Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Motley fool stock advisor

Started by flynhog, January 08, 2018, 04:38:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flynhog

Does any of our Hogvillians subscribe to Motley Fool's "Stock Advisor" premium service? 

Or any other service that picks stock?

Thanks in advance!!

Bill
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

HawgWild

I avoid MF myself. I lot of their touts are made by persons owning the stock they're promoting so watch out for that.

ricepig

All these services are like guys on CNBC or elsewhere. I listen or read their touting of a stock and say, "makes sense" to me. I could probably own shares in every company or ETF if I followed through on my "makes sense" thoughts after their pitch.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ricepig on January 08, 2018, 07:40:14 pm
All these services are like guys on CNBC or elsewhere. I listen or read their touting of a stock and say, "makes sense" to me. I could probably own shares in every company or ETF if I followed through on my "makes sense" thoughts after their pitch.

I am the same way with almost every investment I read about! They all seem to be good ideas.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: flynhog on January 08, 2018, 04:38:28 pm
Does any of our Hogvillians subscribe to Motley Fool's "Stock Advisor" premium service? 

Thanks in advance!!

Bill
Well obviously each to his own. However, I subscribe to the service; and yes, I realize the team there that recommends the stocks also own most of them. This can be looked at two ways: The first is they're merely "front-running the stocks" (ie touting the stocks to investors so they can merely drive up the stocks they already own) OR secondly they actually believe in the long term outlook for their recommendations and honestly plan to own their holdings for a number or years-Tom Gardner one of the owners of the service-states a minimum of five years. I also like the fact that the folks making the recommendations have actual "skin in the game". They're actually at financial risk along with everyone else. If they're recommendations don't work out they're also vulnerable to losing money. Personally I've found the service to be HIGHLY RELIABLE. I've followed their picks both on "paper" and with some of my own personal monies and while they're not perfect, and no one ever is, I have found their success ration to be north or 85%. And yes, most of their recommendations are targeted toward long term time frames. Short term trading for them would be extremely unusual.

Another service I've begun using over the past couple of years is one called Total Wealth Research (www.totalwealthresearch.com). It's run by a long time Wall Street veteran by the name of Keith Fitz-Gerald. Keith is very easy to follow and really does a great job of going through long term "unstoppable trends" such as AI, self-driving cars, robots, defense and aerospace-particularly drone technology-etc. He takes the approach that if you can identify future trends in society that people won't be able to do without and then invest in the best managed, most forward thinking companies/industries who address those trends that you should have great success in building wealth. Again, I've done both "paper" and actual monetary investing with his recommendations. His picks are outstanding. One thing that does separate him from the Motley Fool group is that some of his selections can be shorter term in timing.

In the end I think it ultimately comes down to who you've learned to trust and who you feel comfortable in work with. Obviously no one's going to correct 100% of the time. However, as with most things you typically "get what you pay for". Neither of these services is cheap (and much of that depends on the level of services you choose); however, I found that I easily pay for whatever I'm paying in the form of appreciation, growth, income and last, but not least, a far better understanding of the economy, market trends, current/future investment themes and economic/market forecasts. And since "knowledge is power" I feel I've gained a lot of that.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ricepig on January 08, 2018, 07:40:14 pm
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: flynhog on January 08, 2018, 04:38:28 pm

Thanks in advance!!

Bill
I like the MF advertising articles that are titled something like, "The stock that Buffett wishes he owned but can't buy", and of course it will not tell you what that stock is but will tell you that you can subscribe for $199/yr and get that stock name. Thus, my opinion of MF is that it is little better, if any, that a gambling tout service trying to get a annual fee out of you for their tout newsletter or website.

Best of luck.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 08, 2018, 11:16:40 pm
Well obviously each to his own. However, I subscribe to the service; and yes, I realize the team there that recommends the stocks also own most of them. This can be looked at two ways: The first is they're merely "front-running the stocks" (ie touting the stocks to investors so they can merely drive up the stocks they already own) OR secondly they actually believe in the long term outlook for their recommendations and honestly plan to own their holdings for a number or years-Tom Gardner one of the owners of the service-states a minimum of five years. I also like the fact that the folks making the recommendations have actual "skin in the game". They're actually at financial risk along with everyone else. If they're recommendations don't work out they're also vulnerable to losing money. Personally I've found the service to be HIGHLY RELIABLE. I've followed their picks both on "paper" and with some of my own personal monies and while they're not perfect, and no one ever is, I have found their success ration to be north or 85%. And yes, most of their recommendations are targeted toward long term time frames. Short term trading for them would be extremely unusual.

