Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is HDN backing away from Lee's comments ?

Started by mikeirwin, March 12, 2007, 09:52:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lovethosehogs

hdn will not allow a passing game.  It is his way or the highway.   :puke:

mcb

DO
Quote from: lovethosehogs on March 13, 2007, 01:40:53 am

Do you as a fan want a balanced attack O or a pass or nothing O?

hawgette

March 13, 2007, 03:05:36 am #202 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 03:08:49 am by hawgette
Ok Spring practice is tomorrow.  Let this go.  Its getting old and repetitive.  I agree Nutt needs to go but he is here to stay through this season.  Where I disagree with you guys is how you guys annointed Mustain the "chosen" one.  He is not the reason we won 10 games yet that is all you talk about.    I think a guy named DMAC, Jones, an OLine the rest of the SEC would kill for etc did the major work.  You know Dick and Mitch have played the same number of games (plus one either way).  So no one has/had played a full season.  I just dont get it.  Nutt was wrong for some things but good gracious Mitch didn't do anything to make the season better either.  Both are true freshmn in a sense.  One is here one left but you know there are 85 other players on the team?

All I am saying get over this.  You are bashing the national media about the basketball team.  YOU ARE ALL DOING THE SAME THING TO OUR FOOTBALL TEAM!?!?!?   People left...time to get behind the ones that stayed.

owl

Quote from: lovethosehogs on March 13, 2007, 01:40:53 am

Remember, he hit the highway to OSU. I wish he would start that car again.
OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

Zeno

you'd think he'd quit bragging so much and do his day job.

HogHeathen

March 13, 2007, 08:03:33 am #205 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 08:24:59 am by HogHeathen
Quote from: mcb on March 12, 2007, 11:49:43 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 12, 2007, 10:58:40 pm
Quote from: mcb on March 12, 2007, 10:34:34 pm
Mike. so what your saying is that after we went 80 yards and a TD with USC best players on the field(?) that HN said no we are not going to run the ON-huddle because we could win games with it and maybe a NC. That all HN wants to do is win just enuff games to keep his job every year and never wants to be able to say he has won a NC. If this is not what you are say it is what it implies :razorback:
By his own admission JFB concluded that it would not work. I'm told that he torpedoed it and Nutt certainly didn't argue with him about it. So they never ran it again.

Mike with all respect did you hear Frank tell HN not to run the HUNU again.

Mike is always told....he has inside sources, or I know someone to be close to the situation...I wonder if inside sources could ever be wrong???  Have you ever played the secret game?  You know, where a bunch of people set in a circle and one person starts a rumor by whispering it in a person's ear and then that person whispers it another's ear and so forth and so on....you ever notice it never comes out the same in the end....Well that's what I consider most of this crap, a breakdown in communication.....

hydrophonic

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 13, 2007, 12:21:31 am
Quote from: Sao Ming on March 13, 2007, 12:11:24 am
Are we absolutely sure the only drive under HUNH was the 80 yarder v USC?  Are we positive on that?
That's what Gus said in the CBS Sportsline blog. If you find evidence to the contrary point it out.
The HUNU is not hard to spot.

Sort of two things going on here.  I think what GM is quoted as saying in the Sportsline blog is that the drive against USC was the closest thing we saw to HIS OFFENSE, meaning HUNH + the spread.

I'm pretty sure we saw a HUNH drive against Utah State, but not while running the spread.  I think there was another HUNH drive in the USC game while RoJo was still at QB.

I've killed a brain cell or two since then, so I might be mistaken.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

Pig_Lebowski

I think a guy named DMAC, Jones, an OLine the rest of the SEC would kill for etc did the major work.

What number was he?  Did his name fit on his jersey?

HogHeathen

Quote from: hydrophonic on March 13, 2007, 08:12:11 am
Are we absolutely sure the only drive under HUNH was the 80 yarder v USC?  Are we positive on that?
That's what Gus said in the CBS Sportsline blog. If you find evidence to the contrary point it out.

