Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HogNation: What Do Think of Bielema After his Presser?

Started by Brer Hog, December 05, 2012, 09:03:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you like the hire now?

Woo Pig Sooie!!!  We've got a Football Coach!
He is the Head Hog, but I'm Still not excited... I'll believe it when he beats Bama

Hoggish1

Watching that press conference should erase all doubts for most everyone.  He is going to do very well here.

And this is coming from a fan who thought the world of Petrino!

moses_007

This guy is a winner and it shows on his face.  You can certainly tell he's been a lineman--has that big neck and the look of a corn-fed lineman in the Big 10.

DoghouseHog2

I havent seen the presser yet, but im excited about this hire. It really says a lot about our program and our AD. Change is scary, but this puts us in a good situation going forward.  Good week to be a hog fan.
over and out.

moses_007

What's really impressive is that Jeff Long went in and stole the winningest coach in the Big 10.  Prepare yourself for better things to come, Hog fans.  I truly believe it.

ChrisD

Impressed.
Very confident and comfortable. Talked like a winner.

blue

He won the darn out of that press conf. Thank god Bama didnt show up.

Hog inAustin

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 05, 2012, 09:06:04 pm
Watching that press conference should erase all doubts for most everyone.  He is going to do very well here.

And this is coming from a fan who thought the world of Petrino!

Ditto...

TDHawgs

He made a very great first impression. Seemed like a guy who wants to assemble a great staff that can challenge for the SEC West very soon.  I think he will do great things here. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

3of5-2

I must admit, good first day. Wish we could have gotten him about 8 months ago.

Brer Hog

At a 100 votes, Bielema's approval rating is just over 96%. Not too shabby... I'll leave this up to see where it goes, but this is a good sampling of the overwhelming support this coach will enjoy going into next season. 

Woo Pig Sooie!!!  We've got a football coach and a solidified fan base. 

Ray Piggers

December 05, 2012, 09:41:24 pm #11 Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:43:09 pm by TaylorAlderson
There are 5 water heads on this board apparently

EDIT: Make that 9
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

pigbacon

I think this is exactly the type of hire we wanted and needed. This guy isn't scared of the challenge of the SEC and will work his tail off to get what he wants. I don't want to wish my life away, but I'm already ready for August again.  :razorback:

Quickdraw

I like his demeanor, very humble but very confident and has a sense of humor with a great vision you can believe in.

Pudgepork

my total experience of BB was press releases, news clips and such pertaining to Hogs vs Wisconsin in the bowl and then watching a few of their games and then the news
regarding Urban continueing to recruit some players committed to Wisky.
My conclusion from all of that was he was a total arrogant jerk.  Successful yes, and that
caused me to not like him more because he was a successful jerk, lol.

After watching that press conference,  I like him.   He's down to earth and pretty open.
and SUCCESSFUL!

TrashHog

I liked the hire yesterday and I really like the hire today after the presser. I was very pleased with his answers to the questions. He knows when he is being baited and has smart replys to tricky questions. The national press likes the hire.

Hog Fan 51

He has no earthly idea how to properly Call the Hogs (He should have practiced more) BP did a better job his first time and he has the personality of a bullfrog. However His wife does, my wife said you can tell she was a cheerleader at some point. At least he will be taking his wife for motorcycle rides instead of staffers. If you go by Vandy's coach Franklins philosophy he has a lot of confidence.
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

centarkswine

Quote from: TrashHog on December 05, 2012, 10:43:26 pm
I liked the hire yesterday and I really like the hire today after the presser. I was very pleased with his answers to the questions. He knows when he is being baited and has smart replys to tricky questions. The national press likes the hire.

My thoughts exactly.

JtBrash

I wasn't thrilled at first, but after seeing him at the presser, and watching a bunch of Wisconsin post game press conferences, I think this guy is the real deal. Lucky to have him!

HogCzar1

Outstanding job at the presser today. Bret handled himself well. I think many hog fans feel much more comfortable with him than before. I am anxious to see what kind of staff he can assemble. It looks like he is off to a great start.

Hogfaniam

Totally impressed.  He has a future on the speaking circuit and in the booth if he so chooses.  Hope this is the real him and not just a front.  Time will tell.  I see nothing negative about this hire.  Long did a good job.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Captain Hamerica

I wasn't very excited at first when I heard that CBB had been hired.  The 8 month search, with what seemed like every coach in America as a candidate, had me thinking like a lot of folks that we would be getting a bigger name coach.  However, after reading up on CBB and watching the press conference today, I'm all in.  Well done JL.

Ironhawg

I loved his performance in the press conference.  He seems like a no b.s. kind of guy.  He seems to be genuinely interested in the welfare of the players.  He said something about bringing in good players and four years later turning them into great players.  He also said something about making them good men, not just good players.  I liked that he said he believed in a balanced offense, but that he will adapt his schemes to fit the personnel on hand.  I loved what he said about bringing in top quality assistant coaches.  I know there are a bunch of folks on here who are, at least, underwhelmed with the hire.  To those people I say give the guy a chance.

