Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How has a lower tier school like Miss St had more success than Arkansas lately?

Started by Sweet Feet, September 20, 2017, 01:27:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Mississippi State i don't really consider to be a better program than Arkansas overall, but what is it about their program that has helped them be more successful than Arkansas in the past 5 years?

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Ben

Pretty much Dan Mullen...what he has done at Miss St has been pretty great, considering the type of program MSU is.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Sweet Feet on September 20, 2017, 01:27:00 pm
Mississippi State i don't really consider to be a better program than Arkansas overall, but what is it about their program that has helped them be more successful than Arkansas in the past 5 years?
We have a better GPA!! We have a better GPA!!

phadedhawg

They aren't afraid of playing in state schools???  hahahaha

311Hog

concentration of football talent is greater in Mississippi. Mullen is a good coach  lower expectations easier to exceed them.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hawganatic

Record against Miss State since we joined the SEC is 16-8.  Half of those losses were from 2012-2015.

From 1995 through 2011 we only dropped two games to them, and then went on a four game skid.

Not hard to figure out what the issue here is...

BroyledNutts

MSU Athletics = Winning program > Integrity and girl's soccer ...

But it goes deeper than that - Mullen has been on the purported hot seat many times, but he has the coaching acumen and recruiting skills to tap into the talent available to him and find kids that can help his program. He and the Athletic Department there have a clear goal of what he and they want MSU Football to be... and he works with every coaching decision and recruiting class to achieve that goal.

Our program has no such identity or goals, beyond grade points and lose with integrity.

jst01

Dak and Fitzgerald have both been just about the best QB in the SEC during their time there.

311Hog

Quote from: jst01 on September 20, 2017, 01:36:25 pm
Dak and Fitzgerald have both been just about the best QB in the SEC during their time there.

yep he subscribes to that pee wee league offensive mentality of put your best player at QB and let them rip.  ( i don't like it but it works most of the time).

Porkette

They have stability right now, with a good head coach who has been there a while.

However, they did finish with a worse record than we had last year.
GO HOGS GO!

GunnerHawg70

Man, this thread could get ugly fast...Well, I'm gonna say the success started during the Dak years and HBC Mullen capitalized off that.  Recruits saw the success and wanted to be a part of something special.  HBC Mullen is a motivator; it's a truth that The Leader sets the tone and example for all to follow.  CBB is more of a laid back players coach, this is good for recruits and parents alike but not necessarily great for the program.  If you noticed the more intense the coach, the more aggressive the players. 

Now with that being said MSU is like any other program not named Alabama, they will go through peaks and valleys. They will eternally finish sometimes 2nd place or bottom of the middle tier teams.  Whatever HBC Mullen is doing it's definitely working. Defense swarms to ball, helluva QB in Fitzgerald and overall a fun team to watch when not playing the Hogs...Just not a fan of those cowbells  :puke:

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

pigroots

We have pretty much owned MSU. One reason is we played them quite often right after they played Alabama.Mullen is considered one of the best HCs. Our programs are very similar but they do have a more fertile recruiting area

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 20, 2017, 01:31:13 pm
They aren't afraid of playing in state schools???  hahahaha

You went there so here goes: The revenue and fan support for the entire state will go through the roof (on the positive side) if Hogs / Red Wolves played in LRWM once a year...It would never get old!!!  "The Diamond State Battle" or "I-40 Battle lines" or something dumb like that...LOL

Razorfox

gchamblee

gchamblee

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 20, 2017, 01:50:54 pm
You went there so here goes: The revenue and fan support for the entire state will go through the roof (on the positive side) if Hogs / Red Wolves played in LRWM once a year...It would never get old!!!  "The Diamond State Battle" or "I-40 Battle lines" or something dumb like that...LOL

Yes, a lopsided blowout game every year would generate so much hype.

311Hog

is no one else going to mention that it is almost a certainty that MSU is paying their players?

I mean one of their current players just testified against Ole Miss admitting to being paid to play not to mention the Cam Newton saga etc. and you wonder why they are having more success?

It is only a matter of time before the NCAA gets around to investigating MSU, probably right after they get done with Ole Piss Rebel Black Bare.

LRHawg

gchamblee

Typical. Someone is better than us so they are obviously cheating lol.

GuvHog

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 20, 2017, 01:50:54 pm

"The Governor's Cup Classic"

The winner gets to take home something similar to NHL's Stanley Cup Trophy.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

311Hog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 20, 2017, 01:57:42 pm

are you seriously denying that it is a fact that MSU has been linked (one is an active player) to people taking money to play?

Cam's dad and the whistle blower a MSU booster/alum is what set that whole thing off because he offered cash and was outbid.

Wildhog

MSU boosters are absolutely paying players.

It was MSU, after all, that got out-bid for Cam Newton.  Remember Kenny Rogers?  Not the singer.  The bag man.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rickfahr

Quote from: gchamblee on September 20, 2017, 01:55:06 pm

I don't think we want any part of ASU at the moment, and before everyone laughs -- ASU just thought it wanted some of UCA last year.

It would be a HUGE game for both fan bases. Hottest ticket of the year without question.

cityhog

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

phadedhawg

Granted the TCU game looked bad but I can't see ASU blowing us out.  I think we'd keep it close.

Etowah

Small sample size...they are not better.

Any time MSU has even been competitive..followed up by probation.

