Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grindle fish (aka bowfin) question

Started by batesvillepharmer, January 31, 2008, 04:21:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

batesvillepharmer

I had a shock the other day- I was bream fishing down on white river past newport and caught a huge freakin grindle. MAN, those fish FIGHT-I was throwing tube jigs up under the frozen places in the slack water and it hit like ton of bricks. I had 6lb line on and I fought it for about 10 minutes (seemed like 2 hours lol). It was about 4 lbs. I always heard stories bout them, but this was my first experience.  Anybody out there actually try to catch these things or are they universally considered trash fish?

spit

no they're not fit to eat but man they sure do fight.  I mean they put up a GOOD fight.
IWIWF.

deltahogfan

Quote from: spit on January 31, 2008, 04:37:46 pm
no they're not fit to eat but man they sure do fight.  I mean they put up a GOOD fight.
IWIWF.
Got to eat them while the meat is hot. Otherwise,in-edible.
Those who get there first with the most.

i like the # 7

i know a guy who caught one out of mendenhall swamp one time.
People say if it flies it dies. Well i say if it just sits there it still dies.

spit

Quote from: deltahogfan on January 31, 2008, 05:29:56 pm
Got to eat them while the meat is hot. Otherwise,in-edible.
i never even tried to eat them, it's just what I'v always heard.  Actually the last one I caught didn't put up much of a fight at all.  I starting to think they don't fight nearly as hard as i always heard.  The only reason I thouht it was true is b/c first one i ever caught was about 5 lbs and I was only about 12 years old - it stuck with me ever since that they are awesome fighters.  But I really will say here and now I change my mind - the last one faught like a little crappie.

deltahogfan

Used to be able to fish a lake that was full of them. In fact, the Arkansas state record bow-fin comes from this lake. Anyway, if the bass were not biting good, guess what was? They love Chartuese spinner baits. Positively would destroy a plastic worm. As to putting up a fight, sometimes they fought like the devil, other times pretty laid back until they got to the boat. Then all hell broke loose.

spit

Quote from: deltahogfan on January 31, 2008, 05:39:26 pm
As to putting up a fight, sometimes they fought like the devil, other times pretty laid back until they got to the boat. Then all hell broke loose.

LOL.. reminds me of catching gar.  I've caught several while catfishing with cut bait/shad/minnows at night in shallow water.  Also caught some on jugs like this- even caught them on shrimp.  reckon anything will eat shrimp.  Anyway talk about all hell breaking loose - lol - get a 3foot gar in the boat on rod and reel line at night with bug candles burning and jimmy rigged lights, etc.. WHAT A MESS!!!

spit

especially when you're ttryin to kill the trashy things witha boat paddle in the boat swinging and a beating..

batesvillepharmer

Quoteespecially when you're ttryin to kill the trashy things witha boat paddle in the boat swinging and a beating..

roflmmfao- yea, i did that one time- btw spit, you catfish with shrimp?

deltahogfan

Quote from: spit on January 31, 2008, 05:57:35 pm
LOL.. reminds me of catching gar.  I've caught several while catfishing with cut bait/shad/minnows at night in shallow water.  Also caught some on jugs like this- even caught them on shrimp.  reckon anything will eat shrimp.  Anyway talk about all hell breaking loose - lol - get a 3foot gar in the boat on rod and reel line at night with bug candles burning and jimmy rigged lights, etc.. WHAT A MESS!!!
Catfishing at night? Don't do much of that because of the skitters.

spit

Quote from: deltahogfan on January 31, 2008, 06:38:16 pm
Catfishing at night? Don't do much of that because of the skitters.
yeah they're tough sometimes.. the bug citronella candles help and put off a little light to see your line by as well.  also wear enough OFF to kill most creatures.  wife hates it when i get home.

batesvillepharmer

Quoteyeah they're tough sometimes.. the bug citronella candles help and put off a little light to see your line by as well.  also wear enough OFF to kill most creatures.  wife hates it when i get home.

I wont get near any OFF- it has deet in it - that crap will kill you.

hawgcaller

I've caught them before while bass fishing, and you are right about the fight, I usually think I have a wall hanger on. There is one place in particular where I fish that I've caught several. Just for the fight they are a blast. I would never think of eating one.

