Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wonder how Tenner is making the numbers work?...

Started by The_Boot_stops_here, January 22, 2015, 08:40:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

December 06, 2016, 05:32:06 pm #250 Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:39:45 am by ALLVOL
Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 06, 2016, 03:56:02 pm
Well, Tennessee just got the commitment of Trey Smith, the #1 OL in the country (and #1 overall player, per espn).  I'm sure Butch can make the numbers work to make room for him (i.e., Johnny Three-Star may need to look elsewhere for a place to go next fall).

I doubt it was a factor at all that Butch gave his sister a job as his executive assistant in the athletic department...
Now Jack Rabbit she's been there. But if that's all it takes then good for him.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/806876094590812160

With 25 hard commits via commitable offers, curious who the Vols are looking at to fill the ten remaining spots.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ALLVOL

Quote from: jbcarol on December 08, 2016, 09:49:58 am
https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/806876094590812160

With 25 hard commits via commitable offers, curious who the Vols are looking at to fill the ten remaining spots.
We'll find room jb lol.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Projecting the Volunteers' 2017 recruiting class

QuoteTennessee has 25 commits and hopes to sign between 26-28 prospects. With several targets still on the board, more attrition could be coming.

QUARTERBACK
3-star recruit Bubba Thompson (McGill Toolen, Ala.)

Note: The Volunteers have had a tough time landing a 2017 signal caller (missing on Hunter Johnson, Jack Sears and N'Kosi Perry).

RUNNING BACK
4-star recruit Ty Chandler (Montgomery Bell Academy, Tenn.) ***

3-star recruit Trey Coleman (West Monroe, La.) ***

3-star recruit Darrian Felix (Fort Myers, Fla.)

Note: Chandler and Coleman are longtime commits. Chandler is a stud from the Midstate...

TIGHT END
3-star recruit James Brown (Jones, Fla.) ***

Note: Brown is a converted quarterback

WIDE RECEIVER
3-star recruit Jordan Murphy (Hattiesburg, Miss.) ***

3-star recruit Princeton Fant (LaVergne, Tenn.) ***

3-star recruit Jacquez Jones (Clearwater, Fla.) ***

*** Indicates current Tennessee commit

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/dreday_17/status/808335118809137152

Ryan Callahan ‏@RyanCallahan247 2h2 hours ago

Ryan Callahan Retweeted Ryan Bartow

#Vols land former Mississippi State commit.

jbcarol

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee is looking to recapture its glory from the 1990s

Texas quarterback Will McBride is headed to Tennessee in a month — the only question is whether he'll go to school in Memphis or Knoxville

QuoteMcBride is wrestling with a decision whether or not to flip after the Vols offered the 6-foot-1, 200-pound quarterback a scholarship last Thursday.

In a short period of time, Butch Jones & Co. have put a full-court press on the Clear Springs product, desperately trying to fill a vacancy in their 2017 recruiting class.

"If you look at their quarterback offers, there's not a bunch of them," McBride said.

"All the other guys not going to Tennessee are pretty much committed to other SEC schools or big-time programs. So I'm one of the select few and I feel very blessed to be part of that."

McBride is ranked the nation's No. 29 duel-threat quarterback.

quarterback commit Will McBride wrestling with difficult decision after Tennessee visit
Jesse Simonton
Jesse Simonton
Tennessee football and recruiting writer
@JesseReSimonton
More stories by Jesse Simonton

Tennessee football: Vols waiting on JUCO CB Keisean Nixon
    52 mins ago
    Butch Jones defends Tennessee's culture, calls explosive report 'untrue'
    2 hours ago
    Tennessee football practice report: Freshmen S Nigel Warrior, QB Jarrett Guarantano turn heads Tuesday
    5 hours ago
    Tennessee DL target Matthew Butler trims finalists down to three unidentified schools
    8 hours ago
    Tennessee football: Injured DT Shy Tuttle's 'spirits are good' despite long road to recovery
    1 day ago

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee is looking to recapture its glory from the 1990s. Join us daily at SEC Country for the latest recruiting news and notes on the next crop of Volunteers.

Texas quarterback Will McBride is headed to Tennessee in a month — the only question is whether he'll go to school in Memphis or Knoxville.

The longtime Tigers commit wrapped up a whirlwind 72 hours late Sunday night, taking an official visit to Memphis on Friday before flying to Knoxville on Sunday for an abbreviated official with the Vols.

"It's been crazy," McBride told me.

"They're both great schools. I just feel very blessed. It's a lot of stress, but good stress."