MamaHogFan

cjb86

CJ

FaytownHog

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on December 05, 2012, 09:41:24 pm
There are 5 water heads on this board apparently

EDIT: Make that 9
When was the last time a presser won games? I thought he absolutely nailed it and did a great being relatable to our fan base. None of it means anything if he comes out and drops a deuce on game day. I think most people liked Petrino after a few years (and didn't want him fired) bc they knew he was successful in the SEC and could get us where we wanted to go.

I'm absolutely willing to give CBB the same time and support but I don't rate whether or not I like a coach by his press conferences. It's about the W's and L's in the end.

basscat3

Very pleased before and after presser!  Also very Happy with how JL handled everything. Now he needs to get us a real basketball coach.. 
Quote from: losthawg68 on February 19, 2010, 10:48:52 PM
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike
down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my frito pie. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you

redswarmrising

i'm very excited about the future of razorback football again! i think he's a great hire and we're gonna have a much improved offense and defense

plus his wife is hot!

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Ray Piggers

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 06, 2012, 01:38:13 am
When was the last time a presser won games? I thought he absolutely nailed it and did a great being relatable to our fan base. None of it means anything if he comes out and drops a deuce on game day. I think most people liked Petrino after a few years (and didn't want him fired) bc they knew he was successful in the SEC and could get us where we wanted to go.

I'm absolutely willing to give CBB the same time and support but I don't rate whether or not I like a coach by his press conferences. It's about the W's and L's in the end.

Make that 21

I just don't get how this hire wouldn't excite people. I don't. Look at the hires going on around us.. Look at the hires that have happened in the last couple of years. Please. Some people are never pleased apparently. Petrino was great, yeah. He also screwed us over, and left us in a horrible situation (timing), and if what some have said about Long offering a slap on the wrist pay cut are true, and he didn't take it. He's a POS.

Boarcephus

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 06, 2012, 01:38:13 am

I'd +1 you if I could.   PC's don't do a thing except let you meet the person.  He looks good, says all the right things, etc but Houston Nutt did the same thing.  He does seem like someone you'd love to have as a neighbor whereas Petrino was, I don't know, a bit too unfriendly.  Even though he looks and sounds like the perfect fit, IMHO, the jury is still out.

My only concern has been, and will continue to be until proven otherwise is, can he recruit the type of players he needs for us to be successful in the SEC?  We'll get our first glimpse of this in about 60 days.  Until them, let's kick back and see what happens.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 06, 2012, 06:15:16 am

I'd +1 you if I could.   PC's don't do a thing except let you meet the person.  He looks good, says all the right things, etc but Houston Nutt did the same thing.  He does seem like someone you'd love to have as a neighbor whereas Petrino was, I don't know, a bit too unfriendly.  Even though he looks and sounds like the perfect fit, IMHO, the jury is still out.

My only concern has been, and will continue to be until proven otherwise is, can he recruit the type of players he needs for us to be successful in the SEC?  We'll get our first glimpse of this in about 60 days.  Until them, let's kick back and see what happens.
I'm on the same page. I just won't anoint someone a GREAT hire because they nailed a presser. I still had to look up exactly who it was when I heard the name (and I watch a lot of college football). So far, so good. Won't matter if he's 6-6 in year two though.

FaytownHog

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on December 06, 2012, 05:35:44 am
Make that 21

I just don't get how this hire wouldn't excite people. I don't. Look at the hires going on around us.. Look at the hires that have happened in the last couple of years. Please. Some people are never pleased apparently. Petrino was great, yeah. He also screwed us over, and left us in a horrible situation (timing), and if what some have said about Long offering a slap on the wrist pay cut are true, and he didn't take it. He's a POS.
A. the hire wouldn't have to be made if long didn't fire Petrino. B. Petrino would still be here if Long didn't fire him. C. I agree if he was offered a slap on the wrist and refused then he got what he deserved but the way Jeffry through him under the bus for giving that girl 20k of his own personal money, I'm sure he would have let it be known he tried to just punish him but he said no thanks and left.

longyanh

I like CBB
1- He respects his wife.
2- He respects and willing to work with his staffs (including G.A)

These 2 qualities that BP wishes he could have.  I'm glad JL has proved lot of Hogville wrong. You can see the different from 2 days ago.

ckhawgu

FaytownHog

Quote from: longyanh on December 06, 2012, 06:21:04 am
I like CBB
1- He respects his wife.
2- He respects and willing to work with his staffs (including G.A)

These 2 qualities that BP wishes he could have.  I'm glad JL has proved lot of Hogville wrong. You can see the different from 2 days ago.
Once again, I'm glad he's those things, but I could care less if Petrino was bc he won. That's the bottom line in big boy football. The jury is out with CBB still. I hope he never loses a game, but I won't call him a great hire or homerun until we see what he can do at Arkansas in the SEC.

FaytownHog

longyanh

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 06, 2012, 06:23:58 am
Once again, I'm glad he's those things, but I could care less if Petrino was bc he won. That's the bottom line in big boy football. The jury is out with CBB still. I hope he never loses a game, but I won't call him a great hire or homerun until we see what he can do at Arkansas in the SEC.