Just like Baylor is not better than Texas....just because they have gone a few years and have been better.

Cyclical.

311Hog

no hog player, coach, or fan would give two shites about the Red Indian Wolfs.

i wouldn't even watch it on tv.  I couldn't imagine being a player trying to get up for that game.

98hogs

They've had a better Coach.  Nuf said

RME

Quote from: 311Hog on September 20, 2017, 01:59:08 pm
are you seriously denying that it is a fact that MSU has been linked (one is an active player) to people taking money to play?

Cam's dad and the whistle blower a MSU booster/alum is what set that whole thing off because he offered cash and was outbid.

Who is the active player now?

Wasn't the Cam thing like 8 years ago now?

Almost all 4* recruits that Mississippi State has gotten in the past several years are from Mississippi. No different from Arkansas keeping 4* recruits in-state. Are they shelling out thousands to land 3* recruits from Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana?

Maybe they've just got a hell of a coach who is pretty salty in the player development department.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: GuvHog on September 20, 2017, 01:57:43 pm
"The Governor's Cup Classic"

The winner gets to take home something similar to NHL's Stanley Cup Trophy.

GuvHog you are on to something!!!  That would be better than the "Battle Line Rivalry"... gchamblee is a Debbie downer on this one; I really think ASU would give the current Hogs a run for their money.  Fact: ODU just joined C-USA in 2014 and has already scheduled Va. Tech for in-state games.  Dude, I can almost bet if (we know it will never happen) Hogs / Red Wolves played you would watch if not go every year.  I know, it's never gonna happen.

Razorbackers

RME

No kidding.

If a coworker gets a promotion before I do, even if I know they're better at their job and work harder than I do, I'm just gonna be pissed off and assume they were sleeping with my boss. Forget the fact they outperformed and outworked me.

Wildhog

Mullen did win nine games in year two.  It's not like it's been a slow building process.  Dude's just a great coach.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

GoHogs1091

Mullen is a better Head Coach.

They actually do a better job of developing players.

They play players at the correct positions.  None of the nonsensical moving players around and experimenting at incorrect positions.

They now have a Defensive Coordinator (Grantham) who is probably better than any DC we have had recently.

They utilize a more dynamic offense.  None of the garbage bunch formation offense that we try to get cute with.

RME

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 20, 2017, 02:16:20 pm
Mullen is a better Head Coach.

They actually do a better job of developing players.

They play players at the correct positions.  None of the nonsensical moving players around and experimenting at incorrect positions.

They now have a Defensive Coordinator (Grantham) who is probably better than any DC we have had recently.

They utilize a more dynamic offense.  None of the garbage bunch formation offense that we try to get cute with.

The state of Mississippi is also home to some of the most productive JUCOs in the country. Mullen has mastered landing those guys and turning them into contributors.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Wildhog on September 20, 2017, 02:13:38 pm
Mullen did win nine games in year two.  It's not like it's been a slow building process.  Dude's just a great coach.

Then he went 7 wins, 8 wins, 7 wins, and fans wanted him long gone.

Then he got Dak. Last year he went 6-7, and MSU fans wanted him gone again.

Now he's 3-0.

Dan is a great coach, especially when it comes to finding QBs that fit his system. But he was close to gone in the 3 year stretch for sure.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: HogFansReunited on September 20, 2017, 02:15:36 pm
What makes you think they are lower tier?

History in the SEC dictates this.  Ole Miss, MSU, Vandy, Kentucky historically have been the middle or bottom "football" teams of the modern era SEC.  Not until 1991 (USC(E) and Hogs) joined did the SEC become more of a balanced in the West and Super Teams in the East.  Well we all see the shift but the aforementioned teams never got into the upper echelon of the SEC and if they did it was short lived...I just confused myself so I hope it makes sense and answers your question...

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 20, 2017, 02:23:08 pm
Then he went 7 wins, 8 wins, 7 wins, and fans wanted him long gone.

Then he got Dak. Last year he went 6-7, and MSU fans wanted him gone again.

Now he's 3-0.

Dan is a great coach, especially when it comes to finding QBs that fit his system. But he was close to gone in the 3 year stretch for sure.

I think people forget what MSU was before he got there.

1909/1964/1965/1977

311Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 20, 2017, 02:11:01 pm
Who is the active player now?

Wasn't the Cam thing like 8 years ago now?

Almost all 4* recruits that Mississippi State has gotten in the past several years are from Mississippi. No different from Arkansas keeping 4* recruits in-state. Are they shelling out thousands to land 3* recruits from Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana?

Maybe they've just got a hell of a coach who is pretty salty in the player development department.

Google

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/mississippi-state-lb-leo-lewis-reportedly-testified-ole-miss-infractions-hearing/

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

311Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 20, 2017, 02:12:53 pm
No kidding.

If a coworker gets a promotion before I do, even if I know they're better at their job and work harder than I do, I'm just gonna be pissed off and assume they were sleeping with my boss. Forget the fact they outperformed and outworked me.

or you could watch a video of your co-worker actually sleeping with your boss and then act like it didn't happen...

Wildhog

I'm telling y'all... MSU boosters are absolutely, positively, 100% paying some players.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorbackers

Quote from: Wildhog on September 20, 2017, 02:24:42 pm
I think people forget what MSU was before he got there.

People forget the past pretty quickly when good stuff happens.