Sort of two things going on here.  I think what GM is quoted as saying in the Sportsline blog is that the drive against USC was the closest thing we saw to HIS OFFENSE, meaning HUNH + the spread.

I'm pretty sure we saw a HUNH drive against Utah State, but not while running the spread.  I think there was another HUNH drive in the USC game while RoJo was still at QB.

I've killed a brain cell or two since then, so I might be mistaken.

Ahhhh....refreshing perspective on things....how logical of you   +1

Pig_Lebowski

I cant wait to see this guy, DMAC,Jones,anOlinetherestoftheSECwouldkillforetc
Line up this fall.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: HogHeathen on March 13, 2007, 08:03:33 am
Mike. so what your saying is that after we went 80 yards and a TD with USC best players on the field(?) that HN said no we are not going to run the ON-huddle because we could win games with it and maybe a NC. That all HN wants to do is win just enuff games to keep his job every year and never wants to be able to say he has won a NC. If this is not what you are say it is what it implies :razorback:
By his own admission JFB concluded that it would not work. I'm told that he torpedoed it and Nutt certainly didn't argue with him about it. So they never ran it again.

Mike is always told....he has inside sources, or I know someone to be close to the situation...I wonder if inside sources could ever be wrong???  Have you ever played the secret game?  You know, where a bunch of people set in a circle and one person starts a rumor by whispering it in a person's ear and then that person whispers it another's ear and so forth and so on....you ever notice it never comes out the same in the end....Well that's what I consider most of this crap, a breakdown in communication.....

What would your explanation be?  How do you explain our horrible passing game in Nutt's tenure? Why also do you think that when Nutt let Lee go 4 years ago, then tell Landon Leach that he was now going to improve the passing game with Lee's departure?   

I look forward to your answers, and will keep a solid open mind when reading them.

HogHeathen

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on March 13, 2007, 09:18:14 am

What would your explanation be?  How do you explain our horrible passing game in Nutt's tenure? Why also do you think that when Nutt let Lee go 4 years ago, then tell Landon Leach that he was now going to improve the passing game with Lee's departure?  

I look forward to your answers, and will keep a solid open mind when reading them.

Tell me the last QB that we had that could throw the ball?   Don't give the transfer crap with Tarvaris, Cherry, Brashears, because they all had a chance to win the job but didn't get it done.

Rojo? nope

Casey? sometimes, but still a little green

Mustain?  His QB rating was less than Dick's against lesser competition.  I'm not bashing the kid, who knows he MAY have developed, but he chose to go to a different school so I choose to forget about him and move forward...

So, I respond by saying that noone has come to the forefront as a passer while at Arkansas the last 6 seasons.

All I'm saying is that people need to look at the whole picture before they complain and gripe...look at it from both sides...

I still maintain that we won 10 this year when most on this board predicted 6-8 wins....

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: HogHeathen on March 13, 2007, 09:30:00 am

Tell me the last QB that we had that could throw the ball?   Don't give the transfer crap with Tarvaris, Cherry, Brashears, because they all had a chance to win the job but didn't get it done.

Rojo? nope

Mustain?  His QB rating was less than Dick's against lesser competition.  I'm not bashing the kid, who knows he MAY have developed, but he chose to go to a different school so I choose to forget about him and move forward...

So, I respond by saying that noone has come to the forefront as a passer while at Arkansas the last 6 seasons.

All I'm saying is that people need to look at the whole picture before they complain and gripe...look at it from both sides...

I still maintain that we won 10 this year when most on this board predicted 6-8 wins....

Then according to your explanation, Nutt has either failed to recruit a quality QB, or failed to develop the QB's that he signed, or maybe it is that his system is so elementary and without focus that he is unable to land a quality QB.  Would any of the above be a possible explanation?