McBride is wrestling with a decision whether or not to flip after the Vols offered the 6-foot-1, 200-pound quarterback a scholarship last Thursday.

In a short period of time, Butch Jones & Co. have put a full-court press on the Clear Springs product, desperately trying to fill a vacancy in their 2017 recruiting class.

"If you look at their quarterback offers, there's not a bunch of them," McBride said.

"All the other guys not going to Tennessee are pretty much committed to other SEC schools or big-time programs. So I'm one of the select few and I feel very blessed to be part of that."

McBride is ranked the nation's No. 29 duel-threat quarterback. He threw for more than 2,000 yards with 23 touchdowns and just 4 interceptions as a senior, adding 359 rushing yards and 2 touchdowns. He also holds offers from SMU, Purdue, Boise State and Utah, among others.

Although he's been committed to Memphis since late June, he didn't hesitate to give Tennessee a look when the Vols came calling.

"A school like Tennessee, you have to definitely check it out. It's a nation brand," he said.

"It's a great place. A great place to play college football. You can't pass up the opportunity to at least check it out, if not switch and say, 'I have to look at this.'"

McBride enjoyed his quick trip to Knoxville, arriving around 2 p.m. on Sunday. He toured Neyland Stadium and ate dinner at Jones' house.

"(Neyland) is really exotic. It's very nice. Impressive. It was a great experience touring all the facilities and stuff. Really just going to Coach Jones house. We had a good talk. Very comforting," McBride said.

"It's a rapid growing relationship and it's still growing, but I feel comfortable over there."

While Jarrett Guarantano and Quinten Dormady will compete for the starting job in the spring, McBride is an early enrollee and isn't interested in riding the pine. He's wants to play in college and not just be a clipboard holder.

Tennessee has promised him such an opportunity.

"They told me they want me for a reason. They want me to come in and compete," McBride said.

"I have a chance to start there. They told me the spot is wide open. They're trying to win. The best quarterback will play. It's a business. It's a competition. You got to beat people out. This is SEC football."

McBride has the tool-set to play in the SEC, but folks have long questioned his height as a deterrence in his recruitment.

Now, McBride faces "a really tough decision." He grew up an SEC football fan, rooting for LSU. He's intrigued about the opportunity to play in the county's preeminent conference, while juggling the fact that he has strong bonds with folks at Memphis.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Resetting the Vols 2017 recruiting class

We're days into the NCAA-mandated dead period, but it's hardly been a slow week in recruiting for Tennessee

QuoteVols landed two commits this week, adding 3-star Miami Southridge defensive end Deandre Johnson and 3-star Texas quarterback Will McBride.

The Vols also missed on 3-star junior college cornerback Keisean Nixon.

Again, what dead period?

With 25 commits already in the bag, here's a quick reset:

Tennessee has hosted 13 official visitors so far this fall including Nixon.

Majority of Tennessee commits have not taken their official visits. Many claim they will visit Jan. 20.

Counting back

Tennessee currently has five commits who plan to start school on Jan. 8 including QB Will McBride.

Commits wavering

None.

That leaves 20 recruits the Vols must hold onto until National Signing Day. Things are obviously subject to change, especially with the likelihood of staff changes over the next month.

Including:

* LB Will Ignont — The Buckhorn (Ala.) product told SEC Country he's 110-percent committed to Tennessee, but he still plans to take an OV to LSU in January. The Tigers were once his dream school and his family originally hailed from Louisiana.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Michael_Carvell 41m41 minutes ago

Tennessee recruiting: A snapshot at Vols 2017 class  https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-recruiting-snapshot-vols-2017-class

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee is looking to recapture its glory from the 1990s

Where is Tennessee's class ranked?

No. 11 nationally, No. 6 in the SEC
Who are Tennessee's top commitments?

* No. 26 overall Trey Smith, a 5-star offensive tackle from University School of Jackson (Tn.)

* No. 63 overall Maleik Gray, a 4-star safety from LaVergne (Tn.)

* No. 73 overall Ty Chandler, a 4-star tailback from Montgomery Bell Academy (Tn.)

Who decommitted from Tennessee this week?

The Vols parted ways with a pair of defensive prospects in the last week, as 3-star Salem (Ga.) linebacker Mo Burnam reopened his recruitment on Dec. 12 following an official visit to Indiana.

A day later, 3-star defensive end Tre Lawson decommitted.

Who are Tennessee's top uncommitted targets?

* No. 4 overall Cam Akers, a 5-star running back from Clinton (Miss.)

* No. 50 overall Lamont Wade, a 5-star corner from Clariton (Pa.)

