Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crockett - Yale offer

Started by Hey Super, March 24, 2015, 01:19:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Rocket23

Great post whoiskid.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

TNRazorbacker

If he has an option to go to Yale on a full ride its a no brainer.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on March 26, 2015, 07:04:49 am
This. You are what you make of yourself regardless of where you went to college. Top, hard-working, smart people open their own doors and that's not arguable.     

Pretty naive.

Full ride to Yale? Yeah you take that offer, I dont care how much you love the Hogs. if the kid s talented enough to play in the NFL, and that's what he wants to do , the NFL will find him at Yale.

Meanwhile, it's not what you know, its WHO you know, and there is no denying that more influential people attend Yale, than attend Arkansas.

Wildhog

Quote from: HappyHogFan on April 07, 2015, 10:31:43 am
Pretty naive.

Full ride to Yale? Yeah you take that offer, I dont care how much you love the Hogs. if the kid s talented enough to play in the NFL, and that's what he wants to do , the NFL will find him at Yale.

Meanwhile, it's not what you know, its WHO you know, and there is no denying that more influential people attend Yale, than attend Arkansas.

It's not a full ride, but I agree.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Pretty naive.

You can always go to Yale for graduate school, I'm sure offer, they don't give academic or athletic scholarships, will still be there..........

Inhogswetrust

Pretty naive.

No it is what you know and SOMETIMES who you know but not all the time. It kind of depends on WHAT your priorities, job desires and things you are looking for after graduating are..................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Arthur pigby sellers.

This is generally a moot point because SEC talent doesn't choose IVY league over major D1 schools.  Most of these kids want to get to the NFL, so they go to the league that will get them to the LEAGUE.  Everyone loves to say that the NFL will find you no matter where you are.  They forget the old adage that playing against better competition makes you better.  How much better did our O line get having to line up against Trey Flowers in practice?  Or lining up against future NFL D linemen in every game.  You don't get that in the IVY league.  You also don't get 50,000 sq foot personal gyms, expert dietitians, trainers who make 6 figures, Position coaches so skilled they make 1/2 a million dollars. 
Also at Yale you don't get to play in front of 100,000 lunatic fans most saturdays in the fall.  You won't have an entire state that knows your name. 

psooie

Bush was a better student than Sec of State John Kerry

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4684384

My own view is Princeton is the best ivy league school to attend hands down.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 27, 2015, 07:31:05 pm
Arkansas is a fine school, but...um...it's Yale. Drop a Yale on your resume and see what happens.

I think.... But not for sure...  But many, if not most, college athletes don't graduate from college??

Regardless, Yale has 6 months or so, of winter....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 27, 2015, 07:31:05 pm
Arkansas is a fine school, but...um...it's Yale. Drop a Yale on your resume and see what happens.

It don't mean squat to the NFL or ESPN... I'm just saying.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: whosiskid on March 28, 2015, 11:14:09 pm
Oh yeah, and the public lecturers were amazing. Eudora Welty reading from a short story one night, Jurgen Habermas giving a lecture another, and people like Ernst Gombrich and Quentin Skinner and Bernard Williams. I got to talk to Charles Taylor, the Canadian philosopher, for two hours once. I got to talk with Norman Malcolm, one of Wittgenstein's best known students, for a half hour about Wittgenstein's film going habits (disappointing, because I learned that Malcolm knew next to nothing about film and therefore had a bit of a tin ear for what was good and what was not, so the passages in his memoir about Wittgenstein were probably unreliable, where he implied that Wittgenstein was especially fond of Carmen Miranda, which was proven when Ray Monk published his biography of Wittgenstein, and we saw that Wittgenstein loved most of all classic comedies and musicals with Fred Astaire). You really do get a sense that the world is descending upon New Haven.

But there are some negatives. New Haven is an extremely dangerous place to be. Much of the heroin for New England is brought in there and there is a lot of addiction as a result, which in turn means that there are a lot of muggings. There is an enormous amount of hostility between "town and gown," the near opposite of Fayetteville, where the town depends on the university for its identity. Almost everyone has been mugged at least once. I had a very good friend who would have been car jacked/ kidnapped, except that the abductor couldn't drive a stick shift. I would have been mugged myself except I figured out what was happening just in time. I noticed that two guys were walking - one in front of me, one in back - along the same path that I was. When I turned, they turned, and they would look at one another from time to time. So I turned down this one street and was happy when I saw that a friend's German Shepherd (a dog that she had rescued from starvation) was, as she often was, inside the wrought iron gate, with her tennis ball in her mouth, which she would drop when people walked by, trying to entice them into a game of fetch. As I came to the fence I merely vaulted over it and started playing with the dog. The two guys froze for a second and then walked away, meeting up a block away, which confirmed to me that they had intended bad things for me.

One thing I'm dead certain happened was that I probably saw a lot of movies with David Duchovny. I used to study during the day, and then as a reward would either go to one of the many file societies on campus or to the Lincoln Theater, a dingy movie theater that showed double bills for 99 cents and changed their bill three times a week. I saw an absolutely absurd number of movies when I was at Yale and I've remained a hardcore movie buff ever since. Anyway, I read an interview with Duchovny in which he said that he did almost nothing when he was in the Comp Lit graduate program except see movies in the evening. Since we overlapped in our time at Yale, we had to have been at the same movies on numerous occasions. But I have no memory of actually having seen him. Still.

I met Eudora Welty in Columbus Mississippi several years ago and she quite liked my EX wife who graduated from the same public university she did.. She also lectured at Alabama, Ole Miss and MSU the same week

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: psooie on April 08, 2015, 09:57:23 pm
Bush was a better student than Sec of State John Kerry

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4684384

My own view is Princeton is the best ivy league school to attend hands down.

Did you attend? Serious question. I loved who's description just asking.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."