HogHeathen

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on March 13, 2007, 09:36:40 am

Tell me the last QB that we had that could throw the ball?   Don't give the transfer crap with Tarvaris, Cherry, Brashears, because they all had a chance to win the job but didn't get it done.

Rojo? nope

Then according to your explanation, Nutt has either failed to recruit a quality QB, or failed to develop the QB's that he signed, or maybe it is that his system is so elementary and without focus that he is unable to land a quality QB.  Would any of the above be a possible explanation?
\
That's exactly what I thought you'd say...Again, think outside the box for a minute....

code red

Here we go again!!!!!!!!  Here's what is about to happen.
1. Houston babies the boys and gets his favorites.
2. Coaches twidle their thumbs as HDN plot players aginst fans and media.
3. Install smoke screen just in case.
4. We go 7-5 with losses to auburn, kentucky and get smoked in "rockytop".
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: HogHeathen on March 13, 2007, 09:47:23 am

Rojo? nope

\
That's exactly what I thought you'd say...Again, think outside the box for a minute....

I am, and I am honestly discussing this with an open mind.  I would have to ask, what it is you imply when you say "think outside the box".  What is it I am missing?  I will say also, that thinking outside the box is not limited to those that disagree with with someone's stance on something.

razornole

think outside the box = agree with me or you are still wrong :OP
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

TheHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 12, 2007, 11:35:46 pm
Quote from: mcb on March 12, 2007, 11:34:22 pm
The Hogville talking heads have spoken. or is this ESPN!

This is The Truth website.  YOU and Dale's worst nightmare.
HA! The best part is that he really believes this. :)

SpareRib

Quote from: TheHogFan on March 13, 2007, 09:56:18 am
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 12, 2007, 11:35:46 pm
Quote from: mcb on March 12, 2007, 11:34:22 pm
The Hogville talking heads have spoken. or is this ESPN!

This is The Truth website.  YOU and Dale's worst nightmare.
HA! The best part is that he really believes this. :)

So do I. Call me naive.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

moehog

Mike, did you ask Coach Nutt why after 9 years are we still lacking a passing game and have no depth at that position?
"There is no hope for the satisfied man."

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: mcb on March 13, 2007, 12:58:27 am

Wasn't the wildcat part of the HUNU, we just huddled. Gus has stated that you can run any O out of the HUNU you just don't huddle. And if i remember there where times we ran the wildcat with out a huddle. Or is it only called the HUNU when MM was at QB? I know that Gus did not throw the ball on every play at SDHS. And so far anytime I point that fact out I get band from the thread. The dislike for HN has got to the point (on this blog anyway ) that no matter what HN says it is not true and what everyone alse say is taken as the truth.
Gus's philosophy includes the spread along with the HUNH. When did we ever spread the field after the USC game? Not even the Wildcat was a spread formation; it was an single wing option-style.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on March 13, 2007, 09:49:27 am

Rojo? nope

\

I am, and I am honestly discussing this with an open mind.  I would have to ask, what it is you imply when you say "think outside the box".  What is it I am missing?  I will say also, that thinking outside the box is not limited to those that disagree with with someone's stance on something.

I guess asking him to think out of the box, literally threw him for a tailspin.  This what gets me with those that lash out at posters that question Nutt's history and decisions.  They get in a debate, with some valid points, but when push comes to shove, they lose internet connection.

BigDeal

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on March 13, 2007, 11:16:31 am

I guess asking him to think out of the box, literally threw him for a tailspin.  This what gets me with those that lash out at posters that question Nutt's history and decisions.  They get in a debate, with some valid points, but when push comes to shove, they lose internet connection.

I hear the Internet connection in Central & South Arkansas  comes and goes sometimes.

HogHeathen

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on March 13, 2007, 11:16:31 am
Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on March 13, 2007, 09:49:27 am

Rojo? nope

\

nope...got busy at the office, now having some lunch...ill get back to ya

bville_hog

We sure didn't run it at the end of any half or any game, where you would think would be the most obvious place to run it if Gus were allowed!

