Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

hearing coaches being let go today

Started by Hogustus Caesar, November 24, 2012, 09:14:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogustus Caesar

"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

SquidBilly

Good!  Gives them time to get their next gig lined up and allows the new HC a clean slate. 

cmiller01

And here come the pleas to keep Horton & Allen...

personally, I want a clean slate.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: cmiller01 on November 24, 2012, 09:27:43 am

Why not Horton?  I have no opinion either way, I'm just wondering.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

stan the man

You can bet Allen will be retained unless he no longer wants to coach

LuckyGiraffe

Letting all of the coaches doesn't really make sense unless you already know who your coach and all of their assistants will be.  I can't remember any situations where the AD has let everyone go.  If that happens, I have to believe that the new HC has had input on that decision.

Lake City Hog

If this happens Long had better announce a new staff by tomorrow, personally I'm calling BS on this. Long knows that without a staff recruiting would be lost. Other teams would start picking off recruits in a matter of days.

Some of you people are really too stupid to believe!

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: LuckyGiraffe on November 24, 2012, 09:33:50 am
Letting all of the coaches doesn't really make sense unless you already know who your coach and all of their assistants will be.  I can't remember any situations where the AD has let everyone go.  If that happens, I have to believe that the new HC has had input on that decision.

I agree. While this is only a rumor, it makes me think there might be something to a Saturday press conference. Also makes me think the new coach is an NFL guy. Just speculation on my part. Looking to see if there is any concrete story to this.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

Calling All Hogs

I would think we would keep some assistants just to maintain contact with recruits until the new staff is in place.

Faithful Hog

If ONLY John L. is let go today, then I'm not optimistic a new coach is a done deal.  If they let go several of the coaches, wouldn't that mean the new Coach has already been approving the new staff?

Multiple terminations would lead me to believe Jeff DOES have his man, as certain posters have claimed, and not just a options 1, 2, and 3.  Frankly, I don't remember how it usually goes with the assistants.  Do they normally weed through them before or after the new coach is hired?

From the HR perspective, I would think the new coach would prefer that certain changes were handled before he stepped foot on campus.

WilsonHog

Quote from: lchog on November 24, 2012, 09:39:37 am
If this happens Long had better announce a new staff by tomorrow, personally I'm calling BS on this. Long knows that without a staff recruiting would be lost. Other teams would start picking off recruits in a matter of days.

Some of you people are really too stupid to believe!

It's happening right now. I suspect Tim Horton and Bobby Allen will stay on to bridge recruiting until the new coach is hired, and then there will be a place for them either on staff or in administration.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 24, 2012, 09:30:40 am
Why not Horton?  I have no opinion either way, I'm just wondering.

The GOBN is alive and well if Harold's little boy is kept.

Faithful Hog

This^

DSmithNPS

xterrahogfan

With this staffs inability to evaluate talent, it makes you wonder how good his sons really are anyway. I say put an end to the good old boy system and any connection to the old coaches. Let em all go and start fresh.

LuckyGiraffe

RedRock

Keeping assistants should be the new head coach's decision.  It does, however, make sense to retain Horton because of the recruiting relationships.

MDH

Quote from: RedRock on November 24, 2012, 09:54:08 am
Keeping assistants should be the new head coach's decision.  It does, however, make sense to retain Horton because of the recruiting relationships.

^ this.  Horton will be retained.  I'd put money on it.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

redandgray

I don't see that happening. Unless he has a coach and they already know who they want to retain (if anyone)...otherwise, you won't get rid of anyone until the new coach is officially hired. JLS contract goes to February I think..he can be reassigned though until then...which I fully expect.

So ready to hear something though!!!

Hawk

Somebody (ies) have to be in place to stay in contact with recruits and maintain the current players until the new staff is in place. The new coach will have the perogative of bringing in his staff, and/or keeping any of the old.

OTTER

Quote from: MDH on November 24, 2012, 09:56:04 am
^ this.  Horton will be retained.  I'd put money on it.
He held things together before, and it would be an asset for us if he stayed.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Break & Run

LMAO.  Come on, y'all.  Seriously.

Horton may be a product of the GOBN but seriously, the guy has produced several good running backs.  To say he's not a good coach is crazy.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

TMc

Quote from: stan the man on November 24, 2012, 09:32:41 am

I have heard he's heading to adminstration.., which is a good place for him.

tbhogfan

Usually the incoming HC gets the choice of which staff members are retained.   
Go Hogs!