Geography breakdown

Alabama (1)

Florida (5)

Georgia (4)

Lousiana (3)

Mississippi (1)

Tennessee (Eight)

Texas (1)

Virginia (1)

West Virginia (1)

jbcarol

Jesse Re Simonton ‏@JesseReSimonton Dec 17

Tennessee recruiting mailbag: Talking top remaining targets, spots and 5-star Cam Akers. http://sec.news/2i0rt24

QuoteTennessee is looking to recapture its glory from the 1990s.

Who are the top remaining targets for the 2017 class and will we have room for them?

As for "room," Tennessee's final number seemingly changes almost daily. Could the Vols sign 27 or 28 guys? Will they sit on 26 commits? It's still too early to know six weeks before National Signing Day. Most of the class attrition is done with, so Tennessee could face some tough choices in the near future.

Akers certainly could be in the long shot category, too. It's hard to get a real read on his recruitment. FSU is suddenly the hot team after the buzz was on Ole Miss then LSU and then even Tennessee around 10 days ago. I continue to believe the Vols' only chance to sign Akers is if the 5-star running back decides to delay enrolling early and visits Knoxville in January.

Why does Butch Jones set such low standards on recruiting by constantly going after 3-star players and bypassing superior talent in 4-and-5-stars?

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/811178593623699457

QuoteInterestingly, Johnson said he received a scholarship offer from the Vols while he was in the Alabama players' lounge while at the Tide's camp.

"The whole city, it's beautiful, with the mountains, the water, the trees and all the colors. I just fell in love with it right away."

Tennessee, however, was not ready to take Johnson's commitment, initially.
Business is business

The Vols, like many other schools that recruit aggressively, have a fluid situation when it comes to the numbers game involved with public commitments.

As Johnson said, "they were kinda slow-playing me, and I wasn't sure how much they really wanted me, so I committed to Mississippi State (July 31) to be safe."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Former Vol commit, Mo Burnam gave a verbal to IU.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/814866223951474688

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee is looking to recapture its glory from the 1990s.

With 26 commits, Vols check in at No. 11 nationally, No. 6 in SEC.

Who committed to Tennessee this week?
No one. The Vols went 0-for-2 this week

* No. 43 overall LaBryan Ray, a 4-star defensive end from James Clemens

Counting Back: Who will enroll early?

Tennessee currently has five commits who plan to start school on Jan. 8.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/817393043246563328

SAN ANTONIO — Tennessee desperately needs future defensive playmakers — especially linebackers — so why did the Vols miss so badly on a talented in-state prospect who could possibly contribute in 2017?

Jacob Phillips committed to Oklahoma in October.

Phillips has been a popular player in Texas, too, garnering heavy interest from LSU —

So again, what happened with Tennessee and the 4-star prospect?

Phillips was leaning toward leaving the state, while Tennessee wasn't sure if the 6-foot-4, 235-pound prospect was actually a linebacker.  He didn't visit for more than a year, and he barely talked to Tennessee linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen.

After assessing his early senior season film and shuffling their own defensive board, the Vols reached back out to Phillips this fall. His stock had continued to rise, and he had official visits lined up to Alabama, Notre Dame, Texas A&M and OU.

"Throughout the years you really kind of see what people truly are, and I just didn't really feel comfortable there," Phillips said of Tennessee.

"Just hearing what other people had to say about them, too, I didn't feel comfortable."

Phillips offered no ill will toward the Vols, but admitted he simply never meshed with the staff.

"It wasn't necessarily the fit or anything," he said.

"It was the coaching staff and stuff like that."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/818482216640581634

Tennessee's running back board continues to shrink.

After 5-star tailback target Cam Akers committed to Florida State on Dec. 27, 3-star Sunshine State speedster Darrian Felix is no longer an option now too after committing to Oregon.

Vols will shift their focus toward 4-star Travis Etienne, 3-star Timothy Jordan and 3-star Jonathan Lovett. Tennessee still wants to add a third tailback to the class, pairing either Etienne, Jordan or Lovett with 4-star U.S. Army All-American Ty Chandler and 3-star West Monroe (La.) standout Trey Coleman.

What isn't exactly "wide open" is Etienne's recruitment. The former Aggies commit openly admitted he has a top school in mind right now, saying, "I really love College Station. It felt like a home away from home. They're my leaders honestly. (LSU and Tenn) are tied. I haven't seen Tennessee. I haven't been there or anything. Going there is going to tell me what I need to know."