Mr. Hog

QUOTE:Mike is always told....he has inside sources, or I know someone to be close to the situation...I wonder if inside sources could ever be wrong???  Have you ever played the secret game?  You know, where a bunch of people set in a circle and one person starts a rumor by whispering it in a person's ear and then that person whispers it another's ear and so forth and so on....you ever notice it never comes out the same in the end....Well that's what I consider most of this crap, a breakdown in communication.....

I don't think many people are to high on your opinions including me !
Go Hogs Go!

ShellHog

Did the Hogs run the HUNH on MM's second drive of the USC game....where he threw the INT out in the flats?   Was the INT the first play of that drive, I really can't remember.   It would only make sense that they came out with the HUNH again after the TD...   

mcb

IF FB has been telling HN what Formations to run the last 9 years and FB won't be there to help save his job anymore maybe just maybe this well be a break out season for HN with his O. IF like Mike has gone on record as saying FB telling HN what O not to run he must have been telling him what O to run. We have been seeing FB playbook for the last 49 years. This season we will see HN playbook for the first time in 9 years. YES SIR BOSS. We are going to turn Nutt loose. GO HOGs GO.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :)

HogHeathen

Quote from: Mr. Hog on March 13, 2007, 12:34:46 pm
QUOTE:Mike is always told....he has inside sources, or I know someone to be close to the situation...I wonder if inside sources could ever be wrong???  Have you ever played the secret game?  You know, where a bunch of people set in a circle and one person starts a rumor by whispering it in a person's ear and then that person whispers it another's ear and so forth and so on....you ever notice it never comes out the same in the end....Well that's what I consider most of this crap, a breakdown in communication.....

I don't think many people are to high on your opinions including me !

You think I care?

Sao Ming

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on March 13, 2007, 10:59:16 am

Wasn't the wildcat part of the HUNU, we just huddled. Gus has stated that you can run any O out of the HUNU you just don't huddle. And if i remember there where times we ran the wildcat with out a huddle. Or is it only called the HUNU when MM was at QB? I know that Gus did not throw the ball on every play at SDHS. And so far anytime I point that fact out I get band from the thread. The dislike for HN has got to the point (on this blog anyway ) that no matter what HN says it is not true and what everyone alse say is taken as the truth.
Gus's philosophy includes the spread along with the HUNH. When did we ever spread the field after the USC game? Not even the Wildcat was a spread formation; it was an single wing option-style.

That is not altogether true.  Gus quotes that it's a philosophy that can be run out of the wishbone or Wing-T.  Spread has nothing to do with it.

unclebuck

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 12, 2007, 09:52:03 am
I got taken to task by some of you for reporting what David Lee said in his "media opportunity" a couple of weeks ago.
Lee was unusually candid is his assessment of the Hogs passing game. Basically he said it didn't work and he was gonna fix it.
Perhaps surprised by the bold nature of his comments the media asked some very specific questions so there would be no confusion as to what he was saying.
He was asked about a learning curve with the pro style offense he will attempt to install. Might it take the better part of two seasons to phase this in ?
Lee was emphatic. He said they didn't have two years to do this, it has to be done now. He also said that from day one he will line the offense up and tell Reggie Herring to "bring it" meaning full scale blitzing.
All of that sounded real good.
If you are interested in this you need to read Nate Allen's spring ball preview piece in today's NWA Times.
HDN appears to contradict what Lee said.
Nutt says that with the limited amount of teaching time the NCAA allows they have to be very careful not to put too much on the offense too soon especially since they lost three seniors on the offensive line.
Obviously I'm not a coach but I've always wondered about the need to be careful in the spring. What is there to be careful about ? You are not playing an opponent. If the players get hit with more than they can absorb they have the summer and preseason practices to pick it up.
Of course if, as a coach, you are worried about what Lee's pro style passing game might look like to the fans if it gets shut down in the spring then yeah, I guess you could do too much too soon.
Anyway it starts tomorrow and we will see if they go all out with this Dallas Cowboys offense Lee is talking about.

