is not going to happen.

idochog

Quote from: sooie dog on July 29, 2005, 10:00:20 am

Problem then is his 'Bro will give him a LIFETIME FREE pass.
I love Jesus!

bcg_70

sooie dog

Quote from: idochog on July 29, 2005, 10:20:57 am
Quote from: sooie dog on July 29, 2005, 10:00:20 am

Problem then is his 'Bro will give him a LIFETIME FREE pass.

In the long run that would be a problem. 

mikeirwin

JFB is currently involved in some projects that are long term not short term. There is no way he will voluntarily step aside after this season and allow HDN to take his job.
He would have to be fired in order for it to happen. Explain to me who has the power to pull such a thing off ? John White certainly doesn't. Jim Lindsey might but he'd never do it.
There is one thing you Nutt-to-AD people consistently fail to understand. HDN DOESN'T WANT TO BE AN AD. NOT HERE. NOT ANYWHERE. Nutt wants to coach at least 10 more years. If he's not coaching at Arkansas he'll coach somewhere else. And yes, if he got fired he could find another head coaching job.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: mikeirwin on July 29, 2005, 10:34:04 am
JFB is currently involved in some projects that are long term not short term. There is no way he will voluntarily step aside after this season and allow HDN to take his job.
He would have to be fired in order for it to happen. Explain to me who has the power to pull such a thing off ? John White certainly doesn't. Jim Lindsey might but he'd never do it.
There is one thing you Nutt-to-AD people consistently fail to understand. HDN DOESN'T WANT TO BE AN AD. NOT HERE. NOT ANYWHERE. Nutt wants to coach at least 10 more years. If he's not coaching at Arkansas he'll coach somewhere else. And yes, if he got fired he could find another head coaching job.

Funny thing about these Nutt Huggie types Mike, is they believe their own lies.  They think if they say something enough times their hero, Nutt, won't get shown the door. 

PigMan

The big problem with Coach Nutt becoming the AD is that he is not tough enough. With his emotionalism he will not be capable of making the tough decisions related to coach replacement, etc..  Everytime he would be put in a position of having to fire a coach it would be a cry fest.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: HoopHog on July 29, 2005, 10:56:11 am
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 29, 2005, 10:50:50 am

Funny thing about these Nutt Huggie types Mike, is they believe their own lies. They think if they say something enough times their hero, Nutt, won't get shown the door.

I'm not buying it. I is about as valid as Butch Davis becoming our next coach. It's all a bunch of stupid specualtion and has no validity whatsoever.

Perfect example of what I said.  Just because you don't buy it doesn't make it not so.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: PBD on July 29, 2005, 09:39:54 am
HDN will become the new AD, Butch Davis will be the new head coach, and Gus Malzahn will be the new Offensive Coordinator. Other staff changes are unknown. Mark it down.

Mark this down.  NEVER WILL HAPPEN.  HDN struggles as a HC to have the management ability necessary for his position.  If anything, he is a better coach than manager.  If he is ever to be an AD (anywhere), he has a long ways to go to be qualified for that level of responsibility.  Butch Davis would NEVER work for HDN.  Why should he?  That would be like expecting Frank Broyles to work under Kenny Hatfield.     

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: HoopHog on July 29, 2005, 11:10:31 am
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 29, 2005, 11:04:43 am
Quote from: HoopHog on July 29, 2005, 10:56:11 am
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 29, 2005, 10:50:50 am

Funny thing about these Nutt Huggie types Mike, is they believe their own lies. They think if they say something enough times their hero, Nutt, won't get shown the door.

I'm not buying it. I is about as valid as Butch Davis becoming our next coach. It's all a bunch of stupid specualtion and has no validity whatsoever.

Perfect example of what I said. Just because you don't buy it doesn't make it not so.

"Doesn't make it not so?" I'm not sure what you meant by that Skip. I thought you weren't buying this either and were saying that all the Nutt lovers had come to belive this will come to be? Are you telling me now that you DO believe it?