See all 26 Tennessee 2017 Football Commits

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/818841473537941505

Sunday was move-in day for Tennessee quintet of mid-year enrollees.

The five-man group participated in orientation the first two days of the week and will officially start college classes Wednesday morning.

Vols hope their newest group will have a bigger on-field impact in 2017.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/819319503439990784

QuoteWe're exactly three weeks away, and the Vols continue to look to fill their final few remaining spots in their 2017 class.

They'll host a big group of official visitors over the weekend, headlined by Under Armour All-American defensive end LaBryan Ray.

As it currently stands, Tennessee has 26 commits and hopes to sign between 27-28 prospects. The Vols class ranks No. 10 nationally — sixth in the SEC.

Quarterback

3-star Will McBride (Clear Springs, Texas)

Running back

4-star recruit Ty Chandler (Montgomery Bell Academy, Tenn.) ***

3-star recruit Trey Coleman (West Monroe, La.) ***

3-star recruit Johnathan Lovett (Marlton, N.J.)

Offensive line

3-star recruit Riley Locklear, tackle (Spring Valley, W.Va.) ***

5-star recruit Trey Smith, tackle (University School of Jackson, Tenn.) ***

3-star recruit K'Rojhn Calbert, tackle (Warren County, Tenn.) ***

Defensive line

3-star recruit LaTrell Bumphus, end (Hardin County, Tenn.) ***

4-star recruit Eric Crosby, tackle (Ocean Lakes, Va.) ***

3-star recruit Kivon Bennett, tackle (St. Thomas Aquinas, Fla.) ***

3-star recruit  Matthew Butler, end (Garner, N.C.) ***

3-star Deandre Johnson, end (Miami Southridge, Fla.) ***

3-star Aaron Sterling, end (Tucker, Ga.)

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/819721525230206976

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee is looking to recapture its glory from the 1990s

With 26 commits, the Vols check in at No. 10 nationally, No. 6 in the SEC. They rank behind Alabama...

Who are Tennessee's top commitments?

* No. 25 overall Trey Smith, a 5-star offensive tackle from University School of Jackson (Tenn.)

* No. 63 overall Maleik Gray, a 4-star safety from LaVergne (Tenn.)

* No. 73 overall Ty Chandler, a 4-star tailback from Montgomery Bell Academy (Tenn.)

* No. 229 overall Eric Crosby, a 4-star defensive tackle from Ocean Lakes (Va.)

* No. 298 overall Will Ignont, a 4-star linebacker from Buckhorn (Ala.)

Who committed to Tennessee this week?

No one. The Vols weren't expecting a commitment, either.

Couple subtle changes here. Wideout Jaylen Harris, a 4-star from Cleveland Heights, [commited to] Ohio State... cornerback Ameer Speed is also off the board after eliminating the Vols from contention.

Tennessee's remaining top targets are ...

* No. 43 overall LaBryan Ray, a 4-star defensive end from James Clemens (Ala.) — Tennessee will be hard-pressed to poach the No. 1 player out of Alabama

No. 404 nationally Aaron Sterling, a 3-star defensive end from Tucker (Ga.) — The former Alabama commit is a South Carolina lean, but Tennessee could become a major factor depending on what happens with Ray.

Tennessee has five commits who are now signees and began class on Jan. 11.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/820386461795151872

QuoteChris Bell is staying in state.

The 3-star defensive back from Pope John Paul II High School (Hendersonville, Tenn.) announced on Saturday that he has committed to Tennessee. Bell will be a preferred walk-on.

"First I'd like the thank God..."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/820369095615021061

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee's offensive coordinator. Gone.

Tennessee's pseudo quarterbacks coach. Also gone.

And yet, Will McBride never second-guessed signing with the Vols.

The freshman quarterback from Clear Springs (League City, Texas) High is one of Tennessee's five mid-year enrollees, and while Mike DeBord and Nick Sheridan — his two main recruiters — are no longer with the program, McBride is excited about his future in Orange and White.

"It was shocking ... But it definitely taught me a good lesson," he said.

"One that I can pass down to my younger brother. You got to pick the school. What's best for you, rather than trying to please a coach. ... You kind of have to be selfish within the process. That's what had to happen."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/RyanCallahan247/status/821354671931609088

QuoteSDE Ryan Thaxton, a former Virginia commitment, chose the Vols over Ole Miss and Vanderbilt, giving Tennessee its 27th commitment for the 2017 class and its sixth from a projected defensive lineman.

"I mean, it's just the place I wanted to be at," said Thaxton, who's ranked the nation's No. 828 overall prospect and No. 40 strongside defensive end in the 247Sports Composite for the 2017 class.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/822478102441984000

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee is looking to recapture its glory from the 1990s.