SpareRib

Quote from: deltahogfan on January 31, 2008, 05:39:26 pm
Used to be able to fish a lake that was full of them. In fact, the Arkansas state record bow-fin comes from this lake. Anyway, if the bass were not biting good, guess what was? They love Chartuese spinner baits. Positively would destroy a plastic worm. As to putting up a fight, sometimes they fought like the devil, other times pretty laid back until they got to the boat. Then all hell broke loose.

That's fact.  The only two I ever caught were on Flower Lake, an oxbow in Mississippi.  Caught both on bass plugs.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Hawgon

It is a grinnell, not grindle.  And they do love plastic worms.  We used to catch the crap out of them in Pond Creek on motor oil colored plastic worms. 

My dad ate one when he was a kid and said it was like eating a ball of cotton.  It just kept getting bigger and bigger the more that he chewed.

Hudge

I have caught several from a farm pond I used to bass fish in when I was a kid. I remember they loved any spinner bait we threw and palstic worms that were dark in color.

Jeffcphog

We always called them "Cypress Bass".  If you eat them hot with lots of hot sauce they are almost good as crap.

back2back

Prarie Creek in Murfreesboro used to be full of them, my buddy once got one up to the bank that probably weighed 7-8 pounds, we saw the teeth and it's prehistoric look, and we didn't want any part of it.  He caught it on a crappie jig, while we trying to figure out our next move, Mr. Grinnell headed for the deep straightening out the little crappie hook.  I had one tear up a quarterback once, I threw the sucker in the boat, it was the dead of summer, and 3-4 hours later, when I was leaving, it was still alive, so I sailed him up in the bushes.  Not sure if he survived or not, never checked.  But seriously, they are ferocious, the ones I caught all fought like the dickens.  Kind of odd how some streams can have a bunch of them, and other nearby streams don't have any.  I think the state record is like 18 pounds.  I bet Millwood has some whoppers in it.

This past spring, we were fishing a big south Georgia pond right by I-75, we caught grinnell and eels both out of there, must of had a artesian river feeding it.  I doubt anyone stocks either of those fine specimans.
FTS = Feed the Studs

spit

Quote from: Jeffcphog on January 31, 2008, 10:57:27 pm
We always called them "Cypress Bass".  If you eat them hot with lots of hot sauce they are almost good as crap.

wouldn't know, never ate any "CRAP".  rofkaslmmfaool

spit

"backtoback" your avatar is a hot tamale. amazing.  +1

back2back

Quote from: spit on January 31, 2008, 11:21:58 pm
"backtoback" your avatar is a hot tamale. amazing.  +1
Yeah, I like for her to sit in my lap on those cold days in a deer stand, sometimes I get distracted and don't even notice the big bucks that have walked by.
FTS = Feed the Studs

SultanofSwine

Ran into a couple of coonasses one day bowfishing for grinnel in a little slack water pocket off of white river down south. They were throwing pieces of white bread in the water and when the grinnel came up to eat it, they were shooting the hail out of em with thier bows. They were going to make them up in a shrimp creole receipe. The guy said you had to cut it up in small pieces or you would get the cotton ball effect mentioned earlier but if it was small pieces that it was fine eating prepared that way.

I'll pass on the grinnell, period. About ten pounds is the biggest I have caught but have had a couple bigger break off.

deltahogfan

Quote from: Hawgon on January 31, 2008, 08:35:37 pm
It is a grinnell, not grindle.  And they do love plastic worms.  We used to catch the crap out of them in Pond Creek on motor oil colored plastic worms. 

My dad ate one when he was a kid and said it was like eating a ball of cotton.  It just kept getting bigger and bigger the more that he chewed.
That is what i meant about eating them hot!

batesvillepharmer

QuoteIt is a grinnell, not grindle

Thanks Mr. Webster, but I have a source for my spelling as well:

"Noun 1. grindle - primitive long-bodied carnivorous freshwater fish with a very long dorsal fin; found in sluggish waters of North America
Amia calva, bowfin, dogfish
ganoid, ganoid fish - primitive fishes having thick bony scales with a shiny covering
Amia, genus Amia - type genus of the Amiidae

www.thefreedictionary.com/grindle "

Link to this page:

Hawgon

February 01, 2008, 02:20:00 pm #24 Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:21:38 pm by Hawgon
That is just wrong.  I've never ever heard anyone call it a "grindle".  That was probably written by someone who doesn't even know what one is.  In fact, it is probably someone who doesn't know anything confusing and combining the popular name of "grinnell" with the less used term of "brindle", which is sometimes used to describe the fish.