Maybe I misunderstood what you said Hoop, I thought you were saying you did not buy it that Nutt will not be the next AD and that he will not get fired. I was saying if you believe that just because that is your reality doesn't make it so.  I Maybe I should of deleted not in there, anyway you get my point. I think we disagree on these points, No big deal, sometimes we agree sometimes not.  But when it comes to the games we will both be wanting the Hogs to win and yelling woopig sooie.

HogDodging

Quote from: UAGrad95 on July 29, 2005, 11:21:33 am
Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 29, 2005, 09:59:40 am

That is some of the funniest shiite I have ever read on here. :D Kudos to idochog! Broyles will be here until they put him into the ground! HDN as the AD? Why would White give him the job when there are several people who are better qualified. Don't forget about Terry Don Phillips who is at Clemson right now. Don't you think that he would get the first call if JFB retires.

You're giving John White far more credit than he's earned or than he deserves. The AD White hires will not be the best one we can get. It will be the best "yes man" (or woman) he can find. He is going to get someone who is spineless and will capitulate to his desires to take the emphasis off of Razorback athletics and put it on academics. Everything White has done up there indicates he has a real problem with the amount of money spent on athletics, and the high profile that it generates. He'd be very happy for us to be like Vandy or SMU: known for academics and fogotten on the fields of competition. So, don't look for white to hire someone who is going to put the Athletic department at the next level (unless by "next" you mean "lower").

The best thing that can happen to us is if JFB decides to live longer than John White wants to work. If the next AD is hired by White, you only THINK Razorback athletics sucks now....

Very valid post.  IMHO, White would love to put Bev Lewis in charge of the entire athletic department.

CorningHog

Lord help us if some of these things happen next year!

I for one could see Nutt becoming an AD at Arkansas, but it won't happen next year.  Broyles definitely has a few more years under his belt and would want to see the FINAL touches on the football stadium expansion, probably the last project for him outside of the outdoor track arena.  Plus the 12 game season things will be getting him another crack at finding a great 12th game for our schedule.

It would go against the grain on Houston to want to be known as the guy who had been hand picked to be AD after another bad year.  Those two lines of thinking just don't mix!  Another bad year, Nutt becomes AD, Davis our new head coach, Malzahn the OC?

I would think that Malzahn could become an assistant and could be the OC, but I am still thinking Nutt won't name any assistant the actual OC.  Malzahn is qualified in my book.  Heck, being at a h.s. does not mean he is lacking the skills.  Wait and see if he is hired if he does not become the OC or at least heavily influence the game plan and play calling.

GO HOGS!!!!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Feralhog

No way in hell will Bev Lewis ever be in charge of Razorback Athletics.  Not only would the lower level boosters revolt, Big Money Folke would be on White like gum on a park bench.     
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Cajun Hog

Great, who will be the next men's BB coach, Dickey Nutt?

I agree with your 1st point that FB will be there until the good lord call him home.

Great, who will be the next men's BB coach, Dickey Nutt?

That is some of the funniest shiite I have ever read on here.  :D  Kudos to idochog! Broyles will be here until they put him into the ground! HDN as the AD? Why would White give him the job when there are several people who are better qualified. Don't forget about Terry Don Phillips who is at Clemson right now. Don't you think that he would get the first call if JFB retires.

I agree that Broyles will be here until the end. But John White doesn't have a say in the next AD, Jim Lindsey will make that call.  JW is lucky to still have a job, after he tried to force FB out in the past. Plus HDN isn't interested in the AD job.  He wants to coach Football.

That is some of the funniest shiite I have ever read on here.  :D  Kudos to idochog! Broyles will be here until they put him into the ground! HDN as the AD? Why would White give him the job when there are several people who are better qualified. Don't forget about Terry Don Phillips who is at Clemson right now. Don't you think that he would get the first call if JFB retires.

Razorback Jedi

hogginuplittlerock

if that happens here comes another 2004 situation or even worse-the 92 situation  :o

Flatfoot

HogDodging

Quote from: Feralhog on July 29, 2005, 11:44:29 am
No way in hell will Bev Lewis ever be in charge of Razorback Athletics. Not only would the lower level boosters revolt, Big Money Folke would be on White like gum on a park bench.

I didn't say she would.  And, I sure as heck hope that never happens.  But, as was pointed out in another post, White does not like the emphasis Arkansas places on athletics.  His failed power play against Broyles was the first indication that he would like to have someone else in charge.
It just wouldn't surprise me one bit if White suggests Lewis be named AD.

idochog

Quote from: Feralhog on July 29, 2005, 11:44:29 am
No way in hell will Bev Lewis ever be in charge of Razorback Athletics. Not only would the lower level boosters revolt, Big Money Folke would be on White like gum on a park bench.

White would be best served keeping his nose stuck up the rears of the gymbacks and let the real men run athletics on the mens side.
I love Jesus!

Flatfoot

I agree idochog, he really does want the U of A to become a Vandy in the academia world.  He acts like he would sacrifice the entire athletic program to do it.  Thank heavens that will never happen with all of the big money pumped into the program.

Skip Foreplay

July 29, 2005, 02:44:36 pm #25 Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 12:46:11 pm by Pig in a Poke
Somehow this all seems possible.Why would Butch Davis just be chillin in Chickendale?He could easily find another coaching job elsewhere,major D1 or otherwise.I've heard UALR is looking for a coach.

Jim Harris

HDN will become the new AD, Butch Davis will be the new head coach, and Gus Malzahn will be the new Offensive Coordinator. Other staff changes are unknown. Mark it down.

the day Houston Nutt is named AD, the Razorback Foundation is going to lose about $2 million in donations, I guarantee it. It's already lost a few hundred thousand this past year because he's still the coach.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: HogInParaloma on July 29, 2005, 03:32:08 pm
Quote from: drakehog on July 29, 2005, 03:26:49 pm

the day Houston Nutt is named AD, the Razorback Foundation is going to lose about $2 million in donations, I guarantee it. It's already lost a few hundred thousand this past year because he's still the coach.

A few hundred as in $100, or $850,000?

Do you have a link?

www.idontgiveashit.com
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

three

If you talk to Frank, he's not shy about telling you what he'd like to do in ten years.  He really believes he'll still be here.  He's got his eye on the future, and at this rate, he might outlive us all.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

PerryHog

Quote from: UAGrad95 on July 29, 2005, 11:21:33 am

That is some of the funniest shiite I have ever read on here. :D Kudos to idochog! Broyles will be here until they put him into the ground! HDN as the AD? Why would White give him the job when there are several people who are better qualified. Don't forget about Terry Don Phillips who is at Clemson right now. Don't you think that he would get the first call if JFB retires.

You're giving John White far more credit than he's earned or than he deserves. The AD White hires will not be the best one we can get. It will be the best "yes man" (or woman) he can find. He is going to get someone who is spineless and will capitulate to his desires to take the emphasis off of Razorback athletics and put it on academics. Everything White has done up there indicates he has a real problem with the amount of money spent on athletics, and the high profile that it generates. He'd be very happy for us to be like Vandy or SMU: known for academics and fogotten on the fields of competition. So, don't look for white to hire someone who is going to put the Athletic department at the next level (unless by "next" you mean "lower").

The best thing that can happen to us is if JFB decides to live longer than John White wants to work. If the next AD is hired by White, you only THINK Razorback athletics sucks now....

I couldn't agree more '95. White wants a wuss, no matter what. No doubt about it. Our best hope is that Frank outlasts him. If not, our final hope is that the money guys will get behind their choice, and stymie white.
I am certain of this much. If white has his way, athletics as we know them are dead. Intramural w/tv at best.
And the worst thing is that Arkansas will end up known nationally as the program that not only destroyed the swc, but killed bigtime athletics for the whole country, because white is spearheading the effort to emasculate athletic spending for the entire nation, not just the razorbacks. 

mikeirwin

Quote from: hogmommy on July 29, 2005, 11:56:16 pm
Quote from: hogmommy on July 29, 2005, 01:46:27 pm
I thought that HDN becoming the AD when JFB retires was part of the deal to keep him from going to Nebraska.  That and a 10-year contract.  Does anyone else remember these as being stipulations?