A week ago, Tennessee hosted a bunch of defensive linemen, netting a commitment from 3-star end Ryan Thaxton.

Tennessee will welcome a slew of commits and a couple prospective targets — including a late surprise visitor:

4-star running back Devan Barrett (Tampa Catholic, Fla.)
National ranking: No. 166 nationally, No. 11 tailback
Also considering: Auburn commit

Vols were scheduled to also host 4-star defensive end Brad Johnson (Pendleton, S.C.) this weekend. However, after visiting South Carolina, Johnson will not make the trip anymore.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/823284150694215681

QuoteLongtime linebacker commit Jaquan Henderson did not take his official visit to Tennessee this weekend, going to Georgia Tech instead.

Newton (Ga.) standout left his visit with the Yellow Jackets committed to a different school, too, flipping from Tennessee to Ga. Tech on Sunday.

3-star linebacker committed to Tennessee in June on 'Orange Carpet Day.'

Vols now have 26 commits in their 2017 class, including a trio of linebackers: Shanon Reid (an early enrollee), Will Ignont and Solon Page III —

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/823552257144799232

Vols already have running back commits Ty Chandler and Trey Coleman solidly in the fold for next season, but with only John Kelly and Carlin Fils-aime on the roster for spring practice, Tennessee wants to add a third tailback to its 2017 class.

Vols are juggling four options, and at this point, it's pretty much first to commit gets the spot.

* 4-star Travis Etienne (Jennings, La.)

* 4-star Devan Barrett (Tampa Catholic, Fla.)

* 3-star Tim Jordan (Bartow, Fla.)

* 3-star Jonathan Lovett (Cherokee, N.J.)

Etienne visited Jan. 13, and this past weekend Tennessee welcomed Barrett and Jordan. Lovett is tentatively scheduled to be on campus next weekend.

Etienne tripped to Clemson over the weekend, but the sources continue to believe LSU is the ultimate destination for the blue-chip runner. He will visit Baton Rouge this weekend.

Barrett is a longtime Auburn commit, but Tennessee's persistence got the top-200 player back on campus for a final look. Although he enjoyed his time at Tennessee, the Tigers commit said he's still "pretty solid" to Auburn.

Jordan no longer will go to Purdue next weekend, and anticipates making an announcement "next week."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/824033258203738112

QuoteSt. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) standout is teammates with Vols defensive tackle commit Kivon Bennett. Palmer is the 28th pledge in Tennessee's 2017 recruiting class.

Canadian native, Palmer stands 6-foot-2, 200-pounds. Palmer holds more than a dozen offers and is the nation's No. 119 receiver...

jbcarol

Jesse Re Simonton ‏@JesseReSimonton 6m6 minutes ago

Questions for #Vols with NSD right around the corner ...
➡️ Class complete?
➡️ More attrition?
➡️ A Top-10 finish?
http://sec.news/2k0625w

The Vols have flirted around 26-28 commits since the New Year. Can they really add anymore though? Will there be further attrition?

Here are three questions for Tennessee with National Signing Day right around the corner.

1. Could Tennessee's recruiting class done?

Vols are certainly still beating the doors on defensive linemen LaBryan Ray, Aaron Sterling and Elijah Conliffe, but it wouldn't be a shock if they went 0-for-3 here.

Conliffe, a 4-star defensive tackle from Hampton (Va.), is trending Tennessee's way, but UF and Penn State are lurking and he has another visit planned for this weekend, too.

Right now, I believe Conliffe will be the final piece of the 2017 class, but he won't make a decision until Jan. 31...

2. Will Tennessee have more attrition?

The Vols lead the nation with 13 decommitments in the 2017 cycle.

All the situations were different, but that's a ton of movement no matter what the circumstances were.

Most of the Vols 28 commits are solid, mainly because so many have joined the fold in recent weeks. Since Dec. 6 — the day 5-star offensive tackle Trey Smith committed to UT — the Vols have added eight verbal pledges.

Only a few commits are still looking around, with wideout Jordan Murphy possibly visiting Ole Miss and 4-star safety Maleik Gray continuing to hear from Florida State.

Gray is likely UT bound, but Murphy could be one to watch. Losing the talented Hattiesburg (Miss.) wideout would be a major blow to the 2017 class.

Finally, 3-star receiver Jacquez Jones will visit Central Florida this weekend. The Clearwater (Fla.) standout insists he's "110 percent committed" to Tennessee, but a visit right before signing day is certainly something to monitor.