Another service I've begun using over the past couple of years is one called Total Wealth Research (www.totalwealthresearch.com). It's run by a long time Wall Street veteran by the name of Keith Fitz-Gerald. Keith is very easy to follow and really does a great job of going through long term "unstoppable trends" such as AI, self-driving cars, robots, defense and aerospace-particularly drone technology-etc. He takes the approach that if you can identify future trends in society that people won't be able to do without and then invest in the best managed, most forward thinking companies/industries who address those trends that you should have great success in building wealth. Again, I've done both "paper" and actual monetary investing with his recommendations. His picks are outstanding. One thing that does separate him from the Motley Fool group is that some of his selections can be shorter term in timing.

In the end I think it ultimately comes down to who you've learned to trust and who you feel comfortable in work with. Obviously no one's going to correct 100% of the time. However, as with most things you typically "get what you pay for". Neither of these services is cheap (and much of that depends on the level of services you choose); however, I found that I easily pay for whatever I'm paying in the form of appreciation, growth, income and last, but not least, a far better understanding of the economy, market trends, current/future investment themes and economic/market forecasts. And since "knowledge is power" I feel I've gained a lot of that.
LOL. Why am I not surprised?

But, kudos to you for admitting it here. Also, I will not follow anyone with last name of "Fitz-Gerald". Get rid of the hyphen.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Vantage 8 dude

January 11, 2018, 04:32:25 pm #8 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:15:50 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 11, 2018, 09:43:30 am
LOL. Why am I not surprised?

But, kudos to you for admitting it here. Also, I will not follow anyone with last name of "Fitz-Gerald". Get rid of the hyphen.
As I said, to each his own when it comes to any/all investment publications/newsletters. You might want to look up exactly what the expression "to each his own" literally means. And as for the spelling of the last name: It's apparently how he spells it; if you don't like it then I suggest you take it up with him 'cause quite frankly you're obviously confusing me with someone who actually gives a s%it what you think about it. I'm merely relaying the spelling of his name as the publication states it.

BTW I see the new year hasn't improved your mood or compression skills one bit. Then again, another year just means an even grumpier, older fart in Memmppphhiiissss.

onebadrubi

You two should give up 5 stock picks each, winner after 1 year gets to be crowned the king and end the pissing match.  haha

Im pulling for Vantage has HiM seems to be a troll and a prick around here.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 12, 2018, 02:41:21 pm
You two should give up 5 stock picks each, winner after 1 year gets to be crowned the king and end the pissing match.  haha

In before HiM arrogantly proclaims that he's too important to give tips to this thread and Vantage says a 12 month period is too short to adequately judge his picks.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: golf2day on January 12, 2018, 03:11:35 pm
In before HiM arrogantly proclaims that he's too important to give tips to this thread and Vantage says a 12 month period is too short to adequately judge his picks.
That would have been my response to that idiot's suggestion. I'm not giving away my portfolio, or any part of it, for free.

McKdaddy

You two should give up . . . . the pissing match.  haha

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 12, 2018, 03:19:12 pm
That would have been my response to that idiot's suggestion. I'm not giving away my portfolio, or any part of it, for free.
And you actually think anyone would be stupid enough to pay a dime for it ??? And yet YOU were insulted that MF would want to charge for their recommendations. I have a really strong hunch they were be FAR more justified in doing so.

Vantage 8 dude

A key difference is that while I'm willing to give out some ideas, I also don't claim to be the next Warren Buffett or whoever one wants to anoint as the god of investing. Besides, as some would observe: "You get what you pay for" ;) :) 8)

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 12, 2018, 04:31:30 pm
And you actually think anyone would be stupid enough to pay a dime for it ??? And yet YOU were insulted that MF would want to charge for their recommendations. I have a really strong hunch they were be FAR more justified in doing so.
I am being well compensated for my investment management skills.