MDH

I quote:

"Smith was hired to a 10-month contract last April and his employment agreement runs through Feb. 23, 2013. Smith will remain in the department as a consultant through the completion of his 10-month contract. Smith will be reassigned to assist with the transition to the new coaching staff once a new head coach is named. All assistant coaches have the option to remain a part of the football staff pending the hiring of a new head coach."
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

hoglady

Quote from: The Mafia on November 24, 2012, 10:03:58 am
LMAO.  Come on, y'all.  Seriously.

Horton may be a product of the GOBN but seriously, the guy has produced several good running backs.  To say he's not a good coach is crazy.

No kidding. We have consistently had good running backs.
It's not Horton's fault when the OC doesn't use them effectively.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Jackson_64

Quote from: FayettenamSam on November 24, 2012, 09:14:53 am
anybody know anything more?

Sam, you've got some good information.  I think you were the first to break this.  Let us know if you hear anything else.  +1, when I can!
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

Tim Harris

They all have the option to stay part of the program until the new coach is hired. He will then choose who stays.

futurehogdad

Quote from: cmiller01 on November 24, 2012, 09:27:43 am

Allen will remain with the Athletic Program.  Long will ask the new coach if he wants Bobby on his staff.  If the answer is no, he will be moved to an administrative position.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Styflin

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 24, 2012, 09:45:52 am
It's happening right now. I suspect Tim Horton and Bobby Allen will stay on to bridge recruiting until the new coach is hired, and then there will be a place for them either on staff or in administration.

haha.  Guess some are so stupid?

rude1

Really? Hasn't he been our recruiting coordinator? Have you seen our lack of recruiting? If anything there is a definite need for change at that spot for sure.

idochog

Allen can stay. Horton needs to go IMO
I love Jesus!

Break & Run

Quote from: idochog on November 24, 2012, 11:22:43 am
Allen can stay. Horton needs to go IMO

Why does Horton need to go?  Because his dad was a big part of the GOBN?  That's not fair to a man who held the recruiting class together for Petrino in his first year and he's been recruiting his butt off this last year, too.  Not to mention, he's a pretty dang good RB coach.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Wooderson

Quote from: The Mafia on November 24, 2012, 11:24:20 am
Why does Horton need to go?  Because his dad was a big part of the GOBN?  That's not fair to a man who held the recruiting class together for Petrino in his first year and he's been recruiting his butt off this last year, too.  Not to mention, he's a pretty dang good RB coach.

Really?  How many fumbles did our RB's have this year?  I personally don't know if he should be retained or not, but our rb's were horrible at controlling the ball this year.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

nextlevel

Especially with Horton being the RB coach and the Tenpenny being a runningback and the state's best recruit and well on his way to anywhere but Arkansas.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Hydroguy87

Quote from: Wooderson on November 24, 2012, 11:33:57 am
Really?  How many fumbles did our RB's have this year?  I personally don't know if he should be retained or not, but our rb's were horrible at controlling the ball this year.

To say this would be equal to saying that every INT Ryan Mallett and Tyler Wilson threw was because Bobby Petrino was a bad qb coach. Doesnt make sense. You can coach your butt off and teach how to hold onto the ball, but ultimately it is up the rb to hold onto the ball. All rb's are taught from a young age how to run with/hold onto the ball. Not the coaches fault.

Hydroguy87

Quote from: nextlevel on November 24, 2012, 11:37:24 am
Especially with Horton being the RB coach and the Tenpenny being a runningback and the state's best recruit and well on his way to anywhere but Arkansas.

Why must everyone ASSUME that because you are a very good recruiter that you MUST land EVERY single top prospect in your state. Some young kids just want to get away and see new places. Also, there is not legite reason to believe Tenpenny will not change his mind. I am sure he was told that he was wanted and that Alabama's class would fill quickly so he decided to go ahead and commit. Doesnt mean he is 100%, or that he wont change his mind. With Yeldon being a Soph next year and the nations #1 RB already committed to Bama, he would be smart to rethink his decision. I'm sure our new HC will work hard to convince him on this also.

nextlevel

Quote from: Hydroguy87 on November 24, 2012, 12:28:55 pm
Why must everyone ASSUME that because you are a very good recruiter that you MUST land EVERY single top prospect in your state. Some young kids just want to get away and see new places. Also, there is not legite reason to believe Tenpenny will not change his mind. I am sure he was told that he was wanted and that Alabama's class would fill quickly so he decided to go ahead and commit. Doesnt mean he is 100%, or that he wont change his mind. With Yeldon being a Soph next year and the nations #1 RB already committed to Bama, he would be smart to rethink his decision. I'm sure our new HC will work hard to convince him on this also.

A single top prospect from the state would be a start for Horton.

He worked hard to retain his job in 07, good for him, has he done that this year? Has anyone on the staff? Is a three day work week during the season working hard?
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell