Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FINAL from Starkville: Mississippi State 35 BYU 10

Started by jbcarol, October 13, 2017, 06:57:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

October 13, 2017, 06:57:58 pm Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:17:57 am by jbcarol
 DJournalnow‏ @DJournalnow 6h6 hours ago

Tomorrow, BYU meets an MSU team it had success against last year https://buff.ly/2xDnPCM

QuoteSTARKVLLE – BYU began the year on the cusp of being included in the Associated Press Top 25.

Since a 20-6 win over Portland State to open the season, the Cougars have dropped five straight games by an average of 20 points. It is the first time in 47 years BYU has lost five consecutive contests.

"Our goal is to be balanced and right now we're not doing anything that's really good," said BYU coach Kalani Sitake, who team visits Mississippi State on Saturday. "The only thing we're being balanced at is being bad."

Most of the BYU's problems have come on the offensive side of the ball. The Cougars rank 127th nationally in both scoring (11.7) and total offense (253.5). Sitake's squad sits 116th at passing (155.8) and 120th at rushing (97.7).

BYU is coming off a home loss to Boise State last week. The Cougars scored on their initial drive before Boise State responded with 24 unanswered points.

"Right now we're just trying to get a win and be consistent," Sitake said. "Obviously you have to run the ball and throw the ball but if we have something that's working we'll stick with it. The ultimate goal is to try to get points on the board, which will help us win. You can't win very many games just scoring seven points."

On Saturday, BYU meets an MSU team it had success against last year. The Cougars won a 28-21 double overtime decision in Provo when tight end Tanner Balderree hauled in a 25-yard game-winning touchdown.

"We're going to their house so it'll be a different deal," Sitake said. "I think it's a good time for our guys to go get some reflection on who we are as a team. We're going into a hostile environment with a lot of cowbells and stuff. I'm looking forward to the game and just trying to get this thing turned around and hopefully that happens this weekend."

MSU quarterback Nick Fitzgerald accounted for 296 yards and three touchdowns against the Cougars last year.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Will Sammon‏Verified account @WillSammon 13m13 minutes ago

thoughts on a 35-10 win for MSU over BYU in a game where we saw "a lot of good and lot of bad," as Fitzgerald put it

QuoteState was a 22-point favorite in this one, and BYU sticking around was the result of the Bulldogs' sloppiness.

So, here is some unsolicited and sobering advice for Mississippi State after its 35-10 win against BYU Saturday: Forget the lopsided score. Remember the missed tackles, poor throws, dropped passes, special teams miscues and the big catches allowed.

"We did some silly things that didn't make me happy," Dan Mullen said. "Those are things we've got to get fixed, but overall, I liked our performance."

Mississippi State (4-2, 1-2 SEC) crushing BYU (1-6) provided a pleasant experience for the home crowd despite a predictably sleepy atmosphere (11 a.m. starts tend to elicit those). And it got the Bulldogs one game closer to bowl eligibility. It likely served as a much-needed confidence-booster for some, too.

Beyond that? From a big-picture perspective, it's hard to say what was learned. Even Dan Mullen joked around when asked what he learned from his receiving group from the game before saying six receivers making at least two catches was a good sign depth-wise going forward.

"They're good kids, but they're not the smartest kids in the world so they didn't teach me anything philosophically," Mullen said. 
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

rzrbkman