I would really appreciate someone confirming this or denying it.
It was supposedly something that Broyles offered. I'm not sure it was specified in the contract. Nutt said at the time he wasn't interested in being AD unless it was many years down the road.

mikeirwin

Quote from: three on July 29, 2005, 05:28:39 pm
If you talk to Frank, he's not shy about telling you what he'd like to do in ten years. He really believes he'll still be here. He's got his eye on the future, and at this rate, he might outlive us all.
You are dead on. Frank is always looking for a new cause. This Alzheimers thing has him all fired up. He believes that by remaining on the job he can serve as example of how the elderly can remain active provided they stay healthy. One more reason to wipe out Alzheimers.

videohog

Nutt wont have a chance to be AD if he doesnt start winning...

Feralhog

Quote from: mikeirwin on July 30, 2005, 12:05:58 am
I thought that HDN becoming the AD when JFB retires was part of the deal to keep him from going to Nebraska.  That and a 10-year contract.  Does anyone else remember these as being stipulations?

It was supposedly something that Broyles offered. I'm not sure it was specified in the contract. Nutt said at the time he wasn't interested in being AD unless it was many years down the road.

I know for a fact Broyles offered it.  For some reason, I was never informed of HDN's response.  Looking back, it's kinda wierd that I didn't ask.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

mikeirwin

Quote from: Feralhog on July 30, 2005, 07:38:42 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on July 30, 2005, 12:05:58 am
I thought that HDN becoming the AD when JFB retires was part of the deal to keep him from going to Nebraska. That and a 10-year contract. Does anyone else remember these as being stipulations?

I know for a fact Broyles offered it. For some reason, I was never informed of HDN's response. Looking back, it's kinda wierd that I didn't ask.
I remember his response. It was in the newspapers not long after his new contract was signed.
He said that becoming AD at some future time was a non issue in his decision to remain at Arkansas. He mentioned that it had been offered but he had no intention of doing both (head coach/AD) and he had no intention of giving up coaching for a LONG time. He has repeated this same thing several times to various Razorback beat reporters who have asked.

prairiehog

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 29, 2005, 12:12:56 pm
Quote from: Razorback Jedi on July 29, 2005, 11:57:45 am
Laughable

Make a point jedi, what is laughable?

The notion that Broyles will not be AD after this year. Isn't that painfully obvious?

MarieHogFan

The posts on here saying John White doesn't want a strong athletic program are pretty funny.  What John White wants is a school where the academic program is as strong as the athletic program.  He has said on numerous occassions, which apparently several on here choose to ignore, is that a school with a strong athletic program is good for the rest of the school because it helps in recruiting students.  And since his goal is to have a student enrollment of 20,000 what kind of sense does it make to lower the status of the athletic program?  His goal is to raise the academics to the level of the athletics, not the other way around.

What he wants is an institution like the one he came from, Georgia Tech, which is strong academically and has an athletic program that is far stronger than the athletic program Arkansas has right now.

HaWg 10

Quote from: PigMan on July 29, 2005, 10:56:25 am
The big problem with Coach Nutt becoming the AD is that he is not tough enough. With his emotionalism he will not be capable of making the tough decisions related to coach replacement, etc.. Everytime he would be put in a position of having to fire a coach it would be a cry fest.

thats good stuff..
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

Flatfoot

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on July 31, 2005, 10:21:50 pm
Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 29, 2005, 12:12:56 pm
Quote from: Razorback Jedi on July 29, 2005, 11:57:45 am
Laughable

Make a point jedi, what is laughable?

The notion that Broyles will not be AD after this year. Isn't that painfully obvious?

JFB will die with his boots on, in his office, with pen in hand, break the guiness book of world record for being the oldest living man of 135, and be just about to fire another coach in 2045!