Try this one on for sizel

www.vernonweb.com/bowfin.htm

batesvillepharmer

Well, using your logic, I doubt anyone who has caught a "grinnel" ever wrote a dictionary either. I dont think they have to be experts on every word in the dictionary, just as long as they spell them correctly.  Secondly, Im not sure one can always associate pronunciation with proper spelling. But, I doubt the bowfin, aka grinnel, aka grindle, is worth arguing about. After further research, it appears we both might be right. 

Also Known As:
Beaverfish. Blackfish. Choupic. Choupique. Cottonfish. Cypress trout. Dogfish. Grindle. Grinnel. Grinner. Lawyer. Mudfish. Poisson-castor. Scaled ling. Shoepick. Shoepik. Shoepike. Shupik. Speckled Cat.
from http://www.bowfinanglers.com/bowfininfo.html

batesvillepharmer

...and FWIW (for my 100th post), the only reason I looked it up in starting this thread was because I knew one of the grammer hounds here would call me out if I spelled it wrong. So I typed in grennel fish and google asked if I meant "grindle fish"-so thats how I spelled it. well, I guess that backfired, lol. From here on, Ill just call them a bowfin.

Hawgon

Lighten up Francis, I'm just messin with you.

selfexplanatory

February 02, 2008, 12:11:52 am #28 Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 12:15:35 am by selfexplanatory
Quote from: SpareRib on January 31, 2008, 07:02:25 pm
That's fact.  The only two I ever caught were on Flower Lake, an oxbow in Mississippi.  Caught both on bass plugs.

I have caught one as well at Flower Lake.  Is that the fish that jumps non-stop in the cove near the boat ramp?
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

southeasthog

Quote from: spit on January 31, 2008, 05:58:10 pm
especially when you're ttryin to kill the trashy things witha boat paddle in the boat swinging and a beating..
Years ago I use to fish for them off the bank on Cut-Off Creek in Seven Devils bottoms. 5 foot spinning rod. 6 pound test. Nothing fights any harder. The best way to get them off the hook was a .22 pistol. Takes the fight right out of 'em. Also, if you just toss them on the ground without killing them, they just grow legs and walk back to the water eventually. I came across some guys fishing for them one day. They said, keep them on ice, clean 'em as soon as you get home, cook 'em right away and eat while they were hot. If you put them in the icebox and tried to eat some later, they get bigger the longer you chew 'em.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Swino

Quote from: southeasthog on February 02, 2008, 11:56:16 am
Years ago I use to fish for them off the bank on Cut-Off Creek in Seven Devils bottoms. 5 foot spinning rod. 6 pound test. Nothing fights any harder. The best way to get them off the hook was a .22 pistol. Takes the fight right out of 'em. Also, if you just toss them on the ground without killing them, they just grow legs and walk back to the water eventually. I came across some guys fishing for them one day. They said, keep them on ice, clean 'em as soon as you get home, cook 'em right away and eat while they were hot. If you put them in the icebox and tried to eat some later, they get bigger the longer you chew 'em.

The C.O. Creek is indeed full of them.  We used to fish for them as well.  Caught a bunch of them.  Good fighters, wouldn't ever eat one though.

southeasthog

Quote from: Swino on February 02, 2008, 12:16:30 pm
The C.O. Creek is indeed full of them.  We used to fish for them as well.  Caught a bunch of them.  Good fighters, wouldn't ever eat one though.
You and me both.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Swino

deltahogfan

Quote from: southeasthog on February 02, 2008, 12:41:25 pm
You and me both.
Been some 25 years or so ago, caught a good mess of bass and crappie in Cut-off. If memory serves me right, it was about this time of the year, at a spillway. Have not been back. Bass and crappie still there?