Insulted hardly. Just shocked. MF is worthless.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 12, 2018, 06:34:03 pm
I am being well compensated for my investment management skills.

Insulted hardly. Just shocked. MF is worthless.
Hey, getting paid $5.00 is NOT what I would say is being "well compensated for my investment management skills". And as for MF-what part of the phrase "each to his own" NOT reach your minimal brain matter ??? Again, I could care nothing, zero, zilch, nada about your opinion. It's just that-an opinion (i.e. your thought/attitude about a subject). In the end that's all it is. No more, no less; whether or not other people agree or disagree with my personal assessment of MF  ultimately it means the same as yours (i.e. not much). Everyone is free to make their own choices and decisions. That's the purpose of a brain.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 12, 2018, 04:35:34 pm
A key difference is that while I'm willing to give out some ideas, I also don't claim to be the next Warren Buffett or whoever one wants to anoint as the god of investing. Besides, as some would observe: "You get what you pay for" ;) :) 8)

My comment was merely a darn at HiM for being a trolling prick with the biggest ego.  He may or may not be good at what he does, but I've found most guys like him aren't actually any good.

HiggiePiggy

Some of the advice that comes up on robinhood is from there I believe. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 12, 2018, 08:19:50 pm
My comment was merely a darn at HiM for being a trolling prick with the biggest ego.  He may or may not be good at what he does, but I've found most guys like him aren't actually any good.
You have no idea what I do or how I accomplish it. Thus, your general comment is stupid at best. "Most guys like him..." Really? Allow me to comment on what you do and how poorly you do i...in my opinion.

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 13, 2018, 11:59:53 am
You have no idea what I do or how I accomplish it. Thus, your general comment is stupid at best. "Most guys like him..." Really? Allow me to comment on what you do and how poorly you do i...in my opinion.
he means douchebags.

tasteslikechicken

I subscribe to the Oxford Club, specifically The Oxford Income Letter by Marc Lichtenfeld. He is focused primarily on dividend investing. I have faith in him as several of his recommendations have done well for me over the past year that I have subscribed.  Lichtenfeld has also penned a book called "Get Rich with Dividends" which I'd recommend as well.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 13, 2018, 11:59:53 am

Yeah my shot wasn't at fin guys, it was at idiot pricks and guys with nothing better to do with their lives than to get on a fan board to troll and hate.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 14, 2018, 04:38:55 pm
Yeah my shot wasn't at fin guys, it was at idiot pricks and guys with nothing better to do with their lives than to get on a fan board to troll and hate.
You're doing a pretty nice job of it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 14, 2018, 10:03:00 pm
You're doing a pretty nice job of it.

That's all you've got?  Someone with so much intelligence as you, yet your comment isn't even remotely correct and is just incorrect.  But I understand, you were called out for being a prick and troll and you know you are one, right along with bitter

onebadrubi

Quote from: tasteslikechicken on January 14, 2018, 02:25:45 pm
I subscribe to the Oxford Club, specifically The Oxford Income Letter by Marc Lichtenfeld. He is focused primarily on dividend investing. I have faith in him as several of his recommendations have done well for me over the past year that I have subscribed.  Lichtenfeld has also penned a book called "Get Rich with Dividends" which I'd recommend as well.

Since you mentioned dividends, have you ever played with proshares?  They seem to pride themselves on dividend investing and growth. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 14, 2018, 11:48:48 pm
That's all you've got?  Someone with so much intelligence as you, yet your comment isn't even remotely correct and is just incorrect.  But I understand, you were called out for being a prick and troll and you know you are one, right along with bitter
You are easily upset. You will find maturity useful.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 15, 2018, 12:35:12 pm
You are easily upset. You will find maturity useful.

lol, you just move the goal post to respond to something don't you.  Enjoy your need to boast to make yourself feel good. 

I'm done discussing this with you as you are pointless to even hold a discussion with. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 15, 2018, 02:01:15 pm
lol, you just move the goal post to respond to something don't you.  Enjoy your need to boast to make yourself feel good. 

I'm done discussing this with you as you are pointless to even hold a discussion with.
Awww, don't go away mad. Just go away.