I've been asked many times "processing" or "upgrading" at other spots. Well, cutting a guy — especially any longtime commits — this late in the game would cause some serious blowback for Butch Jones and his staff.

3. Will the Vols finish with a Top-10 class?

Doubtful.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/824653245595471872

Vols added 3-star receiver Joshua Palmer on Tuesday, giving Tennessee's recruiting class four wideouts four 2017.

With 28 commits in the fold, it's easy to assume the Vols would be done at the position.

Palmer joins 3-stars Jordan Murphy, Jacquez Jones and Princeton Fant.

Tennessee continues to target 3-star Jordan Pouncey of Winter Park (Fla.). The hybrid tailback/receiver had more than 1,500 all-purpose yards with 13 touchdowns.

6-foot-2, 180-pound receiver was committed to Notre Dame before reopening his recruitment several weeks ago.

Vols are battling Miami and Texas.

Vols don't appear to have a spot for Pouncey, so their continued interest could mean a couple things.

1. They'll make room (doubtful)

2. They're looking for an upgrade (possible)

3. They're preparing for potential attrition (most likely)

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/825077805335642113

QuoteWith 28 commits, the Vols check in at No. 13 nationally and No. 6 in the SEC.

Right now, the Vols are scheduled to welcome just a few guys [this weekend before the dead period starts]. Fant, Bumphus and Calbert will be in town, as will wideout Jordan Pouncey.

* No. 26 overall LaBryan Ray, a 5-star defensive end from James Clemens (Ala.) —

Tennessee has five commits who are now signees and began class on Jan. 11.

Class breakdown

Quarterback (1)  — Will McBride (Clear Springs, Texas)

Offensive line (3) — Riley Locklear (Spring Valley, W.Va.), K'Rojhn Calbert (Warren County), Trey Smith (University School)

Geography breakdown

Alabama (1)

Florida (7)

Georgia (3)

Louisiana (3)

Mississippi (1)

North Carolina (1)

Tennessee (8)

Texas (1)

Virginia (3)

West Virginia (1)

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/825819183262920705

Vols' #EL17E group already includes 28 members from 10 different states.

Safety Maleik Gray (LaVergne, Tenn.) — "It just felt like home from the get-go. They've been there from the start. I love the facilities. The facilities are amazing. Academics, too. It just feels like home honestly."

Offensive tackle Trey Smith (University School of Jackson) — "Being in-state, the doors and opportunities that offers. Also, living in-state, having job opportunities is tremendous. ... The possibly of taking a program and helping it, bringing it back to the excellence that it deserves. Why be another banner when you can go make your own?"

Tailback Ty Chandler (Montgomery Bell Academy, Tenn.) — "'Why not Tennessee?' It's close to home. I have a great opportunity. I love the coaching staff up there. I feel like it's the right spot for me. It felt like home. That's why I'm sticking with it."

Linebacker Will Ignont (Buckhorn, Ala.) — "I just got that feeling. I just fell in love with it immediately. I liked campus. The facilities. The coaching staff. It just felt like a no-brainer."

jbcarol

Vols have 28 commits, with room for one more prospect

QuoteAnnouncing Ignont, Jones says, "The last individual of the day."

It appears Fant will not be announced today...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Christopher Volken ‏@VolkenVol

Dearest, Barbara.  War is Hell.  As I write to you, the casualties pile up faster than we can dig the graves.  Send my regards to the boys.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/827533176797028352

QuoteTennessee signed 27 newcomers on Wednesday, closing National Signing Day with the country's No. 17 overall class.

Vols expect several signees to contribute on special teams and find roles on the two-deep, but since their overall team depth is much better than year's past, they won't have to rely on a bunch of rookies in 2017.

Here's an early look at a few signees projected to redshirt next season.

Quarterback Will McBride
McBride appears destined for scout team duty and a redshirt season. He enrolled early.

Defensive lineman Marquez Bembry, Ryan Thaxton, Eric Crosby

Tight ends James Brown and LaTrell Bumphus

Will all three receivers see the field? What about tailbacks trio?

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/827252714195267585

Tennessee's 2017 recruiting class is officially in the books. Football coach Butch Jones signed 27 prospects for the nation's No. 17 class. Here's a rundown of superlatives for the EL17E signees.

Most underrated
DL Matthew Butler. The 6-foot-4, 280-pound defensive tackle, Butler was rated a 4-star by just 1 recruiting service.

Most athletic
DL Marquez Bembry. He's raw yet recovering from a knee injury.