SpareRib

Quote from: selfexplanatory on February 02, 2008, 12:11:52 am
I have caught one as well at Flower Lake.  Is that the fish that jumps non-stop in the cove near the boat ramp?

Don't know, but I doubt it.  The one I caught never broke the surface until I had him at the boat.  Could your jumping fish be shad?
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

geoffhog

I caught one on a buzz bait in an old slough a few miles west of Conway. It was about 6 lbs. and ruined my buzz bait, tore it up.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

southeasthog

Quote from: deltahogfan on February 04, 2008, 09:08:07 am
Been some 25 years or so ago, caught a good mess of bass and crappie in Cut-off. If memory serves me right, it was about this time of the year, at a spillway. Have not been back. Bass and crappie still there?
Yes, they are still there. You just have to know where to find them.

keithf

I have had them hit a buzzbait and it looked like you dropped a car battery out of an airplane!

I read that indians thought grinnel were evil.  They believed that if they didn't bury the bones after they cleaned them that they would turn to snakes!

spit

Quote from: SpareRib on February 04, 2008, 11:41:32 am
Don't know, but I doubt it.  The one I caught never broke the surface until I had him at the boat.  Could your jumping fish be shad?
you surely can tell the difference between grindle and shad.  a grindle will nearly break your arm whereas a shad won't even really fight.

BTW FYI the last one i caught jumped about 7 times and it was dark.  caught him on dead half-rotten minnows while catfishing and he thought i had a 15 pounder he fought so hard.

SpareRib

February 07, 2008, 09:36:31 am #39 Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:41:15 am by SpareRib
Quote from: spit on February 07, 2008, 03:26:21 am
you surely can tell the difference between grindle and shad.  a grindle will nearly break your arm whereas a shad won't even really fight.

BTW FYI the last one i caught jumped about 7 times and it was dark.  caught him on dead half-rotten minnows while catfishing and he thought i had a 15 pounder he fought so hard.

Yep, I surely can.  I read the post to be fish jumping in the cove, not on the end of my line.  Haven't seen the fish he was talking about.

Yes, grinnel do fight hard.

Chuck Boarris

Quote from: back2back on January 31, 2008, 11:27:59 pm
Yeah, I like for her to sit in my lap on those cold days in a deer stand, sometimes I get distracted and don't even notice the big bucks that have walked by.

I posted this in a different thread, but I went to school with her. 

We catch these things down here in LA quite a bit.  Them suckers fight hard!

back2back

Quote from: HawgHaulin on February 07, 2008, 04:09:29 pm
I posted this in a different thread, but I went to school with her. 

We catch these things down here in LA quite a bit.  Them suckers fight hard!

You went to school with a grinnel?
FTS = Feed the Studs

Chuck Boarris

spit

Quote from: HawgHaulin on February 07, 2008, 11:27:32 pm
lol!  No, the chick in your avatar.
yeah and I took her home after the prom.  nice butt, esp when bent over the chesterdrawers

Chuck Boarris

Quote from: spit on February 08, 2008, 06:23:38 am
yeah and I took her home after the prom.  nice butt, esp when bent over the chesterdrawers

So you went to school at Mena too huh?  Interesting...

spit

Quote from: HawgHaulin on February 08, 2008, 02:06:29 pm
So you went to school at Mena too huh?  Interesting...
nope.  didn't.  and its not interesting

Chuck Boarris

Quote from: spit on February 08, 2008, 08:55:07 pm
nope.  didn't.  and its not interesting

Thats great, cause I really dont care anyways. 

back2back, I've got a link to her myspace page if you wanna see more pics?

flynhog

you guys will call me a true arkansas fisherman with this story.

15 years ago at horseshoe lake, 1/4 mile from the north end of East Lake. just north of Holly Grove, Arkansas, I caught a 4 pound bowfin on a Vienna Sausage, texas rigged. 

I know you think its bs but it the truth.

Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

batesvillepharmer

well, a to call you a true arkansas fisherman would depend on how you pronounce "vienna" when referring to canned sausage. The proper way is pronounced Vi-eenie sausage.

SultanofSwine

You are not a true Arkansas fisherman cause no self-respecting Arkansas fisherman would put his lunch in the water. He would slap that Vi-eenie weiner on a cracker and eat the hail out of it.