Skip Foreplay

Quote from: three on July 29, 2005, 05:28:39 pm
If you talk to Frank, he's not shy about telling you what he'd like to do in ten years. He really believes he'll still be here. He's got his eye on the future, and at this rate, he might outlive us all.
He might out live most of us..but Irwin  will be the next AD (From my lips to God's ears)

GorillaJMonsoon

August 10, 2005, 04:15:21 pm #41 Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 04:17:08 pm by GorillaJMonsoon
This is from the Houston Chronicle:

Butch Davis was forced out at Cleveland and allowed to resign. If he had quit, he wouldn't have walked away with $12 million of owner Randy Lerner's money. Davis took his case to the media and claimed he had a panic attack before last week's game against Cincinnati and that his family was being affected by the constant barrage of criticism from fans and media.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer report that a high-ranking NFL executive encouraged Lerner to get it over with before the Browns hosted the Patriots today. The fans, who turned against Davis long ago, would have been vicious as the Browns headed for a sixth consecutive defeat and a 3-9 record. Davis wasn't liked or respected by most of his players.

"It's just how Butch is and how guys relate to him," safety Robert Griffith said. "I don't think guys were able to relate to him in a way that was positive for them to get their jobs done, for whatever reason."

Davis traded receiver Quincy Morgan to Dallas in October.

"He just wasn't up front with a lot of guys," Morgan said. "You can talk to him and he'll tell you one thing, and behind your back it's another."

So, you want a guy that isn't liked or respected by the players, isn't up front with people, and doesn't handle criticism from media and fans well.  I say keep Houston as coach and let Butch be AD.

J

cityhog

Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 29, 2005, 01:58:02 pm
I agree idochog, he really does want the U of A to become a Vandy in the academia world. He acts like he would sacrifice the entire athletic program to do it. Thank heavens that will never happen with all of the big money pumped into the program.

I know I'm gonna getted flamed for this, but please keep in mind that the UofA IS an academic institution, not just a cover operation for the Hogs.  White, being the president of the University of course wants the highest academic standards for the state's FLAGSHIP university.  If he didn't, he wouldn't be doing his job.  He has helped raise hundreds of millions of dollars to make the UofA a nationally competitive school on an academic level, just as we are a nationally competitive school in athletics. Broyles has donated A LOT of money to the library, so he obviously feels it's a mutually beneficial relationship.  Notre Dame does it, Stanford does it.  Those two schools are nationally competive in academics and athletics.  Why NOT Arkansas?  I think you guys are selling the benefit of having a strong academic culture a little short.  How many recruits list academics as a very important factor in their visit/decision making process?  Fear not, those w/ the purse-strings will never let the U of A become a Vandy or an SMU in the athletic arena.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: hogmommy on August 10, 2005, 07:37:40 pm
Quote from: cityhog on August 10, 2005, 06:28:37 pm
Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 29, 2005, 01:58:02 pm
I agree idochog, he really does want the U of A to become a Vandy in the academia world. He acts like he would sacrifice the entire athletic program to do it. Thank heavens that will never happen with all of the big money pumped into the program.

I know I'm gonna getted flamed for this, but please keep in mind that the UofA IS an academic institution, not just a cover operation for the Hogs. White, being the president of the University of course wants the highest academic standards for the state's FLAGSHIP university. If he didn't, he wouldn't be doing his job. He has helped raise hundreds of millions of dollars to make the UofA a nationally competitive school on an academic level, just as we are a nationally competitive school in athletics. Broyles has donated A LOT of money to the library, so he obviously feels it's a mutually beneficial relationship. Notre Dame does it, Stanford does it. Those two schools are nationally competive in academics and athletics. Why NOT Arkansas? I think you guys are selling the benefit of having a strong academic culture a little short. How many recruits list academics as a very important factor in their visit/decision making process? Fear not, those w/ the purse-strings will never let the U of A become a Vandy or an SMU in the athletic arena.