If the win is the only thing matter, KY, Aub and Tenner would have hired BP already. Those 3 schools are the most "dirty" programs in SEC. It tells you something about BP. I bet you that JL told those ADs something that we don't know when it comes to job's reference.

FYI, JL told Idaho's AD that he wish he could name PP as Interism but can't because of his last name.

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Boarcephus

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 06, 2012, 06:18:12 am
I'm on the same page. I just won't anoint someone a GREAT hire because they nailed a presser. I still had to look up exactly who it was when I heard the name (and I watch a lot of college football). So far, so good. Won't matter if he's 6-6 in year two though.

I knew exactly who he was and I vividly remember his Wisconsin team beating a far superior athletically Houston Nutt team in the bowl game by out coaching them.  His average recruiting rank of 50th over the last 6 years at Wisconsin will get his butt beaten here.  I am hopeful with us being in the SEC, our facilities and his apparent charisma  will enable him to put us consistently in the top 25 in recruiting and if he can, then he should be great.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

FaytownHog

Quote from: longyanh on December 06, 2012, 06:32:11 am
If the win is the only thing matter, KY, Aub and Tenner would have hired BP already. Those 3 schools are the most "dirty" programs in SEC. It tells you something about BP. I bet you that JL told those ADs something that we don't know when it comes to job's reference.

FYI, JL told Idaho's AD that he wish he could name PP as Interism but can't because of his last name.
So you know Idaho's AD? Sweet!
And Jeff Long talks out of both sides of his mouth so I wouldn't believe everything he told me about someone he fired for something, technically Jeff did wrong (bc Jeff knew about what was going on). But that's over now anyway. Now we wait and see what CBB does.

longyanh

Quote from: Lanny on December 06, 2012, 06:33:55 am
Very Impressed

First, thank you and Douglas. We know you guys have been working hard to keep Hogville up. Impressed that Hogville didn't crash for last 2 days.  :razorback:

Second, I'm glad JL got you and Douglas back in his good side.   :)

BorderPatrol

longyanh

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 06, 2012, 06:38:42 am
So you know Idaho's AD? Sweet!
And Jeff Long talks out of both sides of his mouth so I wouldn't believe everything he told me about someone he fired for something, technically Jeff did wrong (bc Jeff knew about what was going on). But that's over now anyway. Now we wait and see what CBB does.

It's been reported on ESPN.
The fact that BP is still jobless. But it's OK, it's your opinion. All I know Razorback HC is BB.

To quote from CBB " do it the right way first time, so you don't have to come back and do it again".

hoginla

Think he will do well.  He's certainly in touch with his emotions.....mentioned "crying" on a few occasions.
September 8, 2023 19 years w/Hogville!

Hogustus Caesar

He is the real deal. Liked the hire when I was told he was hired, the presser just validated my thinking. No doubts he can get it done here.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

Music City Razorback

I'm trying to think who the 5% are that still aren't excited - unbelievable.  I guess you can't please everyone.
"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

hoglawyer

I have to admit I was sceptical after the announcement, but that is because we live in a world of stereotyping people before meeting them.  After the press conference, Coach Bielema blew me away.  Just compare his press conference to Auburn's.  No comparison.  Coach Bielema answered every question straight forward and honestly.  Just look at Auburn's new coach.  He said he was going to take his time on hiring assistants, yet he hired one less than 24 hrs later.  Auburn's new coach said a year ago he was excited to be home and that he was different than other coaches -- it wasn't about the money.  Auburn's new coach spoke for about 10 minutes without giving depth to who he was.  Coach Bielema provided us with depth to him as a person and a coach.  How refreshing!!!  Further, it was evident he wanted the job and sought us out.  Coach Bielema has experience as a player, assistant and head coach.  Nothing has been given to him.  In fact, he is not just concerned about himself. He left because he sees more opportunity for himself and his assistants.  Why wouldn't you want to come coach with him.  He didn't bleed us for more money because he wants to take care of his coaches.  He stressed the importance of those around him and the players.  I really liked his response to recruiting.  You know if he comes for an in-home visit he means business.  It's to close the deal.  Just look at him.  You would be scared to tell him no.  But its more than just appearance.  Look at his results.  I believe I read where every starting left tackle under Coach Bielema has been a first round draft pick.  We will have studs in the trenches and that is where Championships are won.  Flashy schemes are great, but look what happened to Oregon when they were manhandled in the trenches by Stanford.  Coach Bielema is not boring football just running all the time.  It is balanced.  We will score points; we will play defense, and more importantly we will have a true leader that we will all be proud of.  Home Run hire.  Go Hogs. 

Ray Piggers

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 06, 2012, 06:20:17 am
A. the hire wouldn't have to be made if long didn't fire Petrino. B. Petrino would still be here if Long didn't fire him. C. I agree if he was offered a slap on the wrist and refused then he got what he deserved but the way Jeffry through him under the bus for giving that girl 20k of his own personal money, I'm sure he would have let it be known he tried to just punish him but he said no thanks and left.

When have you ever heard of someone doing what Petrino did where they didn't get fired? Jeff Long was in an impossible situation IMO. I honestly don't think Long wanted to fire BP.