Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaches Poll

Started by bphi11ips, August 23, 2017, 10:04:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 23, 2017, 10:04:06 am
http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/2017/1/

Hogs at least getting votes.  Otherwise more of the same.

Getting votes wouldn't be too bad if it was only like 10-15 schools getting the votes instead of 30+.

VirginiaHog

Ranked 38 if I counted right. Not bad considering all. Start 3 or 4-0 and we would likely be ranked.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 23, 2017, 10:19:31 am
Getting votes wouldn't be too bad if it was only like 10-15 schools getting the votes instead of 30+.

I don't think we got a single vote in the AP poll.  If I counted correctly, we are 38 here, exactly where ESPN has us in its FPI.

I think Sagarin is right and that we are one of the best 20 college football teams in the country, but that doesn't mean we'll win enough games to be ranked in the top 20 at the end of the season. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

31to6

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 23, 2017, 10:25:23 am
I don't think we got a single vote in the AP poll.  If I counted correctly, we are 38 here, exactly where ESPN has us in its FPI.

I think Sagarin is right and that we are one of the best 20 college football teams in the country, but that doesn't mean we'll win enough games to be ranked in the top 20 at the end of the season. 
We were ranked for several weeks last season and would have ended the season ranked if we had taken care of business in November.

TN and AU were ranked at seasons end with 9-4 and 8-5 records, respectively.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 23, 2017, 10:25:23 am

We could crush it in the B12 with our QB and O this season. Not as much need to for top flight defensive players. Analyst would have us as contenders for the conference.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 23, 2017, 12:19:06 pm
We could crush it in the B12 with our QB and O this season. Not as much need to for top flight defensive players. Analyst would have us as contenders for the conference.

There are six teams from the B12 ranked higher than us. There are four SEC teams we have as opponents ranked higher. So yeah, we would definitely crush those big 12 losers. Apparently the coaches don't agree with you.

Pig Power

Win the first three games and I believe this team would crack the Top 25.

Hoggish1

Tied with Memphis at 22 points?  AYSM?

GoHogs1091

Oklahoma lost basically all of their skill position players around Mayfield.  Wouldn't be surprising if Oklahoma loses at least 2 conference games this season, plus lose their road game at Ohio State.

Southern Cal is going to need more than just Darnold and Jones.

Here is how I would rank the top 10 based on strictly on the players who are returning and the replacement players for the non-returnees.

1.  Florida State
2.  Clemson
3.  Alabama
4.  Ohio State
5.  Penn State
6.  Michigan
7.  Washington
8.  Oklahoma State
9.  Southern Cal
10.  Wisconsin

RazorPiggie

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 23, 2017, 04:43:20 pm
Oklahoma lost basically all of their skill position players around Mayfield.  Wouldn't be surprising if Oklahoma loses at least 2 conference games this season, plus lose their road game at Ohio State.

Southern Cal is going to need more than just Darnold and Jones.

Here is how I would rank the top 10 based on strictly on the players who are returning and the replacement players for the non-returnees.

1.  Florida State
2.  Clemson
3.  Alabama
4.  Ohio State
5.  Penn State
6.  Michigan
7.  Washington
8.  Oklahoma State
9.  Southern Cal
10.  Wisconsin

Didn't Michigan lose like 10 guys on defense?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 23, 2017, 04:45:41 pm
Didn't Michigan lose like 10 guys on defense?

They return Rashan Gary though, and Harbaugh has recruited well.

PigPusher

Does not matter what anyone forecasts. It is all decided on the field and which team wants it the most.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.