Biggest flip
WR Joshua Palmer. A rangy 6-foot-2, 200-pound wideout.

Biggest loss
WR Tee Higgins. There's simply no way to sugarcoat the burn of missing on a 5-star playmaker who lives in your backyard.

Class MVP
5-star OT Trey Smith.
Built like ox [sic] at 6-foot-5, 310 pounds after training in the University School of Jackson's weightlifting program. Smith is a mauler and people mover.

jbcarol

jbcarol

What are Tennessee's early needs in the Class of 2018?

Tennessee signed the nation's No. 17 recruiting class last Wednesday, restocking at tailback and infusing the defensive line with fresh, athletic bodies (6 signees). The Vols also added several linebackers and true corners, but both positions must be further addressed in the next cycle.

In 2018, Tennessee's most important need — figuratively speaking — is securing more in-state talent. In a historic [12 kids from Tennessee are in the '18 ESPN 3000 including Knoxville Catholic 5-star OT Cade Mays] in the Volunteer State, Tennessee signed just 8 prospects — five in the top 20.

The next generation of Tennessee kids needs to see if the Vols are truly "back." They need to see them win big again.

If Tennessee fulfills its expectations this fall, Jones won't have a problem with the state's best players opting for a different shade of orange anymore.

Here are Tennessee's most important positional needs in 2018...

Offensive line
Tennessee signed a quality group of offensive linemen on Wednesday, adding 5-star Trey Smith, Riley Locklear and super intriguing tackle K'Rojhn Calbert. The Vols' OL depth is much-improved, but it will take a substantial hit after next season. They'll graduate three potential starters — Coleman Thomas, Jashon Robertson and Brett Kendrick —

Safety
After the 2017 season, Todd Kelly Jr. and Evan Berry will be gone. Rashaan Gaulden, Micah Abernathy and Stephen Griffin will be seniors by then, too. Depending on how freshman Maleik Gray fills out, he could end up at outside linebacker.

Wide receiver
Vols have signed seven receivers the last two years, but they'll continue to load up on the position in 2018. Josh Smith and Jeff George will be off the roster, while Jauan Jennings could be headed to the NFL [or other].

Defensive line
With six signees in the 2017 class, D-line may not seem like such a priority, but with a deep pool of talent in-state, the DL will be a focus once again. As Tennessee saw in 2016, you never can have too many big bodies. The Vols won't add half a dozen guys in the next cycle, but they'll pad the depth with another 4-5 signees.

Quarterback
Vols will sign at least one signal caller in 2018. I say at least, because depending on how the competition shakes out this fall, attrition could cause Tennessee to need two guys next cycle.

Final few spots
Tennessee will look to add another blue-chip tailback, a couple more cornerbacks, 2-3 linebackers and a tight end. Another specialist could be on the radar, too.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/829419834635124748

QuoteVols will enter 2017 with a veteran, experienced team — aside from the most important position.

Quarterback

1. Quinten Dormady (Jr.) or Jarrett Guarantano (RFr.)

2. Sheriron Jones (RSo.)

3. Will McBride (Fr.)

The skinny: This one is rather straightforward. Dormady and Guarantano will compete for the starting job, while Jones will get a chance to throw his hat into the mix during the spring. McBride is strictly insurance should anyone ultimately transfer.

Running back

1. John Kelly (Jr.)

2. Carlin Fils-aime (So.)

3. Ty Chandler (Fr.)

4. Tim Jordan (Fr.) 0r Trey Coleman (Fr.)

Receiver

1. Jauan Jennings (Jr.)

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/830069843000967172

QuoteTennessee is looking to recapture its glory from the 1990s so who will be in Tennessee's Class of 2018?

Compared to most schools, the Vols had a very quiet NSD, so during Tennessee's "EL17E" live broadcast coaches were furiously texting prospects — mostly 2018 and 2019 kids.

Vols are already off to a nice start with a pair of blue-chip commits (5-star OT Cade Mays and 4-star ATH Alontae Taylor). If they land these five [sic] prospects, they'll likely find themselves back in the Top 10.

Five more:
Greg Emerson, 4-star DE, North Side (Tenn.)
The Jackson, Tenn., native is the priority.

D'Andre Litaker, 4-star DT, Riverdale (Tenn.)
Litaker missed most of his junior season with a torn ACL, but the 6-foot-3, 290-pound tackle is still one of Tennessee's most coveted targets on the board. The Vols were one of the first schools to offer Litaker —

Maxwell Iyama, 4-star OT, Siegel (Tenn.)
Another in-state product, Iyama is just scratching the surface as a prospect. The 6-foot-5, 285-pound tackle picked up offers from Tennessee, Louisville and Memphis late in 2016.