I agree wholeheartedly, CityHog. Several years ago I sat on the UA's student leadership coalition. We were all invited to a luncheon revealing White's new Campaign for the 21st Century. His goal was to decrease the huge disparity between athletic donations and academic donations. He succeeded, and I firmly believe UA is on its way to becoming an academic, as well as athletic powerhouse. We should all hope for this. I personally know a former Hog baseball player who was offered an athletic scholarship, but took the academic scholarship he was offered first because he valued his education more than his potential as a professional athlete. He didn't get drafted, but he now has a masters in finance. I only wish more players would value their education as much as he did.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of situation you are talking about here hogmommy, but I don't think the NCAA allows players to participate in sports while on an academic scholarship.  I think a student-athlete either has to be on a athletic scholarship or pay their own way to participate.  Of course, most of the Hog baseball players are only on partial athletic scholarships (there are only so many scholarships available for baseball), so you could have meant that he decided to quit the baseball team so that he could accept a full academic scholarship and finish his education.  Sometimes the NCAA is a little hypocritical when they expound the academic virtues of the student athletes but only allow some athletes to receive partial scholarships because of the scholarship limits that they have imposed on the member institutions.  This hits particularly hard on the men's baseball and track teams because they have numerous athletes in their programs but not enough scholarships to go around because of the Title IX requirements.

Razorfan

You put Malzahn over at Rogers HS and you are still going to come up with mediocre. Springdale has had and will continue to have real good football players. Maybe this year Gus Will have a chance to see if he can win a big game in spite of his coaching really not a prospect for Razorback Football. Hopefully Broyles will retire, he is real good at raising money for Razorback Athletics's perhaps the U of A could use him in this aspect only. Does anyone think that Houston could be the AD that we need to replace Frank, probably not so where does that leave us. We need a new Athletic Director a new Coach and a Real Offensive Coordinator. Maybe Butch can help, Razorback Football should be better than average but what we have is average or below. WE NEED A CHANGE NOW!

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: hogmommy on August 11, 2005, 09:12:03 am
Quote from: Anti-OtisII on August 10, 2005, 10:41:55 pm
I'm not sure exactly what kind of situation you are talking about here hogmommy, but I don't think the NCAA allows players to participate in sports while on an academic scholarship.  I think a student-athlete either has to be on a athletic scholarship or pay their own way to participate.  Of course, most of the Hog baseball players are only on partial athletic scholarships (there are only so many scholarships available for baseball), so you could have meant that he decided to quit the baseball team so that he could accept a full academic scholarship and finish his education.  Sometimes the NCAA is a little hypocritical when they expound the academic virtues of the student athletes but only allow some athletes to receive partial scholarships because of the scholarship limits that they have imposed on the member institutions.  This hits particularly hard on the men's baseball and track teams because they have numerous athletes in their programs but not enough scholarships to go around because of the Title IX requirements.

I am entirely sure that he received a Chancellor's Scholarship and maintained it throughout his time at the UA.  He red-shirted his freshman year and played 4.  Also, I believe Daniel Lincoln from the track team was on a Chancellor's as well.  He went on to get a master's degree, set a world record, and went to the Olympics.   Maybe they found a loophole.  If that truly is the NCAA policy, why aren't people working hard to get it changed?  Both these guys were required to maintain a 3.2 GPA and take 30 hours a year in order to maintain their scholarships, but they also managed to fulfill their obligations to their team.

You may be correct, but I'm not sure how that would work.  From what I've always heard, the intent of not letting student-athletes receive academic scholarships is to keep schools and their athletic departments from getting around the athletic scholarship limits by letting the "smart" players take academic scholarships and still maintaining the full allotment of athletic scholarships for other players.  You can see how schools could then have 10-20 football players on academic scholarships and 85 on athletic scholarhips and end up with 95-105 players on "scholarships" instead of the 85 maximum.  I vaguely remember this discussion came up a couple of years ago when the Hog basketball team had a transfer (can't remember his name) from SMU and his parents had to pay his way for the one year because the team already had the maximum number of players on athletic scholarship and even though he could have received an academic scholarship, he wasn't allowed to receive one if he wanted to play on the BB team.  Maybe someone else (Mike Irwin?) can clear this issue up for us.

mikeirwin

Basically the NCAA doesn't trust the football coaches at member schools not to try to add extra scholarships by putting their signees on scholarships in other sports or by giving them academic scholarships. Most college administrators would never allow such a thing since the spring sports coaches and the academic faculty would go ballistic over such a practice. Nevertheless the temptation has been removed. If you play football on scholarship that scholarship must come from the school's allotment of 85 for football.