Refuse to read this entire thread, so this may be a repeat (probably is) but this is classic political doublespeak. If it is successful, HDN can say we told you so. If not and it's killed, HE can say I told you so. In other words agree with all sides. Please vote for me.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you -- Woody Hayes

hawgtime

I am going to expect them to loose so that if they win, I will be happy.

Nutt can't handle this so I say "Fire NUTT!"

GabeMartini

Quote from: laark on March 12, 2007, 10:15:19 am
I guess I missed something along the way.  Reading the board for the last few weeks, I thought it would be best for Coach Nutt to retain control of the offense, David Lee to fail, and the team to have a losing season. All to assure that Coach Nutt is gone.  

Anyone hoping for the Hogs to *ever* have a losing season needs to be punched in the face.

mcb

March 13, 2007, 01:56:46 pm #233 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 02:12:10 pm by mcb
http"Here, take this," Malzahn said. "This pretty much has everything in it."

It is a 33-minute coaching instructional tape from 2004 featuring Malzahn's high school teams.
"It goes back to philosophy; what's your philosophy?" Malzahn said. "A spread, no-huddle is a philosophy. It doesn't make any difference what offense you run. You could run the wishbone, you could run the Wing T."
Gus Malzahn's offense is like a full-time two-minute drill. (AP)
://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10043201

To me it looks like he is saying you can run what ever formation you want out of the HUNU. Just don't huddle.  we ran the wildcat with a no huddle most of the time to keep the D off key.

disGUSted

Quote from: laark on March 12, 2007, 10:39:40 am
Quote from: hogsrmyfav36 on March 12, 2007, 10:31:57 am
I think anyone who thinks we're up for a big year on offense just because we have McFadden and Jones is in for a surprise.  As great as they are, we have big holes to fill on the offensive line and opposing teams will be ready for the "wildcat" formation.

Nutt is just too conservative to go with a pro-style passing offense.

I don't say this to start an arguement.  Just stating an opinion.  Considering a pro-style offense is not necessarily no huddle, passing every down, throwing 50+ yard routes every play, etc. etc.  I believe you will be proved wrong.  If not, Coach Nutt will be gone and the "majority" of the fan base will be happy.  If you are proved wrong, Coach Nutt will be here another season after 2007-08 and the "majority" of the fan base will find another reason to bash.  
Then we are one year away from a new football coach and likely two years in basketball.
Sure hope basaball can carry us!

Lady Hawg Buff

Quote from: PigPusher on March 12, 2007, 10:00:17 am
Nutt hired an OC because it became prudent to do so. Just like with Coach Malzahn he will soon be calling the plays while pretending that Coach Lee is in control.  Sad thing.

Way + 1, this summarizes this whole same ole, same ole situation.  What $uck$ is D'Mac, Monk, I'm not listing all the players that have put their future in the (to them) trusting hands of HDN.  And now David Lee will be the scapegoat for HDN, if need be...I hope I am wrong and we are the Champions...but there's so much going on behind closed doors...I truly hurt for these players.  They have more class and are far much better players than HDN in his college career...THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO BE CAUGHT UP IN THIS.  GO HOGSSSSSSSSSSSS  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Lady Hawg Buff