Jarek Campbell, 3-star ATH, Riverdale (Tenn.)
Once again, Tennessee is well positioned for a talented, versatile prospect in the state. Campbell, who currently holds just three offers, could play receiver or defensive back in college. He's teammates with Litaker.

Tykee Ogle-Kellogg, 3-star WR, Alcoa (Tenn.)
Local standout just recently earned a Vols offer at the end of January. Oleg-Kellogg won Tennessee's Class 3A Mr. Football Back Award.

In-state focus is highlighted in this forecast.

jbcarol

The three SEC teams, and three alone, that really need to kill it during the 2018 recruiting cycle

QuoteHad they not secured a 28-player class, the Vols might not have cracked top 20 in national rankings. All but five of Tennessee's 2017 signees were 3-star recruits, and while Butch Jones did land the state's No. 1 prospect, Trey Smith, his program missed out on Tennessee's other two 5-star players. JaCoby Stevens chose LSU and Tee Higgins wound up at Clemson.

Clemson also swiped 4-star wideout Amari Rodgers — the son of Tee Martin — and ex-UT quarterback commit Hunter Johnson. LSU snagged 4-star linebacker Jacob Phillips.

You can say a lot about the in-state recruiting fallout, but I'm willing to bet you aren't saying, 'Wow, Tennessee is back.'

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/834782845516316672

Tennessee's 2018 quarterback board continues to take shape with new position coach Mike Canales on board.

Since the North Texas assistant came to Tennessee on Jan. 20, the Vols have handed out a number of new offers to signal callers across the Southeast, including two more scholarships in the past two days: Gerry Bohanon, a 4-star fromEarle High i Arkansas [sic], and Joe Milton of Olympic High in Florida.

Bohanon is one of the premier duel-threat quarterbacks in the country, also holding early offers from Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, and State. 6-foot-4, 215-pound quarterback is ranked as the No. 10 duel-threat prospect in the 2018 class.

Vols have now dished out 14 scholarships to quarterbacks [sic] — including six in the last month.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/835508023552532480

QuoteAlontae Taylor is one of the two players committed to Tennessee for the 2018 class. And while the 4-star athlete says he's still committed, he's also still open to the possibility of playing elsewhere.

Taylor posted a note to his Twitter discussing the recent departure of Tennessee wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni Taylor said that now Azzanni, along with Willie Martinez who also recruited him, is gone his recruitment is now open.

But also added that he is still committed to Tennessee.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/837692272586129408

Blowin' him up

QuoteAlontae Taylor, a 4-star wide receiver committed to rival Tennessee, woke up to about 50 text messages from the Tigers' coaches on Friday morning.

The messages received came from several different members of the Tigers' staff, including offensive line coach Jeff Grimes, running backs coach Tommie Robinson, assistant athletic director Sam Nader, offensive analyst Dave Bucar and defensive analyst Ronnie Wheat, among several others.

They all had similar messages for the highly sought-after Tennessee native ...

"All of the coaches on the LSU staff texted me this morning," Taylor told SEC Country. "They can't wait me to get on campus and to make me a Tiger."

"It's a blessing to be seeing all of the love from the coaches," he added.

Taylor committed to Tennessee last summer, but informed SEC Country that his recruitment is not yet shut down. In the past month, the Vols made two critical changes to their coaching staff, including the losses of wide receivers coach Zach Azzani to the NFL and defensive backs coach Willie Martinez to Cincinnati.

That forced Taylor's hand to stay committed but also to consider his other options, including LSU. GM Austin Thomas is spearheading his recruitment.

Last week, the LSU staff pulled a similar stunt with fellow 4-star receiver Joshua Moore. The IMG Academy (Fla.) standout woke up to 70 text messages from the Tigers' coaches, including head coach Ed Orgeron...

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/839194854345277440

QuoteVols announced on Tuesday that junior defensive lineman Dimarya Mixon and redshirt sophomore Charles Mosley are no longer with the football team, though they both remain enrolled in classes.

Shy Tuttle and Kendal Vickers are expected to be out during spring drills, along with defensive end Kyle Phillips.

Mixon was suspended for Tennessee's 38-24 Music City Bowl victory over Nebraska on account of a failed substance test, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Vantage 8 dude

No real secret into how the Vols make the numbers work. Easy to explain: there are so many "five star hearts" in the sky that they've been given a special waiver by the NCAA to recruit as many as they want. ;) :P