Drite

I have the privledge of seeing Coach Broyles about once/twice a week.  If he resigns, Id be shocked.  On the surface he looks fine and I sincerely dont see health holding him back...could be wrong as ya never know when something might go bad.  Another thing that makes me think he will not retire next year...or even the next...is that the man likes to stay busy.  Without the late, great Mrs. Broyles by his side he seems to get out more...seems more active.  In my observations of Coach, without the AD position, he may blow a gasket...its a true passion.

I also think he wants to have a bit more stability in the Football and Basketball progems before handing it to someone esle to "pick up the pieces".
Happiness is a sharp knife.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: mikeirwin on August 11, 2005, 01:14:31 pm
Basically the NCAA doesn't trust the football coaches at member schools not to try to add extra scholarships by putting their signees on scholarships in other sports or by giving them academic scholarships. Most college administrators would never allow such a thing since the spring sports coaches and the academic faculty would go ballistic over such a practice. Nevertheless the temptation has been removed. If you play football on scholarship that scholarship must come from the school's allotment of 85 for football.

Does the same apply to all sports?  Such as baseball and track that have a lot of partial athletic scholarships.  I would think that it would have to, but I'm not sure.  Hogmommy indicated that she thought one of the baseball players she knew had a Chancellor's academic scholarship. 

PerryHog

August 11, 2005, 06:44:23 pm #49 Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 07:12:31 pm by PerryHog
Quote from: hogmommy on August 11, 2005, 09:12:03 am
Quote from: Anti-OtisII on August 10, 2005, 10:41:55 pm

I am entirely sure that he received a Chancellor's Scholarship and maintained it throughout his time at the UA.  He red-shirted his freshman year and played 4.  Also, I believe Daniel Lincoln from the track team was on a Chancellor's as well.  He went on to get a master's degree, set a world record, and went to the Olympics.   Maybe they found a loophole.  If that truly is the NCAA policy, why aren't people working hard to get it changed?  Both these guys were required to maintain a 3.2 GPA and take 30 hours a year in order to maintain their scholarships, but they also managed to fulfill their obligations to their team.

You obviously are extremely intelligent. But maybe just a tad naive when it comes to the ncaa. The welfare of the student athlete, or the university said atlhlete attends, is not, EVUH!, considered by the ncaa.
Their sole function is to perpetuate their fiefdom, also known as college athletics.
I can assure you that if something is obviously good for an athlete, it's against the rules.
Daniel Lincoln is one of my favorite hogs ever. What a story! No world records I'm aware of, unless it was one of those age record things, but still. He did all he did, made the grades, med school and all, AND won ncaa championships, wow, what a success story, not only for himself, but for the uofa, and the whole state as well.
But he was participating in a non money making sport, which the ncaa does not care about, since there is no money to be made there. Though they do everything possible to bring down the dynasty John Mcdonnell has built. Out of spite, I surmise. Either spite, or they are just flat taking money for it. Whatever.
If Daniel had been a football player though, the very first time he stepped on the field, he'd have lost his chancellors' schollie. Not next semester either, but right then. He'd have had to pay back the whole of that schollie, even if he only played one play.
On the other hand, it's perfectly ok for lsu baseball players to get louisiania state academic scholarships, while arkansas kids can't, thus giving lsu a considerable advantage.
But it's not a money maker, and lsu, though good in baseball, hasn't dominated completely, so therefore the ncaa has not even bothered with this obvious imbalance.
The ncaa is nothing but a good idea, turned bureaucracy, and then gone incredibly bad.