I got taken to task by some of you for reporting what David Lee said in his "media opportunity" a couple of weeks ago.
Lee was unusually candid is his assessment of the Hogs passing game. Basically he said it didn't work and he was gonna fix it.
Perhaps surprised by the bold nature of his comments the media asked some very specific questions so there would be no confusion as to what he was saying.
He was asked about a learning curve with the pro style offense he will attempt to install. Might it take the better part of two seasons to phase this in ?
Lee was emphatic. He said they didn't have two years to do this, it has to be done now. He also said that from day one he will line the offense up and tell Reggie Herring to "bring it" meaning full scale blitzing.
If you are interested in this you need to read Nate Allen's spring ball preview piece in today's NWA Times.
Nutt says that with the limited amount of teaching time the NCAA allows they have to be very careful not to put too much on the offense too soon especially since they lost three seniors on the offensive line.
Obviously I'm not a coach but I've always wondered about the need to be careful in the spring. What is there to be careful about ? You are not playing an opponent. If the players get hit with more than they can absorb they have the summer and preseason practices to pick it up.
Of course if, as a coach, you are worried about what Lee's pro style passing game might look like to the fans if it gets shut down in the spring then yeah, I guess you could do too much too soon.
Anyway it starts tomorrow and we will see if they go all out with this Dallas Cowboys offense Lee is talking about.

I don't know, but it sounds like the making of some really intense, stressful, ego-fighting coach team meetings to work out the upcoming games.  I'm seeing some of that already....

Hawgman2000

Well today came and they worked against the blitz first thing so now we know Nutt is in control.
He told Lee to get it done so Lee is getting it done by practicing how it takes to get the passing game as it should be.
Thanks goodness it is a real offense and not some gimmick stuff.
Cut the crap kids and Mike.
Go Hogs!!!!!!!!!!!!

PulledPork

Quote from: GabeMartini on March 13, 2007, 01:52:48 pm
Quote from: laark on March 12, 2007, 10:15:19 am
I guess I missed something along the way.  Reading the board for the last few weeks, I thought it would be best for Coach Nutt to retain control of the offense, David Lee to fail, and the team to have a losing season. All to assure that Coach Nutt is gone. 

Anyone hoping for the Hogs to *ever* have a losing season needs to be punched in the face.
well then, let me be first in line, you gonna do the punching?

Pulled out....

hillhog

Will anyone get to see the spring practice or will it be closed and we be spoon fed what HDN wants us to hear?

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: Sao Ming on March 13, 2007, 01:12:00 pm

That is not altogether true.  Gus quotes that it's a philosophy that can be run out of the wishbone or Wing-T.  Spread has nothing to do with it.
Just watch Tulsa this season; Gus believes in the spread as much as the HUNH. It has and will work, too.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

HogHeathen

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on March 14, 2007, 12:16:13 am
Quote from: Sao Ming on March 13, 2007, 01:12:00 pm

Just watch Tulsa this season; Gus believes in the spread as much as the HUNH. It has and will work, too.

I'm not a Tulsa fan....or a gushugger

arsuperhog

The difference between D Lee and Gus is that Nutt seems to actually like D Lee.  Therefore, IMHO D Lee will be able to implement the things he wants to implement and run the offense his way without having Nutt butt in and try to take it over. 

Lady Hawg Buff

Quote from: arsuperhog on March 14, 2007, 05:03:44 pm
The difference between D Lee and Gus is that Nutt seems to actually like D Lee.  Therefore, IMHO D Lee will be able to implement the things he wants to implement and run the offense his way without having Nutt butt in and try to take it over. 

Good point.  As long as it works.  That was the plan with Gus, but, that didn't work.  How much control do you think JFB has over this situation?  Kind of curious.  If David Lee can improve our quarterbacks and bring an exciting and versatile offense, I'm all for him, just wonder about the U of A red tape one must go through to really be able to do that.  Good Luck D Lee, just because I don't like HDN doesn't mean I won't be cheering you and the team.  GO HOGS!!!!!!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Lady Hawg Buff

One more thing...I hope the reason HDN likes David Lee is NOT that he will be a 'yes' man to whomever the power(s) are.  Who really is the Captain of this ship??!!   HDN or JFB??? 

HogBrad

HDN has no sense of whether he's coming or going. HDN has had success running the football. All the pundits can argue over the fact that we've lead the SEC in rushing for the last 4 or 5 or hell 6 years. That still doesn't produce for me any rings or titles. Hell he went 7 -1 this year in the WEST and lost in CHAMP game. And what did that get him. More of the same ole same. He did what he does best RAN out GUS. RAN out Mitch and RAN out Damion. Not to mention that he RAN out some great recruits. So here's to you HDN and your running game. Please do the world a favor and in the immortal words of your family friend Prewit. DID I MENTION I WANT YOU TO TRANSFER.

Wash Hogwallop

"The man's like a cockroach.  He may not do anything good, but he can survive ANYTHING."

That is the most perfect iconic reference I have ever read on this, or any other board!

BRILLIANT!

bphi11ips

Quote from: laark on March 12, 2007, 10:39:40 am
I don't say this to start an arguement.  Just stating an opinion.  Considering a pro-style offense is not necessarily no huddle, passing every down, throwing 50+ yard routes every play, etc. etc.  I believe you will be proved wrong.  If not, Coach Nutt will be gone and the "majority" of the fan base will be happy.  If you are proved wrong, Coach Nutt will be here another season after 2007-08 and the "majority" of the fan base will find another reason to bash.  

We don't "find reasons to bash".  We'd much rather applaud.  However, you are reading a Board populated by hundreds, perhaps thousands, of very experienced Razorback fans with an in-depth understanding of college football, particularly as it relates to Arkansas and the SEC.  We also understand "pro-style" offenses.  Most of us couldn't care less whether we pass more or throw more.  We don't care whether we complete post patterns, dig routes, slants or screens.  We would like to see multiple receiver sets where the quarterback is given the opportunity to check off and throw to secondary receivers.  We prefer winning and winning with class, and we believe to be competitive at the highest level the Razorbacks need to average at least 200 yards through the air each game. 

Having said this, most of us also understand that the best opportunity next year on offense will be to run formations and plays that create space in the defense and that our best chance to do that is to have DMac, Felix and Peyton on the filed at the same time.  (If the "pro-style" offense means the I or a single back set then we're dead.) We will be run first as we ALWAYS should be.  But with a passing threat we will be able to run the misdirection and quick-openers even more effectively than we did last year. That was the game plan in 2006 until the passing threat disappeared.  I'll leave it to the Pro-Nutt experts to fugure out when that happened.  Gus Malzahn never promised us a pass happy offense.  He used the weapons he had in an ingenious way to create space in the defense.  That is why he was Rivals.com's OC of the year.

I don't understand why people like laark don't get it.  Comments like his exaggerated sarcasm are rediculous.  The bottom-line is this:  If Houston Nutt suddenly develops and implements an offensive philosophy that is not one-dimensional, if he finally figures out that special teams matter, that 3 points add up, that field position is important, stops making bonehead momentum killing game-time decisions, exhibits a little class on the sidelines, and takes the blame for a few things that go wrong - then - and only then - will the sophisticated, long-time fans of the Razorbacks and college football accept him.  Oh yeah - and keeps at least a majority of the top prospects in-state.  Guess what?  If all that happens - if Houston changes that much - we'll support him even when he doesn't win.

However, I'm not optimistic.  As one very wise man once told me "People change, but not much."
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Hawgman2000 on March 13, 2007, 09:50:38 pm
Well today came and they worked against the blitz first thing so now we know Nutt is in control.
He told Lee to get it done so Lee is getting it done by practicing how it takes to get the passing game as it should be.
Thanks goodness it is a real offense and not some gimmick stuff.
Cut the crap kids and Mike.
Go Hogs!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Thanks goodness?"

Are you serious?  No wonder HDN is still here..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 14, 2007, 08:24:06 pmIf the "pro-style" offense means the I or a single back set then we're dead

Wait...If I were the coach, and as smart as I think I am, the slot I would be our bread and butter.  You can run a damn good offense out